Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Don't forget about all of these renderings of potential logos for WGN America, which were posted by the artist who they approached for a new logo design in 2013 (and for the record, I'm glad they decided against calling the station "GNA").

Personally, this one is my favorite out of the bunch.

WGNA_Logos_ForCaseStudy_01_00025.jpg

It resembles the "Code Pro" font and I think it'd suit the 80s-style "9" well.

• Like 1

Did the WGN font in that logo resemble the font used for WGN America?

WGN-America.jpg

If it looked anything like that, then maybe they're considering going for more consistency with the "WGN" brand, considering WGN Radio uses a similar font. I really hope to see them change the logo and use the classic style 9, I think it's about time for a logo upgrade and it'd be a more recognizable and remarkable one I think. And I remember when WGN's non-news Twitter account used that retro "9" as their icon, so maybe it's something that they've been wanting to do for a while.

Yeah, it did look very similar to the WGN America logo, with the 9 placed after the WGN logo.

• Like 1

That's awesome! I'm gonna try my hand at a mock-up of this later on. I think it'll be a cool-looking logo if it does end up getting used, much better than the current one that replaced the old "W6N" looking logo (not that the current one is bad in any way, but this would be a nice upgrade and I kind of like the retro look, and it'd also go along with their affiliates KTLA and PIX11 using somewhat retro logo styles).

EDIT: Made my own mock-up of what this might have looked like. Thanks, Spring Rubber, for the description of this. Hope it's close to what they obviously accidentally showed off too early.

6ZI1OQj.png

• Like 5

Chicagos Best is getting a spinoff of sorts. S.E.E. Chicago (Shopping, Entertainment and Events) is gonna air at 1030pm Sundays starting this weekend on WGN. Some nutritionist/author/reality show veteran named Dawn Jackson Blatner hosts.

• Like 1

I tried my hand at This logo thing. I don't like the spacing of the letters in the WGN logo (I feel the letters are too close), but I like the font.

I figured the perfect "9" to go with the pseudo-retro font would be a revitalization of their retro "Square 9" logo, and a typeface that would match that with the slogan.

Much like their WGN Radio logo, this logo reflects the WGN of yesterday, but because it keeps the same layout as the current logo, it doesn't take away the familiarity of the station.

Behold:

WGN-1.thumb.jpg.182baf2fb89f827b5aa19bda414c4198.jpg

• Like 1

That logo has been there since they updated the studio a few months ago, but we haven't seen any official changes to the logo for 720 yet so it might have just been something randomly used by the sponsor, but I do love the look of it (probably because of the font they used, it's just just a standard Arial or whatever they currently use). That font with the "W" logo would look good probably. I also think it'd make a good logo for WGN TV if they didn't want to go for a retro look (even though that's probably what they'll end up going with if that logo accidentally shown on the Evening News is anything to go by).

I feel WFLD can beat WGN once WGN gets sold to Sinclair there conservative view will hurt WGNs image sure WFLD is conservative too but this is nothing new since there owned by FOX but Sinclair i believe will mess up WGN topped with the fact WFLD has a brand new set arguerbly the best in the market And WGNS WILL LOOK SUPER CHEAP BDI really

I hope she has comedic chops. She's gonna need it on days when Paul is off and she has to do the whole show.

If she's this dry then not so much... see if you can spot the glaring mistake she makes in announcing the warning:

[MEDIA=vimeo]153974288[/MEDIA]

This was her submission to Best Weathercaster for IBA... that and she drones on a bit too long for my liking on a morning show... morning weather shouldn't take 4+ minutes...

• Like 1

Now they need a new traffic anchor in the morning. The bosses at WGN have given Erin an offer she couldn't refuse. She and her hubby will be back on the same shift...

You don't think Jindra will shift to mornings? Or is Jindra leaving altogether?

I'm not getting the impression that Erin will be doing traffic reports in the afternoon, and unless they're doing away with them altogether, they'll be replacing someone.