Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

If I were Raycom, I wouldn't want my "flagship" station to be a 4th place bottom feeder that's only been on the air for the past 30 years or so...just because it's the largest market they serve (WOIO).

Unlike WOIO, most of Raycom's stations rank very well in their markets (1st or 2nd place). WBTV ranks 2nd in Charlotte and WSFA dominates the Montgomery market.

Then again, CBS's largest owned stations have suffered for decades....especially WCBS, KCBS and WBBM.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I had asked this in another thread but which chopper is the pool chopper for the DC stations? It would be nice to know this and would help strengthen my arguments. I think it's either WJLA or WTTG but not sure.

They use WRC's Chopper 4.

WTTG/WRC starting sharing aerial footage sometime prior to November of 2008. It originally started with one stations chopper flying in the morning, the other in the evening (dated 11/14 in the link.) Eventually, WTTG parked their bird leaving WRC's as lone bird in the partnership. Fox/NBC offically started their "Local News Service" partnership in DC in June of 2009. Gannett entered the partnership at that time, however they opted out of the aerial sharing at the time. Sometime in early 2010 WJLA parked their bird and started receiving footage from WUSA's chopper. Then, in June of 2010 WUSA parked their chopper which was sent to Miami (dated 6/19 in link.) The WUSA/WJLA partnership then joined up with the WTTG/WRC partnership. And, thus left WRC's Chopper 4 as the surviving bird in DC.

Okay, seriously...

can we stop with this "flagship station" thing? Please? Because I think the line is blurred.

I think of all the big groups, CBS and Tribune are the only ones that have a clear "flagship" - WCBS (which is effectively running all of the O&Os now), and WGN. (There are a few others that are clear too, but CBS and Tribune are top five.)

ABC? Well, yeah, WABC is the flagship, but where does all of their leadership come from? WPVI. That's clearly the station ABC has wanted their stations to emulate, ever since CapCities.

Fox? I'd be willing to bet that if you asked Roger Ailes, he'd say "WNYW", but if you asked whoever the president of the Fox network is now, he'd say "KTTV". You can make a case for both, but since Fox is more based in LA than the other networks (as news is treated as a separate thing, O&Os aside), I'd say KTTV.

And NBC...? I'm not so sure WNBC is the automatic answer anymore. Yeah, they're still technically the flagship of NBC. But look at New York's newscast... then look at WCAU. It's clear the station Comcast is focusing on isn't at 30 Rock, but at 10 Monument. Which, at the end of the day, makes sense. Steve Burke might be working out of Rock Center, but the guy who ultimately signs the paychecks is at a different Center about 100 miles south. And when Brian Roberts wants to check on his network, when the cable guys want to demo their technology on the network they own, they will be Turning To 10.

So yeah, "flagship" isn't a cut and dry thing these days.

If I were Raycom, I wouldn't want my "flagship" station to be a 4th place bottom feeder that's only been on the air for the past 30 years or so...just because it's the largest market they serve (WOIO).

Unlike WOIO, most of Raycom's stations rank very well in their markets (1st or 2nd place). WBTV ranks 2nd in Charlotte and WSFA dominates the Montgomery market.

Then again, CBS's largest owned stations have suffered for decades....especially WCBS, KCBS and WBBM.

To be fair, WOIO has made significant strides over the past year, and has significantly moderated their over-the-top tabloid style (ditching Sharon Reed in favor of Romona Robinson and George Smith helped a lot, too). They aren't what I could call a bottom feeder now.

But I also don't consider WOIO a flagship station, either. Nor have I ever. That honor would go to WSFA, and you could even make a case for WBRC being a flagship.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/68824/for-tribunes-wert-bigger-is-much-better#comments

Count Tribune in the mix as well, they appear quite interested according to their President-GM.

That would create a duopoly in Washington DC with WJLA-WDCA (which I believe could be a legal duopoly) and a conflict in the Susquehanna Valley with WHTM-WPMT (they would need to shell or divest one of them). Otherwise that would actually fit quite well, and they would have sister stations in OKC-Tulsa and a strong Mid-Atlantic cluster.

