Sinclair Rolls Out New Graphics In Columbus

PupReporter

WSYX rolled out their new graphics today. This is a big step breaking away from the standard Sinclair graphics.

This comes at perfect timing for this station. Historically since the eighties they have been number three in the ratings.

In the May book they took number two replacing WCMH. Sinclair is poring loads of cash into this station. They have 29, yes 29, liveu backpacks, 27 reporters/anchors, and just leased a helicopter for the first time.

Two years ago they weren't even taken seriously in the local market.

2ujp3cg.jpg

1ilr9g.jpg

279421737_image(1).thumb.jpeg.5ed4203794d6708e7c1d38233c62d777.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5fdbabbd667fd325da23c9a7c998a66.jpeg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WSYX rolled out their new graphics today. This is a big step breaking away from the standard Sinclair graphics.

This comes at perfect timing for this station. Historically since the eighties they have been number three in the ratings.

In the May book they took number two replacing WCMH. Sinclair is poring loads of cash into this station. They have 29, yes 29, liveu backpacks, 27 reporters/anchors, and just leased a helicopter for the first time.

Two years ago they weren't even taken seriously in the local market.

image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

If they went across the screen and were a little bigger they would almost look like a cousin of what WLS has now. Lots of junk cluttering the left side of the L3's though.

Those are very nice graphics. I absolutely love the L3s. The old Sinclair L3s were dated and bloated.

One small nitpick — WSYX is still using the 2007 ABC logo treatment.

I also love what this says about Sinclair. They are willing to invest in their stations at long last, even after spending billions on acquiring them. That said, some of their stations present much larger projects (particularly the old Barrington with its needed HD conversions).

Those graphics look much nicer and cleaner than the old graphics. However, Sinclair will put these graphics on almost every station they own. Exceptions will more than likely be KOMO, and possibly KATU.

The new L3s looks really good but honestly I think it's because of the DIN fonts. If it was Helvetica or another font it wouldn't be receiving this much praise than it would with the current DIN fonts. However, it works still.

Actually, I think this look would suit KOMO pretty good with some touchups; something about it (the font maybe?) actually has that sort of ABC News feel to it.

But gasp, we're actually praising Sinclair?

I know right? Did we step into an alternate dimension? I can't believe I'm actually praising Sinclair for something but then again I'm not used to Sinclair not half-assing something for once. These look very nice and look forward to watching them be slowly implemented across the entire station group.

Don't forget, Sinclair streams their newscasts so we can see these graphics in action online tonight.

The new L3s looks really good but honestly I think it's because of the DIN fonts. If it was Helvetica or another font it wouldn't be receiving this much praise than it would with the current DIN fonts. However, it works still.

I think it's that as well as the dark blue they use for the background. The bright orange and grey they used for their old package made it look dated and cheap even when it was first introduced.

I'm sorry, but this look is garbage. We're getting tricked by how good the fonts are and how bad the previous look was. It had more character than this. I just saw WTTE's open and it looks pretty awful - just a logo animation composited on top of a background. The way the logo is displayed in the lower third is worse - boxed logos look off when in a box. The theme sounds like generic stock music.

It just doesn't work for me. I like that it's more minimalistic and relies more on bold colors, but there's a difference between looking minimal and looking cheap. I will defend the current Gannett graphics until the day I die, but I'm not a fan of these new Sinclair graphics by any means. They're just as cheap as the old ones.

Compared to some of the other groups' recent efforts (namely LIN and WIAT/KOIN and Media General with the WVTM/WKRG look), this looks pretty good and blows the previous look out of the water. I'm watching WTTE's livestream now and it is using the same look as WSYX. I'm looking forward to seeing a companion package (if there is one) for the markets with more than one operation....

WSYX/WTTE is really turning into their crown jewel and is showing promise that investing in a product can really bring something out of the basement, as it has in the recent may book by eking a victory over WCMH.

While they still have a long way to go with many more stations, it's starting to break the stigma that Sinclair can't succeed on their own volition and has merely bought their way into success through acquisitions.

I'm sorry, but this look is garbage. We're getting tricked by how good the fonts are and how bad the previous look was. It had more character than this. I just saw WTTE's open and it looks pretty awful - just a logo animation composited on top of a background. The way the logo is displayed in the lower third is worse - boxed logos look off when in a box. The theme sounds like generic stock music.

It just doesn't work for me. I like that it's more minimalistic and relies more on bold colors, but there's a difference between looking minimal and looking cheap. I will defend the current Gannett graphics until the day I die, but I'm not a fan of these new Sinclair graphics by any means. They're just as cheap as the old ones.

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I don't like that the time bug is white with black font and the temperature bug is vise-versa. It just doesn't work. And to only add to the awfulness, they put the Live bug right next to the time/temp bug. And then the "New at 5" Banner right next to it with a boxed in logo on the bottom. All in different colors. It looks like a complete mess and doesn't work for me. Also, the breaking news bumper is way too oversized. Even WABC's isn't as big as that, and they're the king of oversized graphics. And since I don't watch, is there even any animation? If there isn't, I could just make these in powerpoint really quickly without even trying. But yes, very cheap graphics.

I wanted to watch them in action before I comment on them.

My snap reaction is that Sinclair did simple pretty well.My only complain is how high the L3 is in the package. They have been hinting at the scheme for last year and it works for them.

This actually completes a graphic cycle in town. WCMH changed their twice in the last 3 years, WBNS last year and WSYX/WTTE today.

All Sinclair did was follow a graphic trend of simple clear graphic with some flash and they did it well.

I wanted to watch them in action before I comment on them.

My snap reaction is that Sinclair did simple pretty well.My only complain is how high the L3 is in the package. They have been hinting at the scheme for last year and it works for them.

This actually completes a graphic cycle in town. WCMH changed their twice in the last 3 years, WBNS last year and WSYX/WTTE today.

All Sinclair did was follow a graphic trend of simple clear graphic with some flash and they did it well.

I got to watch a little bit of it in action too. My main gripe is how cheap and basic the animations looked.

Compared to the old graphics.....the new ones are way better.....

The question is if these graphics will be better than the ones they replace on their non-legacy stations....

In motion, they ultimately feel a little small market. I mean, as in that "small market trying to mimic a big market" way. Thenagain, maybe their graphics hardware is old and was only good enough to run Sinclair's crappy old look?

If they throw stuff like this into Vizrt or something, I could Old WBZ/CBC-like transitions going on with these.

Archived