Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

So you think if ABC acquires WJLA, ABC is going to keep Wheel & Jeopardy on its respective times? I say this because CBS is planning on switching omg! Insider & ET on KCBS one week from this Monday. And they will follow the same pattern WCBS have done, basically since the Insider program started. Are people are going to be outraged that ET is going to be move from 7pm to 7:30pm and flood KCBS's Facebook wall?

I'm not saying its going to happen or not, and I understand it's going to piss off folks that have been use to seeing Wheel after World News Tonight for a good minute. But I have a strong feeling that if ABC does get WJLA, they're going to go with consistency. Basically, I'm saying that they'll do it just for the hell of it, even if it doesn't benefit anything by switching shows.

Whatever the case, Chicagoans will still know the answers to Jeopardy! before the other ABC stations!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you think if ABC acquires WJLA, ABC is going to keep Wheel & Jeopardy on its respective times? I say this because CBS is planning on switching omg! Insider & ET on KCBS one week from this Monday. And they will follow the same pattern WCBS have done, basically since the Insider program started. Are people are going to be outraged that ET is going to be move from 7pm to 7:30pm and flood KCBS's Facebook wall?

I'm not saying its going to happen or not, and I understand it's going to piss off folks that have been use to seeing Wheel after World News Tonight for a good minute. But I have a strong feeling that if ABC does get WJLA, they're going to go with consistency. Basically, I'm saying that they'll do it just for the hell of it, even if it doesn't benefit anything by switching shows.

KCBS is switching those shows because OMG Insider is pulling better numbers than ET- not much though. WOF and Jeopardy have a loyal audience, you don't mess with that plain and simple. If ABC/Disney buys WJLA, they will not be coming in and dictating what to do to a T at the station if things are working fine. Disney/ABC will invest/fix what is needed and the rest is up to the folks at WJLA.

KCBS is switching those shows because OMG Insider is pulling better numbers than ET- not much though. WOF and Jeopardy have a loyal audience, you don't mess with that plain and simple. If ABC/Disney buys WJLA, they will not be coming in and dictating what to do to a T at the station if things are working fine. Disney/ABC will invest/fix what is needed and the rest is up to the folks at WJLA.

They may not but they'll find some sort of way to do so. I have a feeling that ABC is going for consistency. If they have Katie on at 3pm, all the stations will air it at 3pm. If they have Kelly & Michael on at 9am, all the stations have it at 9am. Otherwise, why WLS didn't decide to air Live at 11am on September 9th and keep Windy City Live at its 9am timeslot? Huh? Because of the consistency of the other stations to air Live at 9am. And I think consistency will prevail in this case too, even if they have to replace and hire some new folks to get their 'consistency' across. It would (indirectly) be the station's decision. I mean look at how many years before WLS finally became immune to the Corporate Master's programming and timeslot structure, to be almost in line with the other O&Os? You can say it's the station's decision, but you can't say the Corporate Master didn't have anything to do with it either.

And let me say this too, if you think they wouldn't dictate what to do, then why WLS had to follow through and air Katie Couric at three and move its longtime shows Inside Edition & Jeopardy (which was at the 3:30pm timeslot for the first 28 seasons) one hour earlier. If WLS had their way, then Katie would be aired at 2pm and not as lead in of their 4pm news, like all the stations have. ABC better have a plan should Katie tanks after the '13-'14 season.

If any other group get WJLA, it will be a status-quo. But I just don't see ABC keeping the status quo of airing Wheel & Jeopardy out of their normal pattern.

Whatever the case, Chicagoans will still know the answers to Jeopardy! before the other ABC stations!

.......ANNNNNDDD YOU KNOW IT!!!!!! LOL!

