WGCL management changes...AGAIN.

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

TVSpy reports that GM Trey Fabacher is out, this news comes just after it was announced that Larry Perret became the new News Director at WGCL, to replace Lane Michaelsen who left in July. Now, both of the masterminds behind the refresh to CBS 46 are out, it makes me wonder how long it will take before CBS Atlanta returns...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/trey-fabacher-out-at-wgcl_b128826

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/larry-perret-new-wgcl-news-director_b128850

Somebody needs to stop the revolving door. I really wish CBS would just move the affiliation to WUPA and end this madness already.

You never know, maybe the new station management will recognize the failure that is WGCL and adjust the station accordingly.

If CBS decides it's had enough and moves its affiliation, WPCH might not be a bad choice; if Turner sells the license and terminates the Meredith LMA, I could see a CBS-owned WPCH taking the CBS affiliation.

You never know, maybe the new station management will recognize the failure that is WGCL and adjust the station accordingly.

If CBS decides it's had enough and moves its affiliation, WPCH might not be a bad choice; if Turner sells the license and terminates the Meredith LMA, I could see a CBS-owned WPCH taking the CBS affiliation.

Why would CBS move the affiliation from WGCL? If ratings/changes, etc. were a reason or concern, they would have stripped the affiliation long ago. As long as CBS gets its rev. comp money, they will not care what happens behind the scenes at 46. They will not take the CBS affiliation in house, either to WUPA or WPCH as that will require a lot of capital to startup- it's probably one of the reasons why they never moved the affiliation back to KSTW in Seattle. If it costs money, CBS will look the other way.

Why would CBS move the affiliation from WGCL? If ratings/changes, etc. were a reason or concern, they would have stripped the affiliation long ago. As long as CBS gets its rev. comp money, they will not care what happens behind the scenes at 46. They will not take the CBS affiliation in house, either to WUPA or WPCH as that will require a lot of capital to startup- it's probably one of the reasons why they never moved the affiliation back to KSTW in Seattle. If it costs money, CBS will look the other way.

And with talk of CBS selling some of its radio stations, it could start by selling its Atlanta and Seattle clusters, along with St Louis, Cleveland and Hartford.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WGCL's affiliation tied in with KCTV and KPHO, pretty much how S!nclair ties in KDNL's contract with WSYX and others. So CBS would never be able to move the affiliation, even if they wanted to.

What WGCL needs is a Bill Applegate-type figure. It worked for WOIO.

WGCL does at least have a functioning (or rather, dysfunctional) news department, and Meredith has demonstrated that it is otherwise capable of running competitive TV stations. The big issue with KDNL is their total lack of any real local presence.

Also, WGCL is the only station that Meredith owns that's in a top ten market.

Another case in point WWJ. CBS just want a presence in Detroit regardless of whether or not they have a news operation. At least WGCL has that, they just need consistent leadership instead of this revolving door nonsense.

They're bringing someone from KCTV which is proof that Meredith can do a good job running a CBS affiliate if it has the right leadership. Might be hard to take down WSB but I think they could take portions of WXIA and WAGA if the right people are in charge. I haven't watch much of WGCL since the last rebrand but that station had way too much fluff for my taste.

And with talk of CBS selling some of its radio stations, it could start by selling its Atlanta and Seattle clusters, along with St Louis, Cleveland and Hartford.

That will only happen if CBS finds a buyer that will pay what CBS wants for those clusters.

The list of buyers is shockingly small (Cumulus, Townsquare and Alpha are the only three that come to mind; Cumulus is leveraged beyond belief, and Townsquare and Alpha make very strategic purchases), and if you think that CBS would be offering them at fire sale rates, think again.

As I've said elsewhere, I expect CBS to keep those radio stations, but if they are sold, I wouldn't be surprised, either. Selling them is not a priority.

Another case in point WWJ. CBS just want a presence in Detroit regardless of whether or not they have a news operation. At least WGCL has that, they just need consistent leadership instead of this revolving door nonsense.

They're bringing someone from KCTV which is proof that Meredith can do a good job running a CBS affiliate if it has the right leadership. Might be hard to take down WSB but I think they could take portions of WXIA and WAGA if the right people are in charge. I haven't watch much of WGCL since the last rebrand but that station had way too much fluff for my taste.

KCTV's ND was only there for 11 months and I don't particularly think he did anything of note while there.

As for my comment about CBS buying them, Meredith obviously can't handle them and has wrecked the station. I's time to give it to someone that knows what they're doing.

KCTV's ND was only there for 11 months and I don't particularly think he did anything of note while there.

As for my comment about CBS buying them, Meredith obviously can't handle them and has wrecked the station. I's time to give it to someone that knows what they're doing.

The only thing that stands out is he gave his buddy Jim Kosek a job when (Perret's old station) KTVX's new management let him go. Maybe somebody he'd want to bring to Atlanta? Since going from chief in SLC to weekends in KC is kind of a downgrade...

Like I said, it's Meredith's only station in a top ten market. Much as it struggles, Meredith would have trouble parting with it because it's in market #9, though that could also be a selling point.

It's probably still profitable regardless of how low the ratings are for their newscasts. As I said, they're in a tough market against a heritage station that's a dominant powerhouse in that market (WSB), another one that's still going strong (WAGA), another one that's doing ok but has seen better days (WXIA). WGCL is facing the same issue that stations like KDNL, WWJ, WDJT, etc. are facing and probably will never resolve.

I don't see why Meredith would ever sell a Top 10 station just because of bad ratings.

