CBS New Graphics Apparenly Revealed

Jess

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus, if he had not had gotten the video from his "CBS Sources", he would have noticed the numerous instances of KYW Fail throughout the day. They're using five logos simultaneously at this point, they're running syndicated promos with these graphics at the end, they somehow managed to trigger the new bug during the EAS test, and their lineup stills - still using the Creepy Glass Eye - have a gigantic White/Gold Eye-3 with "EYEWITNESS NEWS" underneath. Oh, and let's not mention the mysterious EWN logo animation that randomly popped up that used the generic animate in for promos - but with the box design.

And yes, the EXPECT MORE ads.

They're... okay. But they highlight their lack of talent. One of the spots has generic testimonials, then a flashy montage of Diana Rocco. Who, immediately after this promo airs, goes on to say that Governor Corbett is offering healthcare "to millions of Pennsylvanias".

So yeah, they're right. I do expect more from a newscast. Like, quality anchors who don't mess up lines, branding strategies that aren't what the boss pulls out of his ass one day, and showing us they're doing more, not blowing ad money on a really crappy campaign.

Come to think of it, that sounds like the newscast I'm watching, WCAU...

Yup, I guess those "sources" were the ones who would "mysteriously" lift screen grabs from TVNT and then put them on his site. Even FTVLive linked to his article/website on the new graphics.He has to be getting some kind of kickback from TVNewscheck since they're constantly linking to his website.

So, some of that KYW fail.

As I already noted, most endboards are now in place for their syndicated shows. The exception is Dr. Phil, which boasts the Glass Eye and a blue boxed KYW logo.

At around 2:30, the station aired its EAS est. For whatever reason, it triggered the bug - not the current one but the new design! I've boxed it and enlarged it for detail here:

KYWNewBug.jpg

Nothing else until newscast time. They run a lineup, usually with a sponsor's name that animates to the left of the schedule. When it's unsponsored, they just show the version with the 3's attached "HD" tumor. Today, though, we saw this:

KYWGoldenLogo.jpg

They also had a new teaser graphic they showed during Queen Latifah and Dr. Phil. It's the box logo, but they animate in like the CBS 3 logo does in the promos. Something tells me Peter Dunn told them to go gold...

The question now is will WJZ implement these or stick to the same multicolor scheme they've been using for a while.

In my opinion, I think WJZ would get these graphics. However, do you guys think that they will get a new logo along with the gfx?

What's wrong with that CBS eye KYW is using in that logo? It looks "fake" to me.

As I recall, there are two versions of the iconic eye. One is designed for regular use, the other is a modified version that shows a more noticeable gap between the eyelid and the pupil. The latter is designed to be used for smaller applications, like the bug.

But don't hold me to it.

In my opinion, I think WJZ would get these graphics. However, do you guys think that they will get a new logo along with the gfx?

I think they should have the "13" in Gotham or in the same font that the sister station north along I-95, KYW's been using for their "3" logo.

I think they should have the "13" in Gotham or in the same font that the sister station north along I-95, KYW's been using for their "3" logo.

I agree with you. And it should be gold too. Some might be mad when I say this, but the Group W font 13 is getting OLD to look at.

As I recall, there are two versions of the iconic eye. One is designed for regular use, the other is a modified version that shows a more noticeable gap between the eyelid and the pupil. The latter is designed to be used for smaller applications, like the bug.

But don't hold me to it.

You're right, though I wonder if that still applies with HD programming. Either way, the alternate logo should not be used on a full screen, as it is in the second image HulkieD posted. It looks bad.

KCNC seems to have quasi-implemented these. There are some "Colorado FLOODS" graphics with the blue-yellow-white scheme set in Gotham.

I seen that on CBSDenver.com.

The EXPECT MORE ads.

What are those all about anyway? I know KDKA has their own version of those promos, and I really don't get what they mean.

You're right, though I wonder if that still applies with HD programming. Either way, the alternate logo should not be used on a full screen, as it is in the second image HulkieD posted. It looks bad.

I'm not losing it!

[yt]n_w4oSCJIQk[/yt]

That also makes me wonder if KOIN Local6 (one of the two non-O&Os that is using the current GFX) would get the new GFX and switch their L3s back to Gotham (that's what KOIN did when they had the TVbD/JCbD GFX) or they would go back using the TVbD GFX like WKBN's STILL using(!)

That also makes me wonder if KOIN Local6 (one of the two non-O&Os that is using the current GFX) would get the new GFX and switch their L3s back to Gotham (that's what KOIN did when they had the TVbD/JCbD GFX) or they would go back using the TVbD GFX like WKBN's STILL using(!)

I suspect that KOIN is going to stick with what they have. The yellow/orange is not befitting.

Okay HulkieD, as the unofficial premier authority on Philly television, which version of the current CBS3 logo would you prefer?

Honestly, of the versions right now? I actually like the gold 3. It makes the channel number stand out a lot more since it's the same size as the eye. Plus, on a personal level it reminds me of the WCAU logo from 1991ish, which I love:

WCAU1992.jpg

However, if I could use past variations, since technically the logo is ten years old now, I'd use this one:

CBS3Logo2004.jpg

That one I really liked. It's based off the WCBS logo at the time, but they made it more distinct by reversing the colors on the "CBS" part.

(BTW, thanks for the new slogan that's going in my sig.)

Honestly, of the versions right now? I actually like the gold 3. It makes the channel number stand out a lot more since it's the same size as the eye. Plus, on a personal level it reminds me of the WCAU logo from 1991ish, which I love:

WCAU1992.jpg

WCAU as CBS--those were the good old days...

I suspect that KOIN is going to stick with what they have. The yellow/orange is not befitting.

If they would call JCB and have him to revise his original GFX package without the Yellow/Orange variation. Make it more less like an "O&O-ish" package. No offense.

Not as long as K. C. Robertson remains as WJZ's creative services director.

K. C. had enough influence to prevent the first graphics/music standardization on WJZ (and remember, WBZ, KCNC and WFOR fought tooth and nail to retain elements of their previous identities before ultimately caving) and he has a really good shot of keeping this standardization from being implemented.

I agree with you. And it should be gold too. Some might be mad when I say this, but the Group W font 13 is getting OLD to look at.

That isn't a genuine rendition of the Group W font... more like a crudely redrawn variant. Compare the current "13" to the "13" seen in YouTube videos from the 1980s and 1990s. It's depressing to look at.

What WJZ should do is revert the "13" to the ORIGINAL typeface, colored in gold, and paired with the CBS eye. Similar to what KPIX successfully did earlier this year.

If you say so... Actually, I kind of like Denver television the way it is, affiliation-wise. And it's all thanks to the Westinghouse-CBS merger, and NBC's desire for a Philly station!

I think you missed the reference. The vets will know :)

Archived