Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

VideoHelper is mainly a production music library. Virtually all stations and networks use pieces of production music for cues that their main news music package doesn't have an appropriate cut for. Fox 25 using pieces of production music has nothing to do with it being "special".

But for many years WFXT has used it for bumpers, stingers etc. Let me check on YouTube, because there are videos featuring their music. (I only know it because NECN used the same cuts.) When Jodi Applegate was there, their 4:30 (later 5:00) theme was essentially a relooped, 37 second, production music cut from VH.

And again, is it 700 cuts of the package to date, and they can't seem to use any of it for their stingers, or opens or storm alerts? C'mon!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KRON 4 is much better and Fox needs to look at a class example like KRON on the way they can improve KTVU.

"A class example??" Sorry, but no. Not after what Young, Grief and Pero have done to that place. Besides, look where it's got them: dead last in the ratings, and complete irrelevance in the market. Becoming a FOX affiliate was KRON's last shot at reclaiming some legitimacy. Now that it's gone, all that's left is the impending and inevitable SSA/JSO with KGO at the end of the year to finally put this once great legacy station out of its misery.

"A class example??" Sorry, but no. Not after what Young, Grief and Pero have done to that place. Besides, look where it's got them: dead last in the ratings, and complete irrelevance in the market. Becoming a FOX affiliate was KRON's last shot at reclaiming some legitimacy. Now that it's gone, all that's left is the impending and inevitable SSA/JSO with KGO at the end of the year to finally put this once great legacy station out of its misery.

Since you brought that up, what will be the makeup of KGO/KRON "duo"? how much will talent from KRON be retained and by that i'm mean basically only Pam Moore, Catherine Heenan, and Gary Raditch? and will KGO still produce 9pm news on KOFY when the SSA/JSO takes place? will different news times be scheduled on KRON when KGO doesn't air news? Trust and believe their impending loss of Mynet affiliation is nowhere near a big loss nor is it a gain either. Fascinating nonetheless to see a former giant driven to an inescapable abyss. Just like WTVH in syracuse (yes, the former home of MNF's Mike Tirico and Diane Sawyer's eventual heir apparent David Muir)

Any shared services agreements between ABC and Media General are mere speculation at this point since nothing official has been announced beyond MG leasing space for KRON operations from ABC at 900 Front Street. Although, it's pretty easy to read the tea leaves and see that something along those lines will probably happen within a year of KRON setting up shop at the ABC Broadcast Center. Dipping my toe into the speculation pool here: once some sort of SSA is in place and MyNetworkTV has moved over to KICU, I'd imagine KGO will terminate the agreement with KOFY and KRON's 8:00pm newscast will move back to 9:00pm (where it should have stayed all along).

From what I've heard, Media General is building out a complete operation for KRON at 900 Front (which is why it's taking so long to get done), which would ostensibly include separate studios and control room facilities. It'd be up to KGO whether or not they want to schedule simultaneous shows on KRON, but I don't see a technical limitation preventing them from doing it.

Lots of interesting changes are on the horizon for Bay Area media.

Any shared services agreements between ABC and Media General are mere speculation at this point since nothing official has been announced beyond MG leasing space for KRON operations from ABC at 900 Front Street. Although, it's pretty easy to read the tea leaves and see that something along those lines will probably happen within a year of KRON setting up shop at the ABC Broadcast Center. Dipping my toe into the speculation pool here: once some sort of SSA is in place and MyNetworkTV has moved over to KICU, I'd imagine KGO will terminate the agreement with KOFY and KRON's 8:00pm newscast will move back to 9:00pm (where it should have stayed all along).

From what I've heard, Media General is building out a complete operation for KRON at 900 Front (which is why it's taking so long to get done), which would ostensibly include separate studios and control room facilities. It'd be up to KGO whether or not they want to schedule simultaneous shows on KRON, but I don't see a technical limitation preventing them from doing it.

Lots of interesting changes are on the horizon for Bay Area media.

Wasn't that building housing radio stations or something like that (like KGO radio?) It's probably similar to when WCAU leased part of the building to CBS after the big switch for them to continue to run their radio stations. In this case, it would be a TV station instead. As others said the technology has gotten smaller in size to run a full blown station.