They may not but they'll find some sort of way to do so. I have a feeling that ABC is going for consistency. If they have Katie on at 3pm, all the stations will air it at 3pm. If they have Kelly & Michael on at 9am, all the stations have it at 9am. Otherwise, why WLS didn't decide to air Live at 11am on September 9th and keep Windy City Live at its 9am timeslot? Huh? Because of the consistency of the other stations to air Live at 9am. And I think consistency will prevail in this case too, even if they have to replace and hire some new folks to get their 'consistency' across. It would (indirectly) be the station's decision. I mean look at how many years before WLS finally became immune to the Corporate Master's programming and timeslot structure, to be almost in line with the other O&Os? You can say it's the station's decision, but you can't say the Corporate Master didn't have anything to do with it either.

And let me say this too, if you think they wouldn't dictate what to do, then why WLS had to follow through and air Katie Couric at three and move its longtime shows Inside Edition & Jeopardy (which was at the 3:30pm timeslot for the first 28 seasons) one hour earlier. If WLS had their way, then Katie would be aired at 2pm and not as lead in of their 4pm news, like all the stations have. ABC better have a plan should Katie tanks after the '13-'14 season.

If any other group get WJLA, it will be a status-quo. But I just don't see ABC keeping the status quo of airing Wheel & Jeopardy out of their normal pattern.

.......ANNNNNDDD YOU KNOW IT!!!!!! LOL!

First, Kelly and Michael and Katie are ABC/Disney produced/distributed shows, WOF and Jeopardy are not. Secondly, there is a clause that states that Live with Kelly and Michael has to be aired at 9am and if i'm not mistaken ABC/Disney encourages that the Katie show be aired at 3 or 4pm local time (if not even required). If ABC/Disney was going to dictate 100% how the stations were to be run, then the whole group would have the same graphics package, the same music and be branded as ABC (channel number). However, that is not the case.

Could you please put that in the form of a question? ;)

NC8 actually did produce a newscast for WDCA in the mid-90's, but it was quickly cancelled. Also, the only other station I've heard of with a weekend noon news is WKYC.

WSOC here in Charlotte has a weekend noon newscast when they aren't airing sports programming.

The following is a quote from WJLA's ABC affiliation contract posted at stations.fcc.gov:

"This Affiliation Agreement with ABC cannot be assigned or transferred without timely written notice to ABC as provided below and (except for pro-forma assignments or transfers of control that require "short form" FCC approval on FCC Form 316) without the consent of ABC, which consent may be withheld only in the following three circumstances: a. if the assignee or transferee controls or is controlled by or is under common control with an entity that distributes ten (10) or more hours of Primetime television Programming per week to at least twenty-five (25) affiliated television licensees in ten (10) or more states; b. if the assignee or transferee is not reasonably qualified to own and operate the station; or c. on the basis of reasonable business concerns that arise from prior commercial dealings of ABC with the assignee or transferee; provided, however, ABC shall not unreasonably withhold its consent to an assignment or transfer in the case of b. or c."

So, yes, ABC does have to approve any buyer for WJLA, but there are only three ways they can object to a sale.

No, You are misreading that. ABC does NOT have to approve the buyer of WJLA. They do however have to approve transfer of the affiliation. So, Allbritton can sell WJLA to whomever they wish, ABC cannot stop that. ABC's only recourse if they don't like the new buyer is to terminate the affiliation argreement. (See:KRON/NBC, for an example)

If NC8 were to go seperately from WJLA, the new owner would have to make considerable investments, mainly in the talent department, since WJLA and NC8 share quite a bit. I could see NC8 folding to be quite honest. I can't see it sustaining under any other owner. Tribune would make sense if they had a news producing station in the region which they don't. Let Hubbard stick to the radio stations. I doubt their interested. The only match that remotely makes sense is WRC/NC8. In that case, I see only the channel space going, and not the brand or anything else, since WJLA/NC8 are tightly integrated (WRC puts out a far better product anyways. I don't know why they would want to be associated with a "lesser" news station, even through 8...).