Even if WJLA goes to ABC, the rest of the group could still go to Tribune. It makes a lot of sense and helps to broaden their affiliate base, especially since they only will have three ABC affiliates after the LocalTV deal goes through.

And I'll throw this out. What's to say Tribune also makes a play for NewsChannel8 with the intent of turning it into a Beltway version of CLTV? The one thing WDCW does lack is a news department...

Ok I asked a Raycom VP a few years back about Raycom's flagship station and he said it was WOIO , and I also asked about WSFA he said that WSFA was Raycom's Home station and I asked was WBTV also a flagship station and he said NO.

Okay, seriously...

can we stop with this "flagship station" thing? Please? Because I think the line is blurred.

I think of all the big groups, CBS and Tribune are the only ones that have a clear "flagship" - WCBS (which is effectively running all of the O&Os now), and WGN. (There are a few others that are clear too, but CBS and Tribune are top five.)

ABC? Well, yeah, WABC is the flagship, but where does all of their leadership come from? WPVI. That's clearly the station ABC has wanted their stations to emulate, ever since CapCities.

Fox? I'd be willing to bet that if you asked Roger Ailes, he'd say "WNYW", but if you asked whoever the president of the Fox network is now, he'd say "KTTV". You can make a case for both, but since Fox is more based in LA than the other networks (as news is treated as a separate thing, O&Os aside), I'd say KTTV.

And NBC...? I'm not so sure WNBC is the automatic answer anymore. Yeah, they're still technically the flagship of NBC. But look at New York's newscast... then look at WCAU. It's clear the station Comcast is focusing on isn't at 30 Rock, but at 10 Monument. Which, at the end of the day, makes sense. Steve Burke might be working out of Rock Center, but the guy who ultimately signs the paychecks is at a different Center about 100 miles south. And when Brian Roberts wants to check on his network, when the cable guys want to demo their technology on the network they own, they will be Turning To 10.

So yeah, "flagship" isn't a cut and dry thing these days.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to start a whole discussion about flagships.

I was just trying to say that even though WUSA may be an underperformer, I think it would be very hard for Gannett to sell the station to another buyer, even if it was CBS.

Whether or not ABC gets their hands on WJLA could influence the future of WUSA....

If ABC gets WJLA, that leaves WUSA as the only non-O&O in the nation's capital. CBS could be hammering for WUSA....and Gannett COULD be willing to sell because....

1. They have been hammered over the past decade in the ratings, (and losing some of their most prominent staff to WJLA, fueling their rise in the ratings)

2. USA Today....how much longer can this "newspaper" last without taking Gannett under?

3. Selling WUSA would give them another 2% of reach they could use in other markets (since they've bought Belo and any cash could come in handy for more expansion!)

And if WJLA goes to another party, then it will give another owner the chance to own the 3rd largest ABC affiliate in the country...

There have been rumblings tha CBS is also looking at WJLA.

There have been rumblings tha CBS is also looking at WJLA.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Pretty much.

If ABC loses out to CBS for WJLA... well, I find it hard to believe that they will be happy being the only network without an O&O in the nation's capital. Gannett may have to brace themselves for hundreds of millions of dollars being thrown their way by ABC for WUSA.

The mere thought of a potential "CBS 7" and "ABC 9" just doesn't feel right since neither station has changed their affiliations since... well, the Dawn of TV. WJLA has been an ABC affiliate longer than any other station (WJZ-TV had that honor prior to the CBS/Group W alliance).

According to Wikipedia, WJLA was a CBS affiliate at the outset, then switched to ABC once WUSA signed on. But I haven't seen this anywhere else...

A CBS-owned WJLA wouldn't be able to use the real Circle 7, anyway; it's a trademark owned by ABC/Disney.

I think it was speculated on here that ABC has right of first refusal to buy them.

Certain stations I believe, not all.

Doesn't ABC have a say in whether or not it's okay for an affiliate to be sold? If so they can keep CBS away from WJLA.

I believe ABC/Disney has to approve of the owner if they are to continue as an ABC affiliate.

To be fair, WOIO has made significant strides over the past year, and has significantly moderated their over-the-top tabloid style (ditching Sharon Reed in favor of Romona Robinson and George Smith helped a lot, too). They aren't what I could call a bottom feeder now.

But I also don't consider WOIO a flagship station, either. Nor have I ever. That honor would go to WSFA, and you could even make a case for WBRC being a flagship.

According to multiple sources at Raycom, both former and current, WFSA is official flagship station. That's why job postings for reporters want 5-7 years experience... in market 119.

You're right on, WBRC would be second. Raycom spends a ridiculous amount of money on that station.

Why would CBS want WJLA anyway? They have a perfectly fine affiliate in WUSA. Whoever heard that and shared it here, it is nothing more than a RUMOR, a very bad rumor.

What I don't get is this insistence that CBS or ABC would want to buy because they want an O&O in the market.

ABC may want to buy WJLA because it's up for sale but I don't see CBS buying WUSA because Gannett has a strong attachment to it and it's a profitable station for Gannett even with it's mediocre ratings.

This is like saying that ABC wants to buy WFAA in Dallas because it doesn't want to be the only network in that market without an O&O. It doesn't make any sense to me.

This is like saying that ABC wants to buy WFAA in Dallas because it doesn't want to be the only network in that market without an O&O. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Dallas wasn't the nation's capital, nor does it have major national network news operations. Washington D.C. is very much a different market and is one where pursuing an O&O may make sense and provide ABC the opportunity to expand their news operations in Washington.

With that said, color me surprised if CBS were to ever buy WJLA. ABC is a different story, though.

Dallas wasn't the nation's capital, nor does it have major national network news operations. Washington D.C. is very much a different market and is one where pursuing an O&O may make sense and provide ABC the opportunity to expand their news operations in Washington.

With that said, color me surprised if CBS were to ever buy WJLA. ABC is a different story, though.

I don't know if ABC would really be expanding their Washington operation though... NBC and Fox have O&Os in DC but their respective national operations in DC remain separate. NBC's DC bureau happens to be in the same building as WRC but they share no reporters or anything other than Steve Handelsman.

Fox's bureau, OTOH, is in a completely separate location from WTTG. While I think it'd be nice for ABC to O&O their own station in the nation's capital, I wouldn't be surprised if another quality broadcaster (aside from CBS or Sinclair) got WJLA and kept it as an ABC affiliate (Scripps or Cox would be good companies to run WJLA).

Does ABC's bureau have room for expansion if ABC wanted to colocate WJLA with ABC News DC bureau?

TVNewsCheck reports that Allbritton is likely to pick two buyers for their stations (they pretty much regurgitate what's already been posted here). They predict WJLA will go to ABC/Disney (not a surprise, obviously), with the remainder going to a company looking for duopoly opportunities. It says not to expect a repeat of what happened in 1999 when Young infamously acquired KRON from Chronicle Broadcasting (and overpaying $800 million in the process) in a transaction that was favored to be NBC's.

They also say don't be surprised if someone else ends up getting WJLA, because ABC hasn't bought a TV station in a long while...

But they may want it this time. The fact that a top-10 market station is coming up, especially in DC, this is definitely ABC's to win.

Other possibilities include (possibly including WJLA): Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, LIN, Meredith, Raycom, Scripps and Tribune.

According to the article, Nexstar or Sinclair are highly favored to get the group (minus WJLA).

Sinclair has stations in Birmingham and Harrisburg (also in Charleston, SC; TVNewsCheck overlooked that apparently) and Nexstar has stations in Harrisburg and Little Rock. LIN has a station in Birmingham, as does Raycom. Scripps has an overlap in Tulsa. Tribune, which recently came out swinging with its $2.73 billion Local TV/FoxCo acquisition, has a station in Harrisburg.

The companies have until Monday to submit bids. It took about a week from Local TV's closing of bids to finding out who the buyer would be. I imagine by the end of the month or early August, we will know who gets the Allbritton stations. This'll be interesting :watch: ...

Also, I don't care what TVNewsCheck says, Nexstar will NOT get KATV. I can't see Gannett being happy with that. KATV will go to Sinclair no doubt. The others could go to anyone else I'd say...

