Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

KNXV is doing...OK. It's got some turmoil going on, what with all the internal changes there. But it's in its once-a-decade "we're relevant" phase.

KNXV seems to be stable talent-wise. It's Scripps' tinkering that hasn't led to full stability. Then again, every English-language station except for FOX 10 is going through changes.

From "vjm1," my partner in crime at RadioDiscussions, WEWS is picking up "Access Hollywood" at 7:30pm weeknights as the replacement for "Let's Ask America" (LAA is being banished to 1:05AM as it plays out the summer string).

Until this past week, "Access Hollywood" was buried in late nights on WUAB, which has the bulk of tabloid newsmagazines not named "Entertainment Tonight" on their schedule.

I'm not familiar with their new weekend morning girl so I can't tell you how she is but I saw a clip of their new chief meteorologist Angelica Campos and god she seems so stuck up, fake and plastic. She clearly isn't ready for a major role like the chief meteorologist position and there are far more qualified candidates out there too (but I know this is Scripps we're talking). I just can't seem to warm up to her and frankly she was kind of hard to watch.

I also saw a clip of their old weather lady Pat Brown and she seemed far more likeable and genuine. Hoping she will land somewhere, because KGTV just made their competitors job much easier.

Having seen her work at WJW off and on for the past several years, I never had a problem with Angela. It took a while for Clevelanders to warm up to her delivery (mainly as she was the replacement for Melissa Mack, who returned to WJW as one-third of the evening Goddard/Bernier/Mack meterological triumvirate at WJW) but they did.

And of course weather forecasting in Cleveland is much, much different than forecasting a perpetually sunny market like San Diego.

WXYZ released it's first promo for The NOW Detroit since they revamped the show, changed anchors and made the show all solid news and interviews and nuked the fluff:

The kinda-distancing from The NOW branding continues as well. The end of the promo shows the news logo with a "weekdays at 4pm" slapped underneath it. This is something new with this promo and seems to indicate they are trying to connect it with the news operation. It's also the first real promotion of the show since March.

WXYZ released it's first promo for The NOW Detroit since they revamped the show, changed anchors and made the show all solid news and interviews and nuked the fluff:

The kinda-distancing from The NOW branding continues as well. The end of the promo shows the news logo with a "weekdays at 4pm" slapped underneath it. This is something new with this promo and seems to indicate they are trying to connect it with the news operation. It's also the first real promotion of the show since March.

Hopefully Scripps will get a clue and ax The Now in many markets either bring a 4pm local news, and for WXYZ bring back Good Afternoon Detroit. I'm all for a locally produce shows. I wonder why there no NOW in Baltimore?

I wonder why there no NOW in Baltimore?

1.) WMAR 2 is one of Scripps' worst-performing stations.

2.) WMAR 2 is the only Scripps station that doesn't produce news on Saturdays.

3.) I believe WMAR 2 is the only news-produced Scripps station that doesn't air midday news.

4.) WMAR 2 is one of ABC's weakest stations.

I can go on and on and on as to how bad WMAR 2 has been.

WMAR's already on death's door, no need to inflict more pain on it.

Same with KSHB. I'm curious to know whatever happened to the rumors that The NOW KC would either be canceled, moved, or replaced with a traditional newscast. They've made it a two-anchor format now, so it's obviously not being canceled or moved, but it's still not working in the market.

Since Scripps now has ABC affiliates all around Arizona, they might as well launch AZCN (Arizona Cable News) without any trace of "The NOW" seeing as how much "The NOW" sucks because of it dragging down most of the Scripps stations that have it.

Since Scripps now has ABC affiliates all around Arizona, they might as well launch AZCN (Arizona Cable News) without any trace of "The NOW" seeing as how much "The NOW" sucks because of it dragging down most of the Scripps stations that have it.

Who wants to launch a cable news channel in this day and age?

Everybody except KECY 9.2 in Yuma, AZ-El Centro, CA, in which its owned by News-Press and Gazette Company.

Given that "Let's Ask America" got canned, and "The List" and "The NOW" haven't done too well either, maybe Scripps should regroup on their in-house programming strategy and find concepts that actually work. Of all the Scripps-backed shows, "Right This Minute" is the only one doing remotely well, it seems. Though that show's concept is more current, given the focus on viral videos.

From "vjm1," my partner in crime at RadioDiscussions, WEWS is picking up "Access Hollywood" at 7:30pm weeknights as the replacement for "Let's Ask America" (LAA is being banished to 1:05AM as it plays out the summer string).

