WLNY Gets New CBS Graphics

NYNewsCoverage

Something about WBZ's version of the O&O graphics annoy the hell out of me

WBZ:

GusmD9i.jpg?1

WCBS:

E9UqzRX.jpg?1

Why? Because it just seems like WBZ rushes on creating a higher quality open than the other O&O stations, It annoys me alot for some reason. More pictures below. NOTE: View the pictures in full screen, so you know what I am talking about

uPMDfId.jpg?1

vmjLW0W.jpg?1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want to try that again 24994J?

In the sentence in question, you said "skyline", not just "sky".

I've noticed this often. Not only that, but the daytime sky is from NY and occasionally the evening sky NY too. I see NY SKYLINE in Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Denver, Los Angeles, Boston and it irks me! The designer have no idea what they're doing. It's irritating.

Just splittin' hairs, no offense.

Do you think anyone cares that 2 inches of the Sky is actually New York? Who says its NY's sky, it could be NJ's sky. It's a sky, it's all the same.

Thank You! You can't even see the buildings in the shot of the sky that "samunreel" just uploaded. Who really cares? Sure, the graphics could be better without the daytime sky during the evening opens, but other than that, there's nothing wrong with it. And can you really notice a difference from just seeing a sky and knowing that it's from new york without the full skyline and even any buildings?

I think that entire eye graphic is really incongruous. The opens would look so much better if the final logo reveal were just another circle iris wipe, rather than that strange animation that flashes on the screen really quickly, and then the transition from it being this huge graphic device to the eye in the logo is really rough.

It's also still trying too hard to copy Look F.

Strange why Blue Helio has no real presence online like other companies (Giant Octopus) with the exception of discussion forums like us here at TVNT.

Also, it is really weird watching at night with a day sky in the middle of the WLNY open.

Lastly, I really like "The Couch" graphics that are simple and clean, and different from all other channels and the regular CBS O&O graphics.

Strange why Blue Helio has no real presence online like other companies (Giant Octopus) with the exception of discussion forums like us here at TVNT.

Also, it is really weird watching at night with a day sky in the middle of the WLNY open.

Lastly, I really like "The Couch" graphics that are simple and clean, and different from all other channels and the regular CBS O&O graphics.

Sure, the couch graphics are different, but are hardly any use when you can't read them. When a company creates graphics, you do want to make them different and unique, but not so they are unreadable. I find the white very hard to read on the orange lots of times. But that's just me and others may find it easier. I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but that music that they use is pretty catchy. But CBS should really look to fix that mistake in the WLNY open. Also, by the way, I really love that cut of image news WLNY is using, it's catchy and upbeat but still is not too flashy and modern, keeping that serious news feel. Are there any ratings for "the couch" or WLNY news at 9? Thanks, I'd love to know.

I don't understand where this "Blue Helio" business comes from, or whether there's any connection to Giant Octopus, but I found that Helio Vega (that's a person's name, not a company) apparently designed the "Only CBS" network campaign, so perhaps he also designed the CBS O&O look?

http://www.heliovega.com/

(Click on "CBS tv brand design")

The only thing that's strange is that I looked this guy up on Linkedin, and it says he's been working for Al Jazeera's creative team in Doha since July 2013...

So either he designed the O&O graphics and bailed for Al Jazeera a few months before they started rolling out on the O&Os, or he continued to work on them on a freelance basis while also starting at Al Jazeera, or he didn't design the O&O look at all and someone else did...

CBS Central Creative or whatever the hell they call it made these, I think.

Again. No. 1. Watching this video and 2. Look at the name of the owner/poster of this video:

https://vimeo.com/41133269

For an extended preview of this branding that never was used (sadly), see the following from the Creative Director at CBS Marketing:

https://vimeo.com/42439236

• 1 month later...

Which series of Image News are these video's using (including WLNY)? I find the theme very catchy. I saw NewsMusicNow did some upgrades and had Image News series 1-7, but I could not find the version I was looking for. If someone knows the version, is there any website that one can listen to it for free? Thanks.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6fdDBuxeo1I

Which series of Image News are these video's using (including WLNY)? I find the theme very catchy. I saw NewsMusicNow did some upgrades and had Image News series 1-7, but I could not find the version I was looking for. If someone knows the version, is there any website that one can listen to it for free? Thanks.

This is probably the 10th disc of Image (or maybe even NG???) I have the first nine CDs and that cut is nowhere to be found. I also REALLY like the cuts and I tried to contact Gari, but that went nowhere. It looks like nobody but Gari and the stations who use it (WLNY, KCAL, WSOC, WFLX to name a few) have the cuts. :(

Once again, graphics say "WLNY New York" instead of Riverhead.

Honestly, folks. With a complete lack of an internet prescience outside of a Vimeo page with single unused promotions package on it, There really isn't any evidence that Blue Helio as a company exists.

A Google search for "Blue Helio graphics" just shows that at some point, the name appeared on NewscastStudio in relation to the CBS O&O package. If someone didn't post it in a comment that disappeared, then NewscastStudio lifted it from here with the rest of the story and later removed it. There's a Wikipedia page that someone edited "Giant Octopus" to "Blue Helios" to without logging in. Then there's this thread and a ton of unrelated stuff.

Something tells me that "Blue Helio" is just a name someone at CBS's graphics department uses/used to post online (I know other designers who do this, posting with a vaguely official-sounding firm name). Perhaps it was a failed attempt to start up a graphics company, who knows. Until the day comes where there's a web presence outside of one video, I think it's safe to say they're not active.

There's a Wikipedia page that someone edited "Giant Octopus" to "Blue Helios" to without logging in.

They also messed up In-Sink (the actual name) and made it In-Sync.

Either way, industry guys also call them Blue Helio. A friend of mine has spoken to HotHaus' guys and they call them by that name.

They also messed up In-Sink (the actual name) and made it In-Sync.

Either way, industry guys also call them Blue Helio. A friend of mine has spoken to HotHaus' guys and they call them by that name.

BCN, In-Sync was the name original package, but the CSD's last name (at the time) was Cindy Sink. So they renamed the package in her honor.

Hey folks. Check out http://bluehelio.com/ What do we see?

Also, if G.O. really did create the WLEX, WLS, WAVY and CBS O&O graphics, why haven't they posted them on their site and why aren't they anywhere in their 2013 demo?

Archived