My dark-house candidate for WJLA if ABC didn't get it for whatever reason would be Post-Newsweek since, well, we know what they own there. I'm sure they would LOVE to have a station on their home turf again. I don't really see Hubbard being interested in TV anymore outside of the stations they already own. Sinclair for 7 would also shock the hell out of me and I hope and pray they don't get WJLA...

But Disney will bring back "Newschopper 7" I predict. Why would they want to use WRC's helicopter? From what I've read, it's just sitting in the hangar going unused.

It would be fascinating to see WJLA anchor Gordon Peterson associated with the WTOP-TV calls again (he started his career at WUSA's antecedent, WTOP-TV/9, in the early 70s).

WTOP is so much of a revenue giant that Hubbard could realistically afford it. And NC8 would be a fine complement and brand extension for both WTOP and government-news driven WFED/1500 "Federal News Radio." TV is the only weakness in WTOP's brand dominance in Washington media, as they are a veritable power in both radio (often going head-to-head with NPR outlet WAMU-FM for #1 in the DC PPMs) and the Internet.

So yes, Hubbard is easily a dark horse candidate to buy WJLA, assuming that ABC is the prohibitive favorite.

I think NC8 is an afterthought in this whole deal. I assume it will just get bundled with WJLA.

Hubbard is so far down the list, I don't even know if I'd consider them in the running. The only market they have a TV/Radio cluster is here in MSP and the synergy done there is slim to none. There is the occasional weather report or news update not always read by the TV talent even, that's about it. Heck, all the stations carrying the KSTP calls brand themselves differently even. So, they don't even have the "flagships" carrying a unified "KSTP" brand. If you didn't see or hear the TOH id's you may not even know they share them. The idea that they would buy a station in a market much larger then their home market just to bolster the radio cluster seems far fetched to me. I have know idea what the heck Hubbard is doing scooping up large/medium market radio clusters as of late. Could be just to a good deal to pass up? Only real way he can grow the empire, getting priced out of TV buying? Delusional, and needs the keys taken away? IDK? And, I could be wrong but, I've said it before that I think Hubbard will eventually be one of the acquired.

I could also see Post-Newsweek being considered a dark horse. Not sure that their station group won't go the way of Belo and be swallowed up overnight. But, it would send a message like Tribune that they want to stay in the TV business.

sanewsguy, I get the impression you love your choppers. :p But, to answer your question: The airspace restrictions in place in DC also had a hand in forcing the helicopter share(s). So, I'm not so sure you'd see that unwound.

Tribune might still be interested in the rest of the stations, especially if they want to diversify their "Big 3" affiliation base beyond the legacy NYT station group. The only market they will have overlap in would be Harrisburg, and that's about it.

If Tribune could finance the deal this is right in their wheelhouse. However, I'm not sure they can and think they have made there move in one big swoop already.

Random thoughts at this time:

1. My list of Potential Buyers for WJLA in order: Scripps, Hearst, ABC, Tribune, CBS, the rest.

2. I have this gut feeling that ABC isn't going to buy WJLA unless their hand is forced. I think they would prefer Scripps or Hearst first. They have never really shown an interest in growing their OTA portfolio. So, If you can have one of your premier affiliate groups do it for you, all the better. If that fails then they will step into the fray.

3. I think ABC should be able to get a bit of an idea on who is at least interested by way of the afflilation agreement "opt-out." I would think most groups would attempt to get "feelers" as to how ABC would feel about them owning the station. They may get nowhere with it. But, I can't imagine a group "pulling a Young" and buying with the hope you will maintain the affliation. So, ABC might have some idea on who is planning to bid.

4. Although, a big long shot I think CBS would be more interested in an O&O in DC then ABC even would be. CBS has at least shown some willingness to buy. Granted most of the recent purchases were duopoly oppertunites. But, there has been some chatter. And, never discount the ablility of Les Moonves to plant his flag in DC and relish the opportunity stick it to one of his biggest competitors at the same time.

5. The rest of the group gets split like Newport Television.

6. Buyers for the rest, in no particular order. Sinclair, Cox, Tribune, Nexstar.

WSOC here in Charlotte has a weekend noon newscast when they aren't airing sports programming.

