FTV rumor regarding FOX O&O

TheRob

I do as well because Fox already tried to swap WPWR, and we saw how that went. A trade with KRIV makes more sense because it is much more fair than WPWR because KRIV is a Fox station in a Top-10 market, and makes five times as much $$$$ as WPWR does, even though it is in a Top-5 market.
I don't think Fox will be selling KRIV (or any of their legacy stations in that matter) anytime soon partly because it earns five times as much as WPWR does, which is quite worthwhile for Fox to still keep.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Fox will be selling KRIV (or any of their legacy stations in that matter) anytime soon partly because it earns five times as much as WPWR does, which is quite worthwhile for Fox to still keep.

Why do you keep repeating what other people post?

I am vehemently against Fox trying to have a station in almost every NFC market. The Bay Area and Seattle is one thing, but New Orleans? The other Big 4 networks have exited out of markets that size FOR A REASON! Plus, what if the NFL decides to shake things up to where Fox either has AFC or no NFL at all? Then Fox will have an egg on its face.

I am vehemently against Fox trying to have a station in almost every NFC market. The Bay Area and Seattle is one thing, but New Orleans? The other Big 4 networks have exited out of markets that size FOR A REASON! Plus, what if the NFL decides to shake things up to where Fox either has AFC or no NFL at all? Then Fox will have an egg on its face.

I know right?!! Like I said earlier, CBS wouldn't have a station in almost every AFC market. In fact, I think it has less stations in the AFC markets than Fox does for the NFC.

In fact, I think it has less stations in the AFC markets than Fox does for the NFC.

Hmm... Here are the "home stations" for all the NFL teams.

NFC

West

Seahawks-KCPQ (Tribune)

Cardinals-KSAZ (Fox)

49ers-KTVU (Fox)

Rams-KTVI (Tribune)

South

Falcons-WAGA (Fox)

Buccaneers-WTVT (Fox)

Saints-WVUE (LA Media [Raycom])

Panthers-WJZY (Fox)

East

Cowboys-KDFW (Fox)

Eagles-WTXF (Fox)

Giants-WNYW (Fox)

Redskins-WTTG (Fox)

North

Vikings-KMSP (Fox)

Packers-WLUK (Sinclair)

Lions-WJBK (Fox)

Bears-WFLD (Fox)

AFC

West

Broncos-KCNC (CBS)

Raiders-KPIX (CBS)

Chiefs-KCTV (Meredith)

Chargers-KFMB (Midwest)

South

Texans-KHOU (Tegna)

Titans-WTVF (Scripps)

Colts-WTTV (Tribune)

Jaguars-WJAX (Bayshore [Cox])

East

Jets-WCBS (CBS)

Patriots-WBZ (CBS)

Bills-WIVB (Media General)

Dolphins-WFOR (CBS)

North

Browns-WOIO (Raycom)

Bengals-WKRC (Sinclair)

Ravens-WJZ (CBS)

Steelers-KDKA (CBS)

Fox owns 12 of the NFC stations

CBS owns 7 of the AFC stations

Because Tom Benson owns WVUE, and granted an SSA with Raycom under his own terms, I fully expect for him to take Fox and Raycom to court and have it be dragged out to the point that Fox or Raycom blink, and the swap collapses.

Or better yet, an incensed Tom Benson petitions the league to move the Saints to the AFC.

Hmm... Here are the "home stations" for all the NFL teams.

NFC

West

Seahawks-KCPQ (Tribune)

Cardinals-KSAZ (Fox)

49ers-KTVU (Fox)

Rams-KTVI (Tribune)

South

Falcons-WAGA (Fox)

Buccaneers-WTVT (Fox)

Saints-WVUE (LA Media [Raycom])

Panthers-WJZY (Fox)

East

Cowboys-KDFW (Fox)

Eagles-WTXF (Fox)

Giants-WNYW (Fox)

Redskins-WTTG (Fox)

North

Vikings-KMSP (Fox)

Packers-WLUK (Sinclair)

Lions-WJBK (Fox)

Bears-WFLD (Fox)

AFC

West

Broncos-KCNC (CBS)

Raiders-KPIX (CBS)

Chiefs-KCTV (Meredith)

Chargers-KFMB (Midwest)

South

Texans-KHOU (Tegna)

Titans-WTVF (Scripps)

Colts-WTTV (Tribune)

Jaguars-WJAX (Bayshore [Cox])

East

Jets-WCBS (CBS)

Patriots-WBZ (CBS)

Bills-WIVB (Media General)

Dolphins-WFOR (CBS)

North

Browns-WOIO (Raycom)

Bengals-WKRC (Sinclair)

Ravens-WJZ (CBS)

Steelers-KDKA (CBS)

Fox owns 12 of the NFC stations

CBS owns 7 of the AFC stations

The Packers have two markets. WITI (Tribune) in Milwaukee is their other main station.

The Packers have two markets. WITI (Tribune) in Milwaukee is their other main station.

One thing I doubt though is that if Fox is able to get a station in every NFC market that they would go for WLUK because it is in a small market.

Logically, it makes sense for Fox to want an O&O in higher rated or higher performing NFC markets.

Despite its market size, New Orleans has been a high performing football market. Same with Seattle, especially now with the Seahawks doing do well.

So, rather than settle for a small piece of the retrans cash, via reverse compensation from Benson/Raycom and Tribune, why not control all the ad dollars and retrans cash in those markets.

The problem becomes what to trade to secure those markets. Orlando for New Orleans, market size wise, may seem like a downgrade. But if WVUE bills higher than WOFL, during the NFL season, it's worth it financially speaking.

Seattle, though, is the one they can't seem to crack. Cox probably is still sour over whatever behind the scenes masinations led to the KTVU/WFXT swap. So KIRO is out. Sinclair nor Tegna are likely to give up their stations.

One thing I doubt though is that if Fox is able to get a station in every NFC market that they would go for WLUK because it is in a small market.

If Fox is so desperate to own stations in NFC markets, then why did they sell WITI and KTVI in the first place?

If Fox is so desperate to own stations in NFC markets, then why did they sell WITI and KTVI in the first place?

Fox regrets selling those stations and the only reason they sold them was so Murdoch could purchase the Wall Street Journal or whatever paper he was trying to buy.

I will say as long as Tom Benson is alive, there is no way that WVUE will get sold off to FOX. I look at it like this, if your FOX, you need to stay in line and not piss off an owner of a NFL Franchise. Because if you do that, there will more than likely be a call to Roger Goddell to drop you as a media partner if you are being openly hostile to an owner of an NFL Franchise.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. All Benson and Co. have to do is sit back and do nothing. As long as he wants to keep the station, he will do so. The NFL will not get involved in such petty things. WVUE after all is not a part of The Saints franchise, so the NFL could care less if FOX is trying to make a move at buying the station. There are other ways that Benson/Saints (if he so chooses) can do, to punish FOX if they ever succeeded in taking over the station.

And in reality, nothing will get done anytime soon as Benson and his wife are embroiled in a legal dispute with his children. Plus there's the issue of Benson's health and his capacity to run his businesses. Once things get settled legally, then things will fall in place. Until then, it's wait and see.

Fox regrets selling those stations and the only reason they sold them was so Murdoch could purchase the Wall Street Journal or whatever paper he was trying to buy.

Then Fox should have stepped in and purchased the LocalTV group when they were put on the market.

Archived