WISE TV "NBC 33" / WOWO "Fort Wayne's Morning News"

justin2kx

Federated Fort Wayne's radio cluster and Granite's duop there have a very, very CLOSE relationship. WOWO's radio newscasts feature WPTA reporters. WPTA provides WOWO's hourly weather forecasts. WPTA made sure to include WOWO radio news anchor Kayla Blakeslee in one of their stories about some outdoor sports show, although it added nothing to the story other than good video and a way to advertise their partnership. As you mentioned the 6AM hour of Fort Wayne's Morning News is simulcast on WISE 33; I think it happened around the same time Granite decided to do separate newscasts on WISE rather than simulcast WPTA (

from the radio station making the announcement that they would be simulcasting on WISE).

Also, Heather Cruise, the midday DJ at sister country station K105, regularly appears on WISE's 4PM news to discuss "The Voice".

So, yeah, their partnership is pretty close.

As for other stations doing something similar to this, only station I can think of is KBMY in the Bismarck market simulcasting KBMR's morning show, but apparently they no longer simulcast it.

When KIRO in Seattle did the whole "News Outside the Box" thing in the early 90's, they formed a partnership with KTZZ-22 (now JoeTV, a MyNet affil, and before that WB); it didn't last long, but there were two things spawned from this: a 10PM newscast, and a simulcast of KIRO Newsradio 710's morning news.

When KIRO in Seattle did the whole "News Outside the Box" thing in the early 90's, they formed a partnership with KTZZ-22 (now JoeTV, a MyNet affil, and before that WB); it didn't last long, but there were two things spawned from this: a 10PM newscast, and a simulcast of KIRO Newsradio 710's morning news.

In fact I just mentioned that in another thread last week. There are about two hours worth (condensed) of one of those radio news programs available on YouTube.

WOWO has been doing for many years what WTVN/610 in Columbus just started doing... entering into a news-sharing agreement with a TV partner for additional content. Of course, WOWO still has something resembling a news department** (while WTVN has WLW reporter Matt Bruening and, until recently, no one else).

The WPTA/WISE duopoly helps as well. Here, both stations can put more investment into WPTA's morning newscast, and WOWO gets additional exposure as a visual invitation for people to tune into 1190/92.3 in their cars while commuting to work. It's a cute gimmick, but one that is a win-win for all parties.

**Note why I say "something resembling a news department."

WOWO has been doing for many years what WTVN/610 in Columbus just started doing... entering into a news-sharing agreement with a TV partner for additional content. Of course, WOWO still has something resembling a news department** (while WTVN has WLW reporter Matt Bruening and, until recently, no one else).

The WPTA/WISE duopoly helps as well. Here, both stations can put more investment into WPTA's morning newscast, and WOWO gets additional exposure as a visual invitation for people to tune into 1190/92.3 in their cars while commuting to work. It's a cute gimmick, but one that is a win-win for all parties.

**Note why I say "something resembling a news department."

Sorry but that guy you linked to is a total ass. Has nothing nice to say about WOWO at all. If that guy is expecting major market quality from the Fort Wayne stations he either needs to lower his standards or move elsewhere...

Federated definitely runs their cluster like a larger market one, hell I think their cluster (including music stations) has way more resources than what Clear Channel generally gives theirs.

They do have an inclination of hiring very young people right out of or still in college. That practice started in 2012 after new cost-cutting management took over. I think for the market size, age of the people they hire, and limited resources they have, I'd consider it a news department.

Sorry but that guy you linked to is a total ass. Has nothing nice to say about WOWO at all. If that guy is expecting major market quality from the Fort Wayne stations he either needs to lower his standards or move elsewhere...

There are still a lot of people in that region who hold WOWO to a very high standard dating back in the days of Westinghouse ownership. It CAN'T be avoided - Federated knows that. Their logo still employs the Group W proprietary font, for heaven's sake. Is it undeserved? Possibly. But WOWO's target audience grew up with the station back in its' heyday decades earlier.

Many people likely still wish that WOWO still had downtown studios with an actual fire escape (the current "World Famous WOWO Fire Escape" is the back stoop of the Maples Road complex). Of course a lot of radio DXers still wish that Inner City Broadcasting hadn't bought the station in 1994 so as to strip it of their powerful 50 kW night signal.

They do have an inclination of hiring very young people right out of or still in college. That practice started in 2012 after new cost-cutting management took over. I think for the market size, age of the people they hire, and limited resources they have, I'd consider it a news department.

It directly goes back to the failed tenure of Gregg Henson as WOWO's PD, in which he deeply offended everyone in the market - liberals and conservatives alike - with his controversial moves. WOWO lost a crapload of ad revenue when clients pulled out in protest, and Federated's top management resigned to save face after Henson was let go.

Thus, Kayla Blakeslee is their news director, and even with her weaknesses, she's still infinitely better than her predecessor.

Hey guys I got a Google Alert about this forum and wanted to chime in. I'm Ryan Wrecker -- current PD for WOWO. Feel free to ask me anything... would be happy to shed some light into our TV deal or anything else you might want to know!

It looks like an interesting partnership and appears to make efficient use of the 16:9 frame. My only complaint is that the hosts should dress a bit better - the woman and the older gentleman (who wore a blue button down sans jacket and tie) were fine to me but the guy in the hoodie made it look less professional.

A similar situation was done here on WBAL-TV+ (which is what they call their digital sub channel) after NBC Weather+ plus stopped airing. Whenever their sister station WBAL-AM was broadcasting live it was broadcast on WBAL+, the only time it wasn't simulcast was when they did Orioles or Ravens game broadcast and on rare occasions they aired their FM station WIYY. It was pretty good as well - each radio studio had about 4-5 PTZ cameras and had decent lower thirds. During over night hours it went back to running the white label version of Weather+. But this lasted for about two years until they got an affiliation agreement with MeTV.

When the Red River Valley was enduring a serious flood threat back in 2009, WDAY/6 Fargo simulcast radio station WDAY/970 and had a live camera in the studio during the station's regular off-air period.

It's actually the opposite situation, but when one of the more serious winter storms struck Cleveland a few weeks ago, WTAM/1100 morning host Bill Wills actually co-anchored storm coverage on WKYC/3 alongside morning anchor John Anderson, from 4a to 7a, and again from 9a to 10a. Even when both stations were co-owned from 1948 until 1972, I can't think of many - if any - instances where a radio-TV simulcast of that nature ever took place.

There have been multiple examples of radio shows that have been simulcast on TV (ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike" being the most successful, having run for years on ESPNews and ESPN2) and WPSG/56 Philadelphia did a video simulcast of KYW/1060 in morning drive for a few years. But the WISE/WOWO simulcast is probably the first regularly scheduled instance where the radio station is clearly the content originator and working symbiotically with the TV station.

It looks like an interesting partnership and appears to make efficient use of the 16:9 frame. My only complaint is that the hosts should dress a bit better - the woman and the older gentleman (who wore a blue button down sans jacket and tie) were fine to me but the guy in the hoodie made it look less professional.

cut them some slack, it's radio and they're only on TV for one hour. You normally don't see them. If they were TV people then yes, I would feel different.

I also take it WISE isn't capable of 16:9 live shots if the program can't be in 16:9. Just goes to show how cheap of a company Granite is. Glad they're selling out...

Hey guys I got a Google Alert about this forum and wanted to chime in. I'm Ryan Wrecker -- current PD for WOWO. Feel free to ask me anything... would be happy to shed some light into our TV deal or anything else you might want to know!

Hi there. Just wanted to compliment your station. For the market size you definitely put out a great product. Much better than the stations here. I listen to your station frequently and it is one of the better ones. I especially enjoy Pat Miller. I definitely could say more but I'll leave it at that. Thank you.

cut them some slack, it's radio and they're only on TV for one hour. You normally don't see them. If they were TV people then yes, I would feel different.

I also take it WISE isn't capable of 16:9 live shots if the program can't be in 16:9. Just goes to show how cheap of a company Granite is. Glad they're selling out....

Your right.

I just remembered an example of when WBAL-AM was actually simulcast on WBAL-TVs main channel. This past January there was a mall shooting that occurred around 11:40 AM, which occurred almost two hours after TVs four hour morning news cast ended. AM was still doing their normal schedule and was fully staffed. When the reports came in AM went into breaking news mode immediately and simultaneously broke into the TV broadcast for about 45 minutes before the anchors were able to get to the station. Once the anchors arrived and TV took over the coverage but at least twice they went back to AM when the AM journalists at the scene got a scoop or a significant interview.

Despite AM and TV sharing a news director TV and AM are two separate divisions. Prior to this shooting TV never played any unedited audio only AM reports as is on the TV - but if AM was set to interview the Governor or a Senator the TV side would do a pre interview and set a camera up in the studio and use the interviewees conversation with out the radio show host. AM and TV journalists generally are separated like church and state but on the rare occasion a TV Journalist may fill in on an AM show.

The meteorologist and sports casters are a different story. TVs meteorologists will appear on AM and their sister FM station WIYY providing periodic updates through out the day. The TV stations Sports director does a simulcast whenever there is a Ravens game and it is carried on AM and FM. TVs weekday sports anchor has an AM/FM show and the weekend sportscaster also has an AM/FM show. A new young AM sportscaster who has his own show is looking like TV is grooming this for a sports job.

After watching the example video... that's a snapshot of the show on an unsual day. It's a fill-in host, and a fill-in sports/traffic person (note the date December 30th - expected vacation day!) That's Michael, our afernoon producer who we use to fill in at times, who posted the clip to show his friends who aren't up at 6AM.

Our regular cast is a 4-person morning show, with host Charly Butcher, news Krista Miller, traffic Kylie Havens and sports Jim Shovlin, so only one shown above is a regular.

Hi there. Just wanted to compliment your station. For the market size you definitely put out a great product. Much better than the stations here. I listen to your station frequently and it is one of the better ones. I especially enjoy Pat Miller. I definitely could say more but I'll leave it at that. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words! WOWO is unlike any other station I've ever worked with. Amazing dynamic and great group of people.

I saw you posting about our TV partnership... we approached this as a radio program FIRST, and a TV show SECOND. We considered how people would use the show and if the viewers would be actively sitting in front of the TV to watch the program or if only a portion of it would be watching and a majority of it would be listening. We found a lot of people had the interest in peeking into the studio, but after a while it was the audio they were consuming while either getting ready for the day or doing something else in the home.

We do use the cameras in the afternoon for live traffic hits with Kayla between 4P-6P. Outside of that we don't do a lot of hits, but have occasionally for promoting special events like Penny Pitch.

The studio has changed a little bit since then to encorporate a sponsor. I would love to post a recent show for everyone to see if you're intersted.

There have been multiple examples of radio shows that have been simulcast on TV (ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike" being the most successful, having run for years on ESPNews and ESPN2) and WPSG/56 Philadelphia did a video simulcast of KYW/1060 in morning drive for a few years. But the WISE/WOWO simulcast is probably the first regularly scheduled instance where the radio station is clearly the content originator and working symbiotically with the TV station.

I have two people I EXTREMELY admire who are using video on a local level to make their show huge.

** First is the person I learned a lot from -- McGraw Milhaven in St. Louis http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Live_McGraw_in_the_Morning

He was the first person I saw strike a partnership using a video component -- it was with the St. Louis Post Dispatch. It has become very popular because of the newspaper website promoting it and driving traffic to it. In fact I sat in on one of his shows to see how they operate -- it's great. We used them as the model to build our show in Fort Wayne.

** The second is Jon Justice in Tuscon. Through a mutal friend he turned me onto what Jon was doing:

The radio station also has TV properties, and they simulcast their show in the morning on their CW affiliate. His show looks like a million bucks on TV... very well done. I've only spoke to him once but good guy to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the kind words! WOWO is unlike any other station I've ever worked with. Amazing dynamic and great group of people.

I saw you posting about our TV partnership... we approached this as a radio program FIRST, and a TV show SECOND. We considered how people would use the show and if the viewers would be actively sitting in front of the TV to watch the program or if only a portion of it would be watching and a majority of it would be listening. We found a lot of people had the interest in peeking into the studio, but after a while it was the audio they were consuming while either getting ready for the day or doing something else in the home.

We do use the cameras in the afternoon for live traffic hits with Kayla between 4P-6P. Outside of that we don't do a lot of hits, but have occasionally for promoting special events like Penny Pitch.

The studio has changed a little bit since then to encorporate a sponsor. I would love to post a recent show for everyone to see if you're intersted.

I'd be interested in seeing it, Ryan. Scott Fybush (a longtime DX fan of the station who even had his bachelor party at WOWO's transmitter site!) did take some pictures of the Maples Road complex a few years back. The one thing that he missed was the back steps which serve as the home of the World Famous WOWO Fire Escape...

WOWO is so laden with history and prestige throughout the decades, and it's great to see that you are striving to maintain that heritage. It would be a dream job for a whole lot of people.

As time progresses, could it be possible to eventually expand the simulcast to 5a-7a (as Charly's show starts at 5a to begin with) or is one hour enough?

would be happy to shed some light into our TV deal

please, I know you can't and don't expect you to go into too much detail, but just in general how did it come about? It seems like a very close one especially for the market size and completely different ownerships. I'm used to seeing these on commonly owned properties but not so much on stations that are separately owned. I do know it's for the whole cluster not just WOWO because like I said in an earlier post Heather Cruise from your sister station K105 regularly appears on WISE to talk about "The Voice" on their 4pm. Just think it'd be interesting to know a little more about it. And if it will extend to WSJV and MNC once Quincy takes over WPTA/WISE (it may be too early to know).

sure, I'd like to take a look at a typical broadcast.