WPVI also airs a Sunday noon newscast. KSAT also aired a Saturday 11AM newscast a couple years ago before cancelling that due to low ratings (they now have traditional weekend morning newscasts). It's not common but it isn't unusual.

I hadn't thought about Tribune getting NC8 - though it could make sense with WDCW - they could add a local newscast to DC50. WJLA and NC8 share some reporters and often remotes, but the primary talent aren't the same.

Even with Tribune (or another broadcaster without an existing DC infrastructure) picking up NC8, there could be still be a synergy with ABC7 - ABC stations do source prime time newscasts for other stations (SFO and RDU) - so they could extend to NC8, especially as the new owner ramps up staff on the cable station.

J

Sorry compubit, but I don't see that happening. Tribune doesn't seem to be one to invest in start up newscasts, or if they have, they usually end up getting shuttered or are a shell of their former selves. There's two things Tribune isn't, and that's stupid and incompetent. Yeah, they may have screwed up under Randy Michaels, but he's gone and so is most of his management team. They have decent executives now like Larry Wert and Peter Ligouri, who aren't stupid. They know what they're doing. This is the impression I get from Tribune: they would rather sacrifice their smaller, not so well known operations, like KDAF, KIAH, WSFL, WGNO, WPHL, and invest in their legacy stations (or ones that tend to do well in the ratings) like WGN, KTLA, WXIN, KCPQ, WTIC, etc. There's a reason they haven't started a newscast on WDCW: it'll probably do terrible. WTTG does extremely well in the ratings for being a Fox affiliate, and Fox 5 owns the 10PM timeslot there. That is why the other DC stations don't bother at that time.

From Wikipedia: "As an independent station [the calls were WFTY at this point], the station carried a 7:30 p.m. newscast produced by NBC owned-and-operated station WRC-TV, titled 7:30 News Headlines, which launched on January 14, 1991; the newscast suffered low ratings during its run and ended almost ten months later on October 25, 1991."

So why would they bother again? If Tribune gets 7 (likely they won't), I can see them keeping NC8. But not standalone. They are literally in the same building and use a lot of the same equipment. The primary anchors may be different--whoopie-doo. But if anyone buys NC8 separate, they would have to make the investment in infrastructure (all new equipment, new set, etc.) and I don't think Tribune would be willing to spend that money. I don't even think Allbritton is offering NC8 up separately. Like I said, if ABC gets WJLA, they will just pull the plug on NC8. The only way NC8 will survive IMO is if WRC buys it, since they already have the infrastructure to take over NC8 ops in a timely manner.

First, Kelly and Michael and Katie are ABC/Disney produced/distributed shows, WOF and Jeopardy are not. Secondly, there is a clause that states that Live with Kelly and Michael has to be aired at 9am and if i'm not mistaken ABC/Disney encourages that the Katie show be aired at 3 or 4pm local time (if not even required). If ABC/Disney was going to dictate 100% how the stations were to be run, then the whole group would have the same graphics package, the same music and be branded as ABC (channel number). However, that is not the case.

This seems correct. KSAT airs Live w/ Michael and Kelly at 9am. Then they air Katie at 3pm before the 4pm news. I doubt anyone cares that WoF airs before J!. Even I didn't notice that until CircleSeven brought it up... It's great though that they already have practically all of the shows the other O&Os air which makes the ownership transition easier if ABC indeed gets it.

sanewsguy, I get the impression you love your choppers. :p But, to answer your question: The airspace restrictions in place in DC also had a hand in forcing the helicopter share(s). So, I'm not so sure you'd see that unwound.

yep, IMO every news station should have their OWN chopper. I'm glad I live in a market where the "Big-3" all have their own chopper. (KABB doesn't but that's Sinclair for ya. I'm shocked WOAI still has one under them but I imagine they will be getting rid of it soon).

Some conclusions out of all this:

1) Either the group goes whole, or WJLA is separated and the other 8 stations (6 + 2 satellites) go together. A piecemeal deal is unlikely, and if they are separated, it is probable that WJLA goes to ABC/Disney and becomes an O&O.

2) The cost will likely be about $1 billion to purchase the entire group, of which about half is for WJLA and half for the remainder.

3) Allbritton ranks 21st on the BIA-Kelsey list (after the Belo, Young and Local TV LLC groups are removed). Most likely, any whole buyer would need to rank at least double the revenue of Allbritton to including WJLA in the package and at least around the level of Allbritton for the remainder, limiting it to a relatively small number of groups:

• Possibly including WJLA: ABC/Disney (unlikely to buy whole, but who knows?), Cox (unlikely IMO), Hearst, LIN, Scripps, Sinclair, Tribune
  • Most likely only excluding WJLA: Gannett, Journal, Media General (unlikely IMO), Nexstar, Raycom

Other things to consider is who has the money available. After the Belo acquisition, Gannett may not be ready to spend another $500M or so (not counting WJLA which would conflict with WUSA), and Media General probably doesn't have the money after the Young merger as well (plus they have 3 conflicts). Tribune might have the $1B to purchase it all given what they are left with though, especially if they sell their newspapers.

That leaves Hearst, Scripps and LIN as the ones who can block Sinclair if Disney takes a pass. Hearst has been quiet but certainly has the money - if they are willing, they might be a favorite (although the conflict in the Susquehanna Valley might be an issue). Scripps and LIN have made smaller acquisitions and can fit them mostly in well (with one conflict each as well), and are more likely willing to enter the race.

Take out WJLA and Journal and Raycom might enter the game as well - Raycom has 2 conflicts, Journal can absorb the portfolio whole with no issues (and with the WTVF purchase, it could be a sign they might want to expand). But those might be less likely.

In the end: WJLA is Disney's if they want it I believe. If they pass, then Sinclair will likely be hungry, but we have seen them get outbid or denied with Local TV LLC. IMO Hearst is in the best position to block Sinclair if they are willing, with Scripps, Tribune and LIN Media right behind them and are more likely to bid. If WJLA goes to Disney, top dark horse candidate IMO is Journal - no shells or divestment required from them. If Hearst or Scripps takes over, a side deal may be in store for their overlapping station (WHTM for Hearst, KTUL for Scripps) since they would need to start a shell just for that one station each. Unless newspaper ownership becomes an issue...

Disney tried to buy WJLA in past

You're right (1998 to be exact), but the deal failed to materialize (I don't know why, since I can't read the whole article). But this one involved the entire group (also note that Allbritton also included WJXX and WBSG at the time). I think the purchase price at the time was too high or Disney wasn't willing to pay much for them, I don't know.

I think this time around though, they just want WJLA. I don't see networks wanting "small" markets like Harrisburg, Charleston, Tulsa, Little Rock, Birmingham, or Lynchburg/Roanoke. They may not be "small" markets by definition, but they definitely aren't desirable markets. DC, OTOH, is a very lucrative market. Also, note that back then, Disney was under the leadership of Michael Eisner and was a far different company than they are now under Bob Iger. Let's just say their priorities are probably different...

2. I have this gut feeling that ABC isn't going to buy WJLA unless their hand is forced. I think they would prefer Scripps or Hearst first. They have never really shown an interest in growing their OTA portfolio. So, If you can have one of your premier affiliate groups do it for you, all the better. If that fails then they will step into the fray.

ABC/Disney might not be interested in growing their portfolio of O&O stations, but what about improving it by turning around and selling one (or more) of their stations at the same time they buy WJLA?

As far as I can tell, ABC is (ironically, considering Iger's pedigree) of little priority to the present-day Disney (they are more focused on creating and/or exploiting family-oriented intellectual properties; their acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm, as well as the backseat that Touchstone has taken and the sale of Miramax, all point in this direction).

