Global News announces significant changes to how news is produced

xmattx

TORONTO – Global News’ parent company, Shaw Media, announced sweeping changes to how it produces news in Canada.

Shaw Media made the announcement Thursday afternoon that it will consolidate much of its production across Canada and change how the late-night and weekend newscasts are produced.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1930342/global-news-announces-significant-changes-to-how-news-is-produced/

Wow, what a load of stuff is going on here:

"The production of the late-night and weekend newscasts east of Alberta, as well as Kelowna, will be moved to Toronto, where a single-anchor team will produce a local newscast for each market. Local morning shows and early evening newscasts will continue to be anchored from studios in local markets, though the production of some national and international segments will be centralized in Toronto."

So even viewers in Winnipeg will get their late and weekend news...from Toronto. And the national news will be the same.

At this point it probably could be called a national newscast with local inserts. What is this, News Central?

I also love this gem of a quote:

"I’d love to say that we’re just copying somebody else’s idea from somewhere else in the world, but this is very much something we’re doing on our own."

Australian regional news is on line 1 and it wants to say that it has been aggregated to death.

Their logic seems to be that they want to not have the local stations dealing with national content, so they can put more resources into actually producing local content.

The Sinclair vibes are apparent here. It's shocking, given that Shaw practically flipped Global and made the stations even more competitive in many markets than they were under Canwest.

Wow, what a load of stuff is going on here:

"The production of the late-night and weekend newscasts east of Alberta, as well as Kelowna, will be moved to Toronto, where a single-anchor team will produce a local newscast for each market. Local morning shows and early evening newscasts will continue to be anchored from studios in local markets, though the production of some national and international segments will be centralized in Toronto."

So even viewers in Winnipeg will get their late and weekend news...from Toronto. And the national news will be the same.

At this point it probably could be called a national newscast with local inserts. What is this, News Central?

I also love this gem of a quote:

"I’d love to say that we’re just copying somebody else’s idea from somewhere else in the world, but this is very much something we’re doing on our own."

Australian regional news is on line 1 and it wants to say that it has been aggregated to death.

It's actually worse than NewsCentral because NewsCentral still kept part of the newscast at the local stations, only the national news and weather were based out of Hunt Valley.

Their logic seems to be that they want to not have the local stations dealing with national content, so they can put more resources into actually producing local content.

The Sinclair vibes are apparent here. It's shocking, given that Shaw practically flipped Global and made the stations even more competitive in many markets than they were under Canwest.

Something sounds fishy. Using the excuse of dealing with national and international content to cut the local newscasts sounds incredibly lame. I guess they didn't want to come out say we want to save money by cutting local newscasts.

If they were concerned about local stations handling national content they could just rely on prepackaged reports by the network, AP, Reuters, or CNN. Little work would be needed on the local end where they could just rip and read.

I wonder how they will handle a major breaking news situation with prerecorded newscasts.

This is pretty much Canada's version of CBS Newspath. The very definition of "synergy".

But this has some promise and interest. I can't wait to see where this leads.

How is this like Newspath? I always thought of Newspath as providing prepackaged segments and distributing segments produced by their affiliates similar to Fox News Edge, ABC Newsone and NBC's Newschannel.

From what I've seen it sounds like they are going to record newscasts from Toronto to the rest of the country. Similar to the Independent News Network which records individual newscasts tailored to a region with local reporters from Little Rock, AR.

Eh, it's not going too bad as most people are going to perceive. This is already done with the CBC Atlantic stations producing late-night newscasts from Halifax to the rest of the Atlantic provinces and it went smoothly from there. So basically, no need to start holding the News Central card just yet.

“It’s really to respond to the change in both the viewing habits of Canadians, the way people consume and the way we are actually able to pay for our news content,” Troy Reeb, Shaw’s senior vice-president of news and station operations

Archived