Katie Couric - On to the Next?

CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI

I'd hate to say, because Katie is no Barbara, but The View will need someone with a newsy background to sit at the desk once Barbara exits. And unless they give it back to the affiliates, I'm scared to death to think of what ABC might try to put on (at least) its stations to fill that 3pm hour.

As for the ABC O&O's, another hour of local news maybe?

See, that's the thing. A station like WLS would have no trouble filling the slot (bring back midday news), but with the recent announcement of budget cuts across the 8 stations, it seems unlikely they'd shell out money to add yet another hour of news to a block that already 2 to 2.5 hours every afternoon. And one could only imagine the content of those newscasts that would be cheap to air.

See, that's the thing. A station like WLS would have no trouble filling the slot (bring back midday news), but with the recent announcement of budget cuts across the 8 stations, it seems unlikely they'd shell out money to add yet another hour of news to a block that already 2 to 2.5 hours every afternoon. And one could only imagine the content of those newscasts that would be cheap to air.

Maybe they'll go the Scripps way and fill that hour with original shows from Live Well...

This rumor is really nothing new, in fact we've discussed it here on this forum. The only difference is that someone decided to formalize the rumor by writing an article on it. ABC does not want to lose Katie Couric, plain and simple and it just so happens that Barbara is "retiring" next year. Coincidence? Aside from The View, what could Katie do at ABC? Everything is pretty much set on GMA and there is no way in hell Diane Sawyer would allow Katie to be a regular contributor on World News.

I read somewhere, and I will get the article when I have a chance, that ABC was already developing plots for a new talk show. It said they are gonna try to get another big name. Nonetheless, I don't think we've seen the last of GAA. Whether it replaces Katie or GH, I have a feeling it will be back.

When it comes to Katie joining the view, I would love that and think she would fit in well, I think we will just have to wait and see. I do agree with A3N that ABC probably doesn't want to loose Katie and will really try to find a spot for her somewhere at ABC.

On a similar note, Hoda Kotb has been mentioned as a possibility. I think she would be great at The View as well, I would however prefer Katie over Hoda but both would be welcome by me.

I personally enjoy the Katie show, I would love for it to be renewed, I am gonna hold off for a month and see where the ratings are after the second season sets in but I agree as of right now the show is (sadly) on its way to cancelation.

I read somewhere, and I will get the article when I have a chance, that ABC was already developing plots for a new talk show. It said they are gonna try to get another big name. Nonetheless, I don't think we've seen the last of GAA. Whether it replaces Katie or GH, I have a feeling it will be back.

When it comes to Katie joining the view, I would love that and think she would fit in well, I think we will just have to wait and see. I do agree with A3N that ABC probably doesn't want to loose Katie and will really try to find a spot for her somewhere at ABC.

On a similar note, Hoda Kotb has been mentioned as a possibility. I think she would be great at The View as well, I would however prefer Katie over Hoda but both would be welcome by me.

I personally enjoy the Katie show, I would love for it to be renewed, I am gonna hold off for a month and see where the ratings are after the second season sets in but I agree as of right now the show is (sadly) on its way to cancelation.

There were rumors flying around about a month ago, that Robin Roberts was being considered for her own talk show. She came out and refuted those claims, but stranger things have happened...

• 1 month later...

B&C reports this morning that Vieira is a go in 60% of the country. Many of the stations are getting the show, betting that Couric's show wouldn't survive after this season. Hearst (which is the biggest group of ABC affiliates) is also picking up the show.

Should Katie comes back to season three, it would likely have to either place Katie in the morning, or find new stations, should Hearst and others, replaces Katie for Vieira on Katie's timeslots.

"Katie" is gone. She's getting a show on Yahoo! and she'll be a panelist on "The View" with primetime specials on ABC. If she does move on, which is unlikely, she'll go to CNN and host the 9pm replacing Piers, who'll move to 12am.

Also, wouldn't be shocked if GAA came back because Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer have expiring contracts and are looking to expand their presence on ABC beyond GMA according to reports. In order to appease them so that they don't revolt to NBC or somewhere else, they'll probably give them their show back, which had decent ratings. I'm not sure where it'll fit timeslot wise though.

Another option is to convince affiliates to expand GMA to an hour and move Kelly and Michael to the 10am hour, which can't hurt Michael since he comes from L.A. every weekend and also since a lot of non-ABC affiliates already air the show at the 10am hour.

Anyways back to Couric, I doubt she leaves ABC unless (A.) she really thinks she can make a difference at CNN (B.) she works something out to return to "Today" and/or NBC and/or team up with Matt again.

"Katie" is gone. She's getting a show on Yahoo! and she'll be a panelist on "The View" with primetime specials on ABC. If she does move on, which is unlikely, she'll go to CNN and host the 9pm replacing Piers, who'll move to 12am.

Also, wouldn't be shocked if GAA came back because Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer have expiring contracts and are looking to expand their presence on ABC beyond GMA according to reports. In order to appease them so that they don't revolt to NBC or somewhere else, they'll probably give them their show back, which had decent ratings. I'm not sure where it'll fit timeslot wise though.

Another option is to convince affiliates to expand GMA to an hour and move Kelly and Michael to the 10am hour, which can't hurt Michael since he comes from L.A. every weekend and also since a lot of non-ABC affiliates already air the show at the 10am hour.

Anyways back to Couric, I doubt she leaves ABC unless (A.) she really thinks she can make a difference at CNN (B.) she works something out to return to "Today" and/or NBC and/or team up with Matt again.

Wait is this something confirmed or speculation?

I agree with pretty much all of this. This is how I see it playing out. If Katie is canceled, can ABC take back 3pm and put GAA their before many of the ABC stations go to their local news.

If this rumor turns out to be true, I'm guessing a number of "Katie" timeslots on non-ABC O&O stations will go to "Meredith Vieira." As for the ABC O&O's, another hour of local news maybe?

So how long before Ann Curry gets her own talk show? And I'm sure Savannah will be next whenever she departs the Today Show.

Haven't we seen enough based on the dismal failure that was "Jane Pauley" a few years back?

So how long before Ann Curry gets her own talk show? And I'm sure Savannah will be next whenever she departs the Today Show.

Haven't we seen enough based on the dismal failure that was "Jane Pauley" a few years back?

That's exactly why Robin Roberts has said that she's completely satisfied with being on GMA, and why the network has pretty much implied that the anchor chair is hers for however long she wants it.

Yeah the ex morning show anchors trying their hands at afternoon talk shows is becoming redundant.

It's like the requirement of being a comedian in order to host a game show nowadays (Steve Harvey, Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Jeff Foxworthy, Howie Mandel, Cedric the Entertainer, D.L. Hughley, etc).

Meredith is well liked and well known though. She has a potty mouth and is willing to do crazy things for daytime but at the same time she can be serious. Plus, she's hilarious. The direction her show is taking right now is more towards "Katie" which is a problem because trying to make newsy stories entertaining for a daytime audience never works. Meredith should go in the vein of Ellen and Q.L. and do the inspirational stories/funny celeb interviews.

Meredith is well liked and well known though. She has a potty mouth and is willing to do crazy things for daytime but at the same time she can be serious. Plus, she's hilarious. The direction her show is taking right now is more towards "Katie" which is a problem because trying to make newsy stories entertaining for a daytime audience never works. Meredith should go in the vein of Ellen and Q.L. and do the inspirational stories/funny celeb interviews.

So pretty much Katie is a journalist and Meredith is an entertainer... I agree.

Archived