2014-15 DMAs released

Samantha

Nashville has been stuck at 29 for the last few years. Considering the building boom and a fast population growth they've been experiencing lately, I thought they would actually move up this time.

That can be a frustrating thing for stations. Seeing lots of growth in their market, but still not moving up the rankings. The reason for that is simple: the markets ahead of Nashville are growing just as much if not more.

I don't understand these losses:

Dallas-Fort Worth --

2013-2014 2,655,290 HH

2014-2015 2,603,680

Tyler-Longview --

2013-2014 270,750 HH

2014-2015 265,070

Amarillo --

2013-2014 198,540 HH

2014-2015 194,670

Nielsen must have some different kind of abacus or slide rule to make their HH calculations. I know DFW is growing by ~350 to ~400 people average per day. I'm not up on the rates of the other 2 markets, but I know there are *many* more homes in Amarillo than there were when I was living there. I don't know what Nielsen is puffing on but they need to try again.

That can be a frustrating thing for stations. Seeing lots of growth in their market, but still not moving up the rankings. The reason for that is simple: the markets ahead of Nashville are growing just as much if not more.

What if you're Cincinnati? Your market is already chopped up with Dayton and, to a lesser extent, Lexington and you're dropping like a rock. I can't believe they're now 36.

Columbus would be No. 31 if not for Zanesville being a separate market.

Meanwhile, Anchorage (#147) and Fairbanks (#202) remain unchanged as far as Alaska is concerned.

But I doubt Fairbanks will ever get out of the 200's anytime soon, which explains why they've always been a crummy broadcasting market with six over-the-air TV stations (ABC with CW on a sub-channel, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, and TBN) and a handful of radio stations. And they're no longer the state's second largest city; Juneau has surpassed them (I wonder if my move to Atlanta last fall had something to do with it).

What if you're Cincinnati? Your market is already chopped up with Dayton and, to a lesser extent, Lexington and you're dropping like a rock. I can't believe they're now 36.

Athens County Ohio has gone back and forth between Charleston-Huntington and Columbus over the past several years. It's probably not enough to register a blip since the population is grossly inflated by Ohio University students during the school year.

Lima has seen swings since it's a multi county DMA and one of the counties has been in and out before, causing the DMA to shoot up and down the lower ranks.

• San Antonio SKYROCKETS from 36 to 33, passing Salt Lake, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati.
  • Austin moves up a spot to 39, as cbs4dallas previously stated.

Good. We are the seventh largest city but still the 33rd media market. At least this reflects us more because we are way bigger than SLC, Milwaukee or Cincinnati.

As for Austin, really? One spot? I thought they would've been like 35 this year, oh well, maybe next year. Austin is growing rapidly and this jump reflects that.

Also, remember, Nielsen calculates based on total viewing households in the market, not population. So an area like OKC may be growing, but maybe people there aren't watching as much TV and are ditching that... That also explains the various discrepancies between cities and DMA rank.

Guest Former Member 207

Some of the nicest and wealthiest suburbs in the United States. Oakland County is among the most affluent counties in the United States with populations over one million.

Here are the population statistics for the metro area with percentage increase/decrease:

1950 3,016,197 —

1960 3,762,360 24.7%

1970 4,307,470 14.5%

1980 4,353,365 1.1%

1990 4,382,299 0.7%

2000 4,452,557 1.6%

2010 4,296,250 −3.5%

Est. 2013 4,294,983

Oakland County (Southfield, Auburn Hills, Pontiac) is also home of the bulk of Detroit's TV/radio media; the only TV station in Detroit proper is WDIV.

Columbus is poised to be in the top 30 market in the next few years, Detroit sad to see them plummet idk about that. Houston, Atlanta should be in the top 5-7 status. Cincinnati another market that falling, but very competitive market.

Oakland County (Southfield, Auburn Hills, Pontiac) is also home of the bulk of Detroit's TV/radio media; the only TV station in Detroit proper is WDIV.

Basically it's all in Southfield and all 2 miles or less north of 8 Mile Rd. Which is the Detroit city limit.

Nielsen must have some different kind of abacus or slide rule to make their HH calculations. I know DFW is growing by ~350 to ~400 people average per day. I'm not up on the rates of the other 2 markets, but I know there are *many* more homes in Amarillo than there were when I was living there. I don't know what Nielsen is puffing on but they need to try again.

You have to take into account that Neilsen only counts households that have televisions.

