KNSD to leave Downtown San Diego in 2016

1place4news

Per Jason Hughes of Hughes Mario:

"NBC is leaving downtown! NBC has negotiated a termination of their lease and will be moving out of downtown in October 2016. Comcast will be relocating the studio and office space to the suburbs into a company-owned building. This will be a big loss to downtown and to 225 Broadway where NBC has building top signage, their ground floor TV studios as well as the entire 3rd floor. Good news is that it frees up building top signage for someone else!"

KNSD moved to its streetside studios in 2001 from its longtime home on Engineer Road in Kearny Mesa, which has since been torn down. It will be interesting to see where they end up.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Jason Hughes of Hughes Mario:

"NBC is leaving downtown! NBC has negotiated a termination of their lease and will be moving out of downtown in October 2016. Comcast will be relocating the studio and office space to the suburbs into a company-owned building. This will be a big loss to downtown and to 225 Broadway where NBC has building top signage, their ground floor TV studios as well as the entire 3rd floor. Good news is that it frees up building top signage for someone else!"

KNSD moved to its streetside studios in 2001 from its longtime home on Engineer Road in Kearny Mesa, which has since been torn down. It will be interesting to see where they end up.

NOOOOO!!! I was just in San Diego and the NBC 7 building looked really nice from what I saw of it, but obviously they didn't feel the same way.

Thank goodness. While the Downtown building was nice, it really was not meant to house a tv station. I had a sneaking suspicion that they were looking to move from Downtown when every other NBC O&O was getting new sets and KNSD was left behind.

Edit: October 2016 is too far off. I'm curious to see where they move to and if it's a building already constructed or they're going to construct. Either way, they could still move out earlier and use the downtown studio as bureau until their lease is up.

Thank goodness. While the Downtown building was nice, it really was not meant to house a tv station. I had a sneaking suspicion that they were looking to move from Downtown when every other NBC O&O was getting new sets and KNSD was left behind.

Edit: October 2016 is too far off. I'm curious to see where they move to and if it's a building already constructed or they're going to construct. Either way, they could still move out earlier and use the downtown studio as bureau until their lease is up.

I too am curious as to where they'll move. I'm not sure if Comcast already owns property in the city, so perhaps the far-off termination date is a way to give them time to find/build something. Almost every other station, English and Spanish, has studios in the Kearny Mesa area, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up back there. The exeception is KGTV, which has studios in the Webster area (a not-so-nice nieghborhood they like to dress up as "Central San Diego") just outside Downtown.

The Downtown studio is really nice, but operations are hindered by its small size and awkward layout. I can remember when they first moved they would have the anchors step outside and do segments, and Kimberly King did the "Streetside San Diego" show. But budget cuts and a change in news philosophy sadly put an end to that. I think at the time they were hoping to get throngs of people like outside Today in New York, but instead got transients and people waiting for bus transfers. I'll miss the windowed newsroom and studio, but I do think they're making the right call to get out of what's probably an expensive lease and move to a space better suited for their needs, hopefully with a larger studio and a nice new set like every other NBC station is getting.

I too am curious as to where they'll move. I'm not sure if Comcast already owns property in the city, so perhaps the far-off termination date is a way to give them time to find/build something. Almost every other station, English and Spanish, has studios in the Kearny Mesa area, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up back there. The exeception is KGTV, which has studios in the Webster area (a not-so-nice nieghborhood they like to dress up as "Central San Diego") just outside Downtown.

The Downtown studio is really nice, but operations are hindered by its small size and awkward layout. I can remember when they first moved they would have the anchors step outside and do segments, and Kimberly King did the "Streetside San Diego" show. But budget cuts and a change in news philosophy sadly put an end to that. I think at the time they were hoping to get throngs of people like outside Today in New York, but instead got transients and people waiting for bus transfers. I'll miss the windowed newsroom and studio, but I do think they're making the right call to get out of what's probably an expensive lease and move to a space better suited for their needs, hopefully with a larger studio and a nice new set like every other NBC station is getting.

Agreed. I can see them moving back to Kearny Mesa, since it's centrally located to severak freeways and only about a 10 minute drive north from Downtown SD. Had Jeff Zucker decided to not sell the building then it would have still been under the control of NBC. Funny thing, that by the time they make their move, some NBC O&O's will be due for new sets and KNSD's set would be 15 years old. KFMB and KUSI could use new building as well, but I don't see that happening.