Depending on how bad KTVU becomes, KRON could actually capitalize and hedge on the upcoming weakness of the brand and build a KTVU-like format if an event their ratings tanked, it would be a ratings refuge in that market.

Of course, I don't want a KTVU format in Boston. There are so many questions that have not been addressed by WFXT and to this moment, they still haven't reported on themselves going onto 2 weeks.

Wasn't that building housing radio stations or something like that (like KGO radio?) It's probably similar to when WCAU leased part of the building to CBS after the big switch for them to continue to run their radio stations. In this case, it would be a TV station instead. As others said the technology has gotten smaller in size to run a full blown station.

Yes, the ABC/Citadel cluster (KGO-AM and KSFO) was formerly in the space that will soon house KRON. Both radio stations moved to the Cumulus facility at 55 Hawthorne last year once the Cumulus acquisition of Citadel closed, and left a bunch of empty space at 900 Front.

Depending on how bad KTVU becomes, KRON could actually capitalize and hedge on the upcoming weakness of the brand and build a KTVU-like format if an event their ratings tanked, it would be a ratings refuge in that market.

Again, reserving judgement on this until some actual, tangible evidence is put forth that Fox is planning on completely overhauling KTVU. At this point, it's all uninformed speculation as there's little history to go on. As I've stated before in this thread, this is the first time FTS has acquired a station with the market position of KTVU. There's little financial incentive (and one could say a large financial risk) in making holistic, sweeping changes to a station that's already the top-billing in the market.

Of course, I don't want a KTVU format in Boston. There are so many questions that have not been addressed by WFXT and to this moment, they still haven't reported on themselves going onto 2 weeks.

I'm not privy to WFXT's standing in the Boston market, but if WFXT's current format is working well, I doubt incoming GM Tom Raponi would start making the news operation a clone of KTVU. If the numbers are in the gutter, then there's plenty of opportunity to start making changes—but that's not saying he'd immediately take the KTVU formula and apply it to WFXT.

A station sale/acquisition isn't exactly earth-shattering news. In fact, I'd say it's pretty unusual for a station to make mention of an acquisition on air unless there's some viewer impact (e.g. an affiliation change). KTVU dedicating three minutes of its flagship newscast to the Fox acquisition was pretty unprecedented, and in my opinion, a little unnecessary. If you factor in the obiturarial tone of the package, it was downright weird. If it makes you feel any better, I also couldn't find a mention of Cox Media Group on WHBQ's website either.

A station sale/acquisition isn't exactly earth-shattering news. In fact, I'd say it's pretty unusual for a station to make mention of an acquisition on air unless there's some viewer impact (e.g. an affiliation change). KTVU dedicating three minutes of its flagship newscast to the Fox acquisition was pretty unprecedented, and in my opinion, a little unnecessary. If you factor in the obiturarial tone of the package, it was downright weird. If it makes you feel any better, I also couldn't find a mention of Cox Media Group on WHBQ's website either.

KTVK spent some time on its morning news right after Meredith announced its acquisition of the station mentioning it, but then again that's a consolidating type of acquisition.

KDVR made on-air mention of the Tribune-Local TV deal, and that was hardly earth-shattering. I also remember them mentioning that Fox had put them up for sale in 2007, but I don't remember them mentioning that Local TV had bought them.

For those who want speculation fodder (from FTVLive):

Fox Boston Staff Nervous About Cox Takeover

July 09, 2014/ Scott Jones

As FTVLive told you, Fox and Cox decided to trade stations, in which Cox gives Fox KTVU in the San Francisco and Fox is going to give Cox their stations in Boston (WFXT) and throw in Memphis (WHBQ) as well.

The staff at WFTX Fox Boston thinks that have gotten the short straw on the deal. “No one in the newsroom is happy,” said a Fox Boston insider to Boston Herald. “No one here knows what’s happening.”

The staff thinks that Fox 25 News Director Paul McGonagle is a dead man walking at the station.

Current KTVU GM Tom Raponi is making the move to Boston when Cox takes control. Staffers fear that Raponi will be bringing KTVU News Director Lee Rosenthal with him.

