KNSD to leave Downtown San Diego in 2016

1place4news

It was posted in another thread but since this one was already going, I thought I'd put it here too. NBC has finalized plans to move KNSD out of its current facilities in Downtown San Diego and moving out to suburban Kearny Mesa.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jun/23/nbc-studios-national-broadcasting-company-moving/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was posted in another thread but since this one was already going, I thought I'd put it here too. NBC has finalized plans to move KNSD out of its current facilities in Downtown San Diego and moving out to suburban Kearny Mesa.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jun/23/nbc-studios-national-broadcasting-company-moving/

A statement from the GM said they were going to "build a state of the art facility from the ground up". I'm curious to know if they plan on demolishing the current building completely. That is the only logical reason why it will take two years for them to move in. Otherwise if they were going to do a remodel, then they could have been in by next year.

A statement from the GM said they were going to "build a state of the art facility from the ground up". I'm curious to know if they plan on demolishing the current building completely. That is the only logical reason why it will take two years for them to move in. Otherwise if they were going to do a remodel, then they could have been in by next year.

Sounds about right.

I personally don't see any reason to tear that building down. It looks to be in perfectly fine shape. Great location too, right near a freeway and Montgomery Field, which would provide some convenience should they decide to lease their own chopper once again. I also believe a remodel isn't as simple as it would appear to be, especially for a building that large, considering they'll have to create studio, production and broadcast space, install transmitters and satellite dishes, and then wire it all together. That alone is not an easy task to complete, so I'm assuming they're giving themselves enough time to get it right.

I personally don't see any reason to tear that building down. It looks to be in perfectly fine shape. Great location too, right near a freeway and Montgomery Field, which would provide some convenience should they decide to lease their own chopper once again. I also believe a remodel isn't as simple as it would appear to be, especially for a building that large, considering they'll have to create studio, production and broadcast space, install transmitters and satellite dishes, and then wire it all together. That alone is not an easy task to complete, so I'm assuming they're giving themselves enough time to get it right.

Neither do I, but since the GM is quoted as saying that they will be building a state of the art facility "from the ground up," I took that as a tear down and constructing something brand new. Since we have very few rainy days here anyways, construction delays will be minimal in that area. Plus, Comcast will be spending a pretty penny to get this facility up and running, so there is no reason as to why a remodel would take two years to complete- regardless of what work needs to be done. I've seen brand new buildings get constructed/completed in a year and a half (at the max) around here- granted, they're not tv stations, but if there is a lot of work that needs to be done (such as electrical) then there is no reason why builder would not hire additional crews to get it done.

The address they cited in the article is practically next to ClearChannel's San Diego operations near the I-15, up the hill from Fry's Electronics.

I too am curious as to where they'll move. I'm not sure if Comcast already owns property in the city, so perhaps the far-off termination date is a way to give them time to find/build something. Almost every other station, English and Spanish, has studios in the Kearny Mesa area, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up back there. The exeception is KGTV, which has studios in the Webster area (a not-so-nice nieghborhood they like to dress up as "Central San Diego") just outside Downtown.

It just occurred to me, perhaps they could revive the moniker (borrowed from the old NBC Tonight Show with Johnny Carson), "Live from atop beautiful Kearney Mesa overlooking the vast concrete throughway of Interstate 15 kissed by the canyons of San Diego -- is NBC San Diego 7 at Five."

• 9 months later...

An update from earlier this month...

*Construction work has started on their new(old) building.

*From the video, it looks like the building's insides were completely gutted, leaving only the skeleton and outside facade so to speak.

*The building will be solar/fuel cell powered for the most part.

*One very interesting to note: in one of the picture captions, it says that the facility will open in early 2016. (A lot earlier than previously announced. The original opening date was for late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter of 2016).

*The GM of the station in the video said that everything should be done within 12 months.

I assume that the accelerated completion is due to not having to build from the ground up, plus with the San Diego weather, any delays on that end should be minimal. Not sure if there were any other circumstances/motivations for redoing the current building as opposed to doing a new construction.

