"Katie" Officially Canceled

BehindNYNews

Guest Former Member 207

Don't forget that KABC will have TWO hours to fill in the fall, not only with Katie being gone, but also with Dr. Oz moving back to KTTV. They could take Millionaire from KNBC, keeping at its current 2pm slot, but the 3pm slot would still have to be filled. Maybe a revival of an AM Los Angeles/330-type of show, or perhaps like Hulkie suggested, poaching something from Live Well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSB in Atlanta will replace "Katie" with Dr. Oz (currently on WAGA) in fall 2014.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/dec/26/dr-oz-moving-wsb-tv-fox-5-fall-2014-replacing-kati/

That reminds me: I wonder what WWBT (one of the few non-ABC stations that air the show) here in Richmond will air at 3pm in the fall. WRIC (ABC) has "Steve Harvey" at 3 and "Dr. Phil" (the show moved to WRIC from WWBT in 2011 replacing "Oprah") at 4 while WTVR (CBS) has "Ellen" at 3 and "Dr. Oz" at 4. Scratch WRLH off because they have "Springer" and "Maury". Maybe WWBT will replace "Katie" with Vieira.

Not happening. Remember, Katie was a syndicated show. ABC gave the 3pm slot back to the affiliates. Once you do that, good luck getting it back. Most stations already have a replacement lined up - Meredith Viera. The ABC O&Os are pretty much the only ones who don't have a backup plan.

I can quite easily see the O&Os going to hour-long newscasts at noon, moving Millionaire to 3. And as the report states, these would be repeats, not new episodes, of Jeopardy.

Adding 3pm newscasts to the ABC O&Os would be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. WPVI is already stretching to fill the 4pm as it is, and quality-wise their main competitor blows them out of the freaking water.

What would work is if instead of newscasts, the stations get to do their own versions of Windy City Live. I'd be up for a return of AM Philadelphia.

I have to agree on the return of AM/Philadelphia. I miss that show.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't forget that KABC will have TWO hours to fill in the fall, not only with Katie being gone, but also with Dr. Oz moving back to KTTV. They could take Millionaire from KNBC, keeping at its current 2pm slot, but the 3pm slot would still have to be filled. Maybe a revival of an AM Los Angeles/330-type of show, or perhaps like Hulkie suggested, poaching something from Live Well.

We'll they might just have filled one of those hours.

TVNewsCheck has stated this morning that ABC has confirmed that Rachael Ray will be aired on KABC & KGO this coming fall. They didn't say if it'll be aired on the Katie 3pm timeslot (which I strongly think this will likely happen (I mean do they really have a choice?)).

The program is currently aired in the morning hours in those affected markets, KCAL airs it at 8am, while KBCW airs it at 9am. So it's probably a good thing for the show to move away from the morning hours on those low-rated stations.

Currently KABC is airing Dr. Oz & Katie and KGO is airing Millionaire/Jeopardy repeats with Katie. KGO would likely to keep the Game Show repeats going and air Rachael Ray as a lead in to their 4pm news. KABC will still have to fill one more hour.

And for some of y'all who are in favor for an extra hour of news to replace Katie, I'm strongly against it. They don't need to pack yet another hour of news, while most viewers are likely watching other shows that are on. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Too much news on the lineup is an overkill. ABC is best to think about Fall 2015, but even then, it'll be an even tougher time to catch up with the more established shows on CBS & NBC.

Guest Former Member 207

We'll they might just have filled one of those hours.

TVNewsCheck has stated this morning that ABC has confirmed that Rachael Ray will be aired on KABC & KGO this coming fall. They didn't say if it'll be aired on the Katie 3pm timeslot (which I strongly think this will likely happen (I mean do they really have a choice?)).

The program is currently aired in the morning hours in those affected markets, KCAL airs it at 8am, while KBCW airs it at 9am. So it's probably a good thing for the show to move away from the morning hours on those low-rated stations.

Currently KABC is airing Dr. Oz & Katie and KGO is airing Millionaire/Jeopardy repeats with Katie. KGO would likely to keep the Game Show repeats going and air Rachael Ray as a lead in to their 4pm news. KABC will still have to fill one more hour.

And for some of y'all who are in favor for an extra hour of news to replace Katie, I'm strongly against it. They don't need to pack yet another hour of news, while most viewers are likely watching other shows that are on. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Too much news on the lineup is an overkill. ABC is best to think about Fall 2015, but even then, it'll be an even tougher time to catch up with the more established shows on CBS & NBC.

Rachael would be a good fit on KABC and KGO, as it pretty much brings her in line with the rest of the ABC O&Os not named KTRK or WLS. I really don't believe that KABC will add another newscast in the afternoons--I think they'll either get Millionaire or produce their own local programs (among other options). With the new primetime newscast they just added on KDOC, KABC is a producing 7 1/2 hours of news programming each weekday (and probably a near equal amount each Saturday and Sunday).

B&C states late tonight that KTRK & WLS will also air the show this coming fall.

I strongly thought that ABC would pursue Millionaire to air on WLS. If this sticks, I hope Channel 7 place the show on at 2pm and move Inside Edition & Jeopardy back at 3pm (which it should've never been moved to begin with).

Now the $64,000 Question is going to be (and I'm not advocating this or think this will fly) will WGN fill that 10am hour with news? That would be Nine Straight Hours of News from 4am-1pm, which would be crazy as hell.

