Rumor: Chery Jennings & Spencer Christian out at KGO

A3N

FWIW, Rich Leiberman is reporting that KGO will not be renewing the contracts of Cheryl Jennings and Spencer Christian. Both will leave come December. It's not surprising, given the recent staff changes at KGO, with Leigh Glasser and Carolyn Johnson leaving or about to the leave the station. It does add fuel to the rumor that maybe the station is prepping to be sold in the near future.

Link to the article:

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2014/05/thursday-blast-cheryl-jennings-and.html

Not surprising at all. Cheryl has always been a bit of a redundancy in the anchor department, and it seems like they only kept her around because she's a local staple. The days of keeping talent around because they're a "local staple" are gone. It does mean that if Ama Daetz takes over the 4pm, 6pm and 11pm spots from Carolyn Johnson, they'll need to add another anchor for the 5pm spot or reshuffle the anchor distribution (more likely).

I've always thought Spencer's days were numbered since he cut back his weather duties to host View from the Bay, a show for which cancellation was inevitable. Since then he's been sharing weeknight weather with Sandhya Patel, who probably makes significantly less than Spencer. Shedding Spencer's contract and just going with Sandhya would mean significant payroll savings for ABC.

Changing times over there indeed—I rode by the KGO building at 900 Front the other day and construction for the KRON move-in looks to be progressing rapidly.

Yeah seems kind of odd that KGO would be letting go of key talent to trim the station and prepare it for sale. It's been claimed that WPVI, WLS, and KABC are hiring new talent to make them more attractive for sale. It doesn't make sense one station is being drained while the other is being beefed up, while both are for sale.

My take on this: I don't believe ABC is getting rid of any of their stations, but if they do, WTVD and KFSN (regardless of its role) will be the first two to go.

Back to KGO, I think they'd be smart to promote from within:

5,9,&11: Dan Ashley & Kristen Sze

4&6: Larry Beil & Cheryl Jennings

Mornings & 11am: Eric Thomas & Ama Daetz

Weekend Evenings: Alan Wang & Carolyn Tyler

Weekend Mornings: John Alston & Katie Marzullo

Promote Mike to weekday sports.

I don't doubt that Cheryl and Spencer will leave, however it will be labeled as "retirement" as a save face for the station. The ABC O&O's are not necessarily eliminating positions, they are shedding high priced talent and hiring young cheap one's. Addition by subtraction so to speak. I will say that the ABC O&O's have done a pretty good job in having a nice mix of young and veteran talent. This way, the younger talent will gradually replace the veterans as they move on (either by their choice or not).

From the TV Spy article:

“This is the latest in a long string of inaccurate and venomous ramblings by a local individual on his personal website” KGO said in a statement sent to TVSpy. “His latest post regarding two beloved KGO employees is not true and further demonstrates that he and his so-called ‘sources’ have no actual knowledge of any of our business dealings.”

Well said! Though he did get the Carolyn Johnson story right, so I suppose he's not completely inaccurate all the time.

Archived