They still park their big satellite trucks in a lot right next to its old location (Now Kearny Mesa Toyota) directly across from Mercedes Benz of SD off Engineer Road. I'm shooting somewhere near that area close by.

I wonder if Comcast will try and buy off Telemundo 33 off Entravision since they are duopoly with Univision but I doubt it since Telemundo is a Spanish station with its transmitters in Tijuana unless KBNT and XHAS flip flop and switch affiliates to merge KNSD and Telemundo a duopoly? Just a vision lol

They still park their big satellite trucks in a lot right next to its old location (Now Kearny Mesa Toyota) directly across from Mercedes Benz of SD off Engineer Road. I'm shooting somewhere near that area close by.

I wonder if Comcast will try and buy off Telemundo 33 off Entravision since they are duopoly with Univision but I doubt it since Telemundo is a Spanish station with its transmitters in Tijuana unless KBNT and XHAS flip flop and switch affiliates to merge KNSD and Telemundo a duopoly? Just a vision lol

That's what I was thinking as well. Telemundo in San Diego has not been treated really well, among many things, they still don't show programming national/local in HD. They could also put Telemundo on a digital subchannel, if worse comes to worse. A press release from KNSD's GM states that they needed a bigger more "versatile facility for news," and that was not going to happen at the Downtown building. I get the feeling that this new building will be more MMJ/VJ friendly and this could be a blueprint for what Comcast/NBC will impose at its O&O's. After all, KNSD has been hiring more and more MMJ/VJ's in the last few years, much more than the other O&O's.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/jan/09/nbc-set-leave-horton-plaza-2016/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kpbs%2Flocal+%28KPBS+News%3A+Local+Headlines%29

That's what I was thinking as well. Telemundo in San Diego has not been treated really well, among many things, they still don't show programming national/local in HD. They could also put Telemundo on a digital subchannel, if worse comes to worse. A press release from KNSD's GM states that they needed a bigger more "versatile facility for news," and that was not going to happen at the Downtown building. I get the feeling that this new building will be more MMJ/VJ friendly and this could be a blueprint for what Comcast/NBC will impose at its O&O's. After all, KNSD has been hiring more and more MMJ/VJ's in the last few years, much more than the other O&O's.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/jan/09/nbc-set-leave-horton-plaza-2016/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kpbs%2Flocal+%28KPBS+News%3A+Local+Headlines%29

KNSD ran KBOP-CA 43 (Mi TV San Diego) and produced newscasts in Spanish for a few years. XHAS and KBNT do have HD signals but I dont think they are available on all cable systems.

NBC has been on quite a little buiding spree these past few years. They built new facilities for KNTV and KSTS in the Bay Area, recenly opened a new building for KXAS and KXTX in Dallas, and are still working on a new building for KNBC and KVEA in Los Angeles. I do wonder if they'll construct this facility with the idea of acquiring its own outlet for Telemundo down the road.

They're not just hiring MMJs but people who do more than just straight report. I know their weekend weather people report and fill-in anchor at times, and some of their sports anchors/producers also do news reports. News production in the new building will no doubt be automated, as they appear to already be in the process of implementing it in their current facility. KNSD was one of the holdouts, mostly because of the limitations of their studio space. I believe KUSI and possibly XETV still use manual switchers.

KFMB and KUSI could use new building as well, but I don't see that happening.

I believe both stations own their buildings and are in easily accessable locations, so I don't think they'll be making similar moves. I also predict KNSD will have moved into their new studios before KUSI (and quite possibly KFMB) installs a new set.

KNSD ran KBOP-CA 43 (Mi TV San Diego) and produced newscasts in Spanish for a few years. XHAS and KBNT do have HD signals but I dont think they are available on all cable systems.

NBC has been on quite a little buiding spree these past few years. They built new facilities for KNTV and KSTS in the Bay Area, recenly opened a new building for KXAS and KXTX in Dallas, and are still working on a new building for KNBC and KVEA in Los Angeles. I do wonder if they'll construct this facility with the idea of acquiring its own outlet for Telemundo down the road.

They're not just hiring MMJs but people who do more than just straight report. I know their weekend weather people report and fill-in anchor at times, and some of their sports anchors/producers also do news reports. News production in the new building will no doubt be automated, as they appear to already be in the process of implementing it in their current facility. KNSD was one of the holdouts, mostly because of the limitations of their studio space. I believe KUSI and possibly XETV still use manual switchers.

