(Debunked) WJZ Dropped Chroma Cues?

Big Country News

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure... Was combing the video section on CBSBaltimore.com, and the only news segment I could find with music was a Friday afternoon "@ Your Desk", but that still had "Chrome Cues". All other stories that seemed like A-Blockers were very well trimmed, so I couldn't pick anything out from there. Maybe someone uploaded an open to YouTube, could check there.

The same can be said with the use of the Group W font.....WJZ and KPIX are the only former Westinghouse TV stations still using it.

As hideous as their on air look is these days, it's reached that point where a change could inflict the backlash much like when WPVI dared to introduce a localized "MCTYW".

The graphics and the set could use a refresh, but the "Anklepants" and Chroma Cues are destined to be around forever at this point....

The same can be said with the use of the Group W font.....WJZ and KPIX are the only former Westinghouse TV stations still using it.

As hideous as their on air look is these days, it's reached that point where a change could inflict the backlash much like when WPVI dared to introduce a localized "MCTYW".

The graphics and the set could use a refresh, but the "Anklepants" and Chroma Cues are destined to be around forever at this point....

Anklepants? I've always wondered was WPVI really bombarded with complaints when they updated MCTYW or was it something that grew bigger in folk lore?

During the morning shows the top of the hour theme isn't chroma cues but the use elements in the show. Here's the opening for the morning show:

[yt]oYZeB8EF76Q[/yt]

I give WJZ credit for sticking with Chroma Cues and their look. Now granted, it actually (At least with the opens) a lot better because of the great film work they do use in and around Baltimore, but its uniquely Baltimore. Its not like other stations that use stock movies or images, but it makes WJZ unique to the viewer.

"Chroma Cues" had an impressive run at WTVC Chattanooga...from the mid 90s to 2009. They dumped it for an Aircast package which lasted into their 2nd "Sinclair-i-zation".

Runner up in Chattanooga is the old MG look at WDEF....but that's Morris being cheap...

As for WJZ.....I agree with the others that the demise of Chroma Cues has been greatly exaggerated.

I wanted to see how much Helvetica can be stretched in Photoshop...

The past few years they've been in second. The only shows that get #1 in the demo are the 6AM (or was it 5AM) and noon newscasts.

Also what was with the radio DJ making chicken - I have to ask because it seems like something they'd air.

At times I think the current version of Chroma Cues is like nails on a chalkboard especially when you have a headache.

As long as KC Robertson remains at WJZ, this hot mess will remain. I assume he has a lifetime contract with CBS?

Did you know that the newscasts are officially titled "WJZ 13 Eyewitness News" and have been this whole time? Could've fooled me!

Also what was with the radio DJ making chicken - I have to ask because it seems like something they'd air.

I thought he was referring to Pat Garrett, WJZ's main VO. I legitimately feel sorry for him because of the mush he has to read for the newscast opens.

"Anklepants" is the free truetype variant of the distinctive Group W font that still lives on through WJZ's "13" and KPIX's "5"

Anklepants is an insult to the proprietary Group W typeface. It's like comparing Arial to Helvetica.

Only WOWO 1190, KDKA 1020, KYW 1060 and KPIX 5 use the font as intended. 1010 WINS and It's WJZ use modified or retraced renderings of the typeface. KPIX also used a heavily modified rendering of the "5" until they dropped the EWN name.

Archived