Link to the story

I assume that the accelerated completion is due to not having to build from the ground up, plus with the San Diego weather, any delays on that end should be minimal. Not sure if there were any other circumstances/motivations for redoing the current building as opposed to doing a new construction.

The building was built in 1990. It would cost more to tear it down and rebuild than to do the minimal retrofits required to bring it up to whatever modern-day building codes it doesn't already meet.

With a move like this to a new location, does a station simply move their existing satellite dishes, or purchase/install new ones at their new location? KNSD only has 3 dishes on the roof of their current building, seems like not as many that other stations have...

With a move like this to a new location, does a station simply move their existing satellite dishes, or purchase/install new ones at their new location? KNSD only has 3 dishes on the roof of their current building, seems like not as many that other stations have...

I'm guessing they purchase new of [almost] everything. Their equipment is pretty beat up, from their live trucks down to their mics/mic flags. Plus, wouldn't it be a logistical nightmare to move those satellite dishes from the top of the building all the way over to Kearny Mesa?

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt they would even consider doing that. No news organization would willingly give up satellite access. I also have a suspicion that those three are not the only dishes that KNSD use - I would guess there are some extra dishes at their transmitter site.

I've noticed that downtown and the current building have disappeared from the opens in recent weeks. Perhaps we're closer than we thought to a move?

I don't know why they would remove downtown shots but the building sounds like interesting factoid. Then again they could just be changing uo

They updated the opens about a month ago with new shots of the city. Every single newscast has a different open (so to speak). I'm sure part of it is to focus less on the NBC tower, but also the area around the building (Horton Plaza) looks waaay different now than it did when the graphics debuted. The new building- barring any setbacks, should be up and runnning by April 2016.

I would argue that there will be fewer satellite dishes. More and more content is being kept in the Cloud and delivered via fiber. There is still a need for satellite feeds, particularly for live events, but the time when everything will be delivered via fiber is a lot closer than you think.

For what it's worth a photographer at KNSD posted that he got a free t shirt and hat today showing a peacock with a construction hat at work today. The peacock is in the same style as my avatar.

https://instagram.com/p/2TyN_4wy-g/

That is definetly a nod to your avatar, which (for those who didn't know) was drawn by John Kricfalusi of "Ren and Stimpy" and Spümcø fame.

• 3 months later...

Beam me up!!!

They may need to hire some extras to make the place look "busy".

For sure. Although I don't know if NBC/Comcast will give them more resources to expand (Can't imagine they won't since they've already spent in excess of $10 million on just acquiring the property--not including the other expenses to get it ready for use). If they were hampered by space as a reason for not hiring more people, then they won't have that excuse with this new building.

I noticed that building sits a bit low for hitting some of the northern microwave sites. You can't see Mt Santiago Did you see any tower going up yet? Grated KUSI sits lower in Murphy Canyon, but KUSI has no LA sites that they need to hit.

I can't see KNSD/NBCUI spending more money on more sd/la fiber that microwave was taking care of in the past.

I noticed that building sits a bit low for hitting some of the northern microwave sites. You can't see Mt Santiago Did you see any tower going up yet? Grated KUSI sits lower in Murphy Canyon, but KUSI has no LA sites that they need to hit.

I can't see KNSD/NBCUI spending more money on more sd/la fiber that microwave was taking care of in the past.

I thought fiber was becoming the norm for sending back ENG receive sites. Do you think most of their receive sites could hit their transmitter site and fiber it back to the studio?

Also what are you referring to by LA sites ? Shared towers between them & KNBC or a microwave links to send stuff back and forth.

Fiber cost money...lots of it. Most ENG microwave systems are dual path microwave on 24/7 duty cycles.

LA site are the backhuals/tsl/stl etc.

It would be nice to have all the paths as fiber, but the cost would go through the roof.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread again, but just wondering if there is an update about how close KNSD is to their move. I was reminded about it last night while watching the news at 11; they were advertising the Fantasy on Ice rink which normally is done at Horton Square right outside of KNSD's studios. This year it has moved across town to Liberty Station. Anyone feel like we are very close to the move, maybe early January?

Archived