CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the reverse comp issue, this move makes no sense for anybody, at least in my view. CBS loses out on a strong news brand. WISH loses its network and to get another one either is impossible (ABC) or would continue making seismic waves (NBC).

Get ready for a whole new meaning to "24 Hour News 8". They'll pull the 10pm from WNDY, and I wouldn't be surprised if they look at KTVK or WJXT to see how they do things.

However, unlike KTVK nor WJXT when they lost their respective affiliations, WISH-TV is not an strong #1, they are in a tight race with WRTV, and if they don't land another affilate, then WRTV is the one with the most to gain.

UPDATE FROM THE INDIANAPOLIS BUSINESS JOURNAL:

A source familiar with WTTV’s preliminary plans said the station will have its own newscasts separate from its local sister station, WXIN-TV Channel 59, which is affiliated with Fox Broadcasting.

“It will be its own news; nothing will be re-purposed from WXIN,” the source said. “The specifics are still being worked out.”

Though WTTV’s plans are still being formulated, the source familiar with the station’s discussions said the station will hire its own local TV personalities and not rely on WXIN’s on-air talent.

So, this sounds like Tribune's morning setup in Denver (seperate anchors, shared reporters between KDVR and KWGN) and what appears to be Meredith's plan in Phoenix.

I remember reading in a earlier post that LIN does not promote CBS in their station brandings at all, and If you look at all of the LIN Media stations they seem to downplay their respective networks but especially their CBS stations. I will use WIAT-TV in Birmingham as an example, when they were owned by NewVision they were known as CBS 42 now owned by LIN they became WIAT 42 and you really don't see the CBS branding at all except for network programming now.

I've noticed this, as well. Not long after LIN bought WTHI in Terre Haute, the CBS eye was removed from the station's logo. However, they kept the Fox logo on WTHI's .2 logo (the Fox affiliation contract might require that). They also introduced a new logo for KIMT without a CBS eye (although the eye is displayed on a background graphic, but I don't know how often that's used). And then there's the obvious rebranding of WIAT. Does anyone know why the LIN CBS affiliates have a tendency to distance themselves from the network?

If Tribune is serious about upgrading their presence with CBS, it wouldn't surprise me to have them wrestle away CBS from Raycom in Cleveland, and reverse the swap that happened 20 years ago with WJW and WOIO. Even more so if Johnny Football can make something out of the Browns...

I don't think Tribune is worried about the performance of their Fox stations, but the stations that are affiliated with CW or My Network TV that are outside of the Top 10 markets.

The next affiliation that I feel Tribune is targeting is ABC in St Louis. The current agreement with KDNL expires next August, and Sinclair hasn't honored their commitments in regards to the market ( ifABC requires news, they could pull the affiliation right now without recourse).

I've noticed this, as well. Not long after LIN bought WTHI in Terre Haute, the CBS eye was removed from the station's logo. However, they kept the Fox logo on WTHI's .2 logo (the Fox affiliation contract might require that). They also introduced a new logo for KIMT without a CBS eye (although the eye is displayed on a background graphic, but I don't know how often that's used). And then there's the obvious rebranding of WIAT. Does anyone know why the LIN CBS affiliates have a tendency to distance themselves from the network?

It is not just an CBS thing, they are like that with the vast majority of their stations.

To answer your question, I think it is written in every Fox contract that they must brand with the network. On the top of my head the only one who has no Fox branding at all is WSVN in Miami.

I don't think Tribune is worried about their Fox stations, but the stations that are CW or MNTV affiliated, outside of the Top 10 markets.

The next affiliation that I feel Tribune is targeting is ABC in St Louis. The current agreement with KDNL expires next August, and Sinclair hasn't honored their commitments in regards to the market.

It is not just an CBS thing, they are like that with the vast majority of their stations. I think it is written in every Fox contract that they must brand with the network. On the top of my head the only one who has no Fox branding at all is WSVN in Miami.

And WDRB Louisville, I think they use "WDRB News".