But what if Meredith doesn't want to sell? Clearly they don't think they've "wrecked" WGCL, and they have operational control over WPCH.

I'd compare them to the post-1999 Cleveland Browns. A team that has been in a perpetual rebuilding state, but never had anything "built" in the first place.

I think Time Warner (Turner) is going to end up selling WPCH before WGCL ever changes hands. And if Meredith grows big enough that it has to divest properties to get choice opportunites, AND WGCL is STILL in the toilet, then WGCL could be sold.

Sometime, WGCL is going to get their groove. But in the case of WOIO rising to prominence, they have the success of CBS and the misfortunes of WEWS to blame as well. WXIA's recent stumbles could play a factor, but unseating WSB is going to be extremely difficult in Atlanta.

It's probably still profitable regardless of how low the ratings are for their newscasts. As I said, they're in a tough market against a heritage station that's a dominant powerhouse in that market (WSB), another one that's still going strong (WAGA), another one that's doing ok but has seen better days (WXIA). WGCL is facing the same issue that stations like KDNL, WWJ, WDJT, etc. are facing and probably will never resolve.

I don't see why Meredith would ever sell a Top 10 station just because of bad ratings.

It been 20 years for most of these CBS/FOX switches in many of the markets that took part of them.

WOIO19- CBS switched from WJW to WOIO 9/12/1994 and WJW had an already established station that fought with WEWS for the top ratings. WKYC made some strong moves, but WOIO ended up merging with WUAB to create a news outlet. During the most of the 90s up until early 2000s 19/WOIO was dog crap until the mighty Bill Applegate came in and wreck shop. 19 has been the success story out of all the CBS/FOX switch.

KPHO5- CBS switched from KSAZ to KPHO 9/12/1994 and the already three established stations KSAZ, KTVK, KPNX all had top tier station and KPHO was an Indy outlet, but Meredith pour some money into the station to beef up the resources. However KTVK would lose their ABC affiliation to KNXV to create (5) newsrooms in the market. Now 20 yrs late KTVK/KPHO are joined at the hip, but it would behoove Tribune to pick up KTVK (IMO)

WGCL46 (WGNX) CBS switched from WAGA to WGNX/now WGCL on 12/11/1994 WAGA already #2 behind WSB, but ratings dive when the switched happened and WXIA was fighting with WAGA for #2. NBC was on top network and the 96 Olympic games which was on NBC would differently help WXIA. WGNX had a 10pm newscast which has been on the air since 1988. Tribune was into the Indy outlets with heavy syndication, but it took a couple of years for 46 to get a Noon and evening broadcast, but in 1999 Tribune sold the station to Meredith and had all these plans that have changed their on-air branding numerous times in 20 years. With this station the beat goes on, and Bill Applegate would differently be the key to move them out of the gutter.

WWJ62 (WGPR) CBS switched from WJBK on 12/11/1994 and WJBK had been in third place for a long time while WXYZ and WDIV had top dog status in town. CBS said they would get a news outlet by 1995/1996 but never materialize. 20 years later no news outlet in Detroit a market that was #5 decades ago now #12. CBS owns the top rated Newsradio WWJ, but there are those that feel why should CBS invest in a news outlet in Detroit?

WDTJ58 CBS switched from WITI on 12/11/1994 and WITI having a heavy base news outlet in Milwaukee with strong competition from WTMJ and WISN. 58 would become CBS and not sure if it took them a while to obtain a news outlet, but out of all the CBS/FOX switch nobody ever talks about them. Detroit, Atlanta and Cleveland both get alot of noise about their news outlets and switches from 20 years ago.

WTSP10 CBS switched from WTVT on 12/12/1994 and WTVT was the big powerhouse and dominated the market. WTSP was the ABC affiliate in third place. It already had an established outlet. ABC would move to WFTS and for WTSP CBS and some ownership changes help them out. Tampa market seems to be very competitive 20 years later.

KTVT11 CBS switched from KDFW on 7/1/1995 from the established Channel 4 News and then Gaylord station took the CBS affiliation with an independent station with a news outlet. However CBS bought the station and over the last decade it has dethrone big bad WFAA from top dog status.

KEYE42 (KVBO) CBS switched from KTBC on 7/1/1995 from the top station in the market and 42 was once the FOX affiliate again not sure of their history, but I know they had a news outlet, but over the years many ownership changes and on- air talent changes. Now it a Sinclair station.

So after 20 years WOIO, KPHO, KTVT and WTSP have done well, but the others seem to have struggle or fell flat. Yes, CBS has the top network in daytime, primetime and CBS News is still skewed to an older demographic. WGCL, KEYE, WDTJ seem to be the ones that have made strides but continue to struggle. WWJ well you can basically YAWN when you continue to ask will they ever get a news outlet:(

So they can fix it up and make it into their image a respectable CBS affiliate as well as give them a presence in a large market. Meredith has failed them.

No they haven't. CBS only cares that they get their money and that their programming is seen in the market- Meredith/WGCL complies with both. They do not care what happens at a local affiliate's news division. IIRC, many of the CBS O&O's are not top stations in their markets either, so I doubt CBS coming in will make things any better. For as long as WGCL has been in the crapper, KCBS has been right there with it as well. The only reason KCBS has been improving somewhat is thanks to the problems at KTTV and before that- KNBC.

So they can fix it up and make it into their image a respectable CBS affiliate as well as give them a presence in a large market. Meredith has failed them.

If that really mattered, they would've put more effort into WWJ in Detroit (and that's an O&O). The CBS affiliation isn't going anywhere as far as Atlanta is concerned.

Archived