"Katie" Officially Canceled

BehindNYNews

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this is interesting...

Katie’s launch group, ABC Owned Stations, has not yet decided how it will replace Katie in fall 2014. But it will likely slot in Disney-ABC game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire and repeats of CBS Television Distribution’s Jeopardy, according to syndication executives.

Again, that second part is likely just for the summer, but it's certainly a potential issue in the markets where 'Millionaire' is not on the ABC-owned property. I would really like to see ABC relax the time slot, and allow a station like WLS to move Inside Edition and Jeopardy! back to 3pm.

Again, that second part is likely just for the summer, but it's certainly a potential issue in the markets where 'Millionaire' is not on the ABC-owned property. I would really like to see ABC relax the time slot, and allow a station like WLS to move Inside Edition and Jeopardy! back to 3pm.

I hope that they don't just find a star and say, "here, have a show"...

ABC gave the time period back to its affiliates, so I doubt they'll get it back that easily. They'll probably have to wait until fall 2015 to find a permanent replacement. We'll have to wait until next year to know what syndicated shows will be pitched to tv stations for fall 2015.

I can't even imagine WPVI doing that. Not when there's clearly blood in the water at 4pm, and their chief rival is gunning for their throat. (6 has resorted to the short open for the 4, while 10 is now simply going in cold.) Katie's clearly a problem at least here, but I don't think Jeopardy reruns are the answer. She's also squandering a fantastic lead-in: General Hospital is now the #1 show in daytime.

Most stations have a replacement - in most cases, Viera - ready to go. Except the ABC O&Os, which are kind of screwed at the moment. ABC can't take back the hour, at least not yet, and the ABC O&Os have been throwing around ideas but haven't found anything they want to take a risk on.

So where on the "epic television disaster" scale do we rank Katie? Certainly it's not at "The Jay Leno Show" levels.

I can't even imagine WPVI doing that. Not when there's clearly blood in the water at 4pm, and their chief rival is gunning for their throat. (6 has resorted to the short open for the 4, while 10 is now simply going in cold.) Katie's clearly a problem at least here, but I don't think Jeopardy reruns are the answer. She's also squandering a fantastic lead-in: General Hospital is now the #1 show in daytime.

Most stations have a replacement - in most cases, Viera - ready to go. Except the ABC O&Os, which are kind of screwed at the moment. ABC can't take back the hour, at least not yet, and the ABC O&Os have been throwing around ideas but haven't found anything they want to take a risk on.

So where on the "epic television disaster" scale do we rank Katie? Certainly it's not at "The Jay Leno Show" levels.

When you put it that way, I guess WLS would be in a good position. They have a program ready in the wings to fill any slot.

It's called the NEWS.

Imagaine that.

Out of curiosity, what is the "process" for ABC to take back the 3pm hour?

When you put it that way, I guess WLS would be in a good position. They have a program ready in the wings to fill any slot.

It's called the NEWS.

Imagaine that.

Maybe move WCL to 2pm and move Jep. & Inside Edition back to 3pm and bring back the news at 11am. One can hope at least.

I'm quite sure that won't be the plan for WABC. Millionaire already airs from 12:30-1 and Jeopardy from 7-7:30.

There is a God! Thank So much! Hopefully ABC can hopefully add a game show or a new daytime soap opera!

Game show is not impossible but unlikely. Soap, absolutely will not happen. They are way to expensive to make.

I'm quite sure that won't be the plan for WABC. Millionaire already airs from 12:30-1 and Jeopardy from 7-7:30.

Its not a permanent thing so its not unlikely. Although I would note, the release says Katie will make enough new shows to get through the summer so they could just do that.

There is a God! Thank So much! Hopefully ABC can hopefully add a game show or a new daytime soap opera!

Not happening. Remember, Katie was a syndicated show. ABC gave the 3pm slot back to the affiliates. Once you do that, good luck getting it back. Most stations already have a replacement lined up - Meredith Viera. The ABC O&Os are pretty much the only ones who don't have a backup plan.

I can quite easily see the O&Os going to hour-long newscasts at noon, moving Millionaire to 3. And as the report states, these would be repeats, not new episodes, of Jeopardy.

Just recently, KABC-TV posted an opening for a producer needed for a "new weekday evening newscast". Is Eyewitness News at 3pm coming to LA?

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=154089

Adding 3pm newscasts to the ABC O&Os would be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. WPVI is already stretching to fill the 4pm as it is, and quality-wise their main competitor blows them out of the freaking water.

What would work is if instead of newscasts, the stations get to do their own versions of Windy City Live. I'd be up for a return of AM Philadelphia.

Just recently, KABC-TV posted an opening for a producer needed for a "new weekday evening newscast". Is Eyewitness News at 3pm coming to LA?

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=154089

That'll be an incredibly ridiculous block of newscast. 3,4,5,6? Let's hope not.

Traditional newscasts may not bring in huge ratings, but money talks. Station gets all commercial revenue, no licensing fee to air them, talent and staff is already hired and on payroll. At most, an additional reporter and producer is hired. If they're looking for something that would, at the very least, maintain Katie's ratings numbers, the cheap and easy route is a newscast or some show produced by the news dept.

In addition to a normal newscast at Noon, 4 & 10, KCAL also has newscasts at 2, 3, 8 & 9. Although some stations do have a 9 PM newscasts for example WGN in Chicago, KING in Seattle, KCPQ in Seattle I'm sure there's more though. As for Katie getting canned really doesn't surprise me in the least.

Viera is a go for the NBC O&Os, Hearst, Sinclair, LIN, Media General stations that used to be Young stations, and Cox.

I always feel some pride when someone else commends the concept of WCL.

It's a good concept. A live, local lifestyle show with guests and fun. Something other than yet another newscast. And it's not exactly new, either. A lot of the CapCities/ABC stations had things like this going on in the 80s. Some of them even went national. AM Chicago morphed into the Oprah Winfrey Show. WABC's The Morning Show became Live with Regis and Kathie Lee. If ABC's looking for a good fit for that slot, have all the stations produce their own lifestyle productions.

You also have LiveWell, too. If they're really out of options, find something there and plop it in the slot.

Now that Katie is a goner, I expect her to get Probsted. Whenever there was breaking news during the 11am, it was a near-certainty that Jeff Probst would get pre-empted. If anything happens between 3:00 and 3:58, 6 will not just go to a double box - they'll break in. If there's a snowstorm, Action News will start tomorrow afternoon at a special time of 3pm. That kinda thing.

Archived