HLN to add movies to the lineup

Glimmer

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/06/hln-launches-news-a-movie-thursday-february-12-with-glory/360402/

HLN is launching News and a Movie, which will feature films interspersed with trivia, fun facts and a panel discussion throughout. The first movies to air will be the classic Glory and...Real Genius. I am not kidding.

Just when I thought they couldn't get any worse. How in the hell are they still even classified as a NEWS CHANNEL anymore?

Are they really? I haven't thought of them as a news channel in a long time. Maybe the broader "news and information" genre, but definitely not straight news.

If Time Warner had sense they'd just shut down HLN and use the channel space for something else. I remember rumors flying last year about them handing it over to Vice Media...

hell at this point I would just shut down HLN and take the channel off the dial!

Maybe in HLN's place they could do what some foreign countries did: A Warner Bros cable station, called the Warner Channel, focusing on the vast WB archive; they could supplement it with some of the Turner backlog (ie TNT's Witchblade, or Hanna-Barbera's SWAT Kats).

Maybe in HLN's place they could do what some foreign countries did: A Warner Bros cable station, called the Warner Channel, focusing on the vast WB archive; they could supplement it with some of the Turner backlog (ie TNT's Witchblade, or Hanna-Barbera's SWAT Kats).

That wouldn't work now. Pay TV providers want channels to provide original programming to justify their existence. A non-stop rerun channel wouldn't cut it.

(Also, nitpick: WB owns SWAT Kats and the rest of the Hanna-Barbera library; WB took ownership of Hanna-Barbera and its intellectual property in 1997. The studio no longer exists in its original form, but WB held onto the IP)

Par for the course. This channel jumped the shark quite a while ago.

It jumped the shark with the introduction of Headline Prime back in 2005.

Tot Mom and George Zimmerman were embarrassing sequences that shredded the network's credibility, but HLN's decline was already a foregone conclusion.

And HLN has sealed its own soon-to-be demise (which would be very unlikely).

HLN is going through the same slow, pitiful demise that befell G4tv: abandoning the network's intended premise for something that they aren't in a vain attempt to lure younger viewers, but driving away whatever audience they had to begin with in the process.

When the first cable system drops HLN outright, then you know it's officially dead. And if the network's ratings plummet, anything is possible.

Archived