Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

Nope. Not with Gray. Gray is fine on its own. And I was actually thinking of "myindywish.com" or "ourindywish.com"

Still, I agree with almost everyone on this thread (and Warren Buffet as well). Media General should disregard Nexstar and Starboard Value (and I'm starting to think they're fast buds) and buy Meredith because not only does it make more strategic sense, it also makes more financial sense in the long run as well (and among the reasons for it is that WISH is basically Indianapolis' version of WGN).

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, I agree with almost everyone on this thread (and Warren Buffet as well). Media General should disregard Nexstar and Starboard Value (and I'm starting to think they're fast buds) and buy Meredith because not only does it make more strategic sense, it also makes more financial sense in the long run as well (and among the reasons for it is that WISH is basically Indianapolis' version of WGN).

WISH is really becoming like Indy's version of WGN. After all, they got local sports and the Cubbies and White Sox on weekends, plus The CW and local news.

If you go to Richmond when Nexstar will buy MG, then you will see Local 12 News.

You mean Local 8 (12's owned by Raycom) and I can't see that branding on WRIC. Plus, I can't see Nexstar with WRIC, WAVY and WSLS.

You mean Local 8 (12's owned by Raycom) and I can't see that branding on WRIC. Plus, I can't see Nexstar with WRIC, WAVY and WSLS.

Let talk about Richmond for a moment. WRIC-TV how long have they had that current images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhc_ufMvgr4MdZGefYO-d76n-EEG7XS-wUvyVRUpka31oCMn5XUw logo? I remember that logo in 1994 visiting. It time for a change don't you think?

Is TVR & RIC tied for second place in the ratings?

The Problem is, even if Media General's board rejects the offer, Media General's shareholders could still reject the merger with Meredith, since shareholder approval is required for the merger to go through.

The Problem is, even if Media General's board rejects the offer, Media General's shareholders could still reject the merger with Meredith, since shareholder approval is required for the merger to go through.

I'd rather that Media General doesn't get bought by Nexstar.

Let talk about Richmond for a moment. WRIC-TV how long have they had that current images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhc_ufMvgr4MdZGefYO-d76n-EEG7XS-wUvyVRUpka31oCMn5XUw logo? I remember that logo in 1994 visiting. It time for a change don't you think?

No, because they would almost certainly replace it with some generic, forgettable, low-effort thing.

Is TVR & RIC tied for second place in the ratings?

The current logo's been around since 2004 (the ABC logo was added next to it back in 2010) after their stylized "8" was in a circle for 14 years. As for ratings, I don't know if WTVR and WRIC are tied or not since the Richmond Times-Dispatch stopped doing articles on sweeps ratings a few years ago.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/88872

Nexstar wants Media General badly and is prepared to take its case directly to the stockholders....

It does seem that the Meredith deal is a "poison pill" to prevent Nexstar from taking over.

I don't even think Sinclair was this reckless in their acquisitions. At least the companies they acquired were willing to be sucked into them....

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/88872

Nexstar wants Media General badly and is prepared to take its case directly to the stockholders....

It does seem that the Meredith deal is a "poison pill" to prevent Nexstar from taking over.

I don't even think Sinclair was this reckless in their acquisitions. At least the companies they acquired were willing to be sucked into them....

Meredith isn't a poison pill. Nexstar is because they do more with less by being cheap! Do you remember when KLAS got bought by Nexstar? Their helicopter got grounded and their traffic departments greatly reduced if not gone! That's one of the reasons why I think Nexstar is the real poison pill.

This is a poison pill. It is a method that thwarts hostile takeovers by flooding the market with new shares once someone purchases too many of them.

Meredith appears to be a white knight of sorts.

While Nexstar is the Evil black knight who destroys everything they conquer (cheapens every station they acquire via layoffs, grounding helicopters, etc.).

Meredith isn't a poison pill. Nexstar is because they do more with less by being cheap! Do you remember when KLAS got bought by Nexstar? Their helicopter got grounded and their traffic departments greatly reduced if not gone! That's one of the reasons why I think Nexstar is the real poison pill.

You're totally missing the point.

It now looks like MediaGeneral had to merge into Meredith in order to avoid getting bought out by Nexstar. They apparently had no choice but to make this move, which puts them further in debt and returns them to the print realm three years after selling off their entire newspaper division. But they didn't get taken over by Nexstar, which is apparently all that matters to them... ergo, a textbook "poison pill."

The problem now rests on if the MMG merger can go through.

If and I mean IF Nexstar buys Media General expect KRON, WFLA, WISH among other stations Media General owns in big markets to be sold to other companies and as for Meredith who knows what might happen to them they might merge with another company (Hearst has been tossed around) or they could just stay as an independent company and not merge with any other company at all. As I said before this is turning into a big time mess with Nexstar wanting MG badly with Meredith at the same time trying to merge with Media General. What a mess this has turned into.

Meredith is at a crossroads. Both of their major businesses have big question marks hanging over them. They could well sell to someone, even if it's not Media General.

Perhaps to Hearst if Hearst wants to consolidate its publishing and tv groups into 1. Maybe Scripps or they can just stay independent. Lots of possibilities for Meredith if Nexstar buys Media General but it doesn't matter how you cut it what a mess this has turned into.

Wow. I guess Nexstar must have decided that they were really jealous of Sinclair's "BUY ALL THE THINGS!" shopping spree. Why Media General, though?

Also, is it possible that another company could step in and make a counter-offer that MG's shareholders decide they like better?

Wow. I guess Nexstar must have decided that they were really jealous of Sinclair's "BUY ALL THE THINGS!" shopping spree. Why Media General, though?
It's because they wanted to buy Lin Media before Media General did (and maybe buy that as well).

Archived