KTVU Branding Changes

C Block

KTVU debuted a new promo this week with a slightly different feel to it. The logo is revised, with the Fox logo now appearing to the side of the laser 2 and in a much larger size. It's only a small change, but I find two interesting things about this — the laser 2 logo appears to be living on! — and secondly, this is probably the first time in 15 years that the word "Fox" has appeared anywhere close to KTVU's news brand. I think it actually looks pretty nice considering the circumstances.

I bet it's only a matter of time until some O&O graphics debut as well.

Here's the promo:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice promo. I'm really happy to see the laser 2 live on. That would've been a stupid mistake if they would've replaced it with a more generic looking 2. Also, a nice touch using the "onlyone2" for their twitter hashtag as well.

KTVU did use the word "Fox" in their newscasts for a small period back in the early 2000's. Not sure why they stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGz2KauUVA

Very nice promo. I'm really happy to see the laser 2 live on. That would've been a stupid mistake if they would've replaced it with a more generic looking 2. Also, a nice touch using the "onlyone2" for their twitter hashtag as well.

KTVU did use the word "Fox" in their newscasts for a small period back in the early 2000's. Not sure why they stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGz2KauUVA

A direct news brand association with FOX in a place like San Francisco is an iffy thing because of the way viewers have trouble differentiating the local and national news products FOX puts out. They see it as interchangeable with the iffy journalism on FOX News. The largely liberal population in the area is probably not a huge fan base for FOX News.

A direct news brand association with FOX in a place like San Francisco is an iffy thing because of the way viewers have trouble differentiating the local and national news products FOX puts out. They see it as interchangeable with the iffy journalism on FOX News. The largely liberal population in the area is probably not a huge fan base for FOX News.

They don't want to be flooded with complaints about what someone on FNC said. Even some Fox O&Os have distanced themselves from FNC. What about Fox stations in areas with conservative populations?

They don't want to be flooded with complaints about what someone on FNC said. Even some Fox O&Os have distanced themselves from FNC. What about Fox stations in areas with conservative populations?

That's very true, but I think in non O&O areas some of the viewers get FOX NEWS i.e the cable outlet confuse vs the local FOX affiliate. I was on facebook and this viewer was outrage what FOX NEWS said and told the local anchor on his facebook page. He try to explain that FOX NEWS and local FOX affiliate were two different entity . She didn't get it.

KMSP/FOX 9 anchor Randy Meier said the samething that even with that station being O&O people still think their apart of FOX NEWS, and he explained that they have the resources of FOX, but it totally different entity. What FOX NEWS does many of the O&O stations don't do. So I guess it all about perception to the viewer.

I like the KTVU promo still Cox esque, not much a News Corp promo, but I do wonder how KTVU would had been if Cox kept KTVU and became an Indy outlet. FOX would have bought KRON4 and turn them into the O&O.

The network's own O&O division hasn't helped matters when they implemented the standardized graphics/logo scheme that made them look like FNC clones. But that was also a brainchild of Roger Ailes.

It's not a surprise that KDVR ditched the O&O look as soon as they were able to, given the makeup of the Denver market proper.

They may not have as much trouble. This is the perfect illustration of the peril of politicizing news.

If "KTVU FOX 2" is kept, then I just hope that they keep using "KTVU Channel 2 News" for its newscasts. But I highly doubt that since KTVU is now a FOX O&O station and that they may now make it "KTVU FOX 2 News," but I hope not. If so, then say goodbye to "The 10:00 O'Clock News on KTVU Channel 2" as we all know it and say hello to "KTVU FOX 2 News at 10:00". Even that's gonna sound ugly to me.

They may not have as much trouble. This is the perfect illustration of the peril of politicizing news.

Then you have WJW, which is still a dominating force in the obviously non-conservative Cleveland market. And WJW still looks like an O&O! (for now)

Doesn't help matters when conservative talk show hosts call FNC just "Fox" and when callers talk about the Fox Network, it gets confusing to the host. Another right wing host (no longer on the air) would call WFXT "the Local Fox News" and FNC "the national Fox News".

*Facepalm*

The liberals in Boston area hated WFXT but anyone who wasn't a far to the left of center had no problem having a different bias (albeit WFXT had their liberal sides like every other station.) Using them as an example.

Another subtle change, it appears that The Ten O'Clock News is now called The 10:00 News.

Well, that was used prior to the late 90s. Not too shocking.

However I still think the odds are in KTVU's favor. Right now in the moment it may not change, but say in 5 years you'll say "this isn't your brother's KTVU." They are still a ratings powerhouse, so they can't just break it (also the $$$ on the local news ads are pretty valuable.)

• 3 weeks later...

KTVU launched the standard Fox O&O look and sound today during the noon newscast. Seems like they're still using the "KTVU" brand on-air (probably as "KTVU Fox 2 News"), and the Complete Bay Area News Coverage tagline remains. I missed the open, but here are a few screengrabs:

D0o6G4il.png

CcaxmOJl.jpg

Hn0E7pol.jpg

hK1noggl.jpg

EDIT: Unsurprisingly, weather is now branded as "Weather Authority," and updating KTVU's entry in the great What Does Your Station's Copyright Say? encyclopedia.

T407X5el.jpg

9iazxHIl.png

Archived