Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

KMOV also pushes The Young and the Restless back to 4 pm.

KMOV was a bit pre-emption happy in their Viacom days. I remember David Letterman doing a skit out of KMOV finally running his show in its intended 10:35 slot, and they were one of the last (if not the last) CBS affiliate to pre-empt Tom Snyder completely. He only came aboard after Belo bought the station. And The Late Late Show has aired in the 12:07 slot ever since.

KENS used to delay The Late Late Show to 12:07 (airing a repeat of Friends at 11:35) until about five or six years ago.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KENS used to delay The Late Late Show to 12:07 (airing a repeat of Friends at 11:35) until about five or six years ago.

WFSB in Hartford still delays The Late Late Show to 1:05 am for an Entertainment Tonight repeat.

I was reading about the effects of network programming and saw that still KOVR (CBS)airs primetime from. 7-10pm while KCRA (NBC) airs it at the regular time 8-11pm.

Is there any specific reason for their continuing to broadcast an hour earlier than the rest of the west coast? Even though your cleared the schedule as packaged - you did so at a different time so you could broadcast a 10 PM newscast it's still a preemption.

A few odd ones I know.

KMOV preempts a few shows. They have aired the Price is Right at 11 AM when most stations in the Central time zone air it at 10AM. They also preempt the Late Late Show. They air Inside Edition at 11:37PM and air the Late Late Show at 12:07AM.

I was in Pittsburgh last week and noticed that WPXI preempts the fourth hour of the Today Show. They don't air that piece until 1 PM. In my opinion, that seems really out of place.

Wasn't KMOV delaying TPIR by a day at one point? KSHB also airs the fourth hour of The Today Show in the early afternoon

WFSB in Hartford still delays The Late Late Show to 1:05 am for an Entertainment Tonight repeat.

KPHO in Phoenix bumped TLLS 30 minutes for a replay of their newscast that aired 90 minutes earlier. When I e-mailed the station back then, the program director (still at the station, and might be in charge of THREE stations soon) was pretty defensive on why they did that. Eventually, they moved the show right after Letterman at the end of '09/beginning of '10, with the newscast replay following TLLS.

To be fair, KPNX delayed "Late Night" 30 minutes for several years for various shows until the early 2000's. The delay is not completely gone, since they still delay "Late Night" 30 minutes on Fridays during high school football season.

Also, KCRA dumps the 4th hour of Today into an appropriate timeslot: 2:05 AM, after Carson Daly.

Actually, affiliates are supposed to re-air it at that time, and most do. Sounds like KCRA just has dumped the original airing altogether.

KOTV airs CBS This Morning an hour later from 8-10. The station also bumps Late Late to 12:05a in favor of Extra (and previously Inside Edition, now at KTUL). Ch. 6's Noon news (which expanded to an hour in the 90's) bumps Bold and the Beautiful all the way to after Craig (1:05a). The show aired on KQCW at 12:30p from 2006-2007.

As long as I can remember, KTUL has always pushed ABC late night back an hour for sitcom repeats. In fact, KTUL didn't even air Kimmel at first, KQCW (then KWBT) aired Kimmel's first few seasons until Griffin bought the station in 2005, when ch. 8 finally started airing it.

KJRH breaks up Today into three chunks. The first 2 hours air live, the 3rd hour airs at 10:00a after Live! and the 4th airs at 1:00p after Days.

KOTV airs CBS This Morning an hour later from 8-10. The station also bumps Late Late to 12:05a in favor of Extra (and previously Inside Edition, now at KTUL). Ch. 6's Noon news (which expanded to an hour in the 90's) bumps Bold and the Beautiful all the way to after Craig (1:05a). The show aired on KQCW at 12:30p from 2006-2007.

As long as I can remember, KTUL has always pushed ABC late night back an hour for sitcom repeats. In fact, KTUL didn't even air Kimmel at first, KQCW (then KWBT) aired Kimmel's first few seasons until Griffin bought the station in 2005, when ch. 8 finally started airing it.

KJRH breaks up Today into three chunks. The first 2 hours air live, the 3rd hour airs at 10:00a after Live! and the 4th airs at 1:00p after Days.

