Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

Neither is Hearst (as someone posted earlier)--doesn't fit their profile. Don't think they'd be interested in purchasing an independent by itself even though it is one of the stronger indies in the US. If anything, they'd buy KPNX (Gannett won't be selling it, but that's more in line with what Hearst would be interested in).

Not to mention that I don't think Scripps would go as far to buy a station in a market as small as Birmingham.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I know why the three other markets will go to the new shell company. Gannett owns newspapers in not only in Phoenix, but in Tucson (Tucson Citizen), Salem (Statesman Journal) and Louisville (The Courier Journal). And of course it would take eons to get a waiver to allow Gannett proper to own the station. Of course in Phoenix & Tucson, Belo have a duopoly in both markets. St. Louis doesn't have a newspaper but both stations (KSDK & KMOV) are THE top-2 highest-rated stations. It would really be interesting to see the FCC paperwork once they file all of that in the coming days.

God I feel so bad for KTVI right now it's not even funny...

God I feel so bad for KTVI right now it's not even funny...

Do you think they will file a complaint to the FCC about the move? I wouldn't be shocked if they do. But they have to realized they have a 2/11 alliance. And the 4/5 SSA would probably be nothing more than maybe slight resources. And they'll probably keep their current respective facilities.

But we have to treat that as a grain of salt, as other stations have done a full consolidation where multiple stations be in one roof, like Nexstar in Little Rock and later this year in Fresno. And knowing how Gannett is too good to trim the fat meat, as they'd done so five years ago. I hope we don't see an ultimatum in St. Louis where the 4 & 5 be in the same building.

Now I know why the three other markets will go to the new shell company. Gannett owns newspapers in not only in Phoenix, but in Tucson (Tucson Citizen), Salem (Statesman Journal) and Louisville (The Courier Journal). And of course it would take eons to get a waiver to allow Gannett proper to own the station. Of course in Phoenix & Tucson, Belo have a duopoly in both markets. St. Louis doesn't have a newspaper but both stations (KSDK & KMOV) are THE top-2 highest-rated stations. It would really be interesting to see the FCC paperwork once they file all of that in the coming days.

So which station gets sold in St. Louis is the question? That will be interesting.

I know this has been discussed before, and I know that Disney NEVER buys TV stations*, but this is a no-brainer in my opinion. In fact, as many times as it has been shot down on TVNT in the past few years, the possibility of an ABC O&O in St. Louis became that much more possible with today's news.

*--Yes, I'm aware of Toledo and Flint, but that was in the "olden" days.

Wonder if this would affect the Live Well network on the Belo subchannels?

Probably not. Disney/ABC owns it so doubtful anything would change. (Plus, one Gannett station--KXTV in Sacramento--already airs it.)

If Gannett makes any of the Belo 'Spirit' stations drop The Spirit of Texas signature, I'll protest. Gannett does do this, remember KARE? I hate their bland and tacky box and color graphics, which look like somebody had fun with some templates.

This is bad. BELO defines a standard of Journalism, and has for decades. Gannett, well, look at them. The past never truly goes away.

Belo - DOA

(Dead on Acquisition)

So which station gets sold in St. Louis is the question? That will be interesting.

Since Gannett will no doubt protect KSDK and keep it in Gannett Proper, I assume that KMOV would be assigned to the new shell side.

Now if you're talking about any other St. Louis station, you better hope Sinclair does not acquire KTVI.

If Gannett makes any of the Belo 'Spirit' stations drop The Spirit of Texas signature, I'll protest. Gannett does do this, remember KARE? I hate their bland and tacky box and color graphics, which look like somebody had fun with some templates.

This is bad. BELO defines a standard of Journalism, and has for decades.

...and Gannett doesn't? They do run a little six-day nationally published paper out of Virginia that's done pretty good for itself since its launch, as well as many, many other local ones nationwide (by the way, they've been around longer). This merger has MUCH bigger implications than what music or graphics a station uses.

It appears as if Belo exec Jack Sander, based out of Phoenix, will be buying the Portland-Phoenix-STL-Tucson-Louisville cluster (and indeed, the Tucson inclusion is due to Gannett half-ownership of the Arizona Daily Star, which I was not aware of). To win over the FCC, shared services will be minimal in Phoenix and St. Louis, meaning that KMOV and KTVK will be fairly independent of their Gannett relatives.

Sander worked at KTSP/KSAZ before his tenure at Belo, and he apparently likes news.

Just hearing about this now. I'm shocked to hear about this.

I will have to join you if they drop the Spirit of Texas signature. Didn't WFAA just get new graphics too?

Retired Austin news anchor (and facebook friend of mine) Ron Oliveira commented about Gannett acquiring Belo.

Although I enjoyed working for Gannett, today's move is unfortunately another nail in the coffin for local TV ownership and huge corporations taking over. It's a dying presence. BELO was a powerhouse and very respected for knowing each of the communities in which it was in. They'll certainly be missed.

Ron previously worked at KVUE-24 in the 1980 to mid 90s and then returned to KVUE from 2002 to 2005 before jumping to KXAN in 1995 and KEYE in 2006.

Just hearing about this now. I'm shocked to hear about this.

I will have to join you if they drop the Spirit of Texas signature. Didn't WFAA just get new graphics too?

The whole Belo Texas cluster, plus WWL went with the new graphics late last year. Belo was hoping they would roll it out to the other Belo stations. We know that will likely not happen now.

