WGCL getting a new set

Hickman360

A better look at the new logo

I'm sorry, but that logo is dull and unimaginative; the fontface (and the word "CBS") ruins it. If they want to return to "CBS 46", why not return to using the logo they used between 2003 and 2009? That logo was a bit better.

I'll withhold my final judgment on this rebrand until next week, but aside from the O&O GFX, I'm not impressed at all right now.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound

Upon further examination, I give this entire "relaunch" less than 6 months. The logo is unfit for Market #8. The set is definitely plain and boring and lacking character or anything distinctive, forgetful. The O&O graphics look like they will be butchered.

Everyone, Clear News 2.0 is among us.

The sad thing is that WGCL has tried and failed and tried and failed and can never seem to find its niche, and this is going to get very old, very quickly. Going back and forth between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta hasn't helped either.

They want to make an impact? How about cleaning house with talent. Stefany Fisher has done nothing for you at the times you need numbers the most for the past 10 years, let her ass go or move her to another slot. Bring back Brandon Rudat because everyone wants him back. Let go of Markina Brown and promote Paul Ossmann to Chief.

Scott Light? Yeah no, move him to mornings where he belongs. Promote from within like Tony McNary or one of your longtime reporters to become weeknight anchor, or how about bring in a familiar face like John Bachman from WSB, I mean come on he is never going to be weeknight anchor like he hoped to be since WSB is grooming and swooning over Don Farmer, Jr. I hear Amanda Davis still wants to get back in the biz, bring her in also.

Drop the fucking CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta bullshit. You're never going to succeed if you keep going back and forth between two failing options. How about News 46? How about Local 46 (hell it's working in Memphis right now)? Better yet, just plain WGCL News. It's all you really need.

Bring back Better Mornings Atlanta. People like it, it was a different concept, and you threw it out. Bring it back, it was the only decent numbers you were getting all day.

Stop relying heavily on "Asking Tough Questions", people don't want that. They want a perfect balance of hard and soft news, nothing overly fluffy but nothing overly "scare the hell out of you". Take a page from WSB, implement a county-by-county format.

Drop the fucking logo. If you're going to use the O&O graphics, use an O&O style logo. Otherwise, DON'T USE THEM AT ALL.

The root of your problems is in your anchor pairings. Stefany Fisher is your main problem. Did I mention you need to drop her like a bad habit? Oh wait I already did, well let me remind you again.

Stop trying to compete for viewers from WAGA and especially stop trying to compete with WSB, you will never be #1 so get over it. WXIA you can contend with, that is a decent ball game. Start watching what they do and try to one up them.

No more relying on beauty and emotionless journalism, WGCL its common sense! Maybe the new GM and News Director don't know about the past history of WGCL. Well who can blame them? Is there anyone there from the early days? Nope. This is why reading your TVNewsTalk.net is important, or else you're going to screw everything up again when you try to do something that has already been done to death.

PICK A NAME AND STICK WITH IT, stop changing everything, and get rid of Stefany Fisher. Then it's all smooth sailing from there...

Drop the ****ing logo. If you're going to use the O&O graphics, use an O&O style logo. Otherwise, DON'T USE THEM AT ALL.

Speaking of O&O styles, I have created a 2 mockups of what should be the new logo for WGCL.

First is a traditional CBS O&O logo with a box, second is a KCNC-esque logo.

[ATTACH]1300.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1301.IPB[/ATTACH]

524999941_WGCLMock.png.8fc56afbde3546c69bf12f76fffecdd2.png

1394182046_WGCLMock2.png.1d9ee518da237443e7ea4a6c86f51a9b.png

CBS 46 or CBS Atlanta News will always be at the bottom. Tribune invest very little into the station and 20 yrs ago when they went from being an Indy outlet to A CBS affiliate it didn't compete right away. They moved their 10pm news to 11pm an cancel their 7:30 News and moved it to 7pm until 1996. By 1996 they had news cut-ins in the AM, Noon, 6 & 11pm news.

Late 1999/early 2000 Meredith had all these plans to invest in a new building, new people, new branding, new call letters, etc, etc, etc, and the place became a revolving door. Many may not like Stephany Fisher, but she been one of the mainstay at that station. She is the face of that ever changing brand. Like it or not, but Brandon in Phoenix, so he not coming back to Atlanta.

Look at Cleveland's 19 WOIO sat in 4th place, but they found the right people to shake up the market where WEWS, WJW, WKYC win different time periods, and 19 challenged them and even with 19 bad ass reputation they didn't just take it up the ass they trump the big dogs.

Look at DFW CBS 11 they also sat in 4th place, but they also found their niche to fight with WFAA 8, FOX 4 and NBC 5, but Atlanta is different, because WSB has so much clout, and WAGA has always been a solid #2 and depending on Gannett 11Alive they've either been at the top, in the middle or at the bottom. This market needs to be shaken up and if Gannett, and Meredith find the right people like {Raycom found Bill Applegate} to shake things up then you could see some changes.

