(Debunked) WJZ Dropped Chroma Cues?

Big Country News

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WJZ is starting to show a few signs of weakness by dropping to second in a couple of timeslots. I think that if WMAR can get its act together and become a threat, don't be surprised if there's a graphical change coming forth on TV Hill.

WJZ is starting to show a few signs of weakness by dropping to second in a couple of timeslots. I think that if WMAR can get its act together and become a threat, don't be surprised if there's a graphical change coming forth on TV Hill.

WBFF will be a threat before WMAR ever is. Scripps' past moves of dumping syndicated shows have given Wheel and Jeopardy to WBFF on a silver platter.

And technically, they're a locally owned station with SBG being up the road in Hunt Valley. Poaching Kai Jackson is another blow to 'JZ as well.

WBFF will be a threat before WMAR ever is. Scripps' past moves of dumping syndicated shows have given Wheel and Jeopardy to WBFF on a silver platter.

And technically, they're a locally owned station with SBG being up the road in Hunt Valley. Poaching Kai Jackson is another blow to 'JZ as well.

WMAR is Scripps step child that get leftovers from their big brother & sister stations like WXYZ, WEWS, WCPO, WPTV, but WMAR has done some solid work, but remains in third place and sometimes fight with WBFF for the late news ratings. However there have been times where WMAR did give the competition some heat. Yes, back in the early 1990s WMAR was the little engine it could at that time NBC affiliate.

20317110410_c4faab30fc_z.jpg

I wanted to see how much Helvetica can be stretched in Photoshop...

We said, and totally agree with you 1000%! This was a very funny post too!

'JZ may be weird, but it's something it's cookie cutter sister stations--WCBS, KCBS, WBBM--aren't: competitive in their market.

How are WFOR and KCNC doing, though? Those two stations lost a lot of their visual identity when they got Borged into the CBS standard (although I wasn't a fan of the 2000-era WFOR logo)...

WFOR is 8th (YES 8th Place)

I think WJZ is like the corny aunt or uncle that might tell bad jokes and have a bad visual identity, but if you or anyone else in your family needed something, they would be there for you in a minute.

I think WJZ is like the corny aunt or uncle that might tell bad jokes and have a bad visual identity, but if you or anyone else in your family needed something, they would be there for you in a minute.

8TH PLACE!!!!!!

WFOR is in Eight PLACE! (Who's they stumped? TBN?)

Let me guess...

My favorite station, WSVN is #1

WPLG #2

WTVJ #3

WSCV #4

WLTV #5

WJAN/WFUN #6

WGEN #7

WFOR #8

Yeah, WFOR is seriously in last place. Nobody watches them.

Yeah, WMAQ was the bastard child of NBC for a number of years, sticking with 2005-ish's Look A and a general image that dated back to the turn of the century until a top to bottom overhaul 2012.

Yeah, WMAQ was the bastard child of NBC for a number of years, sticking with 2005-ish's Look A and a general image that dated back to the turn of the century until a top to bottom overhaul 2012.

I think KNSD has WMAQ beat at being NBC's bastard child. Whatever was going on at WMAQ up until a few years ago (graphics, set-wise, music, etc.) was management at the local level. KNSD on the other hand has been screwed time after time (none more apparent than the NBC 2.0 cuts). You should have seen the mess of graphics that they used prior to them receiving Look A in 2005. At one point, they were using an animated peacock on a black background with no branding and a cut of music as their open. And I don't even want to get started on equipment. Old and busted (it's improved a bit, but they don't get the fancy toys like the other stations). Plus, they finally retired a live truck from the mid 90s about 3 or 4 years ago.

I think KNSD has WMAQ beat at being NBC's bastard child. Whatever was going on at WMAQ up until a few years ago (graphics, set-wise, music, etc.) was management at the local level. KNSD on the other hand has been screwed time after time (none more apparent than the NBC 2.0 cuts). You should have seen the mess of graphics that they used prior to them receiving Look A in 2005. At one point, they were using an animated peacock on a black background with no branding and a cut of music as their open. And I don't even want to get started on equipment. Old and busted (it's improved a bit, but they don't get the fancy toys like the other stations). Plus, they finally retired a live truck from the mid 90s about 3 or 4 years ago.

Not to mention they essentially re-painted their news set for the launch of HD newscasts (along with the short-lived Look E graphics). Hopefully, when they move back to Bala Cynwyd (sorry, wrong city) Kearny Mesa, that will change.

For NBC....I think WRC has that "wild card" quality to it. Do they still play "My Mood" on Friday Nights?

Big difference between a "wild card" and "bastard stepchild". That's why WJZ is a wild card because it endears people with it's dated graphics, Chroma Cues, and traces of it's Westinghouse past.

WFOR is a bastard stepchild because of the market it's in. The Spanish stations trounce the English ones, so the same could be said about WTVJ too (and it's probably beaten by their Telemundo counterpart!)

For NBC....I think WRC has that "wild card" quality to it. Do they still play "My Mood" on Friday Nights?

Big difference between a "wild card" and "bastard stepchild". That's why WJZ is a wild card because it endears people with it's dated graphics, Chroma Cues, and traces of it's Westinghouse past.

WFOR is a bastard stepchild because of the market it's in. The Spanish stations trounce the English ones, so the same could be said about WTVJ too (and it's probably beaten by their Telemundo counterpart!)

WSCV is #1 at 11pm, regardless of language in Miami.

Network wild cards:

WJZ = CBS

WPVI = ABC

WRC = NBC

WTVT or KSAZ = FOX

Archived