Josh Elliott Coming Soon To "Today"

jmkcool2002

A month maybe? Doesn't seem like it was that long.

I thought it was longer. I think the earliest he was on air was during the Triple Crown but hasn't appeared since.

He seems to be a lot of voice overs lately. Just this past month for Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic narrated a fascinating hour long commercial free look at the US Naval Academy's sea trials.

NFL Films and "Today" forming a partnership to collab on stories throughout the year http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2014/09/josh-elliott-will-be-making-his-today.html

How long was Josh Elliott's no compete clause again?

I was thinking about this the other day. Josh and Sam both made stupid decisions with respect to their careers. They've both been buried on channels a lot of people don't watch.

I was thinking about this the other day. Josh and Sam both made stupid decisions with respect to their careers. They've both been buried on channels a lot of people don't watch.

Honestly, having some time to let some things play out, I think they made decent decisions. Sam's move might seem like a step down, but the role he plays behind the scenes is large when you look at broadcast meteorology as a whole. It also moved him closer to his husband's Miami stomping grounds, making the back-and-forth a little easier. Josh, on the other hand, is going to have to be patient. If NBC tries to dump him on the Today show as anything more than a contributor, he's in trouble. If he lets time pass, he is setting himself up for the #2 hosting gig for the Olympics come 2016 (Al Michaels is going to retire at some point), and there's no reason why he wouldn't be a suitable successor to Bob Costas...even if it takes the better part of a decade. That would definitely be a good move over the long term.

Honestly, having some time to let some things play out, I think they made decent decisions. Sam's move might seem like a step down, but the role he plays behind the scenes is large when you look at broadcast meteorology as a whole. It also moved him closer to his husband's Miami stomping grounds, making the back-and-forth a little easier. Josh, on the other hand, is going to have to be patient. If NBC tries to dump him on the Today show as anything more than a contributor, he's in trouble. If he lets time pass, he is setting himself up for the #2 hosting gig for the Olympics come 2016 (Al Michaels is going to retire at some point), and there's no reason why he wouldn't be a suitable successor to Bob Costas...even if it takes the better part of a decade. That would definitely be a good move over the long term.

While I agree with all you said, the less they're on screen the more likely they are to lose their star power. In today's world, people are all about the now and have already forgotten about the yesterday. They may have been good personal moves, but I don't think they were good career moves.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I definitely enjoy watching CBSN, and I've really enjoyed watching him as news reader on GMA. This is a great development for both. And he came at the right time because of election season.

This oughta be great.

When I think Josh, I don't think hard news. He's great at what he does, I just don't feel he's a good fit at CBS.

When I think Josh, I don't think hard news. He's great at what he does, I just don't feel he's a good fit at CBS.

Ehh, that's fine.

When I watch GMA, I definitely never see him as "hard news" like George Stephanopolous or Amy Robach, but I do think he can handle hard news in doses as correspondent and do the odd human-interest story, like I mentioned above during his tenure as newsreader. I just hope they know what his strengths and weaknesses are for him to last longer here than at NBC.

So after having left NBC a few months ago.... Josh is joining CBS News as an anchor for CBSN. http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/josh-elliott-joining-cbs-news/285925

Probably a bit of an ego deflater to go from anchor of the #1 morning television show to being an anchor for an internet news channel. Will be interesting to see where else CBS uses him (as a correspondent and/or a sub anchor).

Archived