Who's coming back to San Diego?

A3N

We talk enough about the market, figured we needed a thread to keep the conversations in one place.

Anyways, this was posted on SDRadio last week...

Tease: Familiar Face Returning to TV News

By Joe Nelson

A very familiar name will be returning to the TV News scene soon and SanDiegoRadio will have the scoop.

images%2B%25281%2529.png

Who is it?

Stay tuned.... more to follow.

-Joe

Any guesses as to who it may be?

We talk enough about the market, figured we needed a thread to keep the conversations in one place.

Anyways, this was posted on SDRadio last week...

Any guesses as to who it may be?

I know the silhouette is of a male, but possibly Pat Brown?

I know the silhouette is of a male, but possibly Pat Brown?

That came to mind, but she would have at least posted something on her Facebook page. There are literally so many familiar faces that could theoretically return to the airwaves, that it would be impossible to even guess the correct one.

I'm actually afraid to ask...

What if it's somebody we don't want back??

Anyway,

My Guess is..........

John Coleman

KayUUUUUUsi!!!!!

Sarah Wallace

Or

Stan Miller...Carlos???

Anyway,

My Guess is..........

John Coleman

KayUUUUUUsi!!!!!

Sarah Wallace

Or

Stan Miller...Carlos???

Is any station in the market really looking to hire? I say that in the sense that all anchor pairings seems pretty stable, and at least for now, there doesn't seem to be an opening. The only opening right now is KNSD looking for an anchor/reporter-- to presumably cover Nicole Gomez while she's on Maternity leave. Other than that, and unless KSWB starts up a weekend AM show... it's a puzzler.

Does Stan Miller still have any bridges to burn in this market? I say that in the sense that he left on bad terms at KUSI and at KFMB. Carlos Amezcua did some anchoring during May sweeps, hasn't been seen since. John Coleman? LOL.

Is any station in the market really looking to hire? I say that in the sense that all anchor pairings seems pretty stable, and at least for now, there doesn't seem to be an opening. The only opening right now is KNSD looking for an anchor/reporter-- to presumably cover Nicole Gomez while she's on Maternity leave. Other than that, and unless KSWB starts up a weekend AM show... it's a puzzler.

Does Stan Miller still have any bridges to burn in this market? I say that in the sense that he left on bad terms at KUSI and at KFMB. Carlos Amezcua did some anchoring during May sweeps, hasn't been seen since. John Coleman? LOL.

Anyway,

My Guess is..........

John Coleman

KayUUUUUUsi!!!!!

Sarah Wallace

Or

Stan Miller...Carlos???

Would Stan Miller come back to San Diego? Did KFMB ask him to take a pay-cut and he was like nope. Then he went to KWTV in OKC anchoring the morning news. I thought Stan and Barbara had great chemistry on their program? However can anybody give me the goods on KUSI Sasha Foo. She seems like one of the main stars at KUSI?

Would Stan Miller come back to San Diego? Did KFMB ask him to take a pay-cut and he was like nope. Then he went to KWTV in OKC anchoring the morning news. I thought Stan and Barbara had great chemistry on their program? However can anybody give me the goods on KUSI Sasha Foo. She seems like one of the main stars at KUSI?

From what I understand, Stan wanted to cut his hours (no longer do the 11pm news) but management said no. When he was first hired in 2005 (?) to replace Michael Tuck, he anchored the 5 & 6:30pm newscasts, while Kathleen Bade and Barbara-Lee Edwards anchored the 11pm. But, Bade was bounced a few years later and so management had Stan take over the 11pm. When he approached them to cut the 11pm, they said no and he then went on medical leave (or something like that). After a few months, he left the station. He had a similar falling out with KUSI as well. He left because (if I remember correctly), he needed to 'charge up' his batteries... exhaustion, I assume. I remember reading all of this on the old TVSpy forums, and several posters questioned whether or not he was truly ill, or just using it as a ploy. I'm sure there are a few articles on Stan's departure from KFMB.

As for Sasha Foo... I don't think she's one of the biggest stars at KUSI. However, she is a very good reporter, and does a decent job at the desk.

KUSI Has an Anchor/Reporter opening.

I honestly don't think it's anyone really significant.

I wouldn't say Joe Nelson is a real big "insider" unless he heard a rumor from the last Del Mar Fair media party.

