Possible New NBC Sports/NBCSN Graphics?

AaronQ

Like I said in the No Emotion Box, I tuned in to NBCSN to watch a college hockey game between Boston College vs New Hampshire, and apparently they got some new graphics . Not sure if it'll be expanded, or if it's only for their college hockey coverage. I've uploaded a album of the possible new graphics as well: http://imgur.com/a/UNbc8

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news, I noticed that Golf Channel seemed to have something new too. They've been starting to roll out a new, very minimalistic graphics package at this week's Hero World Challenge; their last update was a touch-up to their old graphics (itself a cross between the "old" NBC Sports graphics and the old Golf Channel graphics) when they adopted their (tacky) new logo. It uses the same font as the previous graphics, but everything is all black with blue accenting. It's very pared down; part of me thinks its a bit too minimalist. It also looks nothing like those graphics.

Fun fact: the last new NBC Sports package was teased at a college hockey game too before its eventual "debut" for the Winter Classic.

Beautiful look if that's what we have to look forward to. A nice evolution of the current look.

This will probably debut at the Winter Classic like the last couple looks have. I hope it doesn't take as long to get down to the RSNs like the last look did and I hope they use this opportunity to upgrade their equipment

It's very close to the current look - more like an update rather than a departure. The RSNs could even stay on the older look and it wouldn't look like a mess like ESPN's 3000 graphics packages.

I'm thinking Super Bowl with this one. Remember, Winter Classic tied in to the launch of NBCSN, so you kind of had to have a new look ready. Super Bowl gets a larger audience than Winter Classic anyway, so...

It's very close to the current look - more like an update rather than a departure. The RSNs could even stay on the older look and it wouldn't look like a mess like ESPN's 3000 graphics packages.

I'm thinking Super Bowl with this one. Remember, Winter Classic tied in to the launch of NBCSN, so you kind of had to have a new look ready. Super Bowl gets a larger audience than Winter Classic anyway, so...

idk, this is a big year for NBC's overall NFL playoffs coverage. For the very first time, they'll have both first and second round coverage in addition to the Super Bowl, which means they'll be covering 3 of the 4 rounds of the NFL playoffs this year. I'm thinking they'll want to debut this package either for the Winter Classic or by the first round of the NFL playoffs.

The RSNs have not finished moving to the current look, so it is unlikely to see these changes trickle down for a while - that is, if they are even destined to get them. The massaging that the RSNs have to do to get updates working is horribly inefficient.

Which regionals have glaring issues? I know CSN Chicago took awhile to transition to the 2012 graphics, only adopting them for the nightly wrap-up show this year, but shouldn't all official sports telecasts nationwide be on the current look by now? I'd be a little surprised if any of the RSNs debut anything for the baseball season, but there's no reason why this new look couldn't be ready for NHL/NBA coverage NEXT fall.

I should clarify that the RSNs are -mostly- on the current look. There are slight changes coming down the line -nothing on the level pictured above, but enough that they would hold off on doing them if a new package was coming. Then again, the event package has a bunch of templates that the studio productions don't use, so this look could go to the local games without affecting the RSN visuals.

I should clarify that the RSNs are -mostly- on the current look. There are slight changes coming down the line -nothing on the level pictured above, but enough that they would hold off on doing them if a new package was coming. Then again, the event package has a bunch of templates that the studio productions don't use, so this look could go to the local games without affecting the RSN visuals.

Do any of those changes involve updating elements like the event scoreboards/bars and the ticker to look more inline with the national look? I always found it curious that those elements in particular aren't a one for one match between the local and national product.

What I'm surprised at is how they still haven't rebranded SNY to the CSN name' especially considering the "swirl" thing in the CSN logo was imported from SNY.

The Mets are the majority and controlling owner of SNY with NBCU only owning a small portion. Time Warner actually owns a larger portion so in theory, if the Mets wanted to they could align the look of the network more with the TW RSNs

Well, TWC's about to be acquired by Comcast, and I don't think they'll retain the name, so CSN being the name would make more sense, it's likely that people don't even know the Mets own the majority of the network; YES, on the other hand, makes sure to put it front and center, even if they're majority owned by Fox.

• 3 weeks later...

The new look made an appearance on NBCSN's A10 Basketball coverage yesterday:

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/college-basketball?guid=nbc_cbk_ionavsgmuhighlight_141220

EDIT: Also found a nice blog post with tons of screengrabs from the college hockey game that this look appeared on: http://www.cuttlefishtech.com/2014/12/15/mysterious-new-nbcsn-graphics-roundup/

Seems that NBCSN rang in the new year with a new ticker. While it's mainly a refreshed and less glossy version of the old one, there are a few new features. It will be interesting to see if the first wide exposure of these graphics will be during the early BPL match or if (like I suspect) it will be with the Winter Classic itself. I've compiled a small album here: http://imgur.com/a/O8rOs

They really hit the nail on the head with this update. I wonder if they'll be able to have this update ready in time for MLB season on the CSN's.

Doubt it. If they're on the same timeline as they were with the last update don't expect this to debut there before football season.

Archived