WINK Ft. Myers copying Look F?

Mrtraveler01

I was on the WINK News website from Ft. Myers and noticed that they have a new graphics package that seems to mimic some elements from Look F.

The strangest thing in all of this is that it's the CBS affiliate in Ft. Myers.

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2013-09-18/Lee-County-residents-upset-with-Collier-beach-project#.Ujs2eH9dAhU

What do you guys think?

NBC Artworks: Creating graphics packages so good that everybody wants to still them!

That should really be their slogan.

Say what you will about the new CBS package, THIS, is an undeniable rip-off of NBC.

Yep. It's a BLATANT copy of Look F. Hell, if I was NBC, I would actually be doing something about it. It's practically plagiarism. Not only that, their graphics don't even match...

I'll be in this market next week for vacation and I'll be anxious to see how much of Look F they use for their newscasts, especially if they use it for their opens.

I don't have a capture card so unless you want a video of someone filming the TV, I probably won't be able to provide much.

I'll be in this market next week for vacation and I'll be anxious to see how much of Look F they use for their newscasts, especially if they use it for their opens.

I don't have a capture card so unless you want a video of someone filming the TV, I probably won't be able to provide much.

That's good enough.

Here is one of WINK's latest promos with the new look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999UnDSxR2s

Goodness, it's a bad copy right down to the logo entrance. And, why did they use an Enforcer cut from Disc 2?

Is it possible that maybe ArtWorks made these for WINK?

Artworks would have done a much better job.

Is it possible that maybe ArtWorks made these for WINK?

Seconding this. They've done works for outside broadcasters, even CBS affiliates. To me, it's so close to Look F that it may even be Look F. Doesn't help how ugly that transiion is though.

Seconding this. They've done works for outside broadcasters, even CBS affiliates. To me, it's so close to Look F that it may even be Look F. Doesn't help how ugly that transiion is though.

The transition is not good, but then again that could have been done in house or it was butchered in house. We all know how much stations butcher their graphics once the package arrives in-house.

Heck, just ask Nexstar, as they've had some packages done by NBC Artworks in the past (notably from their Texas branch).

Yep. It's a BLATANT copy of Look F. Hell, if I was NBC, I would actually be doing something about it. It's practically plagiarism. Not only that, their graphics don't even match...

Yikes, this is a total ripoff, I personally wonder if NBC is going to step in

NBC doesn't care. Some of you people overreact.

It looks nice though. The reason everyone has been taking cues at NBC Artworks lately is 1) Giant Octopus is no longer in business and 2) well, it's hard to replicate Troika, Renderon, etc., but NBC Artworks puts out good stuff with more simplistic elements than the higher-end graphic houses. News graphics are supposed to look good but they don't need to be eyecandy.

On a positive note, I'm glad they finally dumped the GO graphics they have had for six years now...

If that's the case, WINK would have to pull a WBZ and WCCO and show their channel number. (WINK is channel 11, BTW)

I don't think WINK has used their channel number in their branding in a long time.

Ft. Myers/Naples is an interesting market. The stations down there use their cable channel numbers instead of their over the air numbers. Part of it is because of branding but another part of it is due to the high amount of cable/satelite penetration down there.

(WBBH is NBC 2 even though it's on Ch. 20, WZVN is ABC 7 even though it's on Ch. 26, WFTX is Fox 4 even though it's on Ch. 36, etc.)

I just arrived in rainy Ft. Myers for my vacation.

I was able to catch the 6PM newcast on WINK and I can confirm that the open for the newscast is the same as the Look F opens. It seems that the only part of the newscast that doesn't use Look F is the weather graphics.

I took a video of the open with my cellphone (that's about as high tech as I can get because I don't have a video capture card), but it's taking longer than expected to post it on Youtube.

I just arrived in rainy Ft. Myers for my vacation.

I was able to catch the 6PM newcast on WINK and I can confirm that the open for the newscast is the same as the Look F opens. It seems that the only part of the newscast that doesn't use Look F is the weather graphics.

I took a video of the open with my cellphone (that's about as high tech as I can get because I don't have a video capture card), but it's taking longer than expected to post it on Youtube.

Might as well make them an NBC O&O now. I don't know why it annoys me so much that WINK is using Look F.

Sorry it took so long but here is a 6 minute recording of WINK News that I took while I was on vacation there.

As you can see, the open is Look F style. The only thing not using Look F is the weather department.

But as I watched this, I became more convinced that they must've hired Artworks to do these because these look too good to be knockoffs.

Looking at this, mostly the open, I have no doubt that this is Look F. WINK probably licensed the graphics package (except the horrendous weather graphics) from NBC Artworks- just like an NBC affiliate licensed it from Artworks. Not uncommon for Artworks.

I didn't know that non-NBC affiliates could get packages from Artworks. WINK's use of them was starting to grow on me while I was down there.

And the reason the weather graphics look the way they do is because they're left over from their old package. Guess they didn't want to get the Look F version for those.

Archived