Sinclair Rolls Out New Graphics In Columbus

PupReporter

Here's something interesting.....

I caught the last half hour of WEAR's 10pm news (since they do an hour) and pretty much the ENTIRE show was on the chroma key wall, using a fake set, a full-screen version of their duratrans, and full-screen graphics of the old-style graphics they've had for sports.

They were one of their first Sinclair stations to go HD back in 2008 around the same time as WSYX, WBFF and WLOS, and they got a first-generation HD set from Devlin.

Have any of the other stations that have upgraded their graphics done this to refresh the set in advance of the new graphics? I doubt WEAR is getting a new set, especially since WSYX and WBFF still have theirs. Also doubtful is consolidation with WPMI. Pensacola may as well be on another planet compared with Mobile, giving their quad-ropoly a solid reason to exist.

EDIT: I just checked their facebook page, and apparently, this setup was necessitated by a "lighting malfunction"

10497887_10152546098089347_7109313753332248500_o.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is how will Sinclair be able to make the graphics look different on two "separate" news operations (ie WOAI/KABB, WEAR/WPMI, etc). They could variate the colors depending on the station (WEAR/WPMI) or Sinclair might just consolidate WOAI/KABB for that reason alone.

Scrolling down their facebook page, WFGX's 9pm show was done on the main set, with a wide array of any light they could scrounge up! Severe weather could have played a factor, since Meteorologist Christian Garman said that the station took a lightning strike earlier in the day. But it appears to be an issue with the studio lights.

So as for the new graphics, sorry to get anyone's hopes up, although WEAR seems like one of the logical next steps to get them....

My question is how will Sinclair be able to make the graphics look different on two "separate" news operations (ie WOAI/KABB, WEAR/WPMI, etc). They could variate the colors depending on the station (WEAR/WPMI) or Sinclair might just consolidate WOAI/KABB for that reason alone.

Maybe they have a second package in the works. WPMI's graphics are three years old and seem like they can last three of four more years. WOAI is overdue for new graphics however since they murdered the original package and it looks almost nothing like it did in 2009.

Since you brought it up WOAI and KABB are supposed to be consolidating but I don't know what the holdup is...

Supposedly, KABB/WOAI will be operating out of the same newsroom by the end of the year. They still have to build WOAI's set at KABB's building (which I'm guessing will be the latest Sinclair version from Devlin). I'd bet they just use the same package with different logos.

I thought the whole consolidation deal between the two stations (KABB and WOAI) was just to move them into the same building while keeping seperate brands.

They are still keeping separate brands. It's easy at night because KABB only has a 9pm newscast. I think it'll be more interesting to see how the avoid both morning shows looking so visually similar when they're on at the same time.

Supposedly, KABB/WOAI will be operating out of the same newsroom by the end of the year. They still have to build WOAI's set at KABB's building (which I'm guessing will be the latest Sinclair version from Devlin). I'd bet they just use the same package with different logos.

From what I understand, they have to build a new newsroom to accomodate the expanded staff. KABB's current newsroom is tiny compared to WOAI's (I've been to both stations). KABB is supposed to move the sales, HR, management and business departments t.o an office building behind the station and then renovate the newly opened space into a new newsroom. I guess that does take time.

They are still keeping separate brands. It's easy at night because KABB only has a 9pm newscast. I think it'll be more interesting to see how the avoid both morning shows looking so visually similar when they're on at the same time.

Simple: they continue doing exactly what they're doing now. The content continues to be slightly different from each other. KABB has a different audience from WOAI and I think they understand that. As for graphics and set that's anybody's guess. They have to get new graphics because WOAI's production equipment is completely different from what SBG is standardized on.

Just because WOAI and KABB are in two separate locations that are about 15-20 min apart, employees from the two literally drive to the other to present their story in the studio. The rundowns of the newscasts are pretty similar, with the same video being run on both newscasts. But if KABB runs a PKG on a story, WOAI will run the same story as a VO to avoid duplication of the same story. The wording will also be different because the producer rewrites the story.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, they have to build a new newsroom to accomodate the expanded staff. KABB's current newsroom is tiny compared to WOAI's (I've been to both stations). KABB is supposed to move the sales, HR, management and business departments t.o an office building behind the station and then renovate the newly opened space into a new newsroom. I guess that does take time.

Simple: they continue doing exactly what they're doing now. The content continues to be slightly different from each other. KABB has a different audience from WOAI and I think they understand that. As for graphics and set that's anybody's guess. They have to get new graphics because WOAI's production equipment is completely different from what SBG is standardized on.

Just because WOAI and KABB are in two separate locations that are about 15-20 min apart, employees from the two literally drive to the other to present their story in the studio. The rundowns of the newscasts are pretty similar, with the same video being run on both newscasts. But if KABB runs a PKG on a story, WOAI will run the same story as a VO to avoid duplication of the same story. The wording will also be different because the producer rewrites the story.

So are the FOX 29 people moving into WOAI 4 NBC affiliate downtown location?

It's Stephen Arnold Music. https://vimeo.com/96923173

Wow. It doesn't sound like Arnold's other recent work. There are certain elements that are absent when you compare it to packages like "Evolution," "The Rock" or even "Aerial" or "This is the Place" (and even those sound a little different from the packages that came before them).

Question. Are all the Sinclair stations getting this new graphics package? I bet the Allbritton stations will be molded in within the first 9 months.

Probably.

Although I'll be honest, it looks fine for stations like WSYX and KOKH. But it's going to look very very cheap for a station like WJLA.

Wow. It doesn't sound like Arnold's other recent work. There are certain elements that are absent when you compare it to packages like "Evolution," "The Rock" or even "Aerial" or "This is the Place" (and even those sound a little different from the packages that came before them).

It doesn't sound like most of their other recent local news work, but it does sound a fair bit like

(though it might be more the underlying arrangement and not the instruments). And, if we're counting 360 Music, it sounds kind of like the 360 package.

So are the FOX 29 people moving into WOAI 4 NBC affiliate downtown location?

No, supposed to be WOAI moving to KABB. Was originally KABB moving into WOAI but those plans were reversed after the fire. I'll probably send my buddy who works at Sinclair a message and see if they have an update.

Also looking at that Vimeo link, wow, Sinclair actually OUTSOURCED the graphics. The previous looks were all done by corporate gfx designers in Hunt Valley. Maybe they realized now that they own in excess of 160 stations, it might be a good idea to outsource the new look. No wonder it looks decent and the animations are good. And wow, I'm digging the morning theme. Good job Sinclair.

[yt]FKvo8q06DTA[/yt]

WJLA may get something special from the rest. I can't see Sinclair treating WJLA the same as all the others. In fact, right now although Sinclair might revolve around WBFF I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to revolve around WJLA soon.

As an aside the copyright on 'JLA's site hasn't been changed yet.

Probably.

Although I'll be honest, it looks fine for stations like WSYX and KOKH. But it's going to look very very cheap for a station like WJLA.

KEYE is supposed to get them in early '15 from what I know, though not specified exactly when. Not entirely sure why we're getting them so late, but it's a good reminder given how slow this roll-out appears to be.

KEYE is supposed to get them in early '15 from what I know, though not specified exactly when. Not entirely sure why we're getting them so late, but it's a good reminder given how slow this roll-out appears to be.

Do they plan on overhauling the set first? KEYE has been on the same news set for some time with a few updates along the way.

Archived