CBS New Graphics Apparenly Revealed

Jess

So one of the big questions is whether WJZ will keep or bag Chrome Cues... if they get this GFX.

Surprisingly, the cut of Chroma Cues that WJZ uses for opens actually fits here; there are no timing or pacing issues whatsoever. The thing is, it would sound incredibly cheesy on air with this GFX. Think about it, there's this "uber-sax" jazz-like 1980s news music package playing over a vaguely futuristic 3D open that reminds some of the joy that is Look F. Notice where the problems may begin? Or am I the only one?

Current cuts of Chroma Cues date to 1997. Would Bruce Upchurch be willing to update the music for them now? :confused:

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will CBS2 Chicago get the new graphics? I don't see them using it and I did not get a chance to watch their newscasts.

Another thing is that the Arial font is nowhere to be found when I looked at WCBS and KYW's news graphics.

Yes. They're not.

Observant.

Current cuts of Chroma Cues date to 1997. Would Bruce Upchurch be willing to update the music for them now? :confused:

This is probably heretical, but if he's not in the news music business anymore (Music Oasis's website has been offline for years), could someone else update it?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Turning Point have something similar going on?)

This is probably heretical, but if he's not in the news music business anymore (Music Oasis's website has been offline for years), could someone else update it?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Turning Point have something similar going on?)

Yes. Bruce Upchurch is still in the business. From Wikipedia: "On September 14, 2010 it was announced that Music Oasis, Inc. of Scottsdale, AZ; parent company of ZONE Radio Imaging, acquired Thompson Creative. Bruce Upchurch, its founder and president, has been in the business of creating radio imaging and advertising music under the ZONE moniker for two decades and previously worked for JAM Creative Productions and TM Studios amongst others."

ZONE is still headquartered in Scottsdale. " 7119 East Shea Boulevard, Suite 109

Scottsdale, AZ 85254 USA"

And while I can't find a dedicated website for Music Oasis, inc., this is what Bruce Upchurch's Linkedin Summery started (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bruce-upchurch/4/7b6/86a):

"1989-Present - President/Owner, Music Oasis, Inc, Chicago/Phoenix

2006-Present - President/Owner, Zone Radio Imaging, Phoenix

2010-Present - President/Owner, Thompson Creative, Phoenix"

So as we can see Music Oasis is still in business and I'm sure Bruce would love to update a long dedicated client's package.

http://www.zoneradioimaging.com/zone.html

Considering that they had the new bug in the system a week before the debut... and the thing where they triggered a five-year-old UPN 57 graphic with the old Circle/Triangle/Square design, I'm not surprised.

Mr. NMSA and I now agree that Turning Point has actually never been updated by Mark Haffner himself. It's very likely that Univision, which has a large music division, executed the 2006 and 2013 refreshes of the package that are lumped together with the 1997 version in the NMSA.

Mr. NMSA and I now agree that Turning Point has actually never been updated by Mark Haffner himself. It's very likely that Univision, which has a large music division, executed the 2006 and 2013 refreshes of the package that are lumped together with the 1997 version in the NMSA.

is Mark Haffner the same person who did more people watch news package?

I don't think KDKA will pick up these graphics until they get a new set because the set is due for an upgrade, and the graphics don't match the set.

The only part about this package I can't stand is the music. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I like Enforcer, just not this version of it.

Disagree on the first point. KDKA just had a set refresh (relatively recently, anyway.) Simply put, KDKA does not spend money. On anything. Implementing a graphics package paid for by corporate? Easy. They've already got the team who will implement the changes on staff, so it's only a matter of timing.

I beg to differ... Sounds awful, horrible job from Gari.

Agree with you BOTH on that point. The package is oddly discordant. At points it seems like two overlapping recordings playing asynchronously. I dislike it.

I am also wondering what the chances are that we'll see a gold 2 on KDKA, as KYW has done with their 3.

Disagree on the first point. KDKA just had a set refresh (relatively recently, anyway.) Simply put, KDKA does not spend money. On anything. Implementing a graphics package paid for by corporate? Easy. They've already got the team who will implement the changes on staff, so it's only a matter of timing.

Agree with you BOTH on that point. The package is oddly discordant. At points it seems like two overlapping recordings playing asynchronously. I dislike it.

I am also wondering what the chances are that we'll see a gold 2 on KDKA, as KYW has done with their 3.

jestbiteme, in case you didn't know (which you probably do), the last time they had a set refresh was June of 2009. I'm wondering why they had Susan and Ken anchor Sunday night after the Emmys, but didn't debut the graphics. In my opinion, the graphic computer(s) need an update. I don't think the computers will be able to handle the new gfx.

jestbiteme, in case you didn't know (which you probably do), the last time they had a set refresh was June of 2009. I'm wondering why they had Susan and Ken anchor Sunday night after the Emmys, but didn't debut the graphics. In my opinion, the graphic computer(s) need an update. I don't think the computers will be able to handle the new gfx.

While I would like to see them get a whole new set, the one they have really is very nice, but I think they should look into refreshing some elements (mainly the logos which aren't in the proper font). They really should also go the KPIX route and bring back the Group W font, and because the 2 used to always be gold, gold it in the new logo. It's a nice touch.

Second, I agree with you on the graphics computers. They really should get VizRT.

Finally, I do have a general idea of when KDKA will pick them up, though I am not allowed to say more about it (sorry!). What I will say is this - It took KD and other stations several months to pick up the "current" (now technically old) look after WCBS and KCBS commissioned the package in 2010 (they got it in May, KD and a few others got it in September). The same will hold true this time.

