Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

As bad as ABC 7's special can be (and usually is), there are no surprises. It's nothing if it isn't consistent. NBC gave viewers no good reason to come back next year, plain and simple.

• Like 3

As bad as ABC 7's special can be (and usually is), there are no surprises. It's nothing if it isn't consistent. NBC gave viewers no good reason to come back next year, plain and simple.

Glad to know this thing lived up to its billing as a Longshot challenger and likely failure..

Yeah, when ABC 7 is better at executing a countdown, you know you're screwed. I mean, seriously, Mark licked Janet's cheek at midnight for their infamous annual smooch, and it was STILL the better program.

• Like 1

Yeah, when ABC 7 is better at executing a countdown, you know you're screwed. I mean, seriously, Mark licked Janet's cheek at midnight for their infamous annual smooch, and it was STILL the better program.

Ouch.

• Like 4

Chi-Town Rising was as bad as you thought it would be. They waited until 30 seconds after midnight to count down the new year. And Mario Lopez? Seriously? Nothing says Chicago like having Slater host your local NYE celebration. And I've never met a local that uses the saying "Chi-town".

You're better off watching Janet Davies and Mark Giangreco embarrass themselves on ABC 7 every New Year's Eve.

It would've at least made more sense if WMAQ used the saying "Chicagoland Rising" rather than "Chi-Town Rising"

It would've at least made more sense if WMAQ used the saying "Chicagoland Rising" rather than "Chi-Town Rising"

You couod probably blame the out-of-town corporate execs for that.

WMAQ (along with Telemundo Chicago) were broadcasting sponsors not the ones that created this thing mind you so I doubt they had very much say in the naming of this event along with anything else.

Lopez was an odd choice as host, but I can live with that. The star rose (looked pretty nice on TV) and the fireworks were good. Honestly, things could have gone a lot worse. I'm willing to give them a break given this was the 1st year.

But they have the NBC tower in Chicago. Not to mention they also have Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, and Chicago Med, and if they keep it up, Law and Order: Chicago all there too

That doesn't matter... Chi-Town is an out of town phrase... A common one...

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't win by more. The ball is in NBC's court, because, sure, they got a lot of curious 7 viewers, but most of their audience are those that weren't watching 7 before, looking for something new. Did NBC do enough to get the lookie-loos to come back next year, or will they turn their TV back off?

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't win by more. The ball is in NBC's court, because, sure, they got a lot of curious 7 viewers, but most of their audience are those that weren't watching 7 before, looking for something new. Did NBC do enough to get the lookie-loos to come back next year, or will they turn their TV back off?

Do you think the Chicago-centric shows are helping NBC 5 increase their ratings at 10?

• Like 2

Do you think the Chicago-centric shows are helping NBC 5 increase their ratings at 10?

They don't hurt, but I think they just have the better slate of 9pm shows, in general. The Tonight Show, a better-funded news division, and lowering viewer loyalty are also key factors.

And, while many would expect that WLS has given WMAQ the most viewers, WBBM has been hurt the most by NBC's ascension. WGN's also broken into 2 and 7's late news totals.

• Like 2

They don't hurt, but I think they just have the better slate of 9pm shows, in general. The Tonight Show, a better-funded news division, and lowering viewer loyalty are also key factors.

And, while many would expect that WLS has given WMAQ the most viewers, WBBM has been hurt the most by NBC's ascension. WGN's also broken into 2 and 7's late news totals.

Do you really think 5's news operation is better funded than 7's? That seems a little iffy... The Tonight show certainly helps but the 9pm shows only help if your 10 is strong enough to hold viewers from tuning out...

For example:

ABC is the consistently highest rated network by far here in Detroit... But come 11pm there's a huge switch over to the NBC station because the operation has been stronger for a long time. This has even held true after their 11pm has rotted rather badly in the last year...

• Like 1

NBC 5 is better-funded now than they were before Comcast. Old set, way outdated graphics, small reporting roster, etc. All have been improved over the last 4 years.

I still miss The Tower, dammit.

