Nelson Mandela has Died: Coverage Thread

Jess

Obviously awful even if expected news.

On the coverage front...I'm seriously starting to think ABC News doesn't want Diane Sawyer handling special reports or extended coverage of anything these days. David Muir handled coverage yet again, with the promise that Diane would be on World News. Haven't seen her anchor a special report in a long, long time. Kind of important to have the primary anchor handle this coverage if they're actually there to do it, brief report or not.

In Memphis, WREG was a few seconds late cutting to CBS for the initial report. WMC missed half of Obama's speech because they were in a commercial, and didn't go to NBC at all when they did go to it. Weather is a big issue with a winter storm expected tomorrow so there's been virtually no local coverage outside from the networks.

Would have to think assuming the funeral is televised it receives extensive coverage on the networks.

I'll get to ABC in a moment but I must ask why is ESPN doing Breaking News? That baffles me. Is ESPN/ ABC closer than Weather Channel/NBC? I wouldn't think TWC would cover it, especially with the Ice Storm.

Now, a few things on ABC

For the record , I like Diane on WN. It also helps that we watch WISN for early evening news just about every night .

However If she can't do Special Reports anymore, what is she still doing on WN and ABC? I would think that Special Reports would be more for the " face of the network" than other anchors. On the other hand, when we have AM Special Reports, Its always George. I'm not Complaining, I've just never seen Josh, Robin or Robin's fill in do them. Are they allowed?

Another thing is, are you all talking about Diane from Election Night 2012? I'm asking because I have Election Night 2012 on tape until after 11PM CST and I didn't see anything out of line form Diane or weird looks from George.

As for Last Night's WN, I was impressed that Robin and George was there with the short notice. Maybe an hour and a half isn't short notice in New york but it felt like it to me! Or, Were they there already for the GMA Holiday Party? I found it intresting that in TVNewser's Article on the breaking news yesterday that they even mentioned GMA's party and the fact it was cancelled.

Back to the Diane talk, I almost wondered about her last night as I must of missed the first seconds of the 2nd half hour WN. When i looked, I saw Terry Moran talking for what seemed like a really long time. Almost like he was the anchor for the half hour!. But then I went to do something and she was back later.

However If she can't do Special Reports anymore, what is she still doing on WN and ABC? I would think that Special Reports would be more for the " face of the network" than other anchors. On the other hand, when we have AM Special Reports, Its always George. I'm not Complaining, I've just never seen Josh, Robin or Robin's fill in do them. Are they allowed?

Yes, they're allowed. Most of the time, Steph will do most of the specials, but frequently co-anchors with Roberts, Vargas, Robach (I haven't seen her do a special, but I assume she would if the situation was appropriate), and even Elliott one morning. It does seem, though, that whenever we do see Diane during breaking news, it's either solo during the time frame before, during and after WN, or with George. If it's late enough the Nightline anchor that night will fill those duties. It's certainly a far cry from the days when Jennings would go for 15-20 hours without rest.

Another thing is, are you all talking about Diane from Election Night 2012? I'm asking because I have Election Night 2012 on tape until after 11PM CST and I didn't see anything out of line form Diane or weird looks from George.

Unlike others, I don't think she was intoxicated. She herself admitted later that she was stressed and overtired. Either way, she seemed a little loose, a little sloppy that night. Sure, it's easy to make assumptions and take moments out of context to prove a point, but Diane was not 100% that night. I recall George having to bail her out a few times in order to keep the show moving.

To compare:

Peter Jennings at 3:00 AM...

Diane Sawyer at 9:00 PM...

Something was up with Sawyer.

I'll get to ABC in a moment but I must ask why is ESPN doing Breaking News? That baffles me. Is ESPN/ ABC closer than Weather Channel/NBC? I wouldn't think TWC would cover it, especially with the Ice Storm.

Now, a few things on ABC

For the record , I like Diane on WN. It also helps that we watch WISN for early evening news just about every night .

As for Last Night's WN, I was impressed that Robin and George was there with the short notice. Maybe an hour and a half isn't short notice in New york but it felt like it to me! Or, Were they there already for the GMA Holiday Party? I found it intresting that in TVNewser's Article on the breaking news yesterday that they even mentioned GMA's party and the fact it was cancelled.

Back to the Diane talk, I almost wondered about her last night as I must of missed the first seconds of the 2nd half hour WN. When i looked, I saw Terry Moran talking for what seemed like a really long time. Almost like he was the anchor for the half hour!. But then I went to do something and she was back later.

George normally covers Special Report in mornings with either Roberts, Robach or Vargas. If I recall George and Amy anchored Special Reports on the Boston bombing suspects being caught early that AM. Josh does the Special Reports occasionally as well. Also, Diane was definitely something else on election night. She was not herself at all.

I don't know if it was Boston or Newtown, but whatever special report ABC aired had Diane first, then they broke away for awhile, then they broke in with David Muir doing coverage because Diane was headed to the scene or something.

I think Diane has always had a bit of difficulty during special reports. I hate linking to 9/11 clips,

While Charlie and Don Dahler stay calm and report, Diane seems to be in a state of total shock and at one point even speculates that the fire in one of the towers had gone out. She still is, in every way, better than Couric was on that day. Couric stated "this is so shocking!" in a tone that really seemed canned. Lauer really carried her that morning.

Also, even though I agree that Sawyer was a bit off that night, comparing anybody to Jennings at 3am doesn't do anyone any favors. Peter Jennings was the guy who was on the air for twenty four consecutive hours when 1999 became 2000. That along with his yeoman's job of anchoring during 9/11. I mean, I don't think few people could have kept up with him at his peak.

