Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

Not so fast...

"To comply with FCC local television ownership rules, Sinclair expects to sell the license and certain related assets of its existing stations in Birmingham, AL - WABM (MNT) and WTTO (CW), Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York, PA - WHP (CBS), and Charleston, SC - WMMP (MNT) and to provide sales and other non-programming support services to each of these stations pursuant to customary shared services and joint sales agreements."

How are they going to handle Birmingham?

More shell games, sir!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so fast...

"To comply with FCC local television ownership rules, Sinclair expects to sell the license and certain related assets of its existing stations in Birmingham, AL - WABM (MNT) and WTTO (CW), Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York, PA - WHP (CBS), and Charleston, SC - WMMP (MNT) and to provide sales and other non-programming support services to each of these stations pursuant to customary shared services and joint sales agreements."

How are they going to handle Birmingham?

I'm sure it's already been worked out.

Believe it or not, WHTM and WHP are located just across the street from each other. Both of their staff are already ranting on Twitter after seeing on the press release released by Sinclair via news media sources without being informed by their Albritton/Sinclair management at all. Wow!

I would put my money on Nexstar to buy the WHP license out from Sinclair since they are currently licensed-operating their sister and CW station, WLYH.

Believe it or not, WHTM and WHP are located just across the street from each other. Both of their staff are already ranting on Twitter after seeing on the press release released by Sinclair via news media sources without being informed by their Albritton/Sinclair management at all. Wow!

Expect Nexstar to buy WHP out. I guarantee you that.

Nope, WHP or WHTM is going to a shell - probably Deerfield. I know WGAL is probably happy, but WPMT is probably the happiest of all - they have a golden opportunity to try to move up big time...

Nope, WHP or WHTM is going to a shell - probably Deerfield. I know WGAL is probably happy, but WPMT is probably the happiest of all - they have a golden opportunity to try to move up big time...

I bet there is a celebration ongoing at both stations right now.

I bet there is a celebration ongoing at both stations right now.

I think KTHV, which is #2 in that market I believe, is where the big party is (in Little Rock). The rest of the market is a Nexstar quadropoly that consolidated into one. If Gannett were to get aggressive there, they could try to hire over the KATV people...

Most of the other markets the new Sinclair station is not the #1 station:

WJLA - #2 behind WRC. Gannett might try to make a play to upgrade WUSA and push them up? But WRC now has open water...

WSET - #2 I believe? I know WDBJ/Schurz, which is not exactly a stable owner, is the dominant #1 in the market. WSLS/Media General has seen a lot of problems. So Schurz has the opportunity to build, but that is also the kind of owner I see up for sale in the future - and a prime Sinclair target. Maybe Media General needs to put more resources there in one of their weaker stations.

WCIV - #3 I believe? I know WCSC/Raycom dominates, and I think WCBD/Media General is ahead. Not much change there other than the loss of one low-rated voice (WTAT) in the triopoly.

WBMA+ - #2 or #3? I know it is close between them and WIAT/LIN with WBRC/Raycom a solid #1 (rare for a Fox station). I wonder if Media General wants to try to finally get WVTM moving forward after letting it stagnate in #4 since being demolished by NBCU? Otherwise WBRC has a rare opportunity to become the dominant station, with Fox programming no less.

KTUL - #2 I believe? I think KOTV/Griffin is the market leader, and now they have a chance to cement it and become the dominant station. I heard rumblings they were going to sell to Belo before the Gannett sale, but that is no longer possible. KJRH/Scripps seemed so out of place with NBC, and is a distant third.

WSET - #2 I believe? I know WDBJ/Schurz, which is not exactly a stable owner, is the dominant #1 in the market. WSLS/Media General has seen a lot of problems. So Schurz has the opportunity to build, but that is also the kind of owner I see up for sale in the future - and a prime Sinclair target. Maybe Media General needs to put more resources there in one of their weaker stations.

I would think Sinclair/Deerfield/etc. will try to grab WFXR/WWCW.

Wow, maybe Media General really needs to get aggressive there. WSLS is a weak station for them, but perhaps having WRIC next door will help them in SW Virginia. Schurz is one of my top 5 likely next takeover targets - and surely Sinclair will be in play there as well.

I said that earlier. They've basically been speculated as been the contender of the Milton Grant stations. I even said that if Sinclair didn't get at least WSET, then getting the Grant's flagship station would be meaningless.

Either Stealfield, Cunningrab, or that Uncle Tom shell.

Wow, maybe Media General really needs to get aggressive there. WSLS is a weak station for them, but perhaps having WRIC next door will help them in SW Virginia. Schurz is one of my top 5 likely next takeover targets - and surely Sinclair will be in play there as well.

I hope Sinclair doesn't acquire Schurz. It would be meaningless anyway getting WDBJ, while you already have WSET and possibly WFXR, too. Should Schurz go on the block, I would like to see either Raycom or LIN acquire WDBJ. For the flagship I would love to see Journal acquire WSBT and file for a tempo waiver to keep the paper & and radio intact.

I said that earlier. They've basically been speculated as been the contender of the Milton Grant stations. I even said that if Sinclair didn't get at least WSET, then getting the Grant's flagship station would be meaningless.

That will be what puts them over 150 stations, although losing WHNT in Huntsville hurts their cause for gaining a duopoly there, unless Calkins puts WAAY on the market in the future (WAFF/Raycom is highly unlikely to be for sale anytime soon).

I think KTHV, which is #2 in that market I believe, is where the big party is (in Little Rock). The rest of the market is a Nexstar quadropoly that consolidated into one. If Gannett were to get aggressive there, they could try to hire over the KATV people...