KOTV's Griffin sister station KWTV in OKC airs CBS This Morning "live" from 7 to 9, B&B "live" at 12:30 and Late Late Show "live" at 11:35. In fact, all of the network daytime and late night shows air at their intended times in OKC.

Do they seriously edit out the promos? Once again I seriously can't get over the fact they didn't preempt Rosemary's Baby over morals. I guess they can teach about the evils of the devil but can't teach acceptance to gays on The New Normal and that there is no solution to violence on Hannibal. That was a cheap shot and am sorry about it.

NBC does own two low power Telemundo affiliates covering Salt Lake City KEJT-LP and KLUX-CD maybe one day they could be bumped up to full power and threaten to move the affiliation to one of the two. You remember how they pressured WHDH to carry The Jay Leno Show right? They pressured them by saying that it would be a major violation of their network affiliation agreement and said if they didn't carry the show they'd move it to a channel that they already own in market: WNEU which is owned by NBCUni and carries Telemundo programming but isn't operated by them. Wishful thinking most likely, it's one thing if it was a top 10 market but being DMA 33 is a different thing.

Yep. I don't know if it's done just to avoid viewer confusion or, if it's required, though.

Really NBC's only option would be KUCW. And, that is a little bit of a stretch. The largest impediment being a lack of news. But, Nexstar could expand the newsroom and solve that problem. As much as I'm sure they hate the preemptions I doubt they would want to move to a couple low power stations or, build a station from the ground up. The trade off would significantly downgrade NBC within the SLC market. That's why they pretty much grit their teeth and put up with the preemptions. They really have a lack of options. Sticking with KSL has always been the "best" option when weighed against the alternatives.

I was reading about the effects of network programming and saw that still KOVR (CBS)airs primetime from. 7-10pm while KCRA (NBC) airs it at the regular time 8-11pm.

Is there any specific reason for their continuing to broadcast an hour earlier than the rest of the west coast? Even though your cleared the schedule as packaged - you did so at a different time so you could broadcast a 10 PM newscast it's still a preemption.

Raymie & I touched on this in the last page of discussion. KOVR has had great success with it. As Raymie pointed out KCRA was first to due "early prime" and had great success. NBC forced KCRA (& KRON) to dump "early prime" or lose their affiliation. KOVR has had the same success with "early prime" that KCRA was experiencing before they were forced to dump it. KOVR's 10pm news usually tops KTXL and frequently ranks as the highest late-night newscast. For some reason "early prime" caught on in Sacramento, more so than in San Francisco. Unlike NBC, CBS saw the success it brought KOVR and allowed them to continue...even after acquiring the station in 2005.

but since it's a Friday on a holiday weekend no one will notice, at least that's what they figure

Sister station WSB (back to them again) is doing the same with two Clark Howard consumer specials, bumping Shark Tank to the usual 2:05 am.

In Greensboro, WFMY airs CBS This Morning on a one-hour delay from 8-10, followed by Let's Make A Deal and Price Is Right "live".

Really NBC's only option would be KUCW. And, that is a little bit of a stretch. The largest impediment being a lack of news. But, Nexstar could expand the newsroom and solve that problem. As much as I'm sure they hate the preemptions I doubt they would want to move to a couple low power stations or, build a station from the ground up. The trade off would significantly downgrade NBC within the SLC market. That's why they pretty much grit their teeth and put up with the preemptions. They really have a lack of options. Sticking with KSL has always been the "best" option when weighed against the alternatives.

The same is true in Boston with WHDH. If WHDH were to dump NBC (or vice versa), NBC's only option would be to buy WMFP. They could simulcast newscasts from co-owned NECN, but it would be a significant downgrade for NBC in a Top 10 market. As in Salt Lake, they really have a lack of options. Sticking with WHDH has always been the "best" option.

The same is true in Boston with WHDH. If WHDH were to dump NBC (or vice versa), NBC's only option would be to buy WMFP. They could simulcast newscasts from co-owned NECN, but it would be a significant downgrade for NBC in a Top 10 market. As in Salt Lake, they really have a lack of options. Sticking with WHDH has always been the "best" option.

