Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

WSVN in Miami on the weekends, consistently pre-empts the secondary sports event, i.e. Auto Racing, and frequently bumps it to midnight. They also do this EVEN IF they've opted to air the late NFL game, and in place is BooooRing Infomercials. Even worse, IMO, Miami wants this happening way more frequently then never. I, on the other hand, would like to see some Other station in Miami be the Fox affiliate. I should also mention that if the secondary sports event aired in the late fringe on Weekends, News is on. Any other Fox affiliates do this?

WDIV Detroit often does that with lower-tier sports, and even some primetime shows, which are often bumped to WADL.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WSVN in Miami on the weekends, consistently pre-empts the secondary sports event, i.e. Auto Racing, and frequently bumps it to midnight. They also do this EVEN IF they've opted to air the late NFL game, and in place is BooooRing Infomercials. Even worse, IMO, Miami wants this happening way more frequently then never. I, on the other hand, would like to see some Other station in Miami be the Fox affiliate. I should also mention that if the secondary sports event aired in the late fringe on Weekends, News is on. Any other Fox affiliates do this?

This is especially true. Let me discuss this further. Recently, FOX aired a 2015 US Open special on Jordan Spieth. But instead of airing it at 4:00pm, WSVN 7 aired it at 12:00 Midnight in favor of local news at 4:00 and 4:30pm.

The same can be said for specials before or after an NFL game, in which WSVN will also preempt until Midnight or later for it. Another great example... Today at either 3:00pm before the late NFL Game or at 4:30 or 5:00pm after the early NFL game, FOX will air a FOX College Football: Playoff Preview, an hour-long special. But instead of airing it on those times, WSVN 7 is airing it at 12:00 Midnight after Sports Xtra.

This is nothing new as WSVN 7 has constantly pre-empted networks programs since its NBC days.

Back to Atlanta (again): In the '80s, WAGA also used to preempt primetime programming for syndicated and/or local specials like this one:

Backlash over their airing of a Children's Miracle Network telethon in lieu of Game 1 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals put a permanent stop to that, and the only locally-produced special Fox 5 still does to this day -- as opposed to the who-knows-how-many specials WSB churns out every year -- is the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day commemorative service live from Ebenezer Baptist Church (which at one point was even carried nationally on CBS).

WITI does this often when there is an early Packers game so they can air their local post-game.

WITI does this often when there is an early Packers game so they can air their local post-game.

In a speaking-of-which situation, they're infamous for following up Packers 3:25 home games with a 7:00pm half-hour local postgame which pushes The Simpsons to 11:05pm, which will happen with the Cowboys/Packers next week. Why they do that I have no earthly idea; you really can't wait two hours for your 9pm show to blather about statistics?

• 1 year later...
And "Washington Week"? It does air live Friday nights alright...on GPB's Knowledge subchannel (Sunday mornings on the main channel)!

They do that in Memphis too: Washington Week is pushed to WKNO 10.2. I'm sure other stations delay the show or put it on sister stations or subchannels.

They do that in Memphis too: Washington Week is pushed to WKNO 10.2. I'm sure other stations delay the show or put it on sister stations or subchannels.

Not in Miami... its aired live at 8:00pm on Fridays on WPBT 2 - South Florida PBS

lol on the topic of preemption people are mad that my local nbc station (Fort Myers) are mad that they are preempting the series finale of grimm on 3-31 to air a local special on the teacher golden apple.

lol on the topic of preemption people are mad that my local nbc station (Fort Myers) are mad that they are preempting the series finale of grimm on 3-31 to air a local special on the teacher golden apple.

Screener says Grimm is airing as scheduled on Friday.

1643241082_ComcastFortMyers3_31.png.3c34792d7ee38aa584dc4bb732dd825b.png

The Golden Apple special is on Thursday, preempting a Superstore repeat and a new Powerless.

161279460_ComcastFortMyers3_30.png.4f759d535e8970678dc9cbdc454df8d6.png

BTW, Fort Myers' PBS does air Washington Week "live" Fridays at 8.

WNEO/WEAO airs Nightly Business Report on its .2 subchannel, while delaying PBS NewsHour until 7pm.