I'm in shock here. This amounts to a game changer in Indy and something to watch for as other mention in other AFC markets because it looks like CBS and Tribune may be doing that to pacify Tribune to keep their part of the CW in some form.

I'll got deeper but I got to read up on the major effects here.

The next affiliation that I feel Tribune is targeting is ABC in St Louis. The current agreement with KDNL expires next August, and Sinclair hasn't honored their commitments in regards to the market ( ifABC requires news, they could pull the affiliation right now without recourse).

I'm surprised no affiliation agreement has an "underperform clause," in which the network could pull the affiliation if they don't meet a certain ratings threshold. Something like this would at least make the affiliated station try and improve their performance.

Guest NewsHound

I think we'll see "24 Hour News 8" take on a more serious meaning, as I've mentioned before.

It would be beneficial for WISH to snag up as much syndicated programming and sitcoms to fill their timeslot now, because by January 1st, its going to be a lot of Paid Programming if they don't.

I think we'll see "24 Hour News 8" take on a more serious meaning, as I've mentioned before.

WISH will become a KCAL or KRON. This is a serious game changer. What we have here is practically an entirely new station in Indianapolis. CW programming is moving to 4.2. What comes of "CBS 4" could rock the market. WTTV needs to pick up where WISH-TV left off. WISH-TV is number 1 at Noon and Strong at 11 thanks to the CBS lineup and the David Letterman connection afterwards. Once January hit, WTTV MUST have a News at Noon, 6PM and 11PM, if not more. It looks like Tribune wants to play ball here, so if they want to be successful right out the gate look for this that to happen.

It would be beneficial for WISH to snag up as much syndicated programming and sitcoms to fill their timeslot now, because by January 1st, its going to be a lot of Paid Programming if they don't.

Besides Expanded News, I can see some programming currently airing on WNDY moving to WISH-TV.

FOX59 aired a package explain the switch on the 4pm News. Larry Wert came to Indianapolis and made the announcement to the extremely shocked staff. The company president coming to your station is a huge deal. They are ready to play ball.

If Tribune is serious about upgrading their presence with CBS, it wouldn't surprise me to have them wrestle away CBS from Raycom in Cleveland, and reverse the swap that happened 20 years ago with WJW and WOIO. Even more so if Johnny Football can make something out of the Browns...

I actually would be shocked if that happened, because all signs point to "Fox 8" and "CBS 19" remaining that way for a long, long time.

Besides, the reason WHY it cannot happen is very simple: WJW is still in the middle of a long-term affiliation pact with Fox. They are required to be a Fox affiliate until 2017 with a VERY favorable reverse-compensation arrangement (I believe it is at or near ZERO reverse-compensation). Why give that up?

And WOIO is in a much better position now than what they were 12 years ago, or even two years ago. They aren't the dregs of the market, or a sore point for CBS. Rather, I'd argue that WOIO is one of the few post-94 CBS affiliates that has done quite well.

Furthermore, a whole generation (literally) has grown up accustomed to WJW as a Fox station. It would be pointless to switch, and stupid even.

I think it's shocking they're going to build a newscast from the ground up. The easiest way to do this would be to join the WTTV and WXIN news teams under a joint brand like "Indy News Now". I wonder if it's a CBS requirement, though.

That might be something new with CBS then, because they had no issue with WOIO LMA'ing WUAB from Steve "A-Team" Cannell, and then taking WUAB's "10 o'clock news" department as the backbone of WOIO's news department.

I'm surprised no affiliation agreement has an "underperform clause," in which the network could pull the affiliation if they don't meet a certain ratings threshold. Something like this would at least make the affiliated station try and improve their performance.

Except that the local station has zero control over the programming provided by the network. A good network program is going to get virtually the same rating regardless of whether it's on a dominant affiliate or a weak affiliate.

There are also some stations that replace network programming with syndicated reruns, old movies or infomercials if the network shows do poorly either locally or nationally.

Sure they do--unless you think they're getting more out of the retrans agreement. Why have a middleman for the revenue stream when Colts games can bring in big bucks directly?

If they wanted to be in Indy so bad, then why did they sell WNDY to Lin?

Archived