KUSI Has an Anchor/Reporter opening.

I honestly don't think it's anyone really significant.

I wouldn't say Joe Nelson is a real big "insider" unless he heard a rumor from the last Del Mar Fair media party.

KUSI always has an anchor/reporter opening posted. I think it's become a permanent thing by now. He might get a few tips/rumors here and there, maybe he heard at the fair media party or someone emailed him with info. I will say though, that he was the first one to post about Susan Lennon leaving the KSWB anchor chair

KUSI always has an anchor/reporter opening posted. I think it's become a permanent thing by now. He might get a few tips/rumors here and there, maybe he heard at the fair media party or someone emailed him with info. I will say though, that he was the first one to post about Susan Lennon leaving the KSWB anchor chair

Just about all TV news job postings are for jobs that are already decided on. The posting is a formality to satisfy the EOE's and the public file. The ND usually already knows who they want due to the agents pre-shopping the client.

Most on-air folks never even fill out an application until after they are hired.

If you guessed Phil Farrar, then you guessed right! Phil will anchor the Weekend AM newscasts along with some reporting at San Diego 6- which seems to be a shift that changes anchors every year or so. Phil did some sports reporting for SD6 a few years back, but was at Clear Channel's KOGO radio for many years.

And in another anchor move, Carlos Amezcua will join KUSI as AM anchor- According to SDRadio. Carlos had been freelancing at KSWB during May sweeps on the weekend PM newscasts but has not been seen since. The post also mentions that David Davis- current AM anchor, will move to weekend evenings to take over the spot left vacated when Jon Du Pre was let go.

And in another anchor move, Carlos Amezcua will join KUSI as AM anchor- According to SDRadio. Carlos had been freelancing at KSWB during May sweeps on the weekend PM newscasts but has not been seen since. The post also mentions that David Davis- current AM anchor, will move to weekend evenings to take over the spot left vacated when Jon Du Pre was let go.

Wow, huge win for KUSI! I think he and Lisa will be a great pairing for the mornings! Poor David though. He just can't keep the weekday gigs. Or maybe he doesn't want to...

Wow, huge win for KUSI! I think he and Lisa will be a great pairing for the mornings! Poor David though. He just can't keep the weekday gigs. Or maybe he doesn't want to...

That's what baffles me. He's been moved around several times from weekends to weekdays (He started off as the weekend evening anchor). Ever since Stan Miller left, KUSI's morning news has been very unstable. If i'm not mistaken, the male anchors have been Stan>David>Dan>Ross>Dan>David>Carlos(?). David has lasted a while this second time around. I'm not sure if it's his decision to move off the mornings, but he'll do a good job with Kristen on the weekends.

Good for Phil and Carlos. Both are good Solid newsmen.

I didn't even notice that Dupree was gone.

Come to think of it, I have not seen Laura Buxton lately. Is George Reading on vacation??? I hope Carlos and Phil have a case of "Old Spice" to carry on the KUSI tradition.

You can rotate anchors at KUSI all you want. The KUSI formula is based on a consistent style that is completely interchangeable. Keep the legacy viewers, and grow viewers via Grandpas TV in the family room.

It's all the same, the show pacing stays the same, and they seem to get to all the local stories. Why bother with a new set? KUSI has plenty of standing offers from local news junkies to buy the desk once it is retired. Chances are one of the local museums in Balboa park will get that desk.

Good for Phil and Carlos. Both are good Solid newsmen.

I didn't even notice that Dupree was gone.

Come to think of it, I have not seen Laura Buxton lately. Is George Reading on vacation??? I hope Carlos and Phil have a case of "Old Spice" to carry on the KUSI tradition.

You can rotate anchors at KUSI all you want. The KUSI formula is based on a consistent style that is completely interchangeable. Keep the legacy viewers, and grow viewers via Grandpas TV in the family room.

It's all the same, the show pacing stays the same, and they seem to get to all the local stories. Why bother with a new set? KUSI has plenty of standing offers from local news junkies to buy the desk once it is retired. Chances are one of the local museums in Balboa park will get that desk.

