KNSD to leave Downtown San Diego in 2016

1place4news

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to bump this thread again, but just wondering if there is an update about how close KNSD is to their move. I was reminded about it last night while watching the news at 11; they were advertising the Fantasy on Ice rink which normally is done at Horton Square right outside of KNSD's studios. This year it has moved across town to Liberty Station. Anyone feel like we are very close to the move, maybe early January?

I noticed that too. It gets the ball rolling for KNSD to de-emphasize its Downtown presence.

I drove by last week and it was still a long way from being completed. Interior still looked gutted.

I think the XETV newsroom/ addition took a good 2 years to finish.

I went by a few weeks ago. They've added solar panels to the parking lot, the inside is still gutted as Eat News said. Candice Nguyen posted a video to her FB page of the inside. She said they should be ready to move in, sometime around April 2016.

When did XETV remodel their newsroom?

Keep in mind that they're trying to get this building LEED certified. How much of a delay that will add, I don't know. I imagine that the procedures/regulations/permitting process is more rigorous and time-consuming than a normal build.

I bet they go half ass on the solar and leave out the batteries/inverters so they cant go completely off grid.

Supposedly they're going to build it so it they aren't as dependent on the grid. Something about being able to continue operational if there was issues with blackouts or some other catastrophic events. It was in some kind of press release or article, can't find it right now. They've already spent $10 million on the building alone. If they were going to go cheap on something, i'm guessing it'll be the news set...

They've already spend $10 million on the building alone. If they were going to go cheap on something, i'm guessing it'll be the news set...

I will be impressed if they do the real deal on the solar...

They can get a set at Frys or Costco down the street

Keep in mind that they're trying to get this building LEED certified. How much of a delay that will add, I don't know. I imagine that the procedures/regulations/permitting process is more rigorous and time-consuming than a normal build.

LEED certification comes after the building is completed, so the certification itself doesn't add time to construction—but the additional systems required to attain it might. Most office/public buildings in California are built (or adhere to when undergoing extensive remodeling like the new KNSD building) to LEED standards by default these days since it saves so much in the long haul in both energy costs and tax incentives.

LEED certification comes after the building is completed, so the certification itself doesn't add time to construction—but the additional systems required to attain it might. Most office/public buildings in California are built (or adhere to when undergoing extensive remodeling like the new KNSD building) to LEED standards by default these days since it saves so much in the long haul in both energy costs and tax incentives.

Buildings are usually designed to target a specific LEED certification. This might be helpful.

Buildings are usually designed to target a specific LEED certification. This might be helpful.

TV stations are supposed to consume outrageous amounts of power. Radation from microwaves and thryristors (sic) bouncing around glowing tubes and conrac crt's is what makes TV stations sexy. Real TV stations don't need to pay for winter heating, and in the summer the AC makes for some mucho frio nippely temps.

More Sparks!

TV stations are supposed to consume outrageous amounts of power. Radation from microwaves and thryristors (sic) bouncing around glowing tubes and conrac crt's is what makes TV stations sexy. Real TV stations don't need to pay for winter heating, and in the summer the AC makes for some mucho frio nippely temps.

More Sparks!

Unfortunately the KNSD building may have nothing more than a STL (unless the transmitters fed by fiber from Encompass) and some receive antennas.

• 4 weeks later...

Construction is farther along than I had realized. It looks like they're shooting for move-in, sometime around March. Also, it sounds as if the news studio is almost complete but they're not allowed to take/share pictures of that.

Some pics of the newsroom:

[MEDIA=twitter]677964497902960640[/MEDIA]

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1689016041378145

Who else is at Kearny Mesa? I know that XETV and KUSI have studios and their HQ's at Kearny Mesa.

KFMB and KSWB. KNSD's new building is east of KSWB/KFMB/KUSI, right at the outskirts of Kearny Mesa. Had KNSD kept their old building/property they would have been down the street from XETV and only a few blocks away from KFMB and KSWB.

KFMB and KSWB. KNSD's new building is east of KSWB/KFMB/KUSI, right at the outskirts of Kearny Mesa. Had KNSD kept their old building/property they would have been down the street from XETV and only a few blocks away from KFMB and KSWB.

So are you saying this correctly? The following in Kearny Mesa:

• XETV 6

• KFMB 8
  • KNSD 39/Cable 7 (soon)
  • KUSI 51/Cable 9
  • KSWB 69/Cable 5

So I guess KGTV will remain in San Diego, huh?

So are you saying this correctly? The following in Kearny Mesa:

• XETV 6

• KFMB 8
  • KNSD 39/Cable 7 (soon)
  • KUSI 51/Cable 9
  • KSWB 69/Cable 5

So I guess KGTV will remain in San Diego, huh?

Kearny Mesa is actually within the City Limits of San Diego.

Ahhh. But it sounds like everybody except KGTV won't be exactly in the city or in downtown, anymore.

You can say that KGTV is the only one that is not in "Central" San Diego. In reality, Kearny Mesa is considered by some as the center of San Diego due to its geographical location and accessibility to several major freeways. This is the reason why many stations are housed in this area.