NBC does own WNEU - the Telemundo affiliate (Licensed to Merrimack, NH) that is operated as a full power satellite of ZGS communications WTMU-LP, which is why they were taken seriously in there threat to strip the affiliation. Although the signal only covers half of Boston proper, cable and satellite carries it through out the entire DMA.

Raymie & I touched on this in the last page of discussion. KOVR has had great success with it. As Raymie pointed out KCRA was first to due "early prime" and had great success. NBC forced KCRA (& KRON) to dump "early prime" or lose their affiliation. KOVR has had the same success with "early prime" that KCRA was experiencing before they were forced to dump it. KOVR's 10pm news usually tops KTXL and frequently ranks as the highest late-night newscast. For some reason "early prime" caught on in Sacramento, more so than in San Francisco. Unlike NBC, CBS saw the success it brought KOVR and allowed them to continue...even after acquiring the station in 2005.

My hypothesis as to one of the reasons why they allowed the early prime to continue in Sacramento is because it appears that the signal does not "bleed" outside the market due to it being in the bottom of the Sacramento Valley where it could possibly be picked up by people who would receive the programming by another station. Look at the coverage map: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1484131&map=Y

Updated the link to include the terrain contour maps that mvcg66b3r posted. Thanks.

My hypothesis as to one of the reasons why they allowed the early prime to continue in Sacramento is because it appears that the signal does not "bleed" outside the market due to it being in the bottom of the Sacramento Valley where it could possibly be picked up by people who would receive the programming by another station. Look at the coverage map: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1484131&map=Y

I corrected your link.

Yeah, WHDH could be run as an independent, but I can't imagine them canceling their affiliation with NBC. Remember that Ed Asnin basically forced NBC to run WTVJ as a CBS affiliate for the duration of WSVN's affiliation contract with NBC, which was for well over 15 months.

If NBC really wants an O&O in Boston, their best bet would be to wait until Ed Asnin finally passes away, then they can take a shot at getting WHDH.

I just got reminded. WOAI doesn't air the third hour of Today until 11 AM so they can air Rachael Ray at 9AM and San Antonio Living at 10AM. Which means, the 4th hour of Today is not seen until noon. WOAI hasn't had a noon newscast for many years but did at one point in time.

but since it's a Friday on a holiday weekend no one will notice, at least that's what they figure

More like right as I'm typing, while the rest of the country is "catching up" on The Bachelorette and Modern Family.

My take -

1) Repeats - don't care.

2) Reality show - definitely don't care.

• 5 months later...
KPLR/KWGN:

Both run a "late prime" schedule. They both air a newscast at 7pm CT/MT. So, the CW prime time programming airs out of pattern running a one hour delay.

WNOL New Orleans also runs a "late prime" schedule, but it doesn't air news at 7pm.

Crackpot idea: Buy WBIN's stick and also buy the moribund WWDP as a southern satellite. WBIN has market-wide cable coverage from the MyTV experiment. Telemundo could go on the .2 of both and WBIN's programming could move to the WNEU stick.

Crackpot idea: Buy WBIN's stick and also buy the moribund WWDP as a southern satellite. WBIN has market-wide cable coverage from the MyTV experiment. Telemundo could go on the .2 of both and WBIN's programming could move to the WNEU stick.

I don't think Bill Binnie would do such thing. He has really turned the focus of the station's ADI to be within the borders of NH, just look at NH1 and drinking game of how many times the news talent can say "New Hampshire" in full in a single wheel.

I don't think Bill Binnie would do such thing. He has really turned the focus of the station's ADI to be within the borders of NH, just look at NH1 and drinking game of how many times the news talent can say "New Hampshire" in full in a single wheel.

Downgrading to the more NH-centric 60 signal could bring in some good money to fuel his delusions of grandeur. Who needs all that cable coverage inside Massachusetts anyway?

Everyone wins: NBC gets their O&O, Binnie stays on a just as relevant signal, and Sunbeam has a clean slate for when they inevitably sell when Ed dies to fuel even more philanthropic ventures. Also, it'd end the painful must carry hilarity in Chesire/Windham counties of Telemundo being on basic with Univision on a special tier,

Archived