Du Pre has been gone almost two months now. No real loss TBH. The guy was over-dramatic at the desk and seemed like a phony. Never liked the guy (i'm sure he's a nice guy in person...but as a journalist. Pffft). As for consistency: the only real consistency that KUSI has is it's octogenarian viewers. Other than that, there has been a crapload of anchor changes in the last 10 years or so- especially on the weekends- about 4 or 5 in the last 5 years or so. Weekday evenings has stabilized somewhat. Are they going to wait until that desk falls apart or spontaneously combusts before they replace it? it's 20 years old, if i'm not mistaken...

Farrar is going to San Diego 6, not KUSI. I believe that KUSI's coop of Amezcua was partly to slow KSWB down. I'm sure they're hoping that people will remember him from his San Diego days, and even his days at KTLA when he could be seen here in the area.

Du Pre has been gone almost two months now. No real loss TBH. The guy was over-dramatic at the desk and seemed like a phony. Never liked the guy (i'm sure he's a nice guy in person...but as a journalist. Pffft). As for consistency: the only real consistency that KUSI has is it's octogenarian viewers. Other than that, there has been a crapload of anchor changes in the last 10 years or so- especially on the weekends- about 4 or 5 in the last 5 years or so. Weekday evenings has stabilized somewhat. Are they going to wait until that desk falls apart or spontaneously combusts before they replace it? it's 20 years old, if i'm not mistaken...

Farrar is going to San Diego 6, not KUSI. I believe that KUSI's coop of Amezcua was partly to slow KSWB down. I'm sure they're hoping that people will remember him from his San Diego days, and even his days at KTLA when he could be seen here in the area.

Phil deserves at shot at this, I would say from his past on-air stuff at XETV, that he is really a natural for this TV stuff.

Poor guy has to do that split shift 8am show/ 10pm show. Still good for him, he was getting jacked around by the money problems at KOGO/ IHM.

Former KOGO PD now ND Cliff Albert has had to lay-off Farrar about 80 zillion times because of budget . At least Albert brings back Phil for projects whenever KOGO has the money.

Carlos....

The thing about Carlos is that everyone likes him . Carlos gets along with the ladies, but not in a creepy way. Carlos has aged very well for 720p HD.

He is a solid news guy both on and off the desk.

It's not like KUSI to engage in 'Bidding wars" for anybody . I doubt KSWB had any kind of offer on the table except for the promise of some more fill-in. Carlos most likely has the standard 2yr KUSI deal.

Phil deserves at shot at this, I would say from his past on-air stuff at XETV, that he is really a natural for this TV stuff.

Poor guy has to do that split shift 8am show/ 10pm show. Still good for him, he was getting jacked around by the money problems at KOGO/ IHM.

Former KOGO PD now ND Cliff Albert has had to lay-off Farrar about 80 zillion times because of budget . At least Albert brings back Phil for projects whenever KOGO has the money.

Carlos....

The thing about Carlos is that everyone likes him . Carlos gets along with the ladies, but not in a creepy way. Carlos has aged very well for 720p HD.

It's not like KUSI to engage in 'Bidding wars" for anybody . I doubt KSWB had any kind of offer on the table except for the promise of some more fill-in. Carlos most likely has the standard 2yr KUSI deal.

Phil was one of the good ones at KOGO, sad that he had to be let go. I do believe that he will only be doing the AM shift on the weekends. The 10pm weekend newscasts will still be done by Derek Stahl.

So KUSI does 2 yr. deals? Hmm, that seems to be the amount of time that Jon Du Pre lasted, and before that Byron Harlan. Hell, i'm sure KUSI could have poached Bill Griffith out of retirement for a couple of years...

Carlos....

Phil won't have to do the split. Derek Stahl anchors the weekend evening.

Hell, i'm sure KUSI could have poached Bill Griffith out of retirement for a couple of years...

You can bet if Bills golf game goes south he will call KUSI and get on the short list .

They alllllllllllll Do.

What about Lynnda Martin or Estha Trouw? Also, I would love to see Lisa Lake back. Lastly, maybe Lorrie Jordan.

Lynda Martin is doing radio updates at KFMB-AM, and Lorrie Jordan occasionally fills in on weather at KNSD.

I think KNSD should put LoJo on weekends permanently, and hire Pat Brown back for weeknights. She could help reel in viewers from KGTV who were chased away by her awful replacement. Dagmar should be moved to mornings, where she would be a much better fit and could help boost the sagging ratings.

Archived