Staffers point out that Rosenthal was at the helm during his station’s most embarrassing moment: the unintentional airing of an insensitive joke about the identities of the pilots flying the Asiana Airlines jet that crash-landed at San Francisco Airport last year.

Insiders are also worried about possible talent changes. KTVU has seen an exodus of veteran reporters and anchor talent, prompting some locals to wonder if the same will happen in Bean Town.

“Anyone who is making any money has to be worried,” said another station spy to the Herald.

That would be, most notably, marquee player Maria Stephanos, and possibly morning news commentatorDoug “VB” Goudie.

“Maria is loved and is the heart of the station,” said our spy. “The rest of the talent, who knows?”

Raponi wouldn’t speculate about any on-air changes, saying he hasn’t had time yet to even watch the Fox 25 newscasts.

“The announcement was just made two weeks ago,” he said. “Right now we’re focused, along with the Fox executives, on visiting each other’s properties to introduce ourselves to our respective news staffs. There’s been a lot of great work done there in Boston and I hope to go in and talk with the folks who are doing all that great work and go from there. That’s the way I’ve done it for the past 34 years.”

Raponi, who began his TV career in New York and has spent the past 19 years at KTVU, said he’s eager to return to the East Coast and to “compete in a great market like Boston.”

“Although I’m not a native,” he said, “I’m looking forward to getting out my shovel and Sorel boots.”

The staff might not be looking forward to his move as much as he is.

Stay tuned....

Yes, the ABC/Citadel cluster (KGO-AM and KSFO) was formerly in the space that will soon house KRON. Both radio stations moved to the Cumulus facility at 55 Hawthorne last year once the Cumulus acquisition of Citadel closed, and left a bunch of empty space at 900 Front.

Again, reserving judgement on this until some actual, tangible evidence is put forth that Fox is planning on completely overhauling KTVU. At this point, it's all uninformed speculation as there's little history to go on. As I've stated before in this thread, this is the first time FTS has acquired a station with the market position of KTVU. There's little financial incentive (and one could say a large financial risk) in making holistic, sweeping changes to a station that's already the top-billing in the market.

I'm not privy to WFXT's standing in the Boston market, but if WFXT's current format is working well, I doubt incoming GM Tom Raponi would start making the news operation a clone of KTVU. If the numbers are in the gutter, then there's plenty of opportunity to start making changes—but that's not saying he'd immediately take the KTVU formula and apply it to WFXT.

Fox 25 News finishes last in most timeslots, except in the morning where they've managed to pull ahead of WBZ.

Fox 25 News finishes last in most timeslots, except in the morning where they've managed to pull ahead of WBZ.

Wait a minute, they're THAT bad off? I thought they performed much better than that, especially in the mornings.

I still find it a news story (whether its in the C block and just a 30s readoff from the prompter.) While you think the KTVU package was overdone, the obitiural tone kinda made sense given the possible situation. WHBQ should've done a story too.

I said in the beginning that the reason why WFXT was bought was they didn't have an in house news operation (outsourced to NECN in their startup years) and Boston was a competitive market to own a station; and Rupert Murdoch had bragging rights the last year when The Boston Glove was sold for a mere $70m when WFXT is worth more than that by I dunno 3 or 4 times?

And I also remember when their ND left the station unexpectedly, it was a front page story for a little while about a few years ago. No and it wasn't in the press releases, it was treated as a local news section on their site. So if they did that back then, it's very possible they could've done a blurb on in. There is no excuse, and to be quite blunt - it should be story whether no matter what climate of the media business is.

For those who want speculation fodder (from FTVLive):

[story got removed]

That was a pretty lengthy article for what is supposed to be the Herald's gossip column of a few blurbs. Now there is some more evidence that they could radically change the news operation. This whole trading thing is so interesting because they must be looking at very line item that they can do to make this a very even trade. Why is Memphis exempt from personnel trading?

Wait a minute, they're THAT bad off? I thought they performed much better than that, especially in the mornings.

Well if you take out WMUR and the Univision affiliate (WUVI or something like that), there is only 4 stations to choose from for a unique newscast. All of our indies/semi networks are duopolies of Sunbeam and CBS, and they do the news for those stations which I do not count.

Now there is some more evidence that they could radically change the news operation. This whole trading thing is so interesting because they must be looking at very line item that they can do to make this a very even trade. Why is Memphis exempt from personnel trading?