I thought there was hope that it won't happen. I still have a certain "hope" that WFAA/KHOU as I call them the "Spirit" stations to get spared. But then we saw what happened to

back on January 25, after dropping that Terry Esau-composed theme, after 17 years of usage. WFAA have used multiple themes, using the familiar logo for going on almost three decades. Should they cave-in to the "Gannett-ization", this would be a huge blow to Quarter-Past-Six clan, after they've completed a more carefully thoughtful, unrushed, second installment of Propulsion, after the first version was extremely rushed in late 2006.

Yeah, its probably a safe bet that this is a foregone conclusion. But I still have hope for those two Spirit stations to keep those themes alive. I just can't picture those two stations using those damn Gannett Color-Bars Graphics.

I also have hope that WHAS would keep Newschannel, as they've been using that theme since '91. But Gannett could standardized this station first with the Graphics and the This Is Home theme.

Overall, this will be a very interesting trip. I just hope they're won't be any mass layoffs, as we've been hearing from many of the other M&As.

I would wish that stations would also keep their long-time music signatures, as they're a key part of their identities as community-centered local TV stations.

Unfortunately, the Gannett meat grinder spares no one; KARE tried and eventually failed as you pointed out. I agree that 615 Music is going to be a big loser after this merger goes through: its music is currently heard on WFAA, WWL, KING/KONG, KGW, KTVK, KTVB, WVEC, WCNC, KVUE, KENS and KHOU; almost all of it will be thrown out when these stations go through the Gannettization process.

Every station directly acquired and operated by Gannett will be thrown into the meat grinder. KMOV and KTVK will more likely than not may be spared, as they will be operated by former Belo exec Jack Sander.

What about San Antonio's KENS 5, that a well respected station too?

Sorry I forgot about KENS! All 4 of those stations are well respected. Here in Houston KHOU isn't the top rated but as far as respect goes they're one of the tops! I don't know much about Gannett but I don't like what I'm hearing. Houston TV blogger Mike Mcguff was pretty shocked too. http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2013/06/khou-wfaa-kens-kvue-and-belo-stations-gannet.html?m=0

It appears as if Belo exec Jack Sander, based out of Phoenix, will be buying the Portland-Phoenix-STL-Tucson-Louisville cluster (and indeed, the Tucson inclusion is due to Gannett half-ownership of the Arizona Daily Star, which I was not aware of). To win over the FCC, shared services will be minimal in Phoenix and St. Louis, meaning that KMOV and KTVK will be fairly independent of their Gannett relatives.

Oh, OK. Never mind my earlier post then.

Sander worked at KTSP/KSAZ before his tenure at Belo, and he apparently likes news.

Minimal my foot. Sure maybe for the first year, but eventually, the news departments are going to consolidate.

People thought Gannett was going to keep separate news departments in Jacksonville too.

B&C has a follow up article. TVNewsCheck even have a descriptive station lineup.

They stating that this Gannett/Belo deal ($2.2B) is the biggest acquisition since the Fox/Local TV LLC ($1.1B) & Clear Channel/Newport TV Deals ($1.1B) in 2008. Newport just unwind its properties for that same $1.1B, only profiting chump change. For over 20 months, Sinclair has acquired the stations from seven station groups for around close to $2B ($1.8B to round it off). Gannett's stock price also went up as well, just under 90 minutes after the announcement.

I'm very happy that this news doesn't have anything to do with Sinclair. Hallelujah!!!

I must wonder if Belo's investors wanted to get paid. We're approaching the top of the market, so if you want to cash out, now seems like a good time.

I'm an investor. I'm very excited. The reason I invested in Belo is because, like many of you, I thought it was a safe bet. I knew that they were a solid broadcasting entity that wasn't going to pull any crap like Sinclair has!

I knew about Gannett's digital conversion, and while I thought that was interesting, the stock price sat a little high for me. Yet, we've been offered a deal to be bought out at a 28% stock premium. I'm excited to see what happens! No. I don't want out. I'm sticking with this acquisition and will own a bit of Gannett by year's end!

The irony, is that I live in Denver, the home of the Gannett flagship. So in a way, my market news leaders will work for me! :D

All I can say to the Belo stations is: prepare for Gannettization. No more of this "Spirit of Texas" or "Spirit of Louisiana" stuff, it's all "This is Home" for you guys now. Also, prepare for black box graphics and droves of viewer complaints because of said boxes.

I don't think quite as quickly as you think. WFAA and KHOU will probably keep Spirit of Texas. Propulsion V.2 was just commissioned. KGW, KING and KMOV will get a new graphics package, but G3 will likely design an entirely new one. The current package was designed with their current station roster in mind. With this big change, I would suspect that the entire gfx package is overhauled, but TiH will remain!

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if G3 is moved out of the KUSA building into something bigger. More graphic designers, supervisors, etc will have to be hired to fill station orders.

I'm looking forward to this new adventure!

Minimal my foot. Sure maybe for the first year, but eventually, the news departments are going to consolidate.

People thought Gannett was going to keep separate news departments in Jacksonville too.

They're going to run into serious trouble though if they have control and consolidate the #1 and #2 stations in the St. Louis market.

I think they're going to try their best to keep the stations separate just to make sure that they don't get in trouble with the FCC.

Although I wouldn't mind if KMOV got sold to someone else...as long as it wasn't Sinclair.

Count me as another person who did NOT see this coming.

I said on another site that I didn't think any of the current major non-O&O stations groups -- Belo, Gannett, Hearst, Scripps, or Lin -- would merge or buy each other but rather acquire smaller station groups. Silly me.

The sad part is that I will likely never have the chance to live in a market that has a Belo station. Ah, well...

On the bright side, perhaps this will bring out the best of both companies, with Gannett looking at the way Belo's doing something and saying "Hey, we like how you're doing that. Keep doing it and help us do it with our other stations."

Does anyone else feel like we're seeing an arms race happening here?

Archived