I believe both stations own their buildings and are in easily accessable locations, so I don't think they'll be making similar moves. I also predict KNSD will have moved into their new studios before KUSI (and quite possibly KFMB) installs a new set.

XHAS has an HD signal? I have KBNT in HD here on COX, so if XHAS was in HD I don't know what the hold up would be. Plus I emailed them back in March of last year asking about it and they told me they were working on it and thank you for the concern. I do remember KBOP and the newscasts and they did pretty well with the very very limited resources invested in it, a lot better than XHAS was and still is putting out. I would have I think that the possibility of bringing in Telemundo (in house, I suppose) to KNSD is one of the big reasons for them getting a new building. I mean, if it was just KNSD, then they could have maybe made do with what they had and if they needed more space then lease another floor in the building, but no way you can run two full fledged tv stations out of there. In regards to KFMB: They desperately need at the very least a new newsroom. It looks very outdated and probably hasn't seen any major work done on it since the 90s. I do think they'll get a new set in a few years before KNSD moves into their new place. KUSI is sketchy, isn't they set pretty close to 20 years old now? plus the McKinnons were going to move the station Downtown but look what happened there.

XHAS has an HD signal? I have KBNT in HD here on COX, so if XHAS was in HD I don't know what the hold up would be. Plus I emailed them back in March of last year asking about it and they told me they were working on it and thank you for the concern. I do remember KBOP and the newscasts and they did pretty well with the very very limited resources invested in it, a lot better than XHAS was and still is putting out. I would have I think that the possibility of bringing in Telemundo (in house, I suppose) to KNSD is one of the big reasons for them getting a new building. I mean, if it was just KNSD, then they could have maybe made do with what they had and if they needed more space then lease another floor in the building, but no way you can run two full fledged tv stations out of there. In regards to KFMB: They desperately need at the very least a new newsroom. It looks very outdated and probably hasn't seen any major work done on it since the 90s. I do think they'll get a new set in a few years before KNSD moves into their new place. KUSI is sketchy, isn't they set pretty close to 20 years old now? plus the McKinnons were going to move the station Downtown but look what happened there.

You think maybe KUSI wants to lease the space once NBC moves out? It probably won't happen, but wishful thinking I guess...

You think maybe KUSI wants to lease the space once NBC moves out? It probably won't happen, but wishful thinking I guess...

They'd be a good fit for that space. Problem is that the owners are cheap and I doubt they would go out and lease a buliding when they own their own. There is also the big issue of parking and accessibility into and out of the area which is playing a big role in KNSD moving out.

I'm guessing a Jack Morton PDG or a BDI set.

(I'm just jumping the gun)

For KUSI? Never in a million years. Maybe when they do decide to get a new set, it will probably be an FX job or most likely get a local contractor to do the work for them. They just replaced some lighting behind the glass map/KUSI logo on their set to LED, so they should be good on maintenance of the set for another 3-4 years.

They'd be a good fit for that space. Problem is that the owners are cheap and I doubt they would go out and lease a buliding when they own their own. There is also the big issue of parking and accessibility into and out of the area which is playing a big role in KNSD moving out.

For KUSI? Never in a million years. Maybe when they do decide to get a new set, it will probably be an FX job or most likely get a local contractor to do the work for them. They just replaced some lighting behind the glass map/KUSI logo on their set to LED, so they should be good on maintenance of the set for another 3-4 years.

OOOH LED! major upgrade hahahah

No. KNSD, based on what KXAS just got.

I don't see it happening at all. KNSD does not have a MC at 225. When plans were being made for the move, NBC was also planning their HUB and said they really didn't need a MC because of it. Since space was, and still is, so tight one was never put in.

Now granted, with automation not as much space is needed so maybe something could be reworked, if KUSI is already using an automated MC.

I also don't think Irvine, the company that owns the building, really wants a TV station there to begin with.

No. KNSD, based on what KXAS just got.

BDI probably not, but one never knows. Plus NBC has been using Clickspring for several of the sets at the other O&O's, correct? Either way one can assume that it will have similar elements as the others.

I don't see it happening at all. KNSD does not have a MC at 225. When plans were being made for the move, NBC was also planning their HUB and said they really didn't need a MC because of it. Since space was, and still is, so tight one was never put in.

Now granted, with automation not as much space is needed so maybe something could be reworked, if KUSI is already using an automated MC.