Likely because Memphis is a much smaller market. SF and Boston are DMAs 6 and 7 respectively, while Memphis is DMA 50. Also, the only reason the personnel trading is happening is because new ownership likes to bring in their own management who is familiar with their operating style rather than retain the old guy. Both Tom Raponi (KTVU) and Gregg Kelley (WFXT) could be out of a job once the new owners take over to bring in their own people. But, why not just swap them? Both still have a job with the same company and all is good.

I don't know whether the NDs would swap too but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. And under Cox, I actually don't see WFXT making much changes. WFXT's market situation and viewers are different from KTVU's and I think Cox understands that. What worked in the Bay Area probably won't work in Boston. Finally, Lee Rosenthal, KTVU's ND, used to work at WXIN prior to taking the ND gig at KTVU, so I'm sure he's used to working with the Fox-ified news style that WXIN and WFXT have. I just think he didn't bring it to the Bay Area with him because of market differences with WXIN viewers and KTVU's viewers.

I do expect the newscasts to get a little stale and boring with little anchor interaction. Want to see the anchor's personality? Look on social media because you won't get it online. Cox seems to like their newscasts being straightforward with no happy talk, anchor chatter, or anchors injecting their opinions after every story.

This whole trading thing is so interesting because they must be looking at very line item that they can do to make this a very even trade. Why is Memphis exempt from personnel trading?

They aren't really "trading personnel" per se. It's pretty much industry standard for new ownership to put their management in place when they acquire a station. So, Tom Raponi and Gregg Kelly would normally be shown the door when the new owners take over. However, both CMG and FTS are retaining them as employees and effectively "reassigning" them to their new stations. Why go through the hassle of finding a new GM for your new station when the guy (or, gal) at your old station is going to be shown the door? Just keep the current guy (or, gal) on the payroll and "reassign" them to your new station.

The speculation regarding the ND's is along the same lines. Once the new GM is in place they sometimes want to have their guy or gal in place. So, there is the assumption that the ND's will be let go shortly after closing. And, if they are going to be replaced by the new GM in favor of "the new GM's guy/gal" who better to fill the seat then then the ND you just worked with who coincidentally is now on the street. This isn't a given to happen as the ND's could both be retained, only one of them let go or replaced by other ND's altogether. It's all based on speculation at this point.

Memphis isn't necessarily exempt. The current GM at WHBQ could be shown the door in favor of a manager within CMG. Even though it's a four station swap, two each, KTVU/KICU are a duopoly and share a GM. So, the current GM at WHBQ, John Koski, has nowhere to be "reassigned" to by FTS like Gregg Kelly. Therefore, you could still see CMG put "their management" in place at WHBQ like they will due at WFXT. The only difference is the guy potentially being ousted from the chair doesn't have a landing spot, like the current WFXT and KTVU/KICU GM's.

It's not that surprising. Fox 25 News is a typical Fox O&O news product, a relative newcomer (they only recently launched 11 PM and 5 PM newscasts) and a Fox News copycat. As you can imagine, the FNC mimicry doesn't play well in the a blue state like Massachusetts.

It's not that surprising. Fox 25 News is a typical Fox O&O news product, a relative newcomer (they only recently launched 11 PM and 5 PM newscasts) and a Fox News copycat. As you can imagine, the FNC mimicry doesn't play well in the a blue state like Massachusetts.

When Fox owned WJW, they never tried to convert it into a Fox News clone. For the most part, the infrastructure that was in place since New World ownership kept the station as-is.

They aren't really "trading personnel" per se. It's pretty much industry standard for new ownership to put their management in place when they acquire a station. So, Tom Raponi and Gregg Kelly would normally be shown the door when the new owners take over. However, both CMG and FTS are retaining them as employees and effectively "reassigning" them to their new stations. Why go through the hassle of finding a new GM for your new station when the guy (or, gal) at your old station is going to be shown the door? Just keep the current guy (or, gal) on the payroll and "reassign" them to your new station.

