WMUR New Graphics

aleckrohto

I for one would like to know how they got away with this. From what I understood, all Hearst stations were supposed to get the standardized graphics with little to no variation from station to station.

I for one would like to know how they got away with this. From what I understood, all Hearst stations were supposed to get the standardized graphics with little to no variation from station to station.

Because Hearst has always known that WCVB and WMUR need to look and sound different from each other while still being related. WMUR's news music history is a testament to that.

It has something to do with coverage overlap with WCVB. Hearst thinks some viewers would be confused by similar packaging...which is probably true.

It has something to do with coverage overlap with WCVB. Hearst thinks some viewers would be confused by similar packaging...which is probably true.

How could they be confused? They're too different channel numbers with two different brandings: one explicitly mentioning Boston, the other New Hampshire.

Because Hearst has always known that WCVB and WMUR need to look and sound different from each other while still being related. WMUR's news music history is a testament to that.

I've already mentioned this, there is overlap between WMTW & WMUR and WNNE/WPTZ & WMUR in the respective areas of NH.

WMUR was always in this position (well at least for a decade.) to not be totally standard in the looks. And WMUR mgmt treats the southern area like its non existant (unless its crime related). They better serve the mountains or the stereotypical small-country areas of NH.

How could they be confused? They're too different channel numbers with two different brandings: one explicitly mentioning Boston, the other New Hampshire.

even a guy like me would easily be confused. And I was. Even if you know there is a difference in branding, it's still too close. Not sure if Manch and Needham are technically duopolies (marketwise it is) but the difference here is these stations are two full fledged news gathering operations (on the polar sides of the market.) And not to mention the abutting markets of Portland and VT.

The news music always bewildered me. Why were they forced (and the viewers suffered) listening to the B-sided* Hearst theme for nearly 12+ years? WMUR around 2008 used Image News for a Community Calendar cut, but never got to use it as a theme package. Did Gari sellout the package originally used for Hearst to CBS so they could use it for their 2 indies KCAL and WLNY which could explain the torture to NHites by WMUR/Hearst?

*intentional insult to the B Package

The news music always bewildered me. Why were they forced (and the viewers suffered) listening to the B-sided* Hearst theme for nearly 12+ years? WMUR around 2008 used Image News for a Community Calendar cut, but never got to use it as a theme package. Did Gari sellout the package originally used for Hearst to CBS so they could use it for their 2 indies KCAL and WLNY which could explain the torture to NHites by WMUR/Hearst?

Probably because local management heard the Gilmer theme with the retarded sounding and rushed "No one covers New Hampshire like we do" sig on the air for the first time and realized using the Gilmer theme for everything would not be that much of an upgrade. To be clear, I'm with you in hating the B Package. What a bland and repetitive piece of crap. One of Gari's worst packages. I will not miss it at all.

Probably because local management heard the Gilmer theme with the retarded sounding and rushed "No one covers New Hampshire like we do" sig on the air for the first time and realized using the Gilmer theme for everything would not be that much of an upgrade. To be clear, I'm with you in hating the B Package. What a bland and repetitive piece of crap. One of Gari's worst packages. I will not miss it at all.

The major problem with the Jerome Gilmer open it came in obscenely loud (explains my "trainwreck") when the rest of the program comes in way too quiet (at least on the legacy Adelphia/Comcast systems.) Factor in a ridiculous theme that shouldn't ever been to begin with. I liked his KCNC collection of themes, but the Hearst was pretty bad.

On the B Package, I had suspected another Gari did the theme, his son Chris. Might had been his first themes he did. It has his sound style. if Frank did that - I'd be damned!

I digress...

Image News is the A Package. Then there's the B Package. Again, Hearst has been careful to avoid duplicating presentation across WCVB and WMUR.

It should be noted that the only reason the B Package exists is because KWTV in Oklahoma City picked up Image News in 1997, the first year it was made available. When Hearst came into possession of KOCO and WLWT, it had the B Package commissioned because of KWTV already using its A Package.

As to the Gilmer themes, I agree; the Hearst stuff isn't as great as his 80s/90s material.

Image News is the A Package. Then there's the B Package. Again, Hearst has been careful to avoid duplicating presentation across WCVB and WMUR.

What's interesting was between WMUR got the B Package in September 2002, WCVB got Gilmer's theme in December 2003, nearly 1 year and 2 months apart. I guess the duplication was a valid concern at the time, but couldn't they began to use Image News in 2005, 06?

It should be noted that the only reason the B Package exists is because KWTV in Oklahoma City picked up Image News in 1997, the first year it was made available.

I believe this package was in result of the Argyle merger, IIRC. I could've sworn the NMSA said '96 was its first year, but didn't check in a while.

