KTVU Branding Changes

C Block

KTVU still uses "The 10:00 O'Clock News" for the 10:00 p.m. newscast, thank god.

Watching the "KTVU Channel 2 Morning News" right now and it seems like they took down the time bug and the ticker at the bottom. This is a really sad occasion. Even really sad when you see the KTVU FOX 2 logo with the rest of other O&O's, but be glad that the Circle 2 laser still exists.

Circle 2 and "The 10:00 O'Clock News" are now the only good things that keeps KTVU Channel 2 surviving from the FOX O&O deadbeat. (I'm gonna call it "KTVU Channel 2" because "KTVU FOX 2" just sounds ugly to me.)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the look and music. Makes the SF market now have all the O&O looks on every channel.

I wonder if they are going to get a new studio, or a new desk since they now have segments in the mornings. They already had to get rid of the 7pm desk for TV36 (KICU) to make it into the couch interview/multi purpose area and relocate the 7pm news next to the StormTracker 2 podium.

Music choice, looks like they went the WTVT Good Day route with the soft theme for its opens and bumpers. Closing theme is the main Good Day theme with the drums.

Other than that its the same theme on its noon and evening newscasts.

In defense of the correlation between FOX O&O's and FOX News and other Newscorp Publications, one example would be FOX11 LA's critical analysis of California's Hi-Speed Rail plan, a program oft-derided by conservatives. The station has aired numerous editorials and even half-hour specials attacking it.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/19768269/high-speed-rail-revisited

I wonder if they are going to get a new studio, or a new desk since they now have segments in the mornings. They already had to get rid of the 7pm desk for TV36 (KICU) to make it into the couch interview/multi purpose area and relocate the 7pm news next to the StormTracker 2 podium.

That was always a multipurpose area. The couch piece was always wheeled in on Wednesdays for the taping of Bay Area People, KTVU's Sunday morning community affairs show, then the anchor desk was moved back afterward. At some point, they decided it was better to have the couch area there all the time to be used on the morning show (which is seemingly now all called Mornings on 2 for the entire time).

I really hope they don't mess around too much with KTVU journalstically. I can adjust to the new brand, graphics, snd music but it would be hard for me to adjust if they turn into a clone of the other Fox O&Os journalstically as well.

Cox is pretty much a station group that does things by the book and Fox is pretty much the opposite of that. I'm curious to see the culture clashes going on in Oakland right now.

And based on recent history *cough* WJZY *cough*, I would stick with what works for KTVU rather than trying to find ways to "improve" it.

The only thing that would make me tolerate the new look for KTVU is to use the music that WTVT is using now for the evening. Powerful and strong.

I agree, that cut sounds very similar to their old music package. Not sure who's idea it was to use the cut the other Fox stations use but it doesn't fit for KTVU.

My thing was why did KTVU use Scott Chaplin who was well known for tabloid news. Sure he did WNBC and other non tabbie stations, but I thought they had such a zero tolerance, that they would choose someone who does it for other stations.

Cox uses him for some of their other stations. They've used him for WSB for the longest time.

Iirc, Chapin was the Fox o&o voice for years until he cut back on the number of stations he was servicing.

I know at one point in early 2000s, he switched from KPRC to KRIV, which I think was part of a contract deal with FTS.

Iirc, Chapin was the Fox o&o voice for years until he cut back on the number of stations he was servicing.

I know at one point in early 2000s, he switched from KPRC to KRIV, which I think was part of a contract deal with FTS.

Scott's semi-retirement a few years ago actually took him off of WSVN and WHDH (who replaced him with Paul Turner). And WSVN is the epitome of tabloid TV.

Oddly, Chapin never did imaging for WJW when it was a Fox O&O (and not since either; Jeff Laurence is now their primary imaging voice, with canned generic liners by Greg O'Neill for newscast opens) but he did imaging for WEWS in the mid 90s.

The in-show graphics are an improvement.

But the open and that O&O music package just don't fit the market. It's too New York in your face. And I like it in New York.

Word was they had actually commissioned a new version of the classic Michael Randall "There's only one 2" music before the takeover happened.

415 Media / Lieberman is actually complimentary of it

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-channel-2-graphics-more-fox-less.html

KTVU now has the ticker and the time. Watching "Mornings on 2" this morning. The Weather Authority and The Traffic Authority are so FOX O&O, not so KTVU Channel 2.

I agree that "The Weather Authority" and "The Traffic Authority" are stupid, it's not even a corporate mandate because I know other O&O's don't use that branding.

There are much softer cuts of the music package they could've used too. I do like the logo and the graphics and branding are fine, still it seems like Fox could do more to maintain a balance between the stuff that corporate mandates O&O's use and the KTVU of the past.

Of course those brands aren't mandated by Fox, but you need to consider that the news director came from a station with that branding.

And honestly, is there anyone else in this market that could be considered the Traffic Authority aside from Sal Castaneda? No. There isn't.

It's different, you just need to get used to it. KTVU didn't really brand franchises in the past. Weather was weather, sports was sports.

Traffic Authority is a huge step forward from Live Drive Time Traffic.

Archived