The speculation regarding the ND's is along the same lines. Once the new GM is in place they sometimes want to have their guy or gal in place. So, there is the assumption that the ND's will be let go shortly after closing. And, if they are going to be replaced by the new GM in favor of "the new GM's guy/gal" who better to fill the seat then then the ND you just worked with who coincidentally is now on the street. This isn't a given to happen as the ND's could both be retained, only one of them let go or replaced by other ND's altogether. It's all based on speculation at this point.

Memphis isn't necessarily exempt. The current GM at WHBQ could be shown the door in favor of a manager within CMG. Even though it's a four station swap, two each, KTVU/KICU are a duopoly and share a GM. So, the current GM at WHBQ, John Koski, has nowhere to be "reassigned" to by FTS like Gregg Kelly. Therefore, you could still see CMG put "their management" in place at WHBQ like they will due at WFXT. The only difference is the guy potentially being ousted from the chair doesn't have a landing spot, like the current WFXT and KTVU/KICU GM's.

WJW and the other Fox O&Os that were sold to LocalTV had minimal management changes. One exception, though, was Fox transferring WJW's GM Mike Renda to WTXF shortly before the sale closed, and ND Greg Easterly took over as GM (and now he's WGN-TV's GM).

Since you brought that up, what will be the makeup of KGO/KRON "duo"? how much will talent from KRON be retained and by that i'm mean basically only Pam Moore, Catherine Heenan, and Gary Raditch? and will KGO still produce 9pm news on KOFY when the SSA/JSO takes place? will different news times be scheduled on KRON when KGO doesn't air news? Trust and believe their impending loss of Mynet affiliation is nowhere near a big loss nor is it a gain either. Fascinating nonetheless to see a former giant driven to an inescapable abyss. Just like WTVH in syracuse (yes, the former home of MNF's Mike Tirico and Diane Sawyer's eventual heir apparent David Muir)

I can't imagine there even being a SSA/JSO, and even if there was, it would be nothing more than for sales. MG-LIN had to get KRON out of the white elephant that was their former studios, and the space available at KGO-TV was an obvious choice for an interim setup while a new facility gets built.

I usually follow the sage words of HulkieD. ABC is never in the business of buying TV stations. And a KGO/KRON duopoly, even with a SSA/JSO, makes no sense if it's coming from Disney.

When Fox owned WJW, they never tried to convert it into a Fox News clone.

No but I think he's referring to the appearance of the station as a whole. It screams "Fox News". People in Ohio are different from people in Massachusetts and it's pretty clear the majority of people there in Mass. do not like Fox News. They see "Fox" and they think "Faux".

I can't imagine there even being a SSA/JSO, and even if there was, it would be nothing more than for sales. MG-LIN had to get KRON out of the white elephant that was their former studios, and the space available at KGO-TV was an obvious choice for an interim setup while a new facility gets built.

Are you sure it's going to be an interim setup? I thought, from what I've been reading, this will be their new permanent facilities. Maybe somebody from the Bay Area can clarify this.

I still find it a news story (whether its in the C block and just a 30s readoff from the prompter.) While you think the KTVU package was overdone, the obitiural tone kinda made sense given the possible situation. WHBQ should've done a story too.

WHBQ did a brief story about the trade to Cox the same day the deal was announced (during the 5:00 news). I'm still waiting to see when the Public Notices will start airing.

WJW and the other Fox O&Os that were sold to LocalTV had minimal management changes. One exception, though, was Fox transferring WJW's GM Mike Renda to WTXF shortly before the sale closed, and ND Greg Easterly took over as GM (and now he's WGN-TV's GM).

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But, LocalTV didn't really have their own management to put in place to replace an ousted GM. It made more sense to keep the current GM's in the chairs. The point I was attempting to make was in more often than not the current GM is ousted in favor of someone from the new ownerships ranks. Again, It's not always a given. The GM at WHBQ could be retained by CMG or be let go.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But, LocalTV didn't really have their own management to put in place to replace an ousted GM. It made more sense to keep the current GM's in the chairs. The point I was attempting to make was in more often than not the current GM is ousted in favor of someone from the new ownerships ranks. Again, It's not always a given. The GM at WHBQ could be retained by CMG or be let go.

Neither was I... my post was operating with that point already built in. Renda's transfer to WTXF really had little to do with the sale, and Easterly's promotion to WGN-TV was more reflective of WJW's standing within the LocalTV group, plus the 'GN spot was open anyway.