If you have 100 HH that move into an area, all of whom set up some sort of TV service, but 200 that ditch TV - including OTA for internet services like Hulu, Netflix or just torrenting, then you have a net loss of 100 HH. An increase in population can still result in a decrease in television households (and in my opinion will continue to do so unless cable changes it's business model or Neilsen changes their definition of a 'television household').

Currently advertisers don't accept time-shifted or online viewers, so Neilsen doesn't count them; even though they can (as is my understanding). There are plenty of people who do this as well. I, personally, cannot even receive OTA television (as my TV is old and analog).

I don't understand these losses:

Dallas-Fort Worth --

2013-2014 2,655,290 HH

2014-2015 2,603,680

Tyler-Longview --

2013-2014 270,750 HH

2014-2015 265,070

Amarillo --

2013-2014 198,540 HH

2014-2015 194,670

DMA's are not static. Nielsen moves counties (or portions thereof) in and out of DMA's periodically due to viewing patterns. tyrannical bastard brought this up on the last page. As pointed out the Lima and Dayton DMA's have seen dramatic swings due to Auglaize County moving back and forth between the two over the last handful of years.

This is of course on top of normal population shifts.

I don't know for sure. But, if I was going to wager a guess I'd say some counties (or portions of) moved around in Texas this year. It might help explain San Antonio's big jump as well.

You have to take into account that Neilsen only counts households that have televisions.

If you have 100 HH that move into an area, all of whom set up some sort of TV service, but 200 that ditch TV - including OTA for internet services like Hulu, Netflix or just torrenting, then you have a net loss of 100 HH. An increase in population can still result in a decrease in television households (and in my opinion will continue to do so unless cable changes it's business model or Neilsen changes their definition of a 'television household').

Your somewhat correct.

As of the start of last years rating period (2013-14) Nielsen changed the definition of a television household to "Nielsen’s new definition of a TV household states that homes must have at least one operable TV/monitor with the ability to deliver video via traditional means of antennae, cable set-top-box or satellite receiver and/or with a broadband connection." However, they later choose exclude broadband-only homes until this year.

Nielsen was calling the streaming-only households "zero tv households" even if they had a TV. But, barring another reversal (which I don't see happening) households that rely solely on streaming but, have a TV will now be counted as "TV households" going forward.

Currently advertisers don't accept time-shifted or online viewers, so Neilsen doesn't count them; even though they can (as is my understanding). There are plenty of people who do this as well. I, personally, cannot even receive OTA television (as my TV is old and analog).

Umm... Advertisers have been buying based C3 numbers for awhile now.

From Nielsen: "Since 2007, the TV industry has used commercial ratings, not program ratings, to negotiate the price of TV advertising. Nielsen developed C3 in consultation with clients and input from the industry to incorporate time-shifted viewing into TV ratings. C3 measures the average commercial minutes viewed during live programming plus three days of Digital Video Recorder (DVR), Video on Demand (VOD) and Internet playback."

And, Nielsen has given their TV ratings in Live, Live+SD (Same Day) or Live+7 (7 Days) for quite some time. So, DVR and VOD playback have been included in the TV ratings for several years provided the spot load is the same. And, starting this year Online/Mobile Viewing will be aggregated into the applicable TV ratings as well again provided the spot load remains the same.

Could someone explain to me (preferably with maps showing signal interference) why Hagerstown is part of DMA 8 Washington, D.C.?

From here it looks like there is a dead zone, shouldn't it be alone.

I live about an hour north of Hagerstown (in PA) and it doesn't make sense. Hagerstown needs to be its own DMA, but that would involve the Johnstown, PA DMA to be redrawn... as well as Harrisburg, Baltimore and DC.

Umm... Advertisers have been buying based C3 numbers for awhile now.

From Nielsen: "Since 2007, the TV industry has used commercial ratings, not program ratings, to negotiate the price of TV advertising. Nielsen developed C3 in consultation with clients and input from the industry to incorporate time-shifted viewing into TV ratings. C3 measures the average commercial minutes viewed during live programming plus three days of Digital Video Recorder (DVR), Video on Demand (VOD) and Internet playback."

And, Nielsen has given their TV ratings in Live, Live+SD (Same Day) or Live+7 (7 Days) for quite some time. So, DVR and VOD playback have been included in the TV ratings for several years provided the spot load is the same. And, starting this year Online/Mobile Viewing will be aggregated into the applicable TV ratings as well again provided the spot load remains the same.

I have no doubt I misunderstood what I read. Neilsen may as well be calculus to me. I probably should have just kept quiet. :|

Archived