KNBC debuts new facilities

stormytx

Here's a bunch more photos of the set, newsroom and building:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shootsean/sets/72157640413977955/

I have seen it on air and photos of it. I can't get over how "sterile" it looks. It needs some kind of color. And its a rather large studio but I feel like a quarter of it is actually being used.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem to be a tad bit "cool" for SoCal. But guys this is also only ONE photo. We don't know what the rest looks like and it could look better on TV than it does in that pic. However it's most definitely a mix of WTVJ and WNBC.

Correction: BDI... Hmmm.

Yes. 'Cool'. More than one photo here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shootsean/sets/72157640413977955/) and that idea is not worth revising.

WTVJ and WNBC? Seriously?! I don't see any bright color changing LEDs, white Plexiglas and wood-tones. Maybe you need to refamiliarize your self with the WTVJ set here: http://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/wtvj/

And if you can identify specifically to what your are finding in similar design qualities at these two sets, please inform me!

In mho, it looks like something from Star Trek: Enterprise. And I take it back that it looks like something from WCAU because this set is just a mix of black, white, blue and graphite :p

Well, being that just about every recent O&O set has been different, who knows what we can expect at KNSD. Hope we get those graphics though.

Looks like those graphics are coming to all the O&Os in some iteration. WCAU has had some hints that point towards them, the biggest one being their news app getting updated yesterday complete with this new splash screen:

Screenshots_2014-02-03-20-47-23.thumb.png.32f95e98afeca00da68f8b35464c57db.png

Kinda looks like whatever the current letter look is (there are so many I've lost track), but with a WNBC 2003 color scheme. Looks pretty good.

Yeah I'm calling this look Look F 2.0 since it really is major refresh of the original Look F. Looks like it has the same versatility as the original just by looking at how KXAS and KNBC have implemented it so far. I think WCAU and WNBC will be the next two stations to launch this as we approach the Olympics. WCAU refreshed NBC10.com with a new header complete with actual logo this time around. Meanwhile WNBC is already using this look for topicals on air.

Yeah I'm calling this look Look F 2.0 since it really is major refresh of the original Look F. Looks like it has the same versatility as the original just by looking at how KXAS and KNBC have implemented it so far.

KXAS got a custom package, which I've dubbed LookTX.

Saw the open here. They've shortened it to be closer to what WCAU is using (which should be a big hint).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR9lHg64Xho

They took some of the light flares from Look TX and applied it here. While I like that addition to the package, the L3s still look unfinished, the yellow looks tacky (as it does on WMAQ) and the transition between the open to the headliner video with Colleen's voice over looks, well, sad.

I would love to have seen Look F.2 be taken from the new WNBC tease graphics and music.

The main NBC bureau appears to have yet to move from Burbank. During an interview on msnbc it appears that they are going to move soon - the desks look cleaner than normal.

Also I'd never thought I'd say this but there needs a a touch of wood to accent it. As for the monitors displaying the anchor names it is very similar to what occurs during Nightly News prior to going to commercial using the monitors in front to display stock market information.

• 4 weeks later...

For all of their new studios and equipment, KNBC had by far the worst coverage of the earthquake in L.A. today. I never saw a report from the field or phone calls which is what you do. Then they switched to the Today show at 7 am. That's not how you win ratings in L.A. (KCBS also switched to the network at 7 am but at least coverage continued on KCAL 9). Pathetic. KABC ditched Good Morning America for local coverage. That's a local station and why they are almost always #1. KTLA and KTTV also had very good coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

During the Today Show the new LA Bureau debuted with a segment featuring Lisa Bloom. The network bureau is in a building next to the NBC LA/Telemundo building housing the Network, MSNBC and CNBC. The flash cam is basic featuring the interviewee sitting in front of a glass wall in between an vertical aisle of desks all you could see were backs of chairs tucked in since it was 4:00 AM out west. Surprisingly the shot did not have the trademark banner header of NBC News (peacock logo) Los Angeles, the only thing that could show any branding is two monitors in the back currently set with multi viewers showing about 16 pictures in each.

During the Today Show the new LA Bureau debuted with a segment featuring Lisa Bloom. The network bureau is in a building next to the NBC LA/Telemundo building housing the Network, MSNBC and CNBC. The flash cam is basic featuring the interviewee sitting in front of a glass wall in between an vertical aisle of desks all you could see were backs of chairs tucked in since it was 4:00 AM out west. Surprisingly the shot did not have the trademark banner header of NBC News (peacock logo) Los Angeles, the only thing that could show any branding is two monitors in the back currently set with multi viewers showing about 16 pictures in each.

Any pictures?

Here is a link to a picture of the flash cam from the LA bureau and I stand corrected they do have the NBC News Los Angeles banner it must of been out of frame when I first saw it.

Bj7IPCMIcAAD7wP.jpg

Archived