Now the big question is what will ABC do in NY, Philly and Raleigh? In NYC, maybe move The Doctors from WLNY to WABC and maybe in Philly, they can get Judge Judy or Dr. Oz from WTXF.

You can add KABC and KGO to that list. KABC had two slots to fill (Katie & Dr. Oz), and technically so does KGO (Katie & Millionaire/ Jeopardy second showings). I guess they could all fill their open hours with second showings of game shows.

Also I doubt WTXF would willingly let either of those go.

You can add KABC and KGO to that list. KABC had two slots to fill (Katie & Dr. Oz), and technically so does KGO (Katie & Millionaire/ Jeopardy second showings). I guess they could all fill their open hours with second showings of game shows.

Maybe the O&Os as a whole can add a new show, ala Windy City Live across the O&Os just not city centric.

Maybe WGN will do a 24/7 News Channel. Also their will be other Daytime shows premiering in September.

They already have a 24/7 Channel. It's called CLTV.

I think Fox is very committed to Dr. Oz. That's why it's being moved back to Fox 11 in LA. The only difference is Fox will be giving up Dr. Oz in Atlanta from WAGA to WSB to replace Katie.

And I do agree that Fox 29 isn't going to easily give up Judy, since they've been airing it for years. If at any event they do get rid of Judy, the station that would snag it in a heartbeat would be KYW (for obvious reasons) and not WPVI.

I wish WABC had picked up Meredith (I'm confident it's going to be good and successful), but since it's produced/distributed (?) by NBC, I'm sure WNBC had the right of first refusal, and they did scoop it up.

Meredith will be produced & distributed by NBC. And all of the NBC O&Os signed up last July, before the fall.

Yes but only available in Chicago and no where else and if like Surewestkc or TWCKC or Comcast Olathe/MO,Google TV had it in KC area former Chicagoans living in KC area wouldn't miss their 24/7 Chicago News anymore because they would get CLTV.

Rachel Ray in Chicago is moving to Couric's former channel.

According to Robert Feder, Rachael Ray at 2 o'clock is pretty much a lock on WLS. And, it's not so much that the station wants Ray at 2, it's that they REALLY want 'Inside Edition' and 'Jeopardy!' back at their old 3/3:30 time slots.

It's still not a midday newscast, but it's a good thing for the 4pm ratings, nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like the 3pm slot will be a game show block of double-runs, at least for this upcoming season.

The B&C stated earlier tonight that ABC will air a second run of Jeopardy & Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on its four O&Os (WABC, WPVI, WTVD & KABC). Of course, the article states that it didn't say that the double runs will air at 3pm, and ABC isn't commenting, other than saying that the station's schedules aren't finalized.

Well I can't say I didn't see this coming. But y'all know this will be temporary, as the network will try to develop something for 2015.

So I'm thinking this. If this "new program" comes to fruition in 2015, and WLS gets included in the carriage, and let's say Inside & Jeopardy returns to its 3pm timeslot (the slot that previously occupied by them pre-Katie) this fall 2014, what would it happen for Rachael Ray for that year? Would that show be moved again to another station? I strongly doubt that they'll forgo its longtime syndie staples, and If they do move it back at 3pm, I doubt they'll move these shows again, like what they did with Katie.

Well it looks like the 3pm slot will be a game show block of double-runs, at least for this upcoming season.

The B&C stated earlier tonight that ABC will air a second run of Jeopardy & Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on its four O&Os (WABC, WPVI, WTVD & KABC). Of course, the article states that it didn't say that the double runs will air at 3pm, and ABC isn't commenting, other than saying that the station's schedules aren't finalized.

Well I can't say I didn't see this coming. But y'all know this will be temporary, as the network will try to develop something for 2015.

It would have been a huge win if ABC could have gotten Ellen but it was unrealistic.

I would like WABC to make the news at Noon an hour and have a new Millionaire and repeat of Jeopardy at 3pm. We'll see...

It would have been a huge win if ABC could have gotten Ellen but it was unrealistic.

I would like WABC to make the news at Noon an hour and have a new Millionaire and repeat of Jeopardy at 3pm. We'll see...

That seems like the best move for WABC & WPVI. The Noon News goes on for an extra half hour. Then at 3pm Jeopardy & Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Jeopardy is popular enough that people wouldn't mind two broadcast a day, but I don't know about seeing WWTBAM two times a day... a bit too redundant.

Maybe WABC & WPVI could steal "Inside Edition" and air that at 3pm.

How about Family Feud?..2nd highest rated daytime show in TV

That seems like the best move for WABC & WPVI. The Noon News goes on for an extra half hour. Then at 3pm Jeopardy & Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Jeopardy is popular enough that people wouldn't mind two broadcast a day, but I don't know about seeing WWTBAM two times a day... a bit too redundant.

Maybe WABC & WPVI could steal "Inside Edition" and air that at 3pm.

How about Family Feud?..2nd highest rated daytime show in TV

'Millionaire' is aired twice a day in several (maybe even most) markets, but typically as a back-to-back hour.

Wow hit it right on the spot! Wonder what happens with KTRK and KFSN. All the O&Os will almost have identical schedules.

KTRK currently have Millionaire & Inside Edition, and will add Rachael Ray in the Fall. They didn't say which timeslot these shows will be on, as of yet. We'll probably know by Upfront time.

No word on what KFSN will air as a replacement of Katie, but they do air Millionaire and Dr. Oz.

• 2 months later...

Archived