Little Rock is a mess, but I wouldn't exactly wave the white flag on KATV. If there's one thing about Allbritton, they tended to do stuff on the cheap at their stations (Even the HD upgrades at most of its stations were done cheaply). In KATV's case, they'll manage, even under Sinclair ownership, which is still better than what happened with KLRT.

WJLA - #2 behind WRC. Gannett might try to make a play to upgrade WUSA and push them up? But WRC now has open water...

WJLA is the big loser in all of this. All the years in which they've operated like an ABC O&O, it's now likely to get thrown into the trash in favor of the conservative firebrand Sinclar is famous for. Dark days are ahead.

WCIV - #3 I believe? I know WCSC/Raycom dominates, and I think WCBD/Media General is ahead. Not much change there other than the loss of one low-rated voice (WTAT) in the triopoly.

WSET and WCIV will manage somehow in those two markets despite not being top rated stations. It all depends on what Media General does with WSLS and WCBD respectively post-merger with Young Broadcasting.

WBMA+ - #2 or #3? I know it is close between them and WIAT/LIN with WBRC/Raycom a solid #1 (rare for a Fox station). I wonder if Media General wants to try to finally get WVTM moving forward after letting it stagnate in #4 since being demolished by NBCU? Otherwise WBRC has a rare opportunity to become the dominant station, with Fox programming no less.

Another triopoly in the making if you're counting the WBMA/WJSU/WCFT cluster as one station (even with WTTO and WABM being transferred to Deerfield or Cunningham). Whatever losses happen at 33/40 will likely be the gain of WBRC and WIAT, unless Media General finally decides to give WVTM a needed shot in the arm.

KTUL - #2 I believe? I think KOTV/Griffin is the market leader, and now they have a chance to cement it and become the dominant station. I heard rumblings they were going to sell to Belo before the Gannett sale, but that is no longer possible. KJRH/Scripps seemed so out of place with NBC, and is a distant third.

I don't see too much of a shakeup happening at KTUL (even with KOTV being the dominant station in Tulsa), although KOKI (now owned by Cox) and KJRH could make possible gains at KTUL's expense ratings-wise.

Only a matter of time before talks of mass layoffs and consolidation happens for those two stations if the sale goes through. You think they're angry now, it'll likely get worse before the dust settles.

I'm afraid if the Feds tell Gannett that they must sell spin-off KMOV and KTVK to a completely different owner in the Belo buy, that those stations may go to Sinclair. Having these stations go to the Sander shell company would be better for these stations, incredibly.

I'm afraid if the Feds tell Gannett that they must sell spin-off KMOV and KTVK to a completely different owner in the Belo buy, that those stations may go to Sinclair. Having these stations go to the Sander shell company would be better for these stations, incredibly.

I definitely agree. The only other hope there is a trade with another reasonable company, such as Cox, Scripps or Hearst who has no conflicts in that market, for a similar-sized market station of theirs elsewhere where Gannett has no assets.

I definitely agree. The only other hope there is a trade with another reasonable company, such as Cox, Scripps or Hearst who has no conflicts in that market, for a similar-sized market station of theirs elsewhere where Gannett has no assets.

Scripps does own KNXV in Phoenix. And, with their anti-popular-syndication mandates, that would be a death blow to KTVK/KASW.

One thing for sure is that Mac McFarland and Del and Jewell Lewis will be rolling in their graves (Del may still be alive, but I'm not sure) if Sinclair gets their fingers on KTVK.

Where is Sinclair getting all of this money? Do they really have an extra $1 billion lying around somewhere? They're about to spend themselves into oblivion.

And they might as well call WJLA "Fox 45 DC", that's how they're going to treat it. This is now WUSA's time to shine since we all know that Sinclair isn't going to put the amount of money required for the station to remain competitive in a competitive market like DC.

Sadly can't say I'm surprised. Sinclair seemed liked the leading candidate after their (assuming) big loss for Local TV. Really the only hope I had was for ABC and WJLA but they obviously weren't as interested as many of us hoped.

Needless to say WJLA has by far the most to lose, as their news department will be significantly transformed and probably widely trimmed in the coming months when the sale goes through. Sinclair getting in the DC market must be their version of heaven. WHTM and WHP's pending bloodletting seems a foregone conclusion and the reaction at those stations is already publicly angry which is very telling.

If there's any good news, I agree with TennTV83 that for the rest of these stations, there probably won't be massive changes for a while. In Birmingham, 33/40 might be at risk of seeing some of their long-time and very popular talent being let go to trim the budget, which will surely have WBRC and WIAT waiting to snatch them up, but I'm not sure on that. Sinclair might see Birmingham as a market to build commitment.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/sinclair-to-buy-allbrittons-stations-for-985-million_b98878#disqus_thread

I thought this was interesting.

"David Smith, the President and CEO of Sinclair, says he is “especially excited” about adding Albritton’s 24-hour news channel to Sinclair. “We are especially excited to acquire the NewsChannel 8 local news channel, not only for the content it can provide our existing news stations, but moreover because their regional cable presence provides the perfect platform should we decide to expand it into other markets, especially given the amount of local news we produce across our entire portfolio.”

I shudder to think what Sinclair is going to turn News Channel 8 into.

Remember News Central? That's likely what News Channel 8 will become when Sinclair's done with it.

And you thought Fox News was biased.

I imagine it will be a very long term goal but I see them at least trying exactly that. Just hoping it fails as much as the first try.

Archived