Chi-Town Rising was as bad as you thought it would be. They waited until 30 seconds after midnight to count down the new year. And Mario Lopez? Seriously? Nothing says Chicago like having Slater host your local NYE celebration. And I've never met a local that uses the saying "Chi-town".

You're better off watching Janet Davies and Mark Giangreco embarrass themselves on ABC 7 every New Year's Eve.

Mario Lopez is from Chula Vista CA. Just south of San Diego.

Please accept our deepest apologies, as we did not intend to offend you with Mr Lopez...

But shit happens!

Sorry!

• Like 2

That doesn't matter... Chi-Town is an out of town phrase... A common one...

Also it's worth noting that 40 other stations and Cozi broadcast Chi-Town rising so that should show some influence name wise.

Also it's worth noting that 40 other stations and Cozi broadcast Chi-Town rising so that should show some influence name wise.

I saw it last night on my Cozi TV station (WTVJ 6.2) and let's just say... the band Chicago ended their performance 10 seconds before the new year + the delay between the countdown and the actual new year's moment was noticeable. It was awful.

Even Pitbull's broadcast was way better and possibly, the NYE broadcast on ABC was possibly even better too. I think NBC's broadcast was still better than the Chi-Town Rising.

I saw it last night on my Cozi TV station (WTVJ 6.2) and let's just say... the band Chicago ended their performance 10 seconds before the new year + the delay between the countdown and the actual new year's moment was noticeable. It was awful.

Even Pitbull's broadcast was way better and possibly, the NYE broadcast on ABC was possibly even better too. I think NBC's broadcast was still better than the Chi-Town Rising.

Not sure it's fair to compare a locally-produced show to those shown on ABC, FOX, etc... They are nowhere near the same level resource-wise, etc... Honestly, they are years away from being a network level (worthy) broadcast and I think they are OK with that for now.

• Like 1

Not sure it's fair to compare a locally-produced show to those shown on ABC, FOX, etc... They are nowhere near the same level resource-wise, etc... Honestly, they are years away from being a network level (worthy) broadcast and I think they are OK with that for now.

To be totally honest if NBC were offering this as a supplemental / optional coverage for the central time zone they should have provided resources to WMAQ to make it great. It went out to 42 other stations and nationally on Cozi and Telexitos in addition to WMAQ/WSNS.

• Like 1

It's unfair to blame WMAQ for a lot of this when they had very little to do with organizing this event other than televising it. It was organized by a company called Arena Partners, LLC and WMAQ simply picked up the broadcast rights to it. The timing issue would have been there regardless of who was broadcasting it, be it WMAQ or WLS or Public Access.

I'm sure next year, the organizers will provide more padding between the musical acts and the star raising thing.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Stefan Holt did one of those Facebook Live streams that NBC Chicago's Facebook page shared. I just caught glimpses of it and I had no idea how narrow the studio is. There's probably twelve feet from the front of the anchor desk to some small desks on the other side which held the stage managers and prompter operators desks. He then did a quick loop behind the scenes showing some edit booths, the control room and a reporter getting some stuff from a vending machine. Behind the vending machine there was a door that said no smoking because there were nitrogen tanks inside. What would nitrogen tanks be used for in a studio environment be used for or are they likely just used for the building in an unrelated purpose? I've only heard of nitrogen being used on transmitters to pressurize the transmissions lines up to the antenna.

I don't know how long these videos last but here's the link:

Stefan Holt did one of those Facebook Live streams that NBC Chicago's Facebook page shared. I just caught glimpses of it and I had no idea how narrow the studio is. There's probably twelve feet from the front of the anchor desk to some small desks on the other side which held the stage managers and prompter operators desks. He then did a quick loop behind the scenes showing some edit booths, the control room and a reporter getting some stuff from a vending machine. Behind the vending machine there was a door that said no smoking because there were nitrogen tanks inside. What would nitrogen tanks be used for in a studio environment be used for or are they likely just used for the building in an unrelated purpose? I've only heard of nitrogen being used on transmitters to pressurize the transmissions lines up to the antenna.

I don't know how long these videos last but here's the link:

Nitrogen is the gas usually used to provide the pressure needed in camera pedestals. You can use compressed air, but nitrogen works better I guess.