KGTV's building is east of downtown (on HWY 94), located in the community of Webster (City of San Diego limits). Kearny Mesa is a few miles north of downtown.

Hope it's not too confusing. I should add that all three areas mentioned above are less than 10 minutes from each other.

Construction is farther along than I had realized. It looks like they're shooting for move-in, sometime around March. Also, it sounds as if the news studio is almost complete but they're not allowed to take/share pictures of that.

Some pics of the newsroom:

[MEDIA=twitter]677964497902960640[/MEDIA]

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1689016041378145

Interesting desk dividers - I guess it could be used as a small bookshelf. I wonder if they will get three monitors on the desk using an IP stream (like KXAS) or two monitors and a traditional TV (like KNBC).

Also it looks like the empty portion of that glass wall will be used as a monitor wall.

You can say that KGTV is the only one that is not in "Central" San Diego. In reality, Kearny Mesa is considered by some as the center of San Diego due to its geographical location and accessibility to several major freeways. This is the reason why many stations are housed in this area.

KGTV's building is east of downtown (on HWY 94), located in the community of Webster (City of San Diego limits). Kearny Mesa is a few miles north of downtown.

Hope it's not too confusing. I should add that all three areas mentioned above are less than 10 minutes from each other.

The Mexicans(KBNT and Telemenudo are on Kearny Mesa also.

Kearney Mesa is home to most stations for 1 Major reason.

Direct line of site to Miguel, Soledad, Woodson,Cowles, and Palomar.

Next land is cheap and the Zoning all industrial with solid commercial electrical grid.

Very few people actually live within the confines of KM. Just a trailer park and a few homes left on the wrong side of the 805 (off Othello).

When stations first settled KM in the 60's and 70's he place was in the sticks and was only the home to Convair, Cubic and the precursor to Priceclub/ ....Fedmart. Missle Park also was there with it's train and rocket.

These real big "Guppie" airplanes used to land at Montgomery Field and transport large sections of ICBM rockets for Convair.

Highways 805,52, and 15 did not exist, so the luxury of central and easy freeway access also did not exist. US395 turned into Hwy 163...Balboa and Clairemont Mesa Blvd were mostly dirt beyond "the mesa" to the east.

Kearney Mesa was the home of the Tu-Vu Drive-in theater, Filippies Pizza, and the one and only "Taco Jack" ever built by Jack in the Box restaurants.

Taco Jack failed after 2 years.

Until 1999 XETV only had a sales and traffic office in the USA...studios were in Tijuana on Mt San Antonio with XEWT-12

The Mexicans(KBNT and Telemenudo are on Kearny Mesa also.

Kearney Mesa is home to most stations for 1 Major reason.

Direct line of site to Miguel, Soledad, Woodson,Cowles, and Palomar.

Next land is cheap and the Zoning all industrial with solid commercial electrical grid.

Very few people actually live within the confines of KM. Just a trailer park and a few homes left on the wrong side of the 805 (off Othello).

When stations first settled KM in the 60's and 70's he place was in the sticks and was only the home to Convair, Cubic and the precursor to Priceclub/ ....Fedmart. Missle Park also was there with it's train and rocket.

These real big "Guppie" airplanes used to land at Montgomery Field and transport large sections of ICBM rockets for Convair.

Highways 805,52, and 15 did not exist, so the luxury of central and easy freeway access also did not exist. US395 turned into Hwy 163...Balboa and Clairemont Mesa Blvd were mostly dirt beyond "the mesa" to the east.

Kearney Mesa was the home of the Tu-Vu Drive-in theater, Filippies Pizza, and the one and only "Taco Jack" ever built by Jack in the Box restaurants.

Taco Jack failed after 2 years.

Until 1999 XETV only had a sales and traffic office in the USA...studios were in Tijuana on Mt San Antonio with XEWT-12

Thanks for the info. KM sure has come a long way.

KNSD's old studios was in a nice location in Kearny Mesa being a stone's throw to highway 163. They should have never sold it, but then again that was another time under another GM.

Interesting desk dividers - I guess it could be used as a small bookshelf. I wonder if they will get three monitors on the desk using an IP stream (like KXAS) or two monitors and a traditional TV (like KNBC).

Also it looks like the empty portion of that glass wall will be used as a monitor wall.

That's what I was wondering as well. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a monitor wall or some kind of LED color wall (like the one used on Ellen). That circular portion behind the anchors is open allowing one to see into the 1st floor.

I'm hoping that they splurged on the new set. Hopefully something more like KXAS and less like KNBC...

Thanks for the info. KM sure has come a long way.

KNSD's old studios was in a nice location in Kearny Mesa being a stone's throw to highway 163. They should have never sold it, but then again that was another time under another GM.

Getting in and out of KM has been impossible during rush hour for many years. It's days as a great central location are long gone.

This shot is looking north with 163 north and south. The Convair plant is in there....and notice the lack of any dividers. The KCST/KNSD bldg would have been just behind this shot by about 100 yards. XETV would be 50yrds to the left of the Standard Station in the top of the shot(Clairemont Mesa Bl) 1444674538_KearnyMesa.jpg.1118464c3873396fe3de5677d016c2a1.jpg

Archived