Also, Disney's move to buy Allbritton/WJLA was made during the post-Telecommunications Act of 1996 consolidation-mania, but not wanting anything but WJLA was a sign that Disney wasn't crazy about broadcast expansion...

(As for selling off a station, there is no pressing need to unload WTVD or KFSN; I wouldn't rule out a sale of WTVD happening at some point, but KFSN is in the same state as KABC and KGO and, frankly, with Sinclair and Nexstar present in/expanding to Fresno, I would like for ABC to keep it.)

You're right (1998 to be exact), but the deal failed to materialize (I don't know why, since I can't read the whole article). But this one involved the entire group (also note that Allbritton also included WJXX and WBSG at the time). I think the purchase price at the time was too high or Disney wasn't willing to pay much for them, I don't know.

I think this time around though, they just want WJLA. I don't see networks wanting "small" markets like Harrisburg, Charleston, Tulsa, Little Rock, Birmingham, or Lynchburg/Roanoke. They may not be "small" markets by definition, but they definitely aren't desirable markets. DC, OTOH, is a very lucrative market. Also, note that back then, Disney was under the leadership of Michael Eisner and was a far different company than they are now under Bob Iger. Let's just say their priorities are probably different...

channel2 pretty much answered this above. ABC really was only interested in WJLA then, too. The belief at the time was they would turn around and sell the other stations. The late 90's-early 00's consolidation made them explore getting bigger. I don't think they really didn't want to do it then either. They were kind of forced to explore it do to the marketplace at the time. This is just history repeating itself in my mind. Their priorities weren't really focused on the O&O group then either. And, with the leadership change, cable becoming an even bigger cash cow along with all the other interests they have (as channel2 listed above) this focus has only been exacerbated further.

ABC/Disney might not be interested in growing their portfolio of O&O stations, but what about improving it by turning around and selling one (or more) of their stations at the same time they buy WJLA?

ABC doesn't really sell stations, either. The exception to the rule being WJRT/WTVG. Quick break down of why WJRT/WTVG were added and removed from the ABC O&O group. (Copied & pasted from a post I made at the506 because I'm to lazy to retype it.)

ABC stations (WJRT, WTVG) -> SJL Broadcasting: These two stations were originally purchased with the sole intention of making sure the Detroit area had an ABC affilate during the 1994-95 affilate shake-up. Once a new agreement w/ Scripps was reached rendering CBS overtures toward WXYZ useless these two stations were no longer needed. The ABC group only contains stations signed on by them or CapCities, save for a few divestures that were required (including WXYZ) during the ABC/CapCities merger. ABC historically hasn't acquired stations (exempting the CapCities merger) except for these two stations. It took 16 years to move them but they never were part of the group and served there purpose at the time.

The ABC O&O group is so low on totem pole at Disney it's really kind of an afterthought to them. It's just kinda "there" if you will. It serves it's purpose but, doesn't really comand attention of the big bosses. At the time the time of the sale of WJRT/WTVD in 2010 A Disney spokeswoman said the company has "no plans" to sell any more of its O&Os, and there are "no current plans" to acquire additional stations. So, with regards to the current outliers, WTVD/KSFN: Both are safe do to Disney's general apathy towards the O&O group. "It is what is", it's never changed one way (growing) or the the other (shrinking.) And, KSFN also has a unique role of doing research and testing of new technology to see if it can be rolled out to the rest of the stations. For example as part of that role it serves as the hub for the LiveWell Network feeds on the O&O's.

Again, based on their history they don't buy or make moves unless forced to (see: WJRT/WTVG.) So, I don't see any reason why buying ABC buying WJLA would be treated any different. If they feel they have to buy it they will. But, if they can stand pat on the sidelines they will. History has shown us that.