I thought we were done with the political chatter with WFXT (oh... I think I said that for myself.)

Fox 25 is not a FNC clone. If you are a liberal "moonbat", well then anything that isn't liberal would be a FNC clone.

I have to stress yet again that Boston DMA is not just Suffolk County in includes all of Eastern Mass and the entire Southern NH region. Also, Mass is not all blue, there is a center right base (but not midwest/southern tighty rightie, "get off my lawn or I'll get my rifle" type of conservatives.) I have friends who live in this area who are not moonbat liberals. If anything the WFXT format mimics WRKO. If WRKO was on TV, it would be Fox 25, especially when many RKO people have been on WFXT's newscasts for reax of various local political stories (and yet again, its not Roger Ailes influenced!)

No but I think he's referring to the appearance of the station as a whole. It screams "Fox News". People in Ohio are different from people in Massachusetts and it's pretty clear the majority of people there in Mass. do not like Fox News. They see "Fox" and they think "Faux".

Are you sure it's going to be an interim setup? I thought, from what I've been reading, this will be their new permanent facilities. Maybe somebody from the Bay Area can clarify this.

As I mentioned earlier, it mimics WRKO radio in Boston than FNC.

WHBQ did a brief story about the trade to Cox the same day the deal was announced (during the 5:00 news). I'm still waiting to see when the Public Notices will start airing.

Brief story is better than none. Checked late last week, no filings available on Fox 25's site.

Part II

Likely because Memphis is a much smaller market. SF and Boston are DMAs 6 and 7 respectively, while Memphis is DMA 50. Also, the only reason the personnel trading is happening is because new ownership likes to bring in their own management who is familiar with their operating style rather than retain the old guy. Both Tom Raponi (KTVU) and Gregg Kelley (WFXT) could be out of a job once the new owners take over to bring in their own people. But, why not just swap them? Both still have a job with the same company and all is good.

I don't know whether the NDs would swap too but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. And under Cox, I actually don't see WFXT making much changes. WFXT's market situation and viewers are different from KTVU's and I think Cox understands that. What worked in the Bay Area probably won't work in Boston. Finally, Lee Rosenthal, KTVU's ND, used to work at WXIN prior to taking the ND gig at KTVU, so I'm sure he's used to working with the Fox-ified news style that WXIN and WFXT have. I just think he didn't bring it to the Bay Area with him because of market differences with WXIN viewers and KTVU's viewers.

I do expect the newscasts to get a little stale and boring with little anchor interaction. Want to see the anchor's personality? Look on social media because you won't get it online. Cox seems to like their newscasts being straightforward with no happy talk, anchor chatter, or anchors injecting their opinions after every story.

Now this makes more sense with the personnel trading. However, I didn't think a new owner would fire management, because if they transfered someone elsewhere in corporate, they would probably have to hire new people to fill in the opening. Again this happens once in a blue moon, so I (and others) probably don't know why this is happening.

I do agree with the KTVU's monotone style. I wished I thought of that earlier. Try coaching Maria Stephanos to be a cold hearted b****h reading the news. Good luck to KTVU peeps, you'll get nowhere for someone like her.

What happened 19 years ago when CBS and NBC literally traded stations? Did they transfer management? I know it was very complex deal, because some just traded studios and also traded towers for NBC to get WCAU. BTW, the FCC filings reference CBS in 1995 in the trade agreement with FTS and CMG.

It's not that surprising. Fox 25 News is a typical Fox O&O news product, a relative newcomer (they only recently launched 11 PM and 5 PM newscasts) and a Fox News copycat.

That's an inaccurate statement. Fox 25 had a 5:00 news on and off the last decade, when they lost Anderson Cooper and Ricki Lake 2.0, they had an opening to do the 5:00 newscast. And 11:00 has been around for at least 5 years, maybe more? Like I said earlier, its not copycating Fox News, they reach the WRKO radio audience. They don't make trashy headlines like "Boston Bombing" and add obscene drama like show like Megyn Kelly for instance.