KXTV shows Special Edition of their news During sports on weekends but preempts Syndicated programming like Jeopardy, Wheel of fortune and Inside Edition. KTXL shows news at 9PM after the OT or Special events and KOVR shows CBS 13 news headlines before an NFL Game. KMAX preempts CW Programming for SF Giants baseball. sometimes KMAX will show CBS programming if KOVR shows 49ers games from KPIX's feed.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm watching WYTV right now waiting for The Ten Commandments to come on. What do I see? An infomercial for cleft lips. I thought that The Ten Commandments was considered not preemptable.

ABC affiliates get the choice of airing it at 7pm or 8pm; looks like they chose 8pm (but didn't let the EPG providers know that). WISN in Milwaukee starts it at 6pm local time so they can still have late news, while WBAY is choosing a 7pm start and a dark night for their late news (technically; severe weather threat means someone will still be in the weather center tonight).

I'm watching WYTV right now waiting for The Ten Commandments to come on. What do I see? An infomercial for cleft lips. I thought that The Ten Commandments was considered not preemptable.

ABC affiliates get the choice of airing it at 7pm or 8pm; looks like they chose 8pm (but didn't let the EPG providers know that). WISN in Milwaukee starts it at 6pm local time so they can still have late news, while WBAY is choosing a 7pm start and a dark night for their late news (technically; severe weather threat means someone will still be in the weather center tonight).

The 8pm feed is suppose to cater to the affiliates in the Central time zone that normally air the Saturday news at 6pm and don't air an earlier broadcast like at 5pm.

Since WABC is airing that auto show special, they're airing the movie at 8pm, in lieu of most stations in the east that's airing at 7pm. So it's half-hour late news will be aired at 12:45am. And I find this an oddity of sorts. KABC airs the movie at 7pm, but when the movie is over at 11:45pm (and I've seen them do this two previous years) the station airs an abbreviated 15 minute newscast (reading a few headlines & a weather forecast, no sports hit) so it'll end at midnight straight up. WLS will be doing its hourly show regardless of the late start time at 10:45pm.

I assume your station @YTownNewsGuy, won't be airing any late news tonight.

Lottery Ball5 aka WEWS started it at 8pm.

Both WATN and WKRN opted to air The Ten Commandments at 6pm tonight, and yet WATN doesn't do a 5:00 news on Saturdays (they only do a 6pm and 10pm news).

WFTV started airing the Ten Commandments at 7

In Oklahoma, as long as I can remember, KTUL has aired it at 7:00p, with no news at 11:45p. KSWO in Lawton also aired at 7, but with a half-hour news at 11:45p.

Meanwhile in the capital, looks like KOCO aired it an hour earlier, with a normal half-hour newscast at 10:45p.

how long until ABC pulls the plug on the annual easter weekend broadcast of the ten commandments? I seriously doubt it brings in very good ratings

It seems to average 6-7 million viewers in recent years, generally beating the competition, but dipped last year against March Madness. That many viewers on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend is not something they're not about to toss without thorough consideration.

WFTV started airing the Ten Commandments at 7

KBEX will air the Ten Commandments beginning at 7:49 pm.

Our Master Control operator "Emm-Sea Mavis" called in sick...so we will only air 7 of the 10 commandments...and at KBEX we say...

"Seven out of Ten ain't bad."

Happy Easter my Lil Huevos

It seems to average 6-7 million viewers in recent years, generally beating the competition, but dipped last year against March Madness. That many viewers on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend is not something theyre not about to toss without thorough consideration.

how does it do with the key demos (18-34, 18-49, etc)?

• 7 months later...

Back in the old Group-W days KDKA-TV had frequent preemptions. Throughout the 70s and 80s until 1991 channel 2 preempted the daytime soap As The World Turns. Pittsburgh2Day aired at 2 during the 80s. Capitol aired at 1:30 instead of 2:30. During P2D's final year they moved up to 1:30 with Bold & the Beautiful at 2:30.

For two years, I think 1993-95 KDKA had local news until 7:30 am with a 90-minute Disney cartoon block (Disney KD Toon Time). This aired instead of CBS This Morning. In the late 80s/early 90s Three's Company reruns aired instead of Family Feud at 10 am. During the 80s Barney Miller repeats were at 11:30 pm, later on Inside Edition aired in that slot. Inside Edition pushed Letterman back to 12:05 for about a year or so.

During baseball season Pirates games would frequently air in prime time. As a child I couldn't tel you how many specials I missed out on because of baseball. For a few years in the early 90s KD also aired prime time Penguins hockey games. KDKA would also have frequent specials in prime time, often 'For Kids' Sake.

Archived