WSB yes win hands down and as much as I like WSB they have that old man Cox formula that works, and WAGA is FOX owned but it has that FOX attitude, but WAGA has always been whatever WSB does we will follow. WXIA has tried to be different, but Gannett formula has been let be warm and fuzzy because that what KARE, WUSA, KUSA, KSDK been like and their winners, but it doesn't work in the Atlanta market. WXIA and WGCL need to shake things up and challenged WAGA and WSB.

Bring back Better Mornings Atlanta. People like it, it was a different concept, and you threw it out. Bring it back, it was the only decent numbers you were getting all day.

Actually, Better Mornings Atlanta does still exist; the problem is that it was whittled down: it used to be WGCL's main morning newscast (4:30-7,) but now it's on at 9am only.

Upon further examination, I give this entire "relaunch" less than 6 months. The logo is unfit for Market #8. The set is definitely plain and boring and lacking character or anything distinctive, forgetful. The O&O graphics look like they will be butchered.

Everyone, Clear News 2.0 is among us.

The sad thing is that WGCL has tried and failed and tried and failed and can never seem to find its niche, and this is going to get very old, very quickly. Going back and forth between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta hasn't helped either.

They want to make an impact? How about cleaning house with talent. Stefany Fisher has done nothing for you at the times you need numbers the most for the past 10 years, let her ass go or move her to another slot. Bring back Brandon Rudat because everyone wants him back. Let go of Markina Brown and promote Paul Ossmann to Chief.

Scott Light? Yeah no, move him to mornings where he belongs. Promote from within like Tony McNary or one of your longtime reporters to become weeknight anchor, or how about bring in a familiar face like John Bachman from WSB, I mean come on he is never going to be weeknight anchor like he hoped to be since WSB is grooming and swooning over Don Farmer, Jr. I hear Amanda Davis still wants to get back in the biz, bring her in also.

Drop the fucking CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta bullshit. You're never going to succeed if you keep going back and forth between two failing options. How about News 46? How about Local 46 (hell it's working in Memphis right now)? Better yet, just plain WGCL News. It's all you really need.

Stop relying heavily on "Asking Tough Questions", people don't want that. They want a perfect balance of hard and soft news, nothing overly fluffy but nothing overly "scare the hell out of you". Take a page from WSB, implement a county-by-county format.

Drop the fucking logo. If you're going to use the O&O graphics, use an O&O style logo. Otherwise, DON'T USE THEM AT ALL.

The root of your problems is in your anchor pairings. Stefany Fisher is your main problem. Did I mention you need to drop her like a bad habit? Oh wait I already did, well let me remind you again.

Stop trying to compete for viewers from WAGA and especially stop trying to compete with WSB, you will never be #1 so get over it. WXIA you can contend with, that is a decent ball game. Start watching what they do and try to one up them.

No more relying on beauty and emotionless journalism, WGCL its common sense! Maybe the new GM and News Director don't know about the past history of WGCL. Well who can blame them? Is there anyone there from the early days? Nope. This is why reading your TVNewsTalk.net is important, or else you're going to screw everything up again when you try to do something that has already been done to death.

PICK A NAME AND STICK WITH IT, stop changing everything, and get rid of Stefany Fisher. Then it's all smooth sailing from there...

But you know what. If they do clean house and get new talent and producers/directors and the higher ups (NDs & GMs, etc.), they'll probably going to have to do it again anyway if it doesn't work, like these see-saw branding and other cosmetic changes. It's like a tradition of its own to do that, and that's is not good at all.

So yes, before long, there will be another set of wholesale firings, because they just can't stick with the formula they've already have, unlike the other the three most established news clubs in town.

Why they didn't resurrect the old CBS 46 logo? They could've use the font from the old logo and have the big eye logo next to it. It looks way better than the new logo. But it's WGCL we're talking about. And that revolving door will just keep on turning and turning.......

As far as the logo is concerned, I just do not understand why they spell out CBS and have the eye logo. Have one or the other, not both. My preference would be just to have the eye logo, just like detroiter313's mock-ups. I hope the set shoots better than it looks in those pictures...

WGCL needs a WIAT or a WATN.

Instead it got this.

And it really could use a bit of this (my concept, made in five minutes in PS):

Oth3mBN.png

Threads like this give me the feeling that we could make a consultancy for television stations and it'd be really good.

Raymie, that's amazing! I wonder if its possible to make last ditch logo changes prior to a rebrand?

I actually came up with a mock logo myself, except it's inspired by the O&O design (sorry about the size):

PgBxtqX.png

What cable channel does WGCL operate on? I assume Cox is the dominant cable provider in the Atlanta area?

Couldn't WGCL do what most southwest Florida stations do and just go by their cable channel number, a la WWSB, WZVN, WBBH?

I don't think it would be a big deal and they could forget the whole '46' legacy.

What cable channel does WGCL operate on? I assume Cox is the dominant cable provider in the Atlanta area?

Nope, despite Atlanta being Cox Enterprises headquarters, it's a Comcast system. I think the only market where there's overlap between Cox Media Group and Cox Communications is Tulsa, where CMG recently picked up KOKI/KMYT during the Newport divestiture. The two subsidiaries are operated as separate entities and there's very little (if any) overlap between the two.

We should have a contest then.

No. Please no.

Archived