I did have a couple questions more about WOWO in general than the simulcast.

1. I notice on the Pat Miller show, that the news anchor Kayla Blakeslee is never heard from aside from the news cast at the top and bottom of the hour. Here in San Antonio, I listen to the radio sometimes when I'm driving home from work, and I notice that on both the Sean Rima Show (KTSA) and the Joe Pags Show (WOAI), they both have the news anchors chatting with the host, letting everyone know what they did over the weekend/last night and giving their opinions on the topic of the day. Basically it allows the news anchor to establish a personality and let everyone know, "we're human too". But like I said on WOWO's show, all Kayla does is read the news and no interaction with Pat or anything or chiming in during the show. I guess maybe it allows her to stay neutral and credible and I can see that side too. Just an observation.
  2. Does Kylie Havens really go in 5-9AM and then go back in 8-midnight to do K105 and then turn right around and go right back in at 5AM (plus work Sundays 1-7)? I'm strongly convinced the 8-12AM is pre-recorded. If that's really live she's a trooper. Definitely see large market potential there.
  3. Really enjoy your station's YouTube videos. Wish you could make more. It's real nice seeing that everyone there has a personality and gets along with each other. My favorite was the one where Pat Miller dunks Oreo's in water. I go back and watch that one sometimes because it's funny. The Twinkie one was funny too ("you can't save half the company, you gotta save the whole company") though Twinkies will always be disgusting to me.
  4. Now I'm getting carried away... :)

Hopefully I'm not asking too much but as an occasional listener of WOWO I find these intriguing.

Again keep up the great work and don't let jerks like the blog Myron linked to in an earlier post tear you or your team down. He's expecting perfection and people make mistakes. Keep doing what you're doing and making WOWO a great station and one of the best in the country.

I'd be interested in seeing it, Ryan. Scott Fybush (a longtime DX fan of the station who even had his bachelor party at WOWO's transmitter site!) did take some pictures of the Maples Road complex a few years back. The one thing that he missed was the back steps which serve as the home of the World Famous WOWO Fire Escape...

WOWO is so laden with history and prestige throughout the decades, and it's great to see that you are striving to maintain that heritage. It would be a dream job for a whole lot of people.

As time progresses, could it be possible to eventually expand the simulcast to 5a-7a (as Charly's show starts at 5a to begin with) or is one hour enough?

I agree Myron. I like their top of the hour ID, it sounds like they went to the archives and pulled out an old jingle for their call sign ID which I like, it says they are respectful of their past history. (WLS in Chicago has a similar ID but we also get to hear that damned "A Cumulus Station" accompany it).

I wish Inner City never bought them, they destroyed WOWO and I will never forgive them for that...

I do think being owned by a regional group does help them in that respect, because if they were owned by, say Cumulus, Clear Channel or even Townsquare, the whole feel of the station would be very generic. (for whatever reason, almost all of Fort Wayne's radio stations are controlled by local firms, a rarity in the business and it's pretty amazing Ft. Wayne's been able to stave all of the major chains off)

That's kinda why I enjoy listening to WOWO, because they are owned by a small family owned company out of Elkhart and not by Clear Channel (and they are the main reason I despise most of commercial radio). Therefore they can invest more into the product and have a unique feel. And of course I like Pat Miller and his style and he doesn't try to be outspoken or push his opinion on you (like Joe Pags...) Wish he was syndicated...

Oh, and they also don't use the instrumentals from "We Will Rock You" as their traffic background music like my local station KTSA used to until recently (that was so unprofessional)... :D

kinda went off topic but this is all so interesting.

Right now it's not in our immediate plans to expand the show to an early time frame because the NBC affiliate runs Ag programming before us. And with the Today Show right after it's also not likely we expand past 7AM.

BUT we do have some plans in the not so distant future... I'll make sure to post here when it's ready!

A full episode of Fort Wayne's Morning News on WOWO is now uploaded to YouTube, commercials and all!

Keep in mind there might be some copy-written things I don't have true access to post, so the video is unlisted and you can only get to it by clicking the link above. This is for the forum to check out and if you wanted to share with some of your TV or Radio friends you can do that too... but if it gets flagged for some of the content / logos I'll have to take it down.

Take a watch, let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to share any insights.

In the mean time I'll be answering some more questions on here...

Archived