I find it kind of funny that people were so bothered by Diane being out of it on election night when half the appeal of watching election coverage on CBS was the way Dan Rather would get loopier and loopier as the night went on.

I find it kind of funny that people were so bothered by Diane being out of it on election night when half the appeal of watching election coverage on CBS was the way Dan Rather would get loopier and loopier as the night went on.

For some reason, it was miraculously marketed as "charm" with Dan.

Many generations remember KTLA's coverage of the attempted rescue of Kathy Fiscus from a well (which, sadly, was unsuccessful), anchored by a young Stan Chambers. He was on the air for 27 hours straight and remember, this was in 1949...when there were no coast-to-coast network lines, at least not yet.

Unfortunately, newsreel footage is the only thing that exists of the Fiscus coverage.

Also' date=' even though I agree that Sawyer was a bit off that night, comparing anybody to Jennings at 3am doesn't do anyone any favors. Peter Jennings was the guy who was on the air for [b']twenty four consecutive hours[/b] when 1999 became 2000. That along with his yeoman's job of anchoring during 9/11. I mean, I don't think few people could have kept up with him at his peak.

To be clear, I was implying that Peter was in better form so late versus Diane in primetime (unless you already got that), which really speaks for Peter's talent.

KSAT just broke in during Katie with the ABC report. At 4 they quickly said "Nelson Mandela has died as you just saw in that special report. We'll have more at 5:30". They haven't mentioned him since. Good on them for leaving it to the network and not overhyping like most of the other networks/stations have.

This guy helped end of the apartheid in South Africa (akin to racial segregation in the US), and he is irrelevant? :bang:

NBC has just advised stations that Brian Williams will be anchoring coverage of the memorial beginning at 4 EST in the morning. Brian is already in S Africa and will be anchoring Nightly News from there tonight. Unsure if CBS and ABC are planning coverage as well. Will certainly affect AM local newscasts in many markets where broadcast.

This guy helped end of the apartheid in South Africa (akin to racial segregation in the US), and he is irrelevant? :bang:

I like how you just made that up. Not once did I say he was irrelevant. :huh: But if that's how you want to interpret what I said...

NBC has just advised stations that Brian Williams will be anchoring coverage of the memorial beginning at 4 EST in the morning. Brian is already in S Africa and will be anchoring Nightly News from there tonight. Unsure if CBS and ABC are planning coverage as well. Will certainly affect AM local newscasts in many markets where broadcast.

Not sure about CBS but ABC announced that they would be as well. Wondering who ABC will have anchoring coverage.

From TVNewser .... http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/coverage-plans-for-mandela-memorial-service_b206442

Brian Williams will anchor a special report for NBC News beginning at 4amET Tuesday. Williams will also anchor “Nightly News” from Pretoria tonight and tomorrow.

CBS News will have coverage of the memorial service during “Up to the Minute,” the early morning newscast, beginning at 4amET. CBSNews.com will have a live stream of the service.

ABC News will air a special report from Times Square beginning at 4amET. George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts will anchor from New York, with Terry Moran and Byron Pitts from South Africa.

Fox News will cover the memorial service when it begins at 4amET, with coverage continuing through “Fox & Friends First” and “Fox & Friends.” Greg Palkot and producer Paul Tilsley will contribute to the network’s coverage from the FNB Stadium in South Africa.

CNN has Anderson Cooper, Chris Cuomo and Christiane Amanpour reporting from South Africa. Cooper will anchor both editions of “AC360″ live from outside Mandela’s home tonight.

MSNBC will simulcast NBC News’ special report, with the “Morning Joe” team taking over at 6amET. The full memorial service will stream on msnbc.com.

I like how you just made that up. Not once did I say he was irrelevant. :huh: But if that's how you want to interpret what I said...

You wrote it exactly how you intended it to be wrote, ambivalence towards the man's passing (because you live in San Antonio so it doesn't matter to you). Don't write something making the inference that says "good the local news didn't cover because he isn't that relevant to me" then say something as obtuse as you attempted to in rebuttal. Anybody with a proficient reading and writing competency can understand the sub-context of your statement, so don't backpedal...stand firm in what you write and write what you mean... :rolleyes:

You wrote it exactly how you intended it to be wrote, ambivalence towards the man's passing (because you live in San Antonio so it doesn't matter to you). Don't write something making the inference that says "good the local news didn't cover because he isn't that relevant to me" then say something as obtuse as you attempted to in rebuttal. Anybody with a proficient reading and writing competency can understand the sub-context of your statement, so don't backpedal...stand firm in what you write and write what you mean... :rolleyes:

Like I said if you want to take it that way, more power to you. I have no ambvialence towards his passing and mean what I say. What you're claiming I said is not what I meant and there were no hidden meanings in what I wrote. I basically just said local news shouldn't cover it, leave it to the networks. Now if they want to play a local angle on it (which one of the stations did BTW), then that's great, now we have something. But if they're going to play a PKG from ABC who will reair that same package during the national news, what's the point? And this has nothing to do with Nelson Mandela, all the national stories I feel this way about. Let local news cover local news, let national news do the national news. If they're going to play a local angle on something national, then there's an exception.

Back on topic, NBC has done an absolutely incredible job covering the memorial service of Mandela and just their overall coverage of the event has been great. I think more networks need to be like NBC when they're covering this.

Archived