What happened 19 years ago when CBS and NBC literally traded stations? Did they transfer management? I know it was very complex deal, because some just traded studios and also traded towers for NBC to get WCAU. BTW, the FCC filings reference CBS in 1995 in the trade agreement with FTS and CMG.

I'll answer this and then try to tie it back to the topic of the thread so the discussion isn't completely taken off-topic.

Miami:

Nothing changed regarding personnel, they only swapped licenses. Since, the facilities (transmitter/tower) are tied to the license(s) the only way to "swap" frequencies was to trade licenses. They swapped the call letters between the licenses at the time of transfer. NBC changed the call sign of the "Channel 6" license (Facility ID# 63154) from WCIX to WTVJ on the date of the switch. And, CBS/Group W changed the call sign of the "Channel 4" license (Facility ID# 47902) from WTVJ to WCIX/WFOR on the date of the switch. Everything else stayed the same, both CBS/Group W and NBC kept their studios, staff, etc., etc. So, there weren't any management changes in Miami.

Philadelphia:

As KYW wasn't changing ownership (remaining with Group W), only their affiliation, the General Manager at the time Tony Vincquerra remained at the helm with the switch from NBC to CBS. However, WCAU switched ownership. So, Gene Lothery, the GM of WCAU under CBS ownership at the time was not retained. NBC made Pat Wallace GM of WCAU when they took over.

Denver:

Upon closing CBS/Group W made Marv Rockford GM of KCNC when they took over. The GM of KCNC under NBC ownership at the time, Roger Ogden, was "reassigned" / "accepted another position" within NBC moving to London to run NBC Super Channel. Two years later he reappeared in the Denver market becoming the new GM of KUSA.

Salt Lake City:

Upon closing CBS/Group W made David Phillips GM of KUTV when they took over. But, the "outgoing" General Manager of KUTV, Jeffery Hatch, remained for a short time after the sale as "President" becoming a consultant to the station a few months after closing. This is more due to the fact that the Hatch family maintained 12% ownership of KUTV. CBS/Group W only acquired the 88% that NBC purchased earlier in 1994. Hatch's role as GM was reduced when NBC acquired that 88% ownership stake anyway. NBC made the aforementioned Roger Ogden, GM of KCNC at the time, "Transition Team Leader" of KUTV essentially giving him oversight of the station during the brief time NBC held majority control of KUTV. Then the Group W deal happened...

Now, with regards to the current deal between FTS/CMG. Maybe I'm hung up on semantics but, technically they aren't "trading" management. The General Managers are being retained by their current employers and being "reassigned" to the other station. So, it kind of looks like they are "trading" them but, they really are not. In fact there is a whole section in the Exchange Agreement mentioning "Excluded Employees" that will be retained by their current employer, FTS or CMG.

It reads as follows:

"Notwithstanding Section 6.01(a), (i) FTS shall not offer employment to any Employee identified on Cox Disclosure Schedule Section 6.01(i) (“Excluded Cox Employees”) and (ii) Cox shall not offer employment to any Employee identified on FTS Disclosure Schedule Section 6.01(ii) (“Excluded FTS Employees”). As of the date hereof, Cox Disclosure Schedule Section 6.01((i) specifies the name and title of each Excluded Cox Employee and FTS Disclosure Schedule Section 6.01(ii) specifies the name and title of each Excluded FTS Employee; provided that, each of Cox and FTS may propose the addition of up to six (6) additional names to each of such disclosure schedules within ten (10) days of the execution of this Agreement; provided, further that, in the event Cox and FTS are not able to mutually agree to such additions, the disputed individuals shall be Transferred Employees pursuant to the terms of Section 6.01(a) hereof and shall not be Excluded Cox Employees or Excluded FTS Employees."

The schedules are redacted. But, at this point it pretty safe to assume that Tom Raponi and Gregg Kelly's names are on those lists. The fact that their current employers have stated they will be "reassigning" them to the station they are acquiring more than proves this. It's possible John Koski, current GM of WHBQ, is on this list and will be "reassigned" somewhere within FTS. It's also possible that the various News Directors could be on the list to be retained by their current employers. This might be the first time you have seen something like this happen but, It's definitely not unique.

Also, Sorry for all the links above. I didn't want people to think I was making shit up. So, I tried to cite my info as much as possible.

Archived