CBS Launching 24hr News Channel "CBSN"

DMA

Cool insight into what's happening when the CBS Newsroom shuts off by night:

http://t.co/9GXeRGE5k1

That's so cool. I love the radio on TV, the setups where they put a little flash cam and not make it fully a TV studio. They also don't have to abide by dress codes such as wearing a suit ether. I also like the ID badge, because you know any major multi network environment dictates you must wear your badge at all times, but of course the rules break when the talent is on the air! I guess I like the "real" nature of it

So, Eric Fisher seems to be the go-to meteorologist. But when they use him, they use WBZ's graphics... which have a huge AccuWeather logo on them. That's violating something, right?

On Eric Fisher, well since he just came from TWC, it's probably a logical option, give the national audience a familiar face.

That must have been an oversight; they are typically sans-WBZ branding when on the network

I bet that's a production mistake. It's not been abnormal for CBS O&Os to show the graphic nationally, since WFOR uses the generic wx graphics on the network during hurricane season. They used to use special graphics before.

So, Eric Fisher seems to be the go-to meteorologist. But when they use him, they use WBZ's graphics... which have a huge AccuWeather logo on them. That's violating something, right?

On Eric Fisher, well since he just came from TWC, it's probably a logical option, give the national audience a familiar face.

The "house" meteorologist before him was WFOR's David Bernard before he left Florida.

They could. But remember that WCBS's evening weather anchor is not a meteorologist.

Well they could use Elise or John and I don't think you necessarily have to be a certified meteorologist to do a national forecast? I mean look at Al Roker I don't think he's a certified meteorologist and he forecasts the weather nationally.

Well they could use Elise or John and I don't think you necessarily have to be a certified meteorologist to do a national forecast? I mean look at Al Roker I don't think he's a certified meteorologist and he forecasts the weather nationally.

But it's Al Roker...

They could. But remember that WCBS's evening weather anchor is not a meteorologist.

what the hell is a "certified" meteorologists? I didn't think it was a skilled trade? I thought that was invented by creative services.

I've seen the AMS Certified bug, but I'm not sure if thats official or not. I thought it was they were a member and paid dues but that badge of honor isn't going to make them more accurate in forecasting....

what the hell is a "certified" meteorologists? I didn't think it was a skilled trade? I thought that was invented by creative services.

I've seen the AMS Certified bug, but I'm not sure if thats official or not. I thought it was they were a member and paid dues but that badge of honor isn't going to make them more accurate in forecasting....

Nope, it's real. http://www.ametsoc.org/amscert/.

The Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) program was established to raise the professional standard in broadcast meteorology and encourage a broader range of scientific understanding, especially with respect to environmental issues. The goal of the CBM program is to certify that the holder meets specific educational and experience criteria and has passed rigorous testing in their knowledge and communication of meteorology and related sciences needed to be an effective broadcast meteorologist.

In order to acquire a CBM, new applicants must hold a degree in meteorology (or equivalent) from an accredited college/university, pass a written examination, and have their work reviewed to assess graphical content, explanation, and presentation. All CBMs may retain their certification and display the CBM logo as long as they pay their membership and renewal fees each year and complete a 28 point professional development requirements every five years.

So funny they have that certification and yet they still screw up the forecasts. Maybe that WCBS anchor is actually a better option because I'd trust someone with a journalism background before a meteorologist any day.

Lonnie is most likely not the one making the forecasts at WCBS. They have a weather producer who is an actual meteorologist preparing the forecasts behind the scenes.

So funny they have that certification and yet they still screw up the forecasts. Maybe that WCBS anchor is actually a better option because I'd trust someone with a journalism background before a meteorologist any day.

You've got to be kidding. No offense, but I bet you also think that whoever does the forecasts just pulls some numbers out of their ass and relishes in the glory of being able to be wrong?

You've got to be kidding. No offense, but I bet you also think that whoever does the forecasts just pulls some numbers out of their ass and relishes in the glory of being able to be wrong?

No, no you misunderstood me.

Younger meteorologists who didn't grow up in the chalkboard or the china marker on the clear pulldown maps (or have any clue like a Don Kent from my neck of the woods) have so many tools and resources where they can't really do it themselves. Some of the younger meteorologists really rely on the models that appear on the screen.

One time last month WMUR's Josh Judge (one of the old timers in the region, no offense to him!) was giving the Saturday forecast where their self-touted Futurecast was showing the rain leaving the region around late afternoon, and he said something like "I think the computer is being a little optimistic." If my memory serves, it did clear out per to that Futurecast, but I wouldn't imagine a younger meteorologist make statements like that just given how tech apt they are; they'll believe anything they see.

But I'd love to see a change in the weather departments, people with a journalistic background where they can question the forecast and give the forecast with a skeptical tone. I should have a shot for every time my grandmother does a skeptical laugh or "surrreee" and mock the "Stttayyyy tuuuuunneed" line. I always love people who can challenge the skeptics. Maybe that's where the weather should be going to, anchors, or people with different backgrounds, maybe get MDs like Frank Field or lawyer like Dave Frankel (if I am not mistaken, that Philly guy.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't know if I should create a new thread or not, but if I'm not mistaken...CBSN has some new graphics now.

They look really nice and clean, and added a white byline on the bottom for title and on top for name of a story.

I think they look really great, and much better than the last package, which looked fine, but were clunky and boxy.

• 1 month later...

This morning I happen to tune into CBSN on my phone, the coverage of the Navy Yards in D.C. was a simulcast from WUSA, the CBS affiliate in D.C. Any thoughts on why? BTW it was around 8:00 AM.

Umm... CBS? Uh uh CBS affiliate? Connections?

This one's pretty obvious. WUSA = CBS = CBSN = connections to local news coverage from CBS affiliates.

This morning I happen to tune into CBSN on my phone, the coverage of the Navy Yards in D.C. was a simulcast from WUSA, the CBS affiliate in D.C. Any thoughts on why? BTW it was around 8:00 AM.

Maybe CBS was trying to get a crew there (from WJZ or otherwise) and they needed something to fill the time?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived