2014-15 DMAs released

Samantha

the way the media is making Detroit's bankruptcy, how can they still be such a big market? What makes Detroit a large market after all these years of their collapse?

The city lost 1.3 million people due to white flight, the overall Metro Detroit area has gone from 4.3 million to 3.6 million, so the decline is only 700,000 people.

Well, thanks to FTVLive, we have the 2014-15 DMAs.

Phoenix moves up to 11 (by 1,000 HH) and Tampa to 13, with corresponding jumps down for Detroit and Seattle. Charlotte surpasses Raleigh-Durham for the only other change in the top 25.

Wish there was a way for them to compare households from this year compared to last year per market.

They release that too, the last 3 or 4 years have had a chart put out by Nielsen, we just have to find it.

Usually TVB posts it here, but they are not up yet.

Pittsburgh moved past Portland for 22 as well. Other notables:

• Indianapolis moves past San Diego for 27.
  • San Antonio SKYROCKETS from 36 to 33, passing Salt Lake, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati.
  • Austin moves up a spot to 39, as cbs4dallas previously stated.
  • Norfolk moves from 45 to 42, OKC from 41 to 44.

Hopefully once the change table comes out we will be able to see the big movers.

• San Antonio SKYROCKETS from 36 to 33, passing Salt Lake, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati.

Hopefully once the change table comes out we will be able to see the big movers.

San Diego has been at 28 for several years now.

What did I say last year?

You know what. Since the city's bankruptcy declaration, I seriously thought that they would lose their #11 spot this time around. I know the whole market not only includes the city proper, but it appears it has grown nearly 10,500 from a year ago. But look at Phoenix, which moved to #12. They are only behind Detroit by about 1,100.

Could Phoenix dethrone Detroit in the #11 spot next year?!!

And look. It has finally happened. Phoenix detrones Detroit in the #11 spot.

I'm also shocked San Antonio jumped to #33. I strongly thought that Austin would edge closer to be larger than San Antonio.

OKC dropped? I thought that area was growing.

Well, thanks to FTVLive, we have the 2014-15 DMAs.

Phoenix moves up to 11 (by 1,000 HH) and Tampa to 13, with corresponding jumps down for Detroit and Seattle. Charlotte surpasses Raleigh-Durham for the only other change in the top 25.

I can't help but think some of these markets are inflated, geographically speaking, attributing far more counties to the DMA than the signal actually reaches. I know all markets are like this to some extent, but some are really a reach.

the way the media is making Detroit's bankruptcy, how can they still be such a big market? What makes Detroit a large market after all these years of their collapse?

Suburbs and outlying areas.

Some of the nicest and wealthiest suburbs in the United States. Oakland County is among the most affluent counties in the United States with populations over one million.

Here are the population statistics for the metro area with percentage increase/decrease:

1950 3,016,197 —

1960 3,762,360 24.7%

1970 4,307,470 14.5%

1980 4,353,365 1.1%

1990 4,382,299 0.7%

2000 4,452,557 1.6%

2010 4,296,250 −3.5%

Est. 2013 4,294,983

Archived