Sinclair Rolls Out New Graphics In Columbus

PupReporter

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's noticing the bug.

Yeah but even then the only thing that looks similar is that it's a square. Scripps bugs aren't in boxes... that's the social media box where it flies by. And even then this isn't a perfect box cause of the time/temp thing. Best I can figure is the size, box location and bi-colored L3's are whats really similar.

Okay, so we know they're serious now. WSYX is getting a new website. Their site is down with a message, "stay tuned. An all new abc6onyourside.com is coming."

According to social media, the site will be live later today.

Okay, so we know they're serious now. WSYX is getting a new website. Their site is down with a message, "stay tuned. An all new abc6onyourside.com is coming."

According to social media, the site will be live later today.

It's probably going to be the KABB template if the social media icons on the splash screen are any indication.

BTW, it's 2014. Why do they have to take the entire site down to upgrade it when all of the other station groups don't?

If you have some time to kill, Clear Channel uses the same logo design for about 20-30 stations per design. No creativity whatsoever. The Walmart of radio companies.

As for these graphics, the open sucks. The L3's are great. I am saying this as someone who lives in a Sinclair market not a top 10 one, meaning my graphical standards aren't the highest.

It makes sense when you're converting a bunch of UPN/WB affiliates into MyNetworkTV stations that share a similar look to all of them, but not for network affiliated stations.

I thought the same thing years back when I saw KOVR and WGME's logos side-by-side....virtually identical other than color. Now I realize that it was a River City thing and not Sinclair when they picked up both stations and can see it in WSYX and WLOS's logos from that time period as well.

But I do have to say that their latest logo redesigns are pretty tacky and dated, especially WNWO, WXLV and perhaps WKEF/WRGT and WLOS. WLOS's logo is virtually identical style-wise to WSYX's other than the font choice for the number itself.

At least the variety Sinclair has amongst themselves is with their logos. They have their unique logos like WEAR amongst other non-descript ones like KABB and WCHS.

Since every station group is trying to move towards responsive design with their websites, this should be used for all of Sinclair's stations instead of having three different web designs (and the WorldNow site KOKH has). With that said, I don't hate the KABB/WSYX design, and at least they are streaming the news on their websites rather than just on the mobile versions, which was kinda stupid to begin with.

Speaking of KOKH:

3954176_G.jpg

this was found on their site. Could they be they next to get the new Sinclair graphics? The radar image seems to have been updated to the new Sinclair look too.

EDIT: Apparently they have an online webcast called "Fox at Five" (watch here) which utilizes the new Sinclair graphics. I have no idea if they're using these on the main newscasts though.

Speaking of KOKH:

3954176_G.jpg

this was found on their site. Could they be they next to get the new Sinclair graphics? The radar image seems to have been updated to the new Sinclair look too.

EDIT: Apparently they have an online webcast called "Fox at Five" (watch here) which utilizes the new Sinclair graphics. I have no idea if they're using these on the main newscasts though.

Didn't tmanokc said that KOKH got the graphics last Thursday?

Speaking of KOKH:

3954176_G.jpg

Looks like they got these graphics the day after WSYX did (Thursday). It also looks like they're being used for their regular newscasts as well as the webcast.

This is quite a surprise, considering that KOKH didn't even have HD newscasts until last year. It's an even bigger surprise that WBFF still doesn't have these yet.

They've gone through their fair share of helicopters recently. This was the 1994 helicopter:

Chopper4.jpg

This was their most recently helicopter before their newly acquired one:

Nbc4chopper.jpg

Still waiting on one of the new one. They haven't posted on online yet.

225909_1040388288310_4694_n.jpg

How about this SKY 6 from circa late 80s-early 90s....

Did they really have a chopper? My understanding was that they rented a chopper and put the graphics on just to film a bunch of commercials and the news open. Then they peeled the graphics off, and it was back to no chopper.

Did they really have a chopper? My understanding was that they rented a chopper and put the graphics on just to film a bunch of commercials and the news open. Then they peeled the graphics off, and it was back to no chopper.

Yeah they had a chopper until 1992 when River City bought them and then it disappeared for about 21 years until about July of last year.

Yeah they had a chopper until 1992 when River City bought them and then it disappeared for about 21 years until about July of last year.

I don't know if they rented it, or if it as license out through another party, but remember when they had the chopper, and it was around 1992 when River City brought the station it faded away into the dark abyss.

• 2 weeks later...

KDNL has the new graphics.

The reason for that is that WSYX produces the weather cut-in's during Good Morning America.

Still, it's pretty funny that a station with no news department has these graphics before stations like WBFF.

The new graphics are, in this Sinclair employee's opinion, MUCH better than the previous set. It's really not close. HOWEVER, it's still a little wonky.

Example: WZTV has the weird positioning on the L3's when the locator or headline graphic portion is not on screen. WSYX does not have that issue because of the hashtag graphic.

wztv.jpg.97f4885d08c71f351dd78c229ad6f15c.jpg

wsyx.jpg.abe32c4b412068066ecfc711cce5d32e.jpg

Archived