Until this past week, "Access Hollywood" was buried in late nights on WUAB, which has the bulk of tabloid newsmagazines not named "Entertainment Tonight" on their schedule.

By bulk, which ones? And, which ones besides "ET" does WUAB not carry?

Given that "Let's Ask America" got canned, and "The List" and "The NOW" haven't done too well either, maybe Scripps should regroup on their in-house programming strategy and find concepts that actually work. Of all the Scripps-backed shows, "Right This Minute" is the only one doing remotely well, it seems. Though that show's concept is more current, given the focus on viral videos.By bulk, which ones? And, which ones besides "ET" does WUAB not carry?

Well WMAR could move The Insider from the slot left open by Let's Ask America but are their any scheduling restrictions in relation to ET and The Insider?

Given that "Let's Ask America" got canned, and "The List" and "The NOW" haven't done too well either, maybe Scripps should regroup on their in-house programming strategy and find concepts that actually work. Of all the Scripps-backed shows, "Right This Minute" is the only one doing remotely well, it seems. Though that show's concept is more current, given the focus on viral videos.

I believe that this is unlikely. Scripps time and time again has expressed their support for all of their original programming and that they're "giving it time" in the hopes that viewers will catch on to it and starting watching it. They've even acknowledged that some of their stations have seen significantly lower ratings since they premiered! You would think that after Let's Ask America was canceled, and The List was bastardized in attempts to make it "better," plus The NOW plunging some stations to dead last in their market, they would try and figure something out that would be better, but they haven't. They're cheap, stubborn, and probably in denial that all of their ideas have, frankly, failed.

I believe that this is unlikely. Scripps time and time again has expressed their support for all of their original programming and that they're "giving it time" in the hopes that viewers will catch on to it and starting watching it. They've even acknowledged that some of their stations have seen significantly lower ratings since they premiered! You would think that after Let's Ask America was canceled, and The List was bastardized in attempts to make it "better," plus The NOW plunging some stations to dead last in their market, they would try and figure something out that would be better, but they haven't. They're cheap, stubborn, and probably in denial that all of their ideas have, frankly, failed.

Ironically they were slow and stubborn at rolling websites out to their stations 15 years ago... They say "innovation is in our blood" but i think it's the slow and stubborn part.

Well, note that I said "regroup" as opposed to "rethink". Scripps' ventures into original content (other than "RTM") have apparently fared worse when directly contrasting to other groups that have done this in the past such as Group W and Tribune, whom have had failures in syndication but also quite a few successes, so it doesn't mean give they should give up completely... just come up with something that audiences will at least find likeable and seamlessly switch out the shows that aren't working.

The only thing is you can retool and "give [the shows] time" as much as you can, but anyone in the programming biz knows that there comes a time when the realization arrives when a show should be taken out like Old Yeller... not to mention that if ratings in the time periods that these programs have aired at are that much lower than when outside-acquired syndies or local newscasts ran in those slots, then the GMs and programming managers at the stations already carrying them are going to have to be the ones to put corporate's proverbial backs against the wall and realize "we need to do better... the viewers aren't watching, the stations feel the shows are dragging them down, the show is a Grade-A bomb". Even the hardheaded ones learn sometime, the question is at what point? If company management is that stubborn to not realize an epic fail when it slams into their face like a Mac Truck going 80 mph, then the original content biz isn't cut for them.

KGTV...When all else fails....just distort the truth.

A man killed his dad on the 4th of July, and fled to Mexico. A few nights later the man turned himself in to San Diego PD at the border.

KGTV got shots of the suspect in the SDPD garage after his arrest. KGTV proclaimed "Exclusive"!!!!

'Only on 10 news"!!!

One problem...

KFMB got shots of the guy being turned over to police at the border...hours before KGTV got anything.

Now KGTV is saying.....

"Only 10 news was at police headquarters " for these "exclusive" shots.

OK....

I guess that's true...

KGTV was "the only station" at SDPD Headquarters...

But that's because KFMB had already kicked your asses at the border!

Tiffany Lupensky and her newsroom of complete liars and dolts!

A man killed his dad on the 4th of July, and fled to Mexico. A few nights later the man turned himself in to San Diego PD at the border.

KGTV got shots of the suspect in the SDPD garage after his arrest. KGTV proclaimed "Exclusive"!!!!

'Only on 10 news"!!!

One problem...

KFMB got shots of the guy being turned over to police at the border...hours before KGTV got anything.

