WABC Launches "DroneCam7"

mountainave

Okay, this is pretty freakin' cool. Eyewitness News is debuting a drone that it is calling DroneCam7 today on EWN First at Four. I wasn't expecting this on local news so soon, but this is definitely a sign of what's to come in 21st century news gathering.

Here's a video sneak peak: https://www.facebook.com/ABC7NY/videos/10152943607684091/

I wonder if it can stream live video, or if it will only be used to record video on shoots for packaging afterward. Also, I wonder how this will be used in connection with NewsCopter7. I guess we'll find out...

I feel drones are just the latest toy du jour. At this point in the game they are just toys that have no real purpose for news gathering. All they really add to a newscast are pretty pictures and bragging rights. There are just too many restrictions in place for this to be a truly useful news gathering tool.

I feel drones are just the latest toy du jour. At this point in the game they are just toys that have no real purpose for news gathering. All they really add to a newscast are pretty pictures and bragging rights. There are just too many restrictions in place for this to be a truly useful news gathering tool.

I agree. Although it could make the promo creation process easier. Instead of having to rent a chopper for sweeping city-scapes, they can use a drone.

At this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if KGO, KTRK, KFSN and WTVD joined in on this too. It's only a matter of time.

and WPVI. but it is very likely that KABC or WABC will use it to close newscasts or just roll their current Aerial Footage.

Archived