I also don't think Irvine, the company that owns the building, really wants a TV station there to begin with.

The space can be used as bank like it was before KNSD moved in. Do you know or think that they'll be out of there before Oct. 2016?

The space can be used as bank like it was before KNSD moved in. Do you know or think that they'll be out of there before Oct. 2016?

I doubt it. Comcast will need time to find a facility and make it ready for broadcasting, and if it is ready before then I doubt they'll make the move with too many months left to pay on the lease. I'm guessing there will be some overlap, but not much.

I doubt it. Comcast will need time to find a facility and make it ready for broadcasting, and if it is ready before then I doubt they'll make the move with too many months left to pay on the lease. I'm guessing there will be some overlap, but not much.

I would think Comcast will want to build something from the ground up like KXAS. Or WVIT's awesome facility (that's like five years old now but still)...

For some reason, I think they're farther along with the process than they're leading on. That is, I think they probably have a parcel of land selected or at the very least an area where they want to move to. My gut tells me its Kearny Mesa, but you can't leave out Sorrento Valley which has seen a tremendous amount of business growth. We don't get too much rain here so any weather delays would be minimal, the only hangups would be permits but they can get people to speed that up. Theoretically, they can have something ready to go by let's say Spring of 2016 but I understand the Oct. 2016 deadline to give them a few extra months just in case. The KPBS article also mentioned that there will be a meeting with employees on Monday to give them details on the move.

I would think Comcast will want to build something from the ground up like KXAS. Or WVIT's awesome facility (that's like five years old now but still)...

I agree. Curious to see what KNBC's new building will have which could be replicated here in someway.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on KNSD's move from Downtown. The San Diego Daily Transcript wrote a small article on KNSD's impending move. Among the new details being revealed:

*KNSD is eyeing Kearny Mesa as its next location

*The Downtown facilities were not the adequate location to grow the station

*Among the reasons from leaving Downtown: Parking- expensive and in short supply

*Still no word on whether they plan to construct a new facility or occupy an existing space

*Plenty of free parking is expected at the new facility

*All the details should be finalized in about 3 months

*Although their re-negotiated lease ends in late 2016, SDDT reports that KNSD could move out earlier if an adequate space is found.

There are plenty of buildings in Kearny Mesa that are empty but as the economy pics up they will start filling up and prices will increase. There are a few spots in the area where they could build if they choose to. I should point out that while not in Kearny Mesa per se (pretty close to it), the former FBI building sits empty in the Murphy Canyon area. The building is about 3 or 4 stories tall and looks like there would be plenty of space to house a tv station. It is also up the street from the Clear Channel building and 2 blocks from Interstate 15.

Link to article (subscription), I was however able to read the entire article before the free preview ended...

http://www.sddt.com/news/article.cfm?SourceCode=20140121czc&_t=KNSD+move+to+Kearny+Mesa+likely#.UuSc5rTTmpo

It definitely sounds like their talking sooner rather than later if details will be final in 3 months. I definitely feel this move will put them on target to become the best station in town if they get it right. I'm excited to see how the set turns out also the newsroom, which out of everything, they could use the most.

It definitely sounds like their talking sooner rather than later if details will be final in 3 months. I definitely feel this move will put them on target to become the best station in town if they get it right. I'm excited to see how the set turns out also the newsroom, which out of everything, they could use the most.

I' m sure that this new building will help them work more efficiently. Plus Comcast is serious in investing for the NBC O&O's, so i'm sure they wont be cutting corners to do it on the cheap. Regardless if they dot all the I's and cross all the T's in the next three months, there is still plenty of work to do. So at the very least we're still talking about a year and a half before they could move- pending that everything goes smoothly.

• 2 months later...

Update from an excerpt on TVNewscheck's interview with NBC O&O president Valerie Staab in regards to KNSD's new building:

CAU is going into the new Comcast building in 2017. San Diego is about to close on a new location and they will be in by ’16. And then we’re also looking at doing some work at WRC [Washington]. It’s probably a three-year project to upgrade the interior of their building.

Update from an excerpt on TVNewscheck's interview with NBC O&O president Valerie Staab in regards to KNSD's new building:

First I've heard about WRC too. But I've heard their building is quite dated. That combined with the fact that it also functions as NBC News' Washington bureau, and it makes sense why Comcast thinks updating the building is worth the investment.

Archived