Just a random thought I had--

I could maybe see a situation where, if no one wants NC8, maybe Allbritton keeps it and tries to convert it into Politico TV. The Politico website has a pretty deep video library and likes to do live coverage of major political events, roundtables, etc. I don't see that going away once the TV properties are sold. Why not try the cable route and at least get some extra sub fees out of it...maybe even take it national?

I dunno. Just an idea.

Just a random thought I had--

I could maybe see a situation where, if no one wants NC8, maybe Allbritton keeps it and tries to convert it into Politico TV. The Politico website has a pretty deep video library and likes to do live coverage of major political events, roundtables, etc. I don't see that going away once the TV properties are sold. Why not try the cable route and at least get some extra sub fees out of it...maybe even take it national?

I dunno. Just an idea.

I think if anything, if WJLA's new buyer doesn't want NC8, Comcast might take over the channel. They have some experience running NECN (New England Cable News), and as someone mentioned earlier, having WRC in town will make it a fairly easy transition.

Although it sounds like a nice idea, the amount of time and capital that would have to be put into running Politico TV is exactly why Alibritton is getting out of the TV broadcasting business.

Disney/ABC might be the speculated buyer of WJLA but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to bid on WJLA. The worst kept secret inside the Walt Disney Company is that they would unload ABC and its stations the moment they had a chance to. From a financial standpoint, Disney's purchase of ABC is considered to be a blunder with a poor return on investment. As another poster said, the ABC stations and the ABC network are not too high up on Disney's totem pole.

Disney/ABC might be the speculated buyer of WJLA but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to bid on WJLA. The worst kept secret inside the Walt Disney Company is that they would unload ABC and its stations the moment they had a chance to. From a financial standpoint, Disney's purchase of ABC is considered to be a blunder with a poor return on investment. As another poster said, the ABC stations and the ABC network are not too high up on Disney's totem pole.

Yeah, some of Disney's decisions regarding ABC have me scratching my head (like their insistence of making ABC more female-centric). It seems to bring in fairly mediocre ratings. Plus the way they've been taking more and more sports programming off of ABC and moving it over to ESPN makes me feel bad about how little sports coverage ABC has compared to CBS, NBC or even Fox.

Say ABC/Disney gets first right of refusal for the whole group and gets to cherry pick stations. They could get WJLA and WHTM and they could share resources because the markets do border in parts of south PA. Even if they got those two stations, it may be interesting to see the ratings in Harrisburg. WGAL is so prominent there and if WHTM becomes an O&O, some may find that respectful and turn to 27.

WHTM won't become an O&O I guarantee you. To ABC, WHTM is probably "small-market". Anything outside top 25 to the networks, I'd say they consider "small market". Not necessarily the affiliate groups, but mainly the networks.

There have been rumors for years about Disney's desire to spin off ABC. If they do choose to acquire WJLA, I don't think that proves Disney's renewed confidence in the network as much as it might be them trying to boost ABC's value for a spinoff.

Some value-building they're doing; the network's ratings are in the toilet, they've been gradually dropping sporting events from the network (the only things of value they have left are college football and the NBA), and said spinoff probably wouldn't include any cable channels (ESPN is one of Disney's crown jewels, ABC Family does respectably, and these people sure as hell aren't getting rid of the Disney Channel; it's very popular with its target audience and it doesn't run traditional commercials, meaning that it's a valuable self-promotional tool for Disney).

ABC's primary usefulness to Disney is in marketing its products, and even without it Disney's marketing machine is a powerful thing.

Speaking of syndication, also if they do get it, they should switch times on Wheel & Jeopardy to match the other O&Os (Wheel airs before Jeopardy on WJLA).

When WBTV aired Jeopardy and Wheel in the 80s, they switched their times after a while. Jeopardy aired at 5 followed by Wheel at first, then they flipped. I remember an "Alex shaved his mustache" promo. Not sure of the reasoning.

Now they're on WCNC at 7, Jeopardy goes first. Wheel didn't go directly to 36, however. In the early 90s it was on WSOC at 7:30 after ET. WCNC picked up Wheel in 1996.

Archived