WPXI New Look

chrelevator

Guest NewsHound

That music is production music and I'm shocked nobody has mentioned that beforehand.

Listen to all the aforementioned cuts, it's the exact same cut of music with production tracks overlayed. They use an aggressive cut for sports but I believe that's just the same piece of music with guitars overlayed.

There is no distinct logo in the music and it just loops over and over, it's production music and cheap production music at that. Definitely not on par with Megatrax or Killer Tracks, more on the VideoHelper or Freeplay Music level.

Look at it this way though, sister station WFTV used production cuts for years before Cox invested in a package for them. Also, WSB's News 2000 (whether people agree with me or not) was pretty much production music because it never had enough distinctive themes to make it a package. Lots of the Cox-owned sister stations like WRDQ in Orlando and WAXN in Charlotte all used production tracks. Cox is very friendly with the people at Megatrax.

Still, it's not a package, hate to break it to you but if every cut sounds like that with no variation in instruments or pitch or tone, it's production music.

For some reason, parts of WPXI's old Hothaus package still keep showing up in their newscasts. This has been a problem since the new look was launched. The old lower thirds sometimes come up, and tonight on 11 at 11 they closed with the old closing slide. Why wouldn't the old graphics be removed from their systems?

Visiting PGH last night, I did notice that some of the graphics weren't in the right position on WPGH's 10pm newscast ("Live" bug, IIRC - I'll have to go back to my recordings to check). I haven't watched my recording of WPXI - had KDKA on the set in the room and WTRF on display on the computer.

On side note, I was a little depressed that WTRF/Fox was in SD - wanted to capture an HD newscast before the stations dropped Fox...

J

Visiting PGH last night, I did notice that some of the graphics weren't in the right position on WPGH's 10pm newscast ("Live" bug, IIRC - I'll have to go back to my recordings to check). I haven't watched my recording of WPXI - had KDKA on the set in the room and WTRF on display on the computer.

On side note, I was a little depressed that WTRF/Fox was in SD - wanted to capture an HD newscast before the stations dropped Fox...

J

That's probably because the WPGH (and PCNC) bugs don't match the current package like the standard WPXI bug does. Hopefully they will be changed at some point to match.

• 3 weeks later...

I do like everything but the music. It's not godforsaken trash like This is Home but it just doesn't seem fitting for WPXI IMO. The music feels a lil too up tempo for Channel 11 News but when the time comes, it should feel perfect on WHBQ and WFXT.

That music is production music and I'm shocked nobody has mentioned that beforehand.

Listen to all the aforementioned cuts, it's the exact same cut of music with production tracks overlayed. They use an aggressive cut for sports but I believe that's just the same piece of music with guitars overlayed.

There is no distinct logo in the music and it just loops over and over, it's production music and cheap production music at that. Definitely not on par with Megatrax or Killer Tracks, more on the VideoHelper or Freeplay Music level.

Look at it this way though, sister station WFTV used production cuts for years before Cox invested in a package for them. Also, WSB's News 2000 (whether people agree with me or not) was pretty much production music because it never had enough distinctive themes to make it a package. Lots of the Cox-owned sister stations like WRDQ in Orlando and WAXN in Charlotte all used production tracks. Cox is very friendly with the people at Megatrax.

Still, it's not a package, hate to break it to you but if every cut sounds like that with no variation in instruments or pitch or tone, it's production music.

I like the music, especially the little electronic "riff" at about the :07 mark as they segue into the news. And looking at that building reminds me of what a generally ugly city Pittspuke is. Nice downtown, but the rest of the area is ughhhh!

I like the music, especially the little electronic "riff" at about the :07 mark as they segue into the news. And looking at that building reminds me of what a generally ugly city Pittspuke is. Nice downtown, but the rest of the area is ughhhh!

No one talks trash on Pittsburgh.

I like Pittsburgh. Mostly because having huge hills right next to downtown is something that's way too cool when compared to the pretty much flat Milwaukee area. Lots of nice old buildings downtown, too. The airport is weird. The convention center is nice but a little too plain inside. Going through the Fort Pitt tunnel into downtown has got to be the coolest of all the ways to enter any city in the USA.

Everything I saw between the Airport and downtown looked like pretty much all the other metropolitan outlying areas I've been through. No complaints.

B+ Would visit again.

• 9 months later...

People keep thinking WFXT will get these. I hope they don't (and I doubt they will) because these graphics would not fit them well AT ALL and would CRASH in a market like Boston. I do like the music though.

Guest NewsHound

People keep thinking WFXT will get these. I hope they don't (and I doubt they will) because these graphics would not fit them well AT ALL and would CRASH in a market like Boston. I do like the music though.

It's indeed possible that WFXT could get something that is inspired by these, but the same can be said for any other Cox package or could be something completely different altogether. Cox has a decent relationship with Hothaus, so you have to hope they will get something decent.

Will WFXT get the WPXI package exactly the way it is? Absolutely not.

Cox does not and has not ever used the same exact look on more than one station. The only example I can think of is when WFTV, WSB, and WSOC got their first HD graphics. Each one had similar elements, but they all had differences. WSB and WFTV's package was closer to each other but not exact. WSOC had different opens altogether.

So if WFXT gets similar graphics to another Cox property or something completely new altogether, it will not be a direct copy of anything we've seen before. Cox will make sure of that.

EDIT: It should also be said that Cox graphics now are not like the Giant Octopus packages of the past, even less likely that the packages will share elements. GO was notorious for recycling elements. Whether they go Hothaus or someone completely different altogether, you can guarantee that WFXT's new package will be more unique.

Cox does not and has not ever used the same exact look on more than one station.

Hm. You should take a look at

and

It's close, but not exact. There are differences.

It's okay to admit you're wrong, we won't think any less of you.

Guest NewsHound

It's okay to admit you're wrong, we won't think any less of you.

Look closely at KTVU and the other station and you will notice that yes, it's the same base package, but they have different elements. The lowers are even different. I'd admit I was wrong if I actually was, but I happen to know more about how these companies work than you do.

I have to quote Allen Iverson in this and state "Are we really arguing the merits if all of the COX Media Group graphics are similar".

:beat: I'm not trying to be mean-spirited but this is truly beating a dead horse. Let's wait and see with baited breath whats going to happen with WFXT and WHBQ with their new ownership.

Looks like a downgrade for FOX 23. They were better when they had the KSWB look, however their colors and package seemed more colorful and sharper than KSWB.

Looks like a downgrade for FOX 23. They were better when they had the KSWB look, however their colors and package seemed more colorful and sharper than KSWB.

I think it has to do with that logo, that's a logo you would've seen in the late 90's.

That and the choice of font that KOKI uses makes it look cheap compared to the font KTVU uses.

Archived