Now KGTV is saying.....

OK....

I guess that's true...

Not lying... just saving face for being late to the border...

'Only on 10 news"!!!

One problem...

Now KGTV is saying.....

OK....

I guess that's true...

Did you see the story that TVSpy did a few weeks ago involving KGTV and their reporter Emily Valdes? Boy, if there was ever a time that publicity was bad.... that was it. TVSpy wrote up an article on how KGTV is avoiding those 'FHRITP' hijacks and Valdes was touting that they were doing those "Look Lives" if they determined that when out covering a story a scene could become problematic. It was basically a fluff piece trying to make the station and the reporter look good, and it ended up blowing up in their faces since everyone knew it was B.S. Plus, KGTV has been doing those 'Look Live' reports for years, going back to when they were owned by McGraw-Hill, yet for Valdes and they station, they felt that they could toot their own horn. Womp womp. They got ripped pretty good in the comments section, and when I tried looking for the article, *surprise, surprise* it's nowhere to be found. Go figure.

I said it before, and I'll say it again... If KNSD can get it's sh*t together, they could really make a strong run at #2. I get the need to hire young, cheap, MMJ's but the one's KNSD hires are not ready. KGTV hires young, cheap, MMJ's yet they are better than 7's. I'm hoping that Comcast will allow more investment in the station once they move into their new building.

They are such idiots!

I seem to recall the look lives started as a direct result of NABET interference during live shots when the contract was being negotiated.

Did Valdez actually say it was result of FHITP???

Figgin amazing!

I sample KNSD every few months, and like you, I'm not impressed. Cubbison is about all they really have left. Rory Devine is solid...but she gets that shit education beat.

I really am holding back about some of these morons.

I now am starting to see KFMB starting to drift into the same dangerous waters with some recent hires.

I swear if I see one more novelty "stand-up" i'm gonna puke.

What happend to the days of the nice network stand-up with a nice slo-push, and a mushed out background??? Do all stand-up require a prop??? KGTV photogs can't shoot steady stand-ups anymore due to this "prop" action.

I can tell when KGTV reporters are lying.....they say this shit....

"We just checked"

'We first reported" not "We were first to report"

"XXX person called 10-News"

"We first told you on 10-News at 4:30am"

It's gross....every vo-sot, lead-in and vo's are salted with this self-promo garbage. KNSD is starting to do it also.

It's a Scripps wide issue from what I see.

How about you give more FACTS as opposed to shameless self promotion in EVERY story.

They are such idiots!

I seem to recall the look lives started as a direct result of NABET interference during live shots when the contract was being negotiated.

Figgin amazing!

I sample KNSD every few months, and like you, I'm not impressed. Cubbison is about all they really have left. Rory Devine is solid...but she gets that shit education beat.

I now am starting to see KFMB starting to drift into the same dangerous waters with some recent hires.

What happend to the days of the nice network stand-up with a nice slo-push, and a mushed out background??? Do all stand-up require a prop??? KGTV photogs can't shoot steady stand-ups anymore due to this "prop" action.

"We just checked"

It's gross....every vo-sot, lead-in and vo's are salted with this self-promo garbage. KNSD is starting to do it also.

How about you give more FACTS as opposed to shameless self promotion in EVERY story.

Even and especially in the big markets no matter the owner they self-promote... What are you talking about?

They are such idiots!

Figgin amazing!

"We just checked"

From what I remembered, whoever wrote the article implied it was (or even quoted her), but then she contacted them and basically just said that if situation presented itself where a scene could become problematic, then they were ready to go with the 'look lives'. So basically, it started off as touting KGTV for being innovative in doing the 'look lives' to stop the 'FHRITP' craze, to KGTV is prepared in case it were to happen. It was a clusterf*ck of an article, tbh. Somewhere along the line, either the author of the article dropped the ball, or the reporter over-dramatisized the situation and did an about-face after she was ripped for it. Either way, it was puff piece meant to make them look good and it blew up in their face. Who else could have contacted TVSpy to have them devote an article to it?

I get the need for self-promotion, but jeez they really do over do it. At the end of the day, the viewers don't care if you were "first to report" or "viewers were first alerted to this story from our app". If you are a loyal viewer, you know where you can locate the station (OTA, online, social media, etc.). Yet, for every damn thing it's "promote our app, promote our social media pages,etc." and it happens at the most inappropriate times too (i.e. right after they run a story of a murder, etc.). Hell, it's just not KGTV, KNSD does the same thing as well.