WTMJs Future?

jrh1985

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a nice improvement over the Journal look. The Scripps package isn't the newest, but it is one of the better group packages out there...and TMJ4 is doing it right (though some of the weather animations need a little work, I think that will come with time). And, I, for one, think David Tyler fits perfectly with the medium theme.

A-.

It's an Olympic year so I'm not surprised it's there. Over all it looks wonderful! I didn't see all of Live At Noon so did talent opens make a return? Or doesn't Scripps do those?

No talent opens, I don't think they've done them in a while. I think they just wanted to get something in the box since they didn't even put in the scrolling @tmj4 or facebook/tmj4 nods yet. The only thing that still gets me is they kept the tiny Peacock in the Today's banner and didn't bump it to the right to the 4 or they didn't dump Today's yet since they finally bumped the web address down to tmj4.com a few months ago.

... or they didn't dump Today's yet since they finally bumped the web address down to tmj4.com a few months ago.

The "Today's" branding has to die. This would have been the perfect opportunity to dump it, but I guess someone there still thinks it has a place 20+ years after it was added and about 18 years after it should have been dumped.

And, I, for one, think David Tyler fits perfectly with the medium theme.

It's actually Kelly Pidgeon.

Sounds fine to me. Pretty good execution on TMJ's part overall. (Pretty hard to screw up the Scripps look)

KMGH has succeeded in that endeavor.

I hope that WTVF doesn't change anytime soon. If they lose Impact V.6, that would be sad but not as bad as losing the graphics package.

I hope that WTVF doesn't change anytime soon. If they lose Impact V.6, that would be sad but not as bad as losing the graphics package.

Uh what endeavor?

WTVF will lose both and life will go on.

Here's an execusion of a 7-Day. It's always interesting to see how TruVu Max digests the graphics and how the mets use them the first time.

It would be nice if WXYZ would get the 2012 weather graphics fully implemented. The red logo from the 2009 package is getting rather dated. The logo is in 720P for god sakes. These look rather nice so I'm a little jealous...

It's actually Kelly Pidgeon.

On second listen I see that now. And I call myself the guy who keeps trying (and failing) to tell the NMSA that he's the VO on KLAS and WHEC...

Anyway...

The "Today's" branding has to die. This would have been the perfect opportunity to dump it, but I guess someone there still thinks it has a place 20+ years after it was added and about 18 years after it should have been dumped.

I think at this point it's one of those things that falls under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Yes, it's a cheesy 90's remnant, but it serves them well enough, and it's not like they're still using the original logo. If anything, in my opinion the brand actually looks and sounds better here than with the old look.

It would be nice if WXYZ would get the 2012 weather graphics fully implemented. The red logo from the 2009 package is getting rather dated. The logo is in 720P for god sakes. These look rather nice so I'm a little jealous...

I totally agree -- and not just the logo.. WXYZ is still using fonts from the previous package as well.. They didn't do a good job transitioning to the latest Scripp's package

4 years in August.

This annoys me more than it reasonably should. These Journal stations are going to be getting a package that's going to be four years old in three months. Presumably it will take months for all of those stations to get the look, so you're looking at a situation where stations are going to be getting the 2012 Scripps looks well over four years after it first premiered. That also means the original Scripps stations are stuck with them for the foreseeable future unless Scripps decides they can have their own look.

The only good thing is that they're just simple enough that they could feasibly last 6+ years.

No talent opens, I don't think they've done them in a while.

Are you talking about Scripps as a whole, or TMJ? Because there definitely is a talent open and it's probably my favorite graphic sequence of the package.

Are you talking about Scripps as a whole, or TMJ? Because there definitely is a talent open and it's probably my favorite graphic sequence of the package.

Just the noon show, which has to squeeze out every moment it can because of a grocery store sponsored recipe segment and The Morning Blend EXTRA during breaks, along with inevitably some window/siding outlet buying a two minute spot.

And even though it's an older package, for a station like WTMJ which had the same blue/white/red look going back to 2004, it's a much-needed change (along with the thankful gutting of the worst of the Wexler-era editorial direction). Now Trib needs to get anything new on WITI so they aren't caught way behind, but if they aren't in a rush to get even WGN freshened up, I don't see hope there.

Uh what endeavor?

WTVF will lose both and life will go on.

And judging from promos WTVF is running right now teasing a new set, they're going to lose both on Monday.

'TVF went ScrippsHoward with the GFX and STILL USES THEIR 1989-PRESENT(!) LOGO IN THE OPEN!!!!

Archived