You know One Year Ago today, Newport Television announced the three buyers of their $1.1B deal, having it split among Nexstar, Sinclair & Cox. I wouldn't be shocked if we hear anything either one week from today, or a week from this coming Monday. Let's just say by the end of this month, we will hear who will get the stations. I still think the one to beat to get WJLA alone is ABC. Although I wouldn't get mad if Hubbard, Scripps or Tribune get the big-7 either. Tribune could shock the whole nation again to form an ABC-CW duopoly. Scripps could form a duo-market promotion (similar to what WMBD/WCIA use to do when Midwest Television owned them). And Hubbard can connect the TV station with its radio properties.

IMHO, I think those station revenue buy-hungry fools from 50 miles away from DC were shocked that Tribune would acquire all of the Local TV stations. So I think this time, they will be the most aggressive. Buy why would you continue to buy stations and you continue to mount a boatload of debt? Tell Me That! $1.8B in M&A in almost two years? And something to think about. Sinclair is still considered the front runner of the Milton Grant Stations. Grant's flagship station is Roanoke's WFXR 27. If Sinclair don't get Lynchburg's WSET 13, and since every station group are eyeing duopolies anyway, acquiring WFXR 27 would probably be meaningless. And if Sinclair doesn't get it, you know there will be jubilation. And maybe they can finally end their growing buying spree, quietly. Maybe they should re-evaluate what they should do with each of the 140 stations, including the 83 stations they bought in this 2 year buying craze.

So hats off to the other bidders, and I hope we hear the good news in the coming days. It's sad that Robert is not going to follow the footsteps of his late father. But he'll do fine with his POLITICO and whatever else he's going to do.

In short. ABC, go 'head and get WJLA. You deserve it. Sinclair, Go Home. you've been drunk for too long.

TVNewsCheck reports that Allbritton is likely to pick two buyers for their stations (they pretty much regurgitate what's already been posted here). They predict WJLA will go to ABC/Disney (not a surprise, obviously), with the remainder going to a company looking for duopoly opportunities. It says not to expect a repeat of what happened in 1999 when Young infamously acquired KRON from Chronicle Broadcasting (and overpaying $800 million in the process) in a transaction that was favored to be NBC's.

They also say don't be surprised if someone else ends up getting WJLA, because ABC hasn't bought a TV station in a long while...

But they may want it this time. The fact that a top-10 market station is coming up, especially in DC, this is definitely ABC's to win.

Other possibilities include (possibly including WJLA): Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, LIN, Meredith, Raycom, Scripps and Tribune.

According to the article, Nexstar or Sinclair are highly favored to get the group (minus WJLA).

Sinclair has stations in Birmingham and Harrisburg (also in Charleston, SC; TVNewsCheck overlooked that apparently) and Nexstar has stations in Harrisburg and Little Rock. LIN has a station in Birmingham, as does Raycom. Scripps has an overlap in Tulsa. Tribune, which recently came out swinging with its $2.73 billion Local TV/FoxCo acquisition, has a station in Harrisburg.

The companies have until Monday to submit bids. It took about a week from Local TV's closing of bids to finding out who the buyer would be. I imagine by the end of the month or early August, we will know who gets the Allbritton stations. This'll be interesting :watch: ...

Also, I don't care what TVNewsCheck says, Nexstar will NOT get KATV. I can't see Gannett being happy with that. KATV will go to Sinclair no doubt. The others could go to anyone else I'd say...

I doubt Nexstar is even in play, too expensive for them. Would Gannett be screaming at the hypothetical Little Rock quintopoly, or would they be happy (considering what has been seen as a huge news downgrade for all their stations in the quadropoly, they could easily take the #1 spot in the market back)? How could they even fit that 5th station with shells?

Maybe Disney had WJLA in the bag all along and the other bids are for nothing, with Allbritton simply handing it to them as a formality even if not the highest bidder? That definitely is a possibility.

Sinclair is probably favorite for the rest, with Scripps second in line and LIN Media third in line IMO. I don't know if Raycom will get into the mix, although it does fit their portfolio decently. Hearst and Tribune IMO were more likely to get into the mix if they included WJLA, and with Disney likely to get it, it seems less likely. I'd be shocked if Meredith gets it, since I see them for sale soon personally and that would be a sign they are buying too.

Archived