(No, I really won't and can't say more beyond this no matter how much you beg!)

But, I'm glad that KDKA isn't picking them up right away. I just don't think they're ready for them as much as we'd all like to see how they're going to implement this new stuff.

AND....on a somewhat related note, a reporter from WFOR leaked out a bit of info for when CBS4 will get the new graphics: https://twitter.com/RhiannonAlly/status/382451443136868352

The first station to debut the previous O&O package was WCBS on Thursday April 29, 2010. The last station was WBZ on Monday, December 12, 2011.It took one year eight months last time, it will probably take that long this time.

And no, I don't have sources at a CBS O&O so I don't know.

So, that would put WBBM in the November time frame, seeing as they got the package in mid-July in 2010. Just in time for sweeps.

The first station to debut the previous O&O package was WCBS on Thursday April 29, 2010. The last station was WBZ on Monday, December 12, 2011.It took one year eight months last time, it will probably take that long this time.

And no, I don't have sources at a CBS O&O so I don't know.

I doubt it will take that long to get the O&O's using this new graphics pack. Also, weren't WBZ and WCCO holding out as long as possible from adopting the old graphics package? If so, that may be the reason why it took so long to fully implement them group wide.

I do know that (June 16th to be exact!) but factor in that this is basically the set they debuted in 1996 for the "Hometown Advantage" look, and it doesn't look good for a new set.

I think FX Group went out of their way to design a set that would be neutral to minimize the changes needed in the future. It holds up pretty well. Fixing the lighting for the backdrop would go a long way to help, and a better finish at the top with the garish blue and "KDKA.COM ALWAYS ON" and "YOUR HOME" text would make me happy for now. I don't think we'll see a new set or anything anytime soon.

We also won't see any new systems. Most everything was updated around the same time as the set in preparation for the HD launch, and KDKA went with Pixel Power's Clarity at at that time.

I doubt it will take that long to get the O&O's using this new graphics pack. Also, weren't WBZ and WCCO holding out as long as possible from adopting the old graphics package? If so, that may be the reason why it took so long to fully implement them group wide.

At least in WBZ's case, they held out until their new set debuted. The previous one had been in place for nearly 15 years with a few desk/backdrop changes.

So one of the big questions is whether WJZ will keep or bag Chrome Cues... if they get this GFX.

Surprisingly, the cut of Chroma Cues that WJZ uses for opens actually fits here; there are no timing or pacing issues whatsoever. The thing is, it would sound incredibly cheesy on air with this GFX. Think about it, there's this "uber-sax" jazz-like 1980s news music package playing over a vaguely futuristic 3D open that reminds some of the joy that is Look F. Notice where the problems may begin? Or am I the only one?

I actually would like to see that, with a gold "13" in the ORIGINAL font, not the redrawn variant that's been used for the past 12 or so years. Chroma Cues is to WJZ as MCTYW is to WPVI... it can be updated and tweaked to not sound totally dated, but that's about it.

Do note, too, that Chroma Cues was composed for legendary WJZ anchormen Jerry Turner and Al Sanders (Turner died, IIRC, shortly before it debuted) so the theme has seemingly served as a perpetual tribute to those two.

But judging by the station promos posted on wjzcreative.com, the possibility of WJZ getting this GFX package would be a really big IF.

Since that was the system KYW was using up until late last year, it barely could handle the former look.

Really, it all depends on the people setting up the graphics in the graphics system, and not the system itself. There's really nothing in these graphics that Viz would be able to do any better than Chyron or Pixel Power. There might be some things that won't work the same (i.e. Viz can handle intelligent transitions between templates much better than the other two) but no viewers will be lost because some graphics don't move around like they do in another market.

While I would like to see them get a whole new set, the one they have really is very nice, but I think they should look into refreshing some elements (mainly the logos which aren't in the proper font). They really should also go the KPIX route and bring back the Group W font, and because the 2 used to always be gold, gold it in the new logo. It's a nice touch.

Second, I agree with you on the graphics computers. They really should get VizRT.

Finally, I do have a general idea of when KDKA will pick them up, though I am not allowed to say more about it (sorry!). What I will say is this - It took KD and other stations several months to pick up the "current" (now technically old) look after WCBS and KCBS commissioned the package in 2010 (they got it in May, KD and a few others got it in September). The same will hold true this time.

(No, I really won't and can't say more beyond this no matter how much you beg!)

But, I'm glad that KDKA isn't picking them up right away. I just don't think they're ready for them as much as we'd all like to see how they're going to implement this new stuff.

AND....on a somewhat related note, a reporter from WFOR leaked out a bit of info for when CBS4 will get the new graphics: https://twitter.com/RhiannonAlly/status/382451443136868352

I agree with you that some elements of the set should be updated. I think that KD will pick up this package sometime between late October and early November. If I were KDKA, I'd update the set first, then debut the graphics.

As for WFOR, I'm not surprised.

I do know that (June 16th to be exact!) but factor in that this is basically the set they debuted in 1996 for the "Hometown Advantage" look, and it doesn't look good for a new set.

I think FX Group went out of their way to design a set that would be neutral to minimize the changes needed in the future. It holds up pretty well. Fixing the lighting for the backdrop would go a long way to help, and a better finish at the top with the garish blue and "KDKA.COM ALWAYS ON" and "YOUR HOME" text would make me happy for now. I don't think we'll see a new set or anything anytime soon.

We also won't see any new systems. Most everything was updated around the same time as the set in preparation for the HD launch, and KDKA went with Pixel Power's Clarity at at that time.

I kinda knew that because I seen your YT vid about the set. Do you think the computers will be able to handle the graphics?

Archived