Meet the Press is Getting A New Set

morningnewsexecutive

Isn't this set like 2+ years old? When has it first been on air

Why does there need to be a new one? I thought the last one can maintain a few more years.

That set is about 4 years old. Maybe they're planning on maybe repurposing it for something else. Perhaps WRC might move in there after a refresh of things like WNBC with the old Nightly studio. I do agree it's way too early to rip it up.

Must be nice to throw money away like that. Does Comcast not say anything when perfectly good sets get replaced at NBC?

As long as NBC can convince the top brass that it's good for profits (i.e. "Completely overhauling the look of the show will bring in viewers/ratings/precious ad dollars!!") they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Here in Europe sets can get place in days.

- The new Antena3 Noticias set was installed overnight

- Good Morning Britain's set in less than a week

- ITV's Lorraine set in a weekend

- Loose Women in two days

It's only when they do back end work that it takes longer.

I still haven't figured out how they plan on doing a set in less than two weeks, when normally it takes months. Interested to see the final result.

I would think it can be done quickly. I almost think they will keep the rear projection elements the same and maybe the bookcases but change the desk and other stuff.

The Nightly News reconfiguration was done in less than a week and that included moving the former background wall to a different part of the studio.

MSNBC when they expanded studio 3K (half of the studio was the virtual studio for elections) they took about a week. Then during the Sochi Olympics they stripped the studio of its bookshelves, redid the floors, changed the wooden finishes to metal in about a week and a half.

You are so right. My local station of preference when they did their HD conversion, they were out of their studio for six months. Then again they decided to do everything in one fall swoop included all new infrastructure.

My local station of preference when they did their HD conversion, they were out of their studio for six months. Then again they decided to do everything in one fall swoop included all new infrastructure.

Do you have pics or video of those sets, because that sounds interesting.

Well, maybe the set refresh was done overnight, but when Antena 3 first installed their set in 2011, they were in a temporary setup for over 3 months. It took that long because they completely remodeled the floor that houses the set and newsroom. Previously, the news set sat above an open newsroom and when the new set debuted, it was in the middle of the newsroom. This most recent refresh included a much smaller plexiglass desk, some gray graphics/branding on the platform where the desk is situated at and an LED banner that goes above the gigantic screen and around the set.

Do you have pics or video of those sets, because that sounds interesting.

It was WBAL. They broadcasted from a recently converted studio to newsroom. They used a two anchor desk (that's still used) that had a plasma screen that could pop up and block out the desk behind it. The desk is the same style that's currently used at WCVB. They then had these two three feet wide but 15 feet tall dura tran like material that could be raised when they wanted to block out the activity in the back. Weather & Sports used a chroma key studio. was done in They used the temporary set from mid May 2008 - Janaury 2, 2009.

Here's a YouTube video showing the temporary set.

[yt]r8JknVueWaA[/yt]

Here's the after.

They actually built a completely separate system from scratch so they didn't have to say change the router in one night. It was a new build so they didn't have to deal with engineering scar tissue (old wires and the like). Once it was off the air they removed the old systems.

Well, maybe the set refresh was done overnight, but when Antena 3 first installed their set in 2011, they were in a temporary setup for over 3 months. It took that long because they completely remodeled the floor that houses the set and newsroom. Previously, the news set sat above an open newsroom and when the new set debuted, it was in the middle of the newsroom. This most recent refresh included a much smaller plexiglass desk, some gray graphics/branding on the platform where the desk is situated at and an LED banner that goes above the gigantic screen and around the set.

I know (the very biased) Telediario on La1 took a week to get installed, and the Espejo Publico updates on A3 didn't take too long either. But then although I live in Spain I can't watch Spanish news for the fact it's so biased towards the party in power, one of the reasons I don't want the BBC either.

It's hard to tell just from those photos...will have to see it on tv this Sunday morning. I just hope Chuck actually has the panel ask questions and not just sit there in the background.

It looks like a cheaper version of the old one really.

They did leave the structural elements in place. But this studio looks like it could be the political junkies den of The Today Show house - where they seem to be styled the same way. I also like how the long rectangular element with the logo on the round table's desk looks like the one on WRC's new desk.

Also I just realized the old Meet The Press studio was more inline with msnbc's studio 3K aesthetic wise.

• 4 weeks later...

Today the broadcast the show from NY from 3B. They moved out the nightly news desk and put in this square glass top table where it's base was made up of 12 stars stacked on top of one another curving slightly and painted red, white and blue. It looked pretty neat.

Archived