What's interesting was between WMUR got the B Package in September 2002, WCVB got Gilmer's theme in December 2003, nearly 1 year and 2 months apart. I guess the duplication was a valid concern at the time, but couldn't they began to use Image News in 2005, 06?

I believe this package was in result of the Argyle merger, IIRC. I could've sworn the NMSA said '96 was its first year, but didn't check in a while.

• 1 month later...

I'm not the biggest fan of WMUR (they're the joke in the market if you asked me) but I happened to watch the 11:00 news because of some events of interest warranted me to watch.

The open hasn't changed. Its like 6 seconds, and it's really slow. The image tag plus other text animations slows down the pace when the theme package and everything else is fast. I know Sky 9 hasn't been around for ages, but they really need a fly over of a downtown and not just stills of Manch and Portsmouth. A flyover with all the other elements of the open wouldn't look as "slow."

Anyone else seeing what I am seeing?

I'm not the biggest fan of WMUR (they're the joke in the market if you asked me) but I happened to watch the 11:00 news because of some events of interest warranted me to watch.

The open hasn't changed. Its like 6 seconds, and it's really slow. The image tag plus other text animations slows down the pace when the theme package and everything else is fast. I know Sky 9 hasn't been around for ages, but they really need a fly over of a downtown and not just stills of Manch and Portsmouth. A flyover with all the other elements of the open wouldn't look as "slow."

Anyone else seeing what I am seeing?

Yes they need aerial shots otherwise it seems like a slide show. I don't know why they couldn't use WCVB's bird it according to google maps it looks like both Manchester and Portsmouth are less than 60 miles from downtown Boston (Well within the the average 75 mile receive site radius). Even if WMUR no longer has the ability to receive live aerials from the sky (with out it being reroute through WCVB to WMUR) WCVB's chopper should be able to record HD video to be used in the opening - if it can't it would be a waste of the half million dollars for an HD gimbal camera and probably another half mil on upgrades.

Yes they need aerial shots otherwise it seems like a slide show. I don't know why they couldn't use WCVB's bird it according to google maps it looks like both Manchester and Portsmouth are less than 60 miles from downtown Boston (Well within the the average 75 mile receive site radius). Even if WMUR no longer has the ability to receive live aerials from the sky (with out it being reroute through WCVB to WMUR) WCVB's chopper should be able to record HD video to be used in the opening - if it can't it would be a waste of the half million dollars for an HD gimbal camera and probably another half mil on upgrades.

As I said before, the market doesn't revolve around Boston, as half the stations sit near I95/Mass 128, but you are probably right, its about 60 miles if you go from downtown Manch/Ports to Government Center in Boston.

They have a 4K camera- thats where that backdrop of Boston was taped when they did the set redesign.

For an open, I wouldn't use a microwave link, it defeat the purpose of doing an HD open. Also, I thought the CSD had no access to the news gathering ingest room, you know ;)

What they need to get is ether that 4K camera, and safely roll some video and put it into the open. Or any HD camera. It shouldn't be that difficult.

As I said before, the market doesn't revolve around Boston, as half the stations sit near I95/Mass 128, but you are probably right, its about 60 miles if you go from downtown Manch/Ports to Government Center in Boston.

They have a 4K camera- thats where that backdrop of Boston was taped when they did the set redesign.

For an open, I wouldn't use a microwave link, it defeat the purpose of doing an HD open. Also, I thought the CSD had no access to the news gathering ingest room, you know ;)

What they need to get is ether that 4K camera, and safely roll some video and put it into the open. Or any HD camera. It shouldn't be that difficult.

The only reason I brought up Boston was to give perspective of the distance WCVB's helicopter would have to travel to record aerial footage for WMUR's news open. Manchester is about 54 miles from Boston which would take WCVB's AS350B about 20 minutes from Boston and Portsmouth is about 60 miles from Boston and would take about 25 minutes by air. It probably wouldn't take that long to get several decent aerial shots of New Hampshire.

The only reason I mentioned a microwave link was that I read somewhere that sometimes the helicopter just passes on the HD picture to the station and may not be equipped with recording capabilities. But come to think of it that article was almost eight years ago when the big markets were just getting their HD helicopters and they were first generation designs.

At the very minimum the aerial shots for the news opening should be acquired in 1080p resolution. However most stations I believe have been experimenting/using with 4K capable cameras for their CSDs, I know at least two stations here use them WBAL and WJZ. Although I am don't know if they record in 4K for most purposes - I would assume 2K progressive is good for most purposes now. That being said I doubt they would rent a helicopter crew and kit to just to acquire the news open in 4K when their sister station down the road could easily record it in 1080p.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived