KNBC debuts new facilities

stormytx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would surmise that "Vision Plus" (NBC 4's nickname for their Perceptive Pixel) is the monitor showing the 7-day to the left. Wonder if they'll use that for the weather instead of a chroma from now on....which fits what look like a trend set up by stations like WPVI and WTVD.

They just briefly showed the new set on the live stream after Today in LA Weekend.

Screen Grab: http://s29.postimg.org/584m09bo7/New_set.png

Definitely ClickSpring. Looks like mesh between the WNBC set and the WCAU set. I'm not a huge fan. It's doesn't particularly scream SoCal. I would have hoped that this new set could have been rendered like WTVJ meshed with WNBC elements. This is gray and really boring. It need wood tones and color changing LEDs!

Overall, it's uninspired. I'm bored. Next!

I would surmise that "Vision Plus" (NBC 4's nickname for their Perceptive Pixel) is the monitor showing the 7-day to the left. Wonder if they'll use that for the weather instead of a chroma from now on....which fits what look like a trend set up by stations like WPVI and WTVD.

I can't speak for WTVD. I can speak for WPVI, though. They do forecasts at the Big Board but the main 6 and 11 (and noon) are typical chromakey. The Big Board's also more of an all-purpose thing for them; they overuse it tremendously.

"NBC 4 You"?

Facepalm JimTM! We need you!

I've been watching The Weather Channel for nearly a month straight. Today they've replaced the normal stupidly cute greetings with ones related to Groundhog Day and/or Groundhog Day. And after the amount of monumentally stupid coverage they've given to Groundhog Day, "NBC 4 You" just elicits a shrug.

Here in the UK we are moving away from Chromakey for weather. Our main news networks are BBC, ITN and Sky.

The BBC either forecast in the news studio using one of the 103" Panasonic screens, or from their weather center across the newsroom again using a 103" Panasonic screen (although overnight on their News Channel, it comes from a Chromakey cupboard).

ITN provide news for ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Their studios are totally virtual reality with only a desk and a riser for ITV and 5 so their forecasts come from Chromakey whilst Channel 4 comes from another 103" Panasonic screen. ITV's morning show 'Daybreak' has their weather from another 103" screen that is moveable and used in wide shots.

Sky on the other hand, use LED light tiles connected to a PC and stacked two stories high and across to make a massive 16:9 screen. They forecast weather against that, although overnight they voice it over.

That screen on the left looks pretty small to forecast from, if it was over here, we'd be using the screen on the right.

They're in the new studio, and yes, new look!! I'm seeing a blend of elements seen in KXAS' GFX, and Look F....indeed "Look F V.2" as it has been called. The 4 in the NBC 4 logo is now a silvery white. LA Groove/KNBC 2007 stays, though..so fans of that package like myself can be happy.

The main portion of the set looks a bit sterile, they should have gone with brighter colors. The weather center is the best part of the set IMO. Graphics are a nice update, the L3's are a bit more animated.

Absolutely HATE the anchor names on the front desk monitors. It looks so bad and tacky and I sure hope that is done away with soon. Other than that it's a great look. L3s look sharp, and I'm so glad they changed the bug to a white "4" and got rid of that awful white box from the previous version. Anchor desk and weather areas look great, and I really like the 7-day forecast for individual cities on the wing during weather segments.

I'm liking the "sidebar 7-Day" in the weather segments....saw my city right in there, and no other city is doing the 7-day like that out here. Also, has anyone noticed that the walls on either side of the 5-panel "window" behind the anchors are animated? That's cool....and that reminds me a bit about KSL and their LED wall panels. I wonder if this is the same thing here....

EDIT: Just took a closer look at the wall behind Fred just before they went to break.....and these walls ARE that kind of thing! AWESOME!

10 could use those flat panels on their desk, it looks so weird since they added a front to it (originally it was a glass desk with no bottom part)

My take on the look: fantastic. It continues to prove that you can iterate on Look F, and while keeping more or less the same look, go in a fascinating direction with it.

Weather presentation was great. The weather center is probably the first use of those slightly-seamed monitors that made total sense - how it transitioned into a shot of the skyline on four of them, a logo on one, and current conditions on the other ones. I really like how the NBC O&Os are approaching weather now. I love the 7-day sidebar NBC 4 now uses in addition to the regular forecast - it's a nice use of space. And the zone forecast approach is a very good one, I feel.

Definitely ClickSpring. Looks like mesh between the WNBC set and the WCAU set. I'm not a huge fan. It's doesn't particularly scream SoCal. I would have hoped that this new set could have been rendered like WTVJ meshed with WNBC elements. This is gray and really boring. It need wood tones and color changing LEDs!

Overall, it's uninspired. I'm bored. Next!

It does seem to be a tad bit "cool" for SoCal. But guys this is also only ONE photo. We don't know what the rest looks like and it could look better on TV than it does in that pic. However it's most definitely a mix of WTVJ and WNBC.

Caught last nights newscast at 11 and today at noon. Kathy Vara was wearing the same outfit and necklace. Smh. Besides the set and weather center